• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Project Rap Rabbit (Parappa x Gitaroo Man creators)

Switch goal is absolutely ridiculous, put X1 there and PS4 should be where the X1 goal is, Switch should be priority. Portability here would be tits, but devs just want Nintendo to fail like always

Have devs not seen that Lego City Undercover and Puyo Puyo Tetris have done great on Switch? People don't just want Nintendo first party games

Ridley327

I'd also assume that a music/rhythm game is a bigger gamble then IGA's game, at a time when Kickstarter has lost some luster. They may need to provide more funding

I can definitely buy them having a funder willing to put up half, but any larger margin would be really unlikely. Unfortunately, rhythm games haven't really enjoyed anywhere near the renaissance that some other genres have on KS, so I have my doubts that this will even get to the Xbox One stretch goal.

I'm thinking it's closer to Amplitude or Shenmue III in that the success of the KS will mean additional funds from Sony third party, the difference here is that they are entertaining ports to other systems.

I believe that will explain the PS blog post but crickets everywhere else. Of the titles they are famous for, other than Ouendan they are all on Playstation systems. Parappa was even a fighter in PSASBR, which indicates a close familiarity with Playstation (like say, Tekken)

Yeah that's a better example.

It also explains why they were pushing Gitaroo Man so hard, since that was iNiS's main PlayStation game. I would expect more people to know Elite Beat Agents over Gitaroo Man.

Aside from the Switch version being really expensive, the actual stretch goals themselves are pretty reasonable. Sounds like they have a decent idea of the game's scope to begin with and aren't bogging it down with excessive extra stuff like so many other KS games fall prey to. They have a core game in mind and have their focus set on that.

MisterR

Switch goal is absolutely ridiculous, put X1 there and PS4 should be where the X1 goal is, Switch should be priority. Portability here would be tits, but devs just want Nintendo to fail like always

Devs want to prioritize the console that has sold 60 million units. That would seem to make a lot more sense than that the devs are out to get Nintendo. What a ridiculous post.

Have devs not seen that Lego City Undercover and Puyo Puyo Tetris have done great on Switch? People don't just want Nintendo first party games
......umm

Kaako

Felium Defensor

Get this garbage outta here...

As much as I want this to succeed, those stretch goals are freaking mental. I bet they went to Kickstarter for Shenmue's similar reasons.

ArjanN

Why? It's probably the only way they could get this made and Kickstarter has given us some absolute gems already, like Shovel Knight and Hyper Light Drifter.

I actually like that it's a kickstarter project since that generally automatically means a PC version.

dracula_x

I'm not sure they're insane as much as they're realistic. I always see developers here mentioning how ridiculous it is that some KS games have additional platforms or modes down for barely any increase in KS funding. That shit isn't cheap and it seems like they're being upfront about how expensive this will be.

Agreed.

As I understand, at ~ 1 Million they'll sill need additional funding to finish the project, but at > 3 millions they would be fully independent from publisher.

both devs have a history with Playstation systems plus Parappa did just come out again on PS4 so they see more chance of it doing success there

I think it will be funded but no stretch goal is reached. The first one is just too slimy and a big jump for the juicy ones after that.

PC release, god bless. I saw the PS blog post link and worried, haha. It sounds really interesting! Never played a rhythm game with dialogue choices, so it'll be interesting to see how they go about it (if they get backed, of course). I'll definitely back it for the digital download tier. Nothing more, though. I'm burnt out on Kickstarter bonus rewards.

Are you being serious, I'm unhappy about the stretch goal, but, c'mon man. get back to gamefaqs with that sort of conspiracy theory..

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It is kind of ridiculous a game like this would have to go to Kickstarter and not just get funded by Sony outright. I sure miss those days :(

takoyaki

Backed. I love rhythm games and Gitaroo Man, Ouendan and Raparapa are some of my favorite games ever made.

I think this game would have been funded really quickly during the videogame boom days on Kickstarter, but those goals seem way too high for such a niche game in 2017.

Charamiwa

Banned
I feel like they're dreaming way too big for the kind of project this is. They seem to aim at the same level of KS success as Bloodstained, Shenmue, Mighty N9, Yooka Laylee... I don't see how it can reach the same level of excitement. Good luck I guess, hope it works out for them.

Quonny

Why is this a Kickstarter and not just straight up funded by Sony?

Oh, right, because they (probably) can get away with it.

smh

Also LOL @ 15% of your game's content being for kickstarter backers only.

Maybe the Switch version is high beause there's a minimum threshold they need to do to grab Nintendo's attention/approval, or something? I don't think they'd have it be that high up for no reason.

I think I'll probably just back the white label physical edition. I don't know how likely it is to reach that goal but that multiplayer VS mode sounds like it'd be cool.

Ridley327

I couldn't tell you why the Switch stretch goal is so high, but I can't imagine it's out of spite. Ouendan/EBA did a lot better than Gitaroo Man, so there's certainly no animosity on the part of iNiS.

I couldn't tell you why the Switch stretch goal is so high, but I can't imagine it's out of spite. Ouendan/EBA did a lot better than Gitaroo Man, so there's certainly no animosity on the part of iNiS.

Yup, there was even an interview last year where Yano said that he still has a great relationship with Nintendo to this day and was hoping he could make a game for the Switch.

Since there's a physical version, maybe Nintendo's requirement to do physical print runs is higher than Sony's? There are lots of indie games that get limited prints on PS4, but so far those have been much rarer on Nintendo platforms. And so the stretch goal could be taking that into account, among other things.

muteki

Waiting on too many Kickstarters as it is, so I'll just spectate this one.

Have a feeling it will show up in one form or another regardless.

Zalman

Those stretch goals are ridiculous. Even the most successful Kickstarters didn't reach that. How awesome would it be if we got that multiplayer mode and versions for all platforms. A man can dream.

No playable prototype means no pledge from me.

I wish them success but in this day, where Kickstarter projects with high goals in some ways didn't pay off in the end, most people don't want to get burned again...even if it deals with people they admire in the industry.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ITT: people who wonder how there's a $4 million gap between the game being funded and a Switch version

It costs money to Port your games? Devkit? License? We got a thread were Indies can't put their games on Switch will nilly. Seems like these guys are being realistic with the money. Doesn't Nintendo require some exclusive crap with your ports too?

soultron

Banned
No gameplay video means I can't back this yet. It's really tough for me to say that since I love all of the games the creators have worked on, but I'm sticking to my guns. I've been burned too many times before.

My friend brought up a good point here:

g12ECLW.png

ITT: people who wonder how there's a $4 million gap between the game being funded and a Switch version

Because there's a bunch of stuff in between, including more levels, multi-language translations and an Xbone version. You can argue the order of platforms, or prioritising expanding the game itself over the number of platforms but they are not suggesting that they need $4 million for a Switch version, even if people want to take it that way.

oti

Banned
It costs money to Port your games? Devkit? License? We got a thread were Indies can't put their games on Switch will nilly. Seems like these guys are being realistic with the money. Doesn't Nintendo require some exclusive crap with your ports too?

I'm not saying there are no reasons. But people would surely like to know those reasons before committing to a pledge.

Top Bottom