• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously, has a better movie been made in the last twenty years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mifune

Mehmber
unforgiven_ver2.jpg.jpg

Just watched this again, and it floored me...again. I always considered Clint to be a competent filmmaker, but this movie is so far beyond what he should be capable of making. And he hasn't come close to it since (although I still haven't seen Letters from Iwo Jima). The acting, direction, cinematography, and score are just on another level entirely. Not to mention that David Webb Peoples' screenplay is just about the most perfect ever written.

I remember when I was in high school and this movie first came out. I just didn't get it. I watched it twice and didn't see what was so incredible about it. At face value, the storyline is really simple and obvious. The pacing is plodding. It takes forever to say something that seemed at the time to be pretty rote.

But now it really means something. And it's one of those movies that, like say Vertigo, gets better as both you and it age.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
I didn't care for it, really. Wasn't up to par with fistful of dollars.

But obviously it's better than stuff we get these days.

Maybe The Departed, Goodfellas, or Training Day.... No they dont, Unforgiven blew me away the first time I saw it, pure godliness.... Clint is the man

Kevtones

Totally agree with everything you say about the film, except that its the best of the past 20 years. I'm not sure what my favorite is.

Evlar

Banned
Unforgiven is great. If I were to take a stab at "Best film of the last 20 years" I'd probably start with Pulp Fiction and try to demonstrate if anything could top it. So far nothing comes to mind.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
BrandNew said:
I'm quite a fan of Eternal Sunshine. Yeah I know, not comparable, blah blah. But it is my favorite of the past 20 years, I'd say.

This is probably true. This or Shawshank. Or that stupid french one I like that would be pointless to post.

Tarazet

I don't see many movies, so I'm really thinking best movie of 1987-2000. And for me, that would be Schindler's List.

White Man

Man, PD, that movie would have been so fucking awesome. If only it had Robin Williams in it. Or Fatsuit-era Eddie Murphy.

Goodfellas>Unforgiven
Pulp Fiction>Unforgiven
Shawshank Redemption>Unforgiven
The Usual Suspects>Unforgiven
Silence of the Lambs>Unforgiven
Beauty and the Beast>Unforgiven
Gladiator>Unforgiven
A Beautiful Mind>Unforgiven

That's just a few movies. Seems like Goodfellas or Pulp Fiction should be noted as the best films of the 90s, or at least higher on the list than Unforgiven

White Man

PhoenixDark said:
That's just a few movies. Seems like Goodfellas or Pulp Fiction should be noted as the best films of the 90s, or at least higher on the list than Unforgiven

Best American films.

RumpledForeskin said:
What a overrated movie. The most exciting part was seeing the shit part.

I disagree. I find the part where Renton finds the motivation and the means to clean himself up and leave the life of addiction behind quite inspiring. That guy could be anyone, even the quiet dude in the cubicle next to you. you never know...

Mifune

Mehmber
To be honest, I'm not sure if Unforgiven is my favorite movie of the last twenty years, but it's up there. I should have just called it an appreciation thread. Now I'm gonna have to read about a hundred "Goodfellas says hello!" posts.

In the Mood for Love is awesome, but I guess I'm thinking along the lines of more mainstream fare.

Oh, and Unforgiven kicks the shit out of entertaining yet soulless exercises in style like Trainspotting and Pulp Fiction.

oh my gosh, today i was just thinking about how great unforgiven is.

kudos to you

and pulp fiction is and always will be overrated. but, i won't deny it's great.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
evlcookie said:
FLM02012~The-Usual-Suspects-Posters.jpg

And i love shawshank. Is the book it's based on better than the film?
Sorry for the OT question :D

you ever read eberts review? It actually does kind of ruin this movie.

J2 Cool

Unforgiven is overrated. Maybe it's just because I watch Leone's films so often but Unforgiven doesn't even hang with them. Anyway, I'm partial to Goodfellas, T2, Hoop Dreams, Pulp Fiction, Big Lebowski, Iron Giant, Eternal Sunshine, Spirited Away, Lost in Translation, Before Sunset, and Batman Begins.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
msdstc said:
you ever read eberts review? It actually does kind of ruin this movie.

His review of the usual suspects? Yea i did. And i loved it for the ride it gave, the twist.
Each to their own of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom