• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Jasoco

Banned
Thanks for this thread! I love these guys.

Edit: Just watched the third Half in the Bag about Paul and Toronto Comicon. So good. Especially at the end when Jake Lloyd (Who for some reason looks a lot like Elijah Wood with facial hair now.) is in the background waving his arms in the air at the camera. He had no idea who those guys were. And it's hilarious. I hope when he got home that night he looked up RedLetterMedia. Actually, I hope he never does given what they said about him. lol

I haven't watched too many of Plinkett's reviews, but honestly, I felt his Star Wars reviews became needlessly bloated and self-indulgent with the rise of his popularity. The whole basement dweller/serial-killer shtick just got more outlandish and dragged things down. I started watching the 'sequel' with the hooker confronting him, but couldn't stomach it after very long.

I almost feel obligated to do my own 'fan edit' of the SW reviews.

clip

Exclamation-One said:
I haven't watched too many of Plinkett's reviews, but honestly, I felt his Star Wars reviews became needlessly bloated and self-indulgent with the rise of his popularity. The whole basement dweller/serial-killer shtick just got more outlandish and dragged things down. I started watching the 'sequel' with the hooker confronting him, but couldn't stomach it after very long.

I almost feel obligated to do my own 'fan edit' of the SW reviews.

He's actually toned it down and made it a little more coherent after complaints about it in the Phantom Menace reviews.

clip said:
He's actually toned it down and made it a little more coherent after complaints about it in the Phantom Menace reviews.

I thought it was the worst in episode 2.

episode 3 pretty much doesn't have any of it.

seat

*clicks thread "Please be a new review, please be a new review"*

*sees its the stupid version*

FFFUUUUUUUUUU

They're not Plinkett reviews (and how could those even be topped?), but Half in the Bag episodes are still extremely funny and entertaining.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
They're not Plinkett reviews (and how could those even be topped?), but Half in the Bag episodes are still extremely funny and entertaining.

Especially in the case of Jack and Jill which they dismantled in two parts. Aside from cat sex, there's not a whole lot different in terms of content in this one.

Jex

Man, they really ripped this movie a new one. Not just from the actual 'how this movie is made' perspective, but also from everything about the movies production. Fascinating.

Chichikov

That was great.
In my mind, by far the best Half in the Bag (and I like them in general).
But it also illustrates the greatest issue those reviews have - they only have access to the trailer, and their type of criticism works best if you show and tell, not only tell.

p.s.
79mil?
Holy shit.

Taichu

I never really gave the non-Plinkett reviews a look before, but that was great! The last 10 minutes or so were especially hilarious.

Makoto

It's kind of interesting to see how much the Plinkett reviews have improved since the Star Trek 2009 review. I'm watching some of the Generations review (a review from around 2008) and it's pretty lifeless. The humor isn't quite there and Plinkett just sounds really bored. Really bored.

Sorry I didn't update this the last few episodes of HitB, but I didn't want to get people's hopes up of the Indy 4 review. I've updated the OP to reflect the new info. Also, apparently the RLM guys considered "Season One" of Half in the Bag over with the finish of the What's Your Number?/Black Ninja episode. So Jack & Jill is the first season two episode I suppose.

Log4Girlz

The Phantom Menace reviews was one of the funniest things I had ever seen in my entire life. I laughed so damn hard when that came out.

One sad thing with the Jack and Jill review was when they were ripping it apart for how much product placement there was, the main guy then said that it made no sense for the character to use a PC based laptop, he then says he should have been using a Mac book, Ipad or Iphone,
this wasn't some meta gag, he meant it.
Even someone wise to productiveness has been warped by Apples PR to such a degree that they think doing work on a fucking Iphone is better then a laptop.

One sad thing with the Jack and Jill review was when they were ripping it apart for how much product placement there was, the main guy then said that it made no sense for the character to use a PC based laptop, he then says he should have been using a Mac book, Ipad or Iphone,
this wasn't some meta gag, he meant it.
Even someone wise to productiveness has been warped by Apples PR to such a degree that they think doing work on a fucking Iphone is better then a laptop.
He didn't say or imply any of those things. He made one snarky, "Does anyone work on PC products anymore?" and then continued down the list of Sony products.

I was ready to roll my eyes and laugh along at their Sandler-bashing (over a movie that I knew would deserve it, sight unseen), but I watched the entire review and I think they're probably right :(

More Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison, please. No more of... everything else.

Easily the most talented 'wacky video reviewer personalities' on the web, though even that half-arsed description isn't doing them enough justice considering all of their original content as well
and frankly most 'wacky' online reviewers are pretty atrocious

Half in the Bag is so awesome, they really did a great thing there. I was actually sad when the 'season' ended

I especially love how in depth they go into the actual production of movies, as in down to the lighting, camera position, editing, everything. It's not just a "this movie sucks! LOL!" it's pretty good analyses on not just the writing.

He didn't say or imply any of those things. He made one snarky, "Does anyone work on PC products anymore?" and then continued down the list of Sony products.

Starts at 10:32

"Even thought he's a trendy hip ad guy works on a Sony vio...does anyone work on PC products anymore? He doesn't have a Mac or an I pad or any of those devices."

the '...' Is w/ the other guy talks.

In a part of the show ripping JJ' for payed for advertising to do it for free with out even realizing it is a trucking joke and shows just how insidious marking really is and just how good apple are at it.

n0n44m

Starts at 10:32

"Even thought he's a trendy hip ad guy works on a Sony vio...does anyone work on PC products anymore? He doesn't have a Mac or an I pad or any of those devices."

I think you're missing the emphasis on the bolded/underlined stuff :p

---

Red Letter Media is awesome, more entertaining than most of the movies they review :D

rekameohs

Banned
Yeah, an ad worker/pretty anything creative design would almost always use an Apple product. Mike's comment just was a little broad.

narca

Banned
I seriously need this Indy 4 review, but have they actually stated that this is what they're working on?

Looks like I'll have to check out the Jack & Jill review though, maybe that will hold me over.

Top Bottom