• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

Delt31

......and now I'm an oculus owner! Found a used one with 1 hour of play for 460 and went for it. Looks brand new. Price was too good to pass up. Will keep vive and compare the two and then sell the loser.

wonder if the blu works on rift? It's steam so I'm assuming yes....that game stills impresses me and with the new octo at the end of that one demo, it's even better.

kinggroin

Banned
Is super hot only on oculus? I got a friend with a vive.

CrossVR hacker guy is currently updating his Revive wrapper app to add SuperHOT compatibility. Tell your friend to hang tight. Devs also let it slip that Vive support is officially coming.

I ordered the touch too. Don't even have a rift but the feedback is so incredible. Have a vive and enjoy it too. Def not keeping both. Might buy rift used and then sell what I don't want.

Hoping giantbomb does a VR special with the touch. I love ther rodeo videos of VR games.

EDIT:

wait - i just checked a quck video of ripcoil as I never heard of it. Is this basically a VR version of WINDJAMMERS? If so, I might have to jump on the oculus train asap. Although maybe it works with revive? .....checked and it does but how much do I lose by not having the touch controllers is the question.

Two things i really need to figure out is HOW MUCH better are the controllers vs vive and how much more comfortable is the rift headset. I might have to just try it out at BB. Vive own for some time.

The Vive controller grips are harder to press, but otherwise you get the same finger gesture granularity that the Oculus touch gives you, when using Revive. Thumb is activated by resting or lifting from the touch pad, index finger is activated with the trigger, and the rest with the grips. I was surprised how well it worked out.

The rest of the stuff (analog and buttons) are mapped to the touch pad as sectional clicks.

If you have a Vive, just try it along with the free Oculus Touch stuff. If its not good enough, sell the Vive and go Rift.

CrossVR hacker guy is currently updating his Revive wrapper app to add SuperHOT compatibility. Tell your friend to hang tight. Devs also let it slip that Vive support is officially coming.

The Vive controller grips are harder to press, but otherwise you get the same finger gesture granularity that the Oculus touch gives you, when using Revive. Thumb is activated by resting or lifting from the touch pad, index finger is activated with the trigger, and the rest with the grips. I was surprised how well it worked out.

The rest of the stuff (analog and buttons) are mapped to the touch pad as sectional clicks.

If you have a Vive, just try it along with the free Oculus Touch stuff. If its not good enough, sell the Vive and go Rift.

The grip buttons on the Vive controller are probably the biggest differentiator I assume (?) Watching Bullettrain being played on a Vive ReVive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73No8kx-Dsk it seems to be no problem holding the guns. I personally haven't tried that yet but I can't easilly press the grip buttons with one hand, maybe I get used to while playing, I don't know.

Delt31

The grip buttons on the Vive controller are probably the biggest differentiator I assume (?) Watching Bullettrain being played on a Vive ReVive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73No8kx-Dsk it seems to be no problem holding the guns. I personally haven't tried that yet but I can't easilly press the grip buttons with one hand, maybe I get used to while playing, I don't know.

Is it accurate to say that the touch "grip" button needs to be pressed to hold the gun and therefore I would have to press the grip on the vive to play? Seems like there would be an option to press once to hold like raw data or would that decrease the VR impact?

Zalusithix

You can't easily press the Vive's grip buttons with one hand? Must be a hand shape/size thing. I admit they aren't necessarily the most ergonomic solution in the world, but I don' t think I've actually ever had trouble activating it. If anything the menu button is more of a pain being out of easily accessible reach. (Edit: Valve themselves seem to agree on that last point as well given how they moved the buttons to the sides of the pad in the recent prototype, much like how Touch has them to the sides of the sticks.)

Watching that video makes me fear that I have no space to enjoy this thing.

kinggroin

Banned
Is it accurate to say that the touch "grip" button needs to be pressed to hold the gun and therefore I would have to press the grip on the vive to play? Seems like there would be an option to press once to hold like raw data or would that decrease the VR impact?

I'm assuming it's literally just the same as what's expected of the Oculus touch. You hold the grip to hold the gun.

When I played bullet train with the Vive, I didn't see a sticky option.

Thing is, on the touch, gripping requires like no effort. On Vive, it's stiff enough that you're always conscious of the pressure needed.

Delt31

I'm assuming it's literally just the same as what's expected of the Oculus touch. You hold the grip to hold the gun.

Thing is, on the touch, gripping requires like no effort. On Vive, it's stiff enough that you're always conscious of the pressure needed.

I can tell you that day 1, I never liked that grip button on the vive so if that becomes a bigger use for these new games, it's not going to be good. The hype on these touch controllers is so high - engadget saying best controller since nes revolutionized the industry. Very strong words so I want to see if this is real deal. vive controllers are very big.

+ (and that's maybe just me OCD'ing) when I grip those side buttons I always have the fear of wearing out the button mechanics by pressing too tightly, strong. I think I'd prefer a lock in/out method where you only press the button when picking stuff up and again when throwing it away. Maybe that's up to the guy doing the ReVive software and how he thinks the game should be translated to the Vive controllers. More options are always great.

Why would you buy controllers for a headset you don't own?
judging by ebay prices and limited avail - I don't want to pay a scalper if I decide to buy the headset. If i don't, I just return them money back.
Good that you had a plan, but in case anyone else is thinking they just want to mess with Touch: Know that it doesn't communicate with the computer directly or through any dongle; it wirelessly connects to the Rift headset itself. So without Rift, it's useless.

Has anyone seen whether it's possible to still use the controllers outside of Rift applications, just because?

Zalusithix

+ (and that's maybe just me OCD'ing) when I grip those side buttons I always have the fear of wearing out the button mechanics by pressing too tightly, strong. I think I'd prefer a lock in/out method where you only press the button when picking stuff up and again when throwing it away. Maybe that's up to the guy doing the ReVive software and how he thinks the game should be translated to the Vive controllers. More options are always great.

Nah, just grip it without worry. You're far more likely to break the touchpad mechanism than the grips unless you have some sort of odd claw grip going on. The new controllers should be available long before the grip buttons give out.

That said, I don't see why the ReVive guy can't make the grip a toggle. He's already translating input, so just make it an option that can apply to any game.

Enordash

I can tell you that day 1, I never liked that grip button on the vive so if that becomes a bigger use for these new games, it's not going to be good. The hype on these touch controllers is so high - engadget saying best controller since nes revolutionized the industry. Very strong words so I want to see if this is real deal. vive controllers are very big.

I also think the grip buttons on the Vive are a little wonky. I would often accidentally click the palm side grip button on accident. The grips on Touch are perfectly located and have a gentle pull. It's a major benefit having right/left specific controllers in my opinion. It promotes a much more natural hand position.

Delt31

how is the vibration/rumble of the touch especially compared to vive? Always thought the vive could have a little more force...

Zalusithix

how is the vibration/rumble of the touch especially compared to vive? Always thought the vive could have a little more force...
I'm curious on this myself. The Vive controllers went with high frequency haptics with a linear actuator on the trackpad - much like the Steam controller. This is great for communicating fine detail, but a bit lacking on the more forceful feedback. Ideally I think we should have two high frequency feedback devices: one hooked up to the touchpad/stick and another to trigger. Then put a more powerful spinning weight type rumble attached to the shell. This would allow variable tactile feedback for a large number of situations.

Heh, should have figured it'd have already been in the pipeline given how fast the guy works on issues.

vermadas

Got my Touch controllers yesterday. I started out having issues with the sound cutting out, Oculus Home saying my HDMI wasn't connected even while I still had picture in the headset, and frequent long stutters with tracking. I tried a different USB port for the second sensor, and suddenly, all was well.

I went through the First Contact demo and that was pretty neat.

Then went through the lengthy tutorial in the Unspoken. Casting spells and using my shield to deflect incoming fireballs felt great.

Then I tried Google Earth VR. Absolutely wonderful. It's a bit clunky right now with the trackpad presses being translated to pressing the analog stick in on Touch, but other than that, the controls are fine.

Lastly, I tried VR Sports Challenge. I found myself trying to squeeze my legs together when playing a hockey goalie to stop shots. The basketball was a lot more fun than I expected. I got so into it that I slammed the controller into my ceiling twice. After all that, my arms are slightly sore today.

I'm using the "experimental" two camera 360 configuration right now, and tracking is pretty good for the most part.

JambiBum

I'm pretty frustrated with ups right now. I was supposed to get my controllers yesterday but they got put onto the wrong truck and sent to the wrong town so they had to send it back yesterday. Wake up today to find out that it's delayed again due to operational problems at the facility. I called to see if I could just pick it up and I can't even do that. First time I've ever really had issues with getting a package

I'm pretty frustrated with ups right now. I was supposed to get my controllers yesterday but they got put onto the wrong truck and sent to the wrong town so they had to send it back yesterday. Wake up today to find out that it's delayed again due to operational problems at the facility. I called to see if I could just pick it up and I can't even do that. First time I've ever really had issues with getting a package

I feel your pain. I'm on hold with FedEx to see if I can pick up my package because for whatever reason the new delivery day is the 9th...

Can you complain and ask for shipping costs to be refunded?

Medium is pretty cool, though I'm sure legit artpersons will get more out of it.
uUeDnTN.jpg

Enordash

Looks like Amazon is offering a $100 gift card for Rift buyers today (in the US at least).

Has anyone had problems inviting people to games? I was attempting to invite someone on my list in Ripcoil yesterday and they didn't show up in the list. Couldn't invite that same person in Toy Box either.

Tain

Medium is pretty cool, though I'm sure legit artpersons will get more out of it.
uUeDnTN.jpg

I'm not a good artist but if you flip on that mirror mode and use the clay tool's line constraint and subtraction you can bust out cool mechanical designs really quickly.

Foggy

It's pretty impressive how many free games/software comes with a preorder.

Medium
Quill
Toybox
Dead and Buried
VR Sports
The Unspoken
Recoil(free with any purchase)

It's impressive. Regardless of the many problems Oculus has had, all the free software is nothing to sneeze at. After purchasing Super Hot and Dead Hungry, I should be preoccupied for quite a while after I get my controllers later today. Then there's the free software on Steam and the upcoming winter sale. Definitely worth the wait.

Medium
Quill
Toybox
Dead and Buried
VR Sports
The Unspoken

It's impressive. Regardless of the many problems Oculus has had, all the free software is nothing to sneeze at. After purchasing Super Hot and Dead Hungry, I should be preoccupied for quite a while after I get my controllers later today. Then there's the free software on Steam and the upcoming winter sale. Definitely worth the wait.

Yeah now i'm sad i did not preorder. WELL DONE SIR !

Zalusithix

Medium
Quill
Toybox
Dead and Buried
VR Sports
The Unspoken

You guys have a glut of software available day one - both free and paid. Between what Oculus has been saving for the Touch launch and the tons of stuff that's been developed and released on Steam over the past 7+ months, I don't think there's ever been a new accessory released with so much support out of the box.

Bookoo

So for now what are the must try/have for you guys?

Superhot appears to be a no brainer.

SuperHot is really neat. I heard it's short, but I feel like a bad ass when playing it and hopefully they support it with new content in the future.

I just played a couple rounds of Dead and Buried and boy that game is great. The robbery mode is a blast and I hope that the multiplayer remains populated enough to find games. I was sweating and my legs were killing me.

I played VR Sports briefly, but that also seemed fun.

One of the reviews noted that since there are two buttons on each controller, you can't play a lot of standard gamepad games with the Touch because you would have to take your thumb off the left thumbstick when pressing the buttons on that controller. Touch games with artificial locomotion (or whatever else the thumbsticks will be used for) have that limitation too, but my guess is that games designed around the Touch will find their way around it/won't make use of all the buttons.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Within 6 feet of each other. My Vive play space is big, I was hoping to get at least half of it with the Rift.

I don't have my Touch controllers yet but someone posted on Reddit that they actually put their cameras 10 feet apart and it worked fine. Maybe try experimenting.

One of the reviews noted that since there are two buttons on each controller, you can't play a lot of standard gamepad games with the Touch because you would have to take your thumb off the left thumbstick when pressing the buttons on that controller. Touch games with artificial locomotion (or whatever else the thumbsticks will be used for) have that limitation too, but my guess is that games designed around the Touch will find their way around it/won't make use of all the buttons.

I think it's for the best that Touch games largely stay Touch games. Rift comes with an Xbox controller so there's always that option for the more traditional games.

I don't have my Touch controllers yet but someone posted on Reddit that they actually put their cameras 10 feet apart and it worked fine. Maybe try experimenting.

Definitely going to try that. I didn't realize you could bypass the distance warning during setup. Ideally I'd like to mount the sensors in the same spot as my Vive base stations, but I think that would be too far. I'd need a long-ass USB extension too.

Zalusithix

I think it's for the best that Touch games largely stay Touch games. Rift comes with an Xbox controller so there's always that option for the more traditional games.

Yeah, the Touch controllers are specialized input devices that shouldn't be shoehorned into controlling traditional games built around standard controllers. Those games have no use for the areas in which tracked controllers excel. Use the right tool for the job and all that.

kinggroin

Banned
I also think the grip buttons on the Vive are a little wonky. I would often accidentally click the palm side grip button on accident. The grips on Touch are perfectly located and have a gentle pull. It's a major benefit having right/left specific controllers in my opinion. It promotes a much more natural hand position.

Agreed.

Playing with the touch made me want that new Vive controller even more.

Delt31

Medium
Quill
Toybox
Dead and Buried
VR Sports
The Unspoken

so for someone who just bought the touch at bestbuy, do I get any of this? Recoil maybe?

Any place to still get in as "pre order"? Would like VR sports....

My Touch controllers seem to be taking a fairly lengthy detour through Ohio before they make it all the way to Toronto for tomorrow. I am a little concerned they aren't going to make it. They should have just flown out of the UPS distribution hub.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
My order was delayed for some reason ("operating conditions"...ambiguity reigns!) and won't be in til sometime tomorrow when it should have arrived yesterday. Meh.

Top Bottom