• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MPC-HD v1.7.13 is released and final farewell

shiyrley

Banned
I still use an old version of MPC with MadVR. It's the only way I can find to automatically sync my media to frame rates on my TV. No worry about pull down. If I'm running content at 23.976 fps, it will play back at exactly that rate without compromise. I've never found another media player that will do this.
Can you elaborate? Sounds interesting

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I used MPC for many, many years before moving on to PotPlayer, if anyone is searching for alternatives.
PotPlayer is amazing.

I still use an old version of MPC with MadVR. It's the only way I can find to automatically sync my media to frame rates on my TV. No worry about pull down. If I'm running content at 23.976 fps, it will play back at exactly that rate without compromise. I've never found another media player that will do this.
PotPlayer!

https://imouto.my/tutorials/configu...-and-also-high-performance-software-decoding/

There's a second article about setting up madvr, as well.

https://imouto.my/tutorials/madvr/

MPC-HC has been my go-to video player for years but it's in a very stable state at this point. Hopefully someone steps up to continue the project but if not I'm happy to use it as it is for the rest of my natural life or until MS breaks it with the next version of Windows.

Yjynx

Would using Codec Pack be the better option? I've been using K-Lite Codec pack.

What's the diff from using standalone?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Would using Codec Pack be the better option? I've been using K-Lite Codec pack.

What's the diff from using standalone?
I didn't know people still used codec packs after Windows 8.

Well, I suppose I use LAV, but that's not required.

never used it but it is sad to hear something around for so long to just finish like that.

i used to use shark007 codec pack because i liked to use the windows player and it worked perfectly. however lately i got too many warnings by my AV suit that i moved to VLC which is ok but not the best

ZoddGutts

How do you change the subtitles timing in MPC? I only use VLC for when I need to use subtitles for foreign movies/TV which often needs to properly time for specific vid.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
mpv-screenshot-34cd36ycscv.jpg

GOAT media player

louiedog

Was always my favorite for desktop video playback which I don't do much of anymore. I've still got it installed and do need it once in awhile. It will be missed.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
That sucks, I don't like any other media players.

Hopefully others decide to continue updating it.

louiedog

Ideally I don't interact with the UI at all when playing videos.

Exactly. When I do have to do something having to deal with the UI takes too long and is too cumbersome. I shouldn't have to think about it to do something quick or make a change but it's a horrible mess.

Red

Can you elaborate? Sounds interesting
Running MadVR, my TV will automatically switch its refresh rate to match whatever content is played. The only limiting factor is the TV's ability to support that rate. Without MadVR, the TV will play content back at whatever refresh rate I have my desktop set to (in my case, 60Hz). This forces 3:2 pulldown.

Rootbeer

Banned
MPC-BE is the way to go. Also VLC, depending on your needs.

Lately though I've been using GOM Player Plus. It's a paid (but very cheap) version of GOM Player with some improvements. Native 64-bit, no ads (free player has a non-obtrusive static image ad that displays when a video isn't playing), and a great looking updated interface.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
PotPlayer is my main player, so much you can customize.

hmm weird, you can't close the program via right click on the task bar.

Pooya

There is not much to update with the current player really. Just get the latest version of LAV filters and extract and paste them into mpc-hc folder, done, you're up to date. There were very few and minor changes to the player itself in ages. It's pretty much as perfect as it gets.

It's sad to see it end but I doubt it will have much impact, as long as external filters and renderers keep being updated and forks like mpc-be exist the MPC legacy will live on

Paertan

Sad to hear it :( But glad to see there are many other options in this thread that is not VLC. Been a while since I tried VLC but I felt VLC was inferior then so rather try something else. But will use MPC HC as long as I can.

Skinpop

it's so stable and lean I expect it to be adequate for at least another 5 years or so. Last time I updated was years ago anyway.

cool tip: you can play archived videos by dragging the rar/zip into the player. works with split up archives as well - so if you have rar:ed video files, there's no need to unpack them.

Parsnip

There is not much to update with the current player really. Just get the latest version of LAV filters and extract and paste them into mpc-hc folder, done, you're up to date. There were very few and minor changes to the player itself in ages. It's pretty much as perfect as it gets.

This.
I haven't updated MPC-HC in a few years but always keep my lav filters up to date.
And that will continue to work for the foreseeable future, so no worries.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
mpv is pretty much the best video player.

I looked into it but it doesn't seem to be updated often? 3 months since the last build unless I'm missing something.

Nyoro SF

Nice to see it can continue, even in an unofficial capacity. It's a media player that's served me well for over a decade.

max-pain

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1812615

The future of MPC-HC

During the release of 1.7.13 an announcement was made, that it might be the last official release due to a lack of developers. Since then, several people have contacted the project admin (XhmikosR) with the offer to help. So the project is still alive. Basic maintenance tasks (like updating external components such as LAV Filters) are covered. Ideally we would like to get some actual real development action going too. So we need new and more developers.

What we would like to have right now is a list of important bugs, so we have something tangible that (potential) newcomers can focus on.

We also want to make a list a feature requests for new functionality that could be added. Preferably things that are easy to implement!!!

Everyone please share your thoughts.

Please link to an existing Trac topic (if it exists) for bugs/requests:
https://trac.mpc-hc.org/report/1

ty_hot

Used it ever since i learnt i didn't have to be stuck to old, heavy, ugly windows media player. I use CCCP though. Probably my MPC isn't even up to date.

When mpc is somehow longer compatible, I'll remember to import CCCP wallpaper for the next video player. Been seeing that for too long.

Pooya

madVR is used mainly for upscaling low-res content right?

That's only one of the things it does. Overall it can enhance any video to look less blurry, it uses your graphics card and can do very high level of anti aliasing, it's not some cheap filtering but you can tell it to do that too if you want. Just go to the settings and turn on all NGU stuff. It's very demanding but the results are instantly noticeable. It significantly reduces the effects of video compression. Have you tried watching some low quality video on your TV and noticing how much better looks than on your monitor? It's basically does the processing things all the TVs do but it's actually much better than those and you have control over its every aspect. The other important thing it does is to remove video judder. You play 24p content on a 60Hz display, it's not going to be smooth, madVR can mitigate that with its interpolation, it doesn't look like the soap opera effect on TVs even though you can get that look from it if you want. Basically it brings a lot of the features you see on TVs or home theater systems to PC but does it better.

Top Bottom