• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo planning to release large amounts of ARMS backstory/lore

The next game needs a single player campaign! Imagine 1v100 but expanded into a full on beat 'em up with multiple enemy types and bosses. So much potential.

I really want an action/platformer out of ARMS. Your arms are the grappling hook. Use a well controlled punch to navigate around laser beams and hit a button in the end. Punch downwards to be propelled in the air. I know this probably wouldn't be a story mode fitting for ARMS: The Fighting Game but I hope the franchise expands later.

13ruce

Banned
Was there something missing on Smash? I felt that game had huge amounts of content. Mario Kart 8 had the same amount as previous games.

Adventure mode/Story Mode like melee or brawl.
It's why i only have like 20 hours of playtime in Smash 4 and like thousands on melee and brawl.

I could use more backstory for sure.
whew.png

Falchion

I'm down for this, 'gameplay dictates lore' approach. It's kind of funny but I'm looking forward to how they'll justify it.

oti

Banned
Everyone likes backstory.

I believe Nintendo has realised how important that stuff has become nowadays. They need unique characters with fleshed out stories so the fans fall in love with them.

That's why I think the Splatoon squids have a huge disadvantage here. But they could always introduce unique characters here as well.

maxcriden

I want to know how he said "because Nintendo" in Japanese. Just curious as part of my studies of the language. "任天堂てます"?

jlscool

I was pretty disappointed after seeing all the ARMS Direct footage with talking Biff when the main game has nothing but Biff talking garbled speech and in a different tone/pitch.

I was pretty disappointed after seeing all the ARMS Direct footage with talking Biff when the main game has nothing but Biff talking garbled speech and in a different tone/pitch.

That's because that's how Biff sounds in Japanese. his deep voice is a western change.

And like with Dragon Ball, I prefer that deeper voice instead.

Considering the brief tie-in that Splatoon got, perhaps an ARMS manga?

I mean, ARMS' characters have much more potential for an actual serialised story than Splatoon does, where the player character is a blank slate. With the ARMS cast, they each have specific styles, motivations, and possible interests to bounce off of one another in a story.

That said, some shorts or a more developed story mode could go a long way too.

KingBroly

Banned
If they add a single player story campaign with some meat to it, I'm in.

It's not really a game that I could see them adding a story mode to. It's just not that kinda game.

You basically have Arcade Mode (with varying difficulties) and Survival Mode here. Is it enough? Eh...not, really, especially since it's very hard. It does need something else, though.

heringer

It's not really a game that I could see them adding a story mode to. It's just not that kinda game.

You basically have Arcade Mode (with varying difficulties) and Survival Mode here. Is it enough? Eh...not, really, especially since it's very hard. It does need something else, though.

Why not? I could totally see a saturday morning cartoon style story for the game.

Why not? I could totally see a saturday morning cartoon style story for the game.

One possibility there would be building around the arcade mode. Ie, adding little cutscenes or dialogue interactions before, during, and after fights so that you at least get a sense of how the fighters feel about each other - not unlike what many other fighting games do.

It would be way more fun if the backstory would be totally dark and the exact opposite of the funny and colorful characters. Make it gritty just to stand out against other Nintendo games. Make it as dark as Akira...:D

heringer

One possibility there would be building around the arcade mode. Ie, adding little cutscenes or dialogue interactions before, during, and after fights so that you at least get a sense of how the fighters feel about each other - not unlike what many other fighting games do.

Yeah, that could work too. It doesn't have to be something super fancy.

It would be way more fun if the backstory would be totally dark and the exact opposite of the funny and colorful characters. Make it gritty just to stand out against other Nintendo games. Make it as dark as Akira...:D

I would like that, sure. Not happening though, even if Akira was supposedly an influence. :p

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Imho splatoons backstory is already pretty dark >.>

LotusHD

Banned
Yea... I'm just gonna stick to looking forward to more social media stuff. Expecting a story mode and what not is a bit silly.

I love the game and all, but I don't see you could add much more than they have. At least Nintendo is likely to show more restraint than the likes of Bungie.

Galava

They want to pull off an Overwatch with ARMS. More fighters with their own story, maps, lore... And I like it.

Today, I learned that Nintendo is aware of "Because Nintendo", but does not seem to comprehend its proper usage.

"Nintendo focuses on game design over story" is not a "Because Nintendo" decision.

"Nintendo produces 10x more Smash controllers than Gamecube controller adapters"
"Nintendo does not include proprietary AC adapter with system'"
"Nintendo says online sucks, GBA Link Cable is where it's at"
"Nintendo requires cellphone for voice chat"

These are "Because Nintendo" headlines.

Brenal

Ha,Ha incredible response but yeah they seem to be taking the overwtch route, wich makes sense, the mario kart team never had to flesh characters before for obvious reasons. It is interesting how splatoon and Arms handle their multiplayer and single player content. In Arms all modes are avaliable in single player and multiplayer while in splatoon hero mode is exclusively single player while Both salmon run and turf war/rank are multiplater only.

Top Bottom