• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread needs more Super Sonic
PjnBV.jpg

For me, the best would be Unleashed, by far. An insane variety of music, even for a Sonic game, spanning numerous genres/cultures. So goooood.

Sciz

06 isn't bad, but it's been topped by everything after it. It wasn't even the best when it was the new... err, "hot shit".

'06 isn't the best soundtrack to just sit down and listen to, but it's really great mood-setting music. I use a lot of it (and Unleashed) as replacement BGM in WoW.
I suspect this has a lot to do with why I still subscribe to the game.

Prison Island made it onto the list for similar reasons. It's no less harsh and tuneless than most of the rest of what passes for Shadow's music, but then the piano goes completely nuts in the best possible way and I can't help but love it to bits.

Hey, we finally got our Community Thread! I have to say the OP looks like it has a bunch of informative text, but the pictures are kind of random, and some are low quality... I also think the fan art guideline is a little too weak and abusable, but still, congrats on getting it together.

Great work on the Community Thread. Seeing Sonic X hits a nice nostalgia spot for me. I always wanted to see a fourth season. But of course, if we got that, then we would get more of this horrible creature.

018chris.jpg

Oh lord, what a horrible character.

I'll say this here once: Chris was pretty much the best of a bad situation. It's pretty much standard for the type of anime they were making, some "normal" kid had to tag along with the magical animals and their adventures, the ideas being kids could more readily imagine themselves in Chris' place.

That said, we could have been way worse off.
  1. We could have had a whole bunch of kids. When the show was first promoted, it was implied we'd have all of Chris' school friends tagging along. Instead, Danny went on like one mission, the girl on one mission, that was about it. Sonic also took Helen on a special trip one episode, but that's not the same thing, and still a once-only event.
  2. Chris was not a "normal" kid. He was actually a bit of a spoiled rich kid, which is not the standard archetype for this sort of thing, even if he still tended to be generic in his actions and reactions. He did also have a few issues which came out near the end of the first season relating to this, and I liked how Sonic pretty much just followed Chris and let him burn himself out, not worried about the portal home he was just pulled away from.
  3. Time does pass between Season 1 and 2. De-aging Chris' body was a bit of a cop-out they didn't do enough with, but there were changes to all the cast members, Chuck passed away... it does change some of Chris' actions, like his decision to go reason with Dr. Eggman about finding a way back home from Sonic's dimension.
  4. Gave Sonic an excuse to get really pissed now and then, and have some decent bad-ass moments in the show. 4Kids fucked these up so badly in the dub, particularly the Eggman "Threatening to hurt people is one thing!" speech ruining a moment of Sonic on the edge of losing his shit.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I liked Sonic X, and I think there's a lot it did right. I don't think a lot of people can see past Chris, or the first few crappy episodes (it sort of had an Odd good/Even bad rule going on for a little bit, then generally got better as a whole). It wasn't as tightly-packed as the OVAs, but X had a hell of a lot more major characters to cover, and 78 episodes to fill with content, a bit different from a 2 episode OVA.

And that's my Sonic X hyping done. If you want to watch it, go watch it subbed, even 4Kids offers that online for free now. Don't watch it dubbed, there's all sorts of edits and changes, different dialogue, completely different music that even excises Sonic theme songs that were used (Live and Learn during a Super Sonic scene for example). Even if you don't like watching your anime subbed, if you want to watch the series for what it is, (accurately) subtitled is the way to go.

Tizoc

w00t, glad to see my contribution added. Hopefully more people will now get to experience the comic series =)
I'm waiting for Sonic CD to go on sale before getting it. My goal is to first play it like a Sonic game...then NOT play it like a Sonic game.

Oh and I forgot to mention the Sonic X comic, which had one of the best characters in the series-
BB9tp.jpg

To me, the Sonic X comic is hit or miss; I like the issues Ian Flynn wrote, and there are a few one or two issues aside from his that I thought were OK (like Sonic and co. being trapped in the Sonic 1 video game).

Nert

I'm happy that you included the Wave Ocean song under the music section. It's really soothing, and upon unlocking it, I immediately made it the music for Seaside Hill in Generations.

I also find myself going back to the Unleashed soundtrack a lot. Its myriad cultural influences give it so much variety.

Hey, we finally got our Community Thread! I have to say the OP looks like it has a bunch of informative text, but the pictures are kind of random, and some are low quality... I also think the fan art guideline is a little too weak and abusable, but still, congrats on getting it together.
I added what art pieces I could to each section (Google had to be my helper, since Shadi was unfortunately busy), and decided to turn the joke-ness up to 11 for the Game section. I have no regrets, except for not being able to find a funny picture for the Dreamcast era.

Sciz

but the pictures are kind of random, and some are low quality...

As far as some of the sound staff are concerned, those are literally the only pictures available. Secretive lot, that.

I like to pretend that the rest of the series was like the first episode and the handful that threw logic out the window and went for sheer camp value, which is what the comic did so wel-

Oh and I forgot to mention the Sonic X comic, which had one of the best characters in the series-

This, yes.

I have no regrets, except for not being able to find a funny picture for the Dreamcast era.

Man, that's the easy one.

emeraldcoast_shot4m9qli.jpg

Kokonoe

Banned
As for Sonic X, I never actually completed the show, last time I was watching it new every weekend, there apparently was an evil Sonic. Either way, I did happen to enjoy this show quite a bit, my only real issues being Chris.

He's kinda just...there, no true purpose to the show other than he's a human boy. I did love how they put Sonic Adventure, and other Sonic games into the show, pretty dang cool.

jman2050

A general Sonic thread? Woo.

Sonic X is "bad", but in the regular "haha it's kid-friendly" kind of "bad", I enjoyed it for what it was.

Well, at least until Season 3 when it went straight into regular bad, but that's another discussion altogether.

Gravijah

as a kid i always wanted to watch the sonic cartoon, but i don't think it came on a station i had. i tried watching it recently, but without the nostalgia...

Kokonoe

Banned
I watched all the ones that aired in America. SatAM, Sonic Underground(I disliked underground at the time as well), and AoStH.
I remember they stopped showing them for many years, but than I was able to catch AoStH on some alternate Disney Channel on Dish Network a few years ago.

I haven't watched SatAM in a very long time, I should really catch up on it again.

DeVeAn

Very cool idea. I just hope I can pop in and not see garbage pics or stories about furries and such non-sense. Looking forward to see what happens with Sonic 4 Ep2.

Tizoc

Very cool idea. I just hope I can pop in and not see garbage pics or stories about furries and such non-sense. Looking forward to see what happens with Sonic 4 Ep2.
Don't count on it brother...but here have some badass art-
2iS0i.jpg

So who're you fav. artists for the Sonic comic? Mine are a tie between Yardley! and Ben Bates. Granted I'm sort of cheating here since they were the main artists for much of the issues since Ian started writing the series.

Best song in various Sonic games gogogo

Sonic 1 - Boss theme
Sonic 2 - Sky Chase
Sonic 3 - Angel Island Act 2 (sorry IceCap)
S&K - Flying Battery Act 1
Sonic CD - Quartz Quadrant Present (JP), Stardust Speedway Bad Future (Eng)
SA - Final Egg 2
SA2 - Biolizard
Heroes - Seaside Hill
Shadow - Lava Shelter
Sonic 06 - Aquatic Base 2
Secret Rings - Levitated Ruins
Unleashed - Egg Dragoon
Colors - Terminal Velocity Act 1
Generations - Door Into Summer

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
As noted in the OP, this sort of thing won't be tolerated at all, and people posting that stuff will be called out on it. It just drags the thread down and devolves into people posting the worst things they can find.

This thread--as you can tell by the OP--is about legitimate discussion about the series in general, much like the discussions in the Generations threads. It's still okay to poke fun at some of the dumb things that happen in the games and other official media, though. Just like what we've been doing in other Sonic threads.

Just keep it clean and have fun, folks. ^_^

qq more

Sonic 06 music seems to be mostly forgettable to me. I mean it isn't bad but it just... never sounded something out of a Sonic game. Eggman's theme is cool though (and I like that they kept it throughout the series)

I don't know, I might be just bias against Sonic 06 and don't know it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I could never stand Marble and Scrap Brain's tunes. Both boss themes are best in class though. Green Hill and Spring Yard are also amazing.

I'd give best overall soundtrack to Sonic 2. Best quality-quantity ratio imo.

Marble is kinda so-so, but not liking Scrap Brain? u crazy, mon

And yeah, Sonic 2 has the overall best soundtrack IMO.

as a kid i always wanted to watch the sonic cartoon, but i don't think it came on a station i had. i tried watching it recently, but without the nostalgia...

SatAM or AoStH? I loved AoStH as a kid, but as an adult it's really just.. not very good. SatAM, what I've seen of it, was a tad too srs bsns and grimdark for me even as a kid, but the intro theme is fucking ace.

And to never trust oddly robotic parents with a white picket fence.

This thread is now about Invader Zim.

FreeMufasa

So, I'm playing Sonic Unleashed Wii, and I can't help but to go back and compare some of it with Sonic Unleashed HD.

I just want to say that Adabat is so damned beautiful. God, the lighting and environmental design is exquisite. All of the environments in this game are beautiful (ex: Chun-nan, Apotos, Shamar), but Adabat really stands out to me. A nice, but very muddy-looking video comparing both the HD and Wii versions is here.

So pretty. :3

10zmd0okpl.jpg
pamzdbvjsx.jpg

h52uplujh8.jpg
qaydv8ikf0.jpg
5shkqrhj8x.jpg

Yeah. I really think recent HD Sonic games (Unleashed and Generations) are underrated when it comes to graphics. I remember when I first played Unleashed, I kept stopping in Greece. The graphics just looked so good. Almost CG like. I also thought Adabat was one of the best looking levels.

Night time levels looked like ass though.

Sonic Adventure & Sonic 2k6 had some of the best music in my opinion.
Absolutely agree. The soundtracks from start to finish are perfect. Kingdom Valley, Wave Ocean, Radical Train, Mephiles' themes, the list goes on, such amazing catchy tracks. SA is no slouch either. Unleashed and Colors make a close second to these OSTs. SA2 and Heroes didn't do much for me in terms of music direction, but either way modarn sanic has had some sweet music in the last decade.
Yeah. I really think recent HD Sonic games (Unleashed and Generations) are underrated when it comes to graphics. I remember when I first played Unleashed, I kept stopping in Greece. The graphics just looked so good. Almost CG like. I also thought Adabat was one of the best looking levels.

Night time levels looked like ass though.
Also agreed. I liked walking around in Apotos in the restaurant areas. Such painstaking attention to detail.

sonic-unleashed-town-sonic-unleashed-12890565-600-338.jpg

The art direction in Unleashed can't get enough praise. Very few games choose a color palette as pleasing to the eye as this. And while many loathe the hub worlds, I welcomed their peaceful atmosphere and relaxing music. You can really tell they put a lot of love into the game despite the iffy results.

Pietepiet

The art direction in Unleashed can't get enough praise. Very few games choose a color palette as pleasing to the eye as this. And while many loathe the hub worlds, I welcomed their peaceful atmosphere and relaxing music. You can really tell they put a lot of love into the game despite the iffy results.

Agreed, Unleashed is gorgeous. A very welcome change of scenery from a ton of games that came out around the same time. Very glad that Generations continued the trend. Both games look amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom