• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power (Dec 2008) Animal Crossing: City Folk

tim1138

Just got this in the mail today (seems like I only got Nov.'s issue two weeks ago).

Feature articles are on Animal Crossing, Chrono Trigger DS, Suikoden: Tierkreis, and Pokeman Ranger: Shadows of Almia.

In the news section Tenchu 4 is confirmed for NA release in early 2009, dunno if that had been reported anywhere else or not.

Previews are:

Age of Empires: Mythologies
Big Band Mini (DS)
Castlevania Judgment
Cursed Mountain
Elebits: Adventures of Kai & Zero (DS)
Fishing Master World Tour
Neopets Puzzle Adventure
Prince of Persia: The Fallen King (DS)
Rayman Raving Rabbids: TV Party
Ryger
Samurai Shodown Anthology
Shaun White Snowboarding
Sonic Unleashed
Star Wars Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duels
Wii Music
WWE Smackdown vs Raw

Reviews:

Away: Shuffle Dungeon - 7
Boogie SuperStar - 7
Brothers in Arms: Double Time - 7
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - 8
Celebrity Sports Showdown - 4.5
Dokapon Kingdom - 8.5
Dragon Ball Origins - 7
Facebreaker KO Party - 5
FIFA 09 All Play - 7.5
King of Fighters: Orochi Saga - 8
LEGO Batman (Wii) - 7
LEGO Batman (DS) - 7.5
Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ - 5
Lost in Blue: Shipwrecked - 6.5
Master of the Monster Lair - 6.5
MySims Kingdom (Wii) - 7.5
Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution 2 - 8
Ninjatown - 8
Robocalypse - 7.5
Rock Revolution (Wii) - 4.5
Rock Revolution (DS) - 5
Shaun the Sheep - 4
Spectrobes: Beyond the Portals - 8
SPRay - 3
Tecmo Bowl Kickoff - 6
TNA Impact! - 5
Transformers Animated: The Game - 7
Ultimate Band - 6
We Cheer - 6

Next months preview: Interview with Eiji Aonuma fir 10 year anniversary of OoT.

tim1138

Duck said:
Details on Animal Crossing please.

Walks through the first 4 or so days of the game, focus on the Festivale (think Carnival) and Bunny Day (Easter) holidays, three new city villagers and an interview with the heads of the localization team. I have't read the whole article yet.

botticus

Beaten :(

I'm posting my summary minus the (p)reviews here anyway since I already wrote it.

Nintendo Power - December 2008 (V235) - Animal Crossing, LIT

Cover
Animal Crossing: City Folk (Wii)

News
Tenchu 4 (Wii) - early 2009
Arc Rise Fantasia (Wii) - Summer 2009
DS RPGs in Japan
- Shining Force Feather (Sega)
- Phantasy Star Zero (Sega)
- 7th Dragon (Sega)
- Ni No Kuni: The Another World (Level-5)
- no NA announcements, but "likely candidates" for release
Blue Dragon Plus (DS) - March 2009
Lux-Pain (DS) - March 2009
World Destruction (DS) - Fall 2009
Flower, Sun, and Rain (DS) - March 2009
We Ski and Snowboard (Wii)
Again: Eye of Providence (DS) - Spring 2009
Mad Catz Rock Band 2 peripherals (Wii)
Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii) - no US release yet

Wii Channels (WiiWare/VC coverage) - now with ratings (good, bad, meh)
WiiWare
LIT (WayForward)
- expected to be finished by the end of the year
- couple dark little screenshots
- Jake and Rachael are the only survivors in their shadowy creature-infested school, only in contact by cell phone
- 30 levels
- move around with nunchuk analog
- use light sources to make a path through the dark towards the exit
- switch from top-down to over-the-shoulder perspective
- restrictions on the amount of electricity you can use before a fuse is blown
- five puzzle-oriented boss battles against corrupted school staff
- use IR to point slingshots, throwing motion for cherry bombs, shake to charge batteries
- remote speaker acts as cell phone; conversations influence the ending
- additional difficulty level, play as Rachael after beating the game
Everybody Votes results
Sandy Beach (Konami)
Mega Man 9 DLC
Groovin' Blocks - good
Mega Man 9 - good
Strong Bad Ep 2 - good
Potpourrii - meh
Plattchen Twist 'N' Paint - bad
My Aquarium - meh

VC
Cho Aniki - meh
Clu Clu Land - bad
Final Soldier - meh
Mega Man 2 - good
Super Dodge Ball - good
Mario RPG - good
Vectorman - meh

Most Wanted (Genesis)
Readers
- Sonic & Knuckles
- Shining Force II
- Mega Man: The Wily Wars
- Earthworm Jim
- Castlevania: Bloodlines

Staff SNES picks next month

Features
Animal Crossing: City Folk (Wii)
- commentary of first four in-game days
- interview with Ann Lin and Reiko Ninomiya (localization)
Chrono Trigger (DS)
Suikoden: Tierkreis (DS)
Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia (DS)
20th Anniversary - Interviews
Interview with Hironobu Sakaguchi
Playback: Blaster Master (NES), Worlds of Power books

Next Month
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 10th Anniversary celebration
Tokyo Game Show

Fady K

Im too busy playing Silent Hill HC to post but uhm, hello guys??? World Destruction and Disaster confirmed for US release! WOOOOO.

tim1138

Fady K said:
Im too busy playing Silent Hill HC to post but uhm, hello guys??? World Destruction and Disaster confirmed for US release! WOOOOO.

Disaster is NOT confirmed for US release, they say there's no word on a US release.

Tiktaalik said:

From the review it sounds like they dock it points for being Tecmo Bowl--it's basically a new version of the NES game--top down view, four plays in your playbook, everything that makes it Tecmo Bowl. The basically say if you like Tecmo Bowl you'll like it, just don't expect more than the classic experience.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Sega DS RPGs
- Shining Force Feather
- Phantasy Star Zero
- Ni No Kuni: The Another World
- no NA announcements, but "likely candidates" for release
Ni No Kuni: The Another World isn't a Sega RPG, is that suppose to mean something? :eek:

World Destruction (DS) - Fall 2009
So far away, probably for the improvements. :D

Still nice to see some confirmation.

LIT (WayForward)
- expected to be finished by the end of the year
- couple dark little screenshots
Did they say anything? No information?

Interview with Hironobu Sakaguchi
Oh, anything interesting?

dyls

tim1138 said:
From the review it sounds like they dock it points for being Tecmo Bowl--it's basically a new version of the NES game--top down view, four plays in your playbook, everything that makes it Tecmo Bowl. The basically say if you like Tecmo Bowl you'll like it, just don't expect more than the classic experience.

Would have been a perfect WiiWare game.

sprocket

Banned
tim1138 said:
Disaster is NOT confirmed for US release, they say there's no word on a US release.

nes was a side view. just saying.... :p

TreIII

Farore said:
December issue already? o_O

What did they say about Castlevania?

Transcript from the magazine:

Judgment Day - Castlevania Judgment:

NP said:
It's a scary proposition: taking a beloved series like Castlevania and dropping its familiar adventure formula in favor of one on one fighting. But that's what Konami has done with Castlevania Judgment. Fortunately for series fans, the developers are giving players plenty of content to sink their fangs into. The depth starts with the character roster; in addition to previously revealed warriors...the game features Trevor Belmont, Sypha Belnades, Grant DaNasty (all from CV-III), Eric Lecarde (from Bloodlines), werewolf Cornell (from CV: Legacy of Darkness) and a few villains, including time-manipulating newcomer Aeon. The game has plenty of modes, too; there are personalized story modes for each warrior, plus you can engage in traditional Arcade, Versus and Survival Modes, as a well as a Castle mode in which you proceed through Dracula's abode, floor by floor, while dealing with certain restrictions. And if you're not convinced that swinging a Wii remote is the best way to beat the Count, worry not; you can also play using the GameCube or Classic Controller.

THANK YOU. That's at least something! :lol

As for the review of OoE...some highlights.

NP Review (annotated) said:
"The most interesting change is the dismantling of the typical "Metroidvania" structure. Instead of a single, giant castle, [the game] offers a world map dotted with locations...each of which is a small self contained level reminiscent of CV games from the 8 and 16-bit eras. Some do have hidden rooms and alternate routes, but many are straight forward levels that offer little in the way of exploration. Instead the focus is squarely on action..."

"The host of monsters and ghouls you'll lace on your quest are an imaginative and well-animated lot, and most seem to be completely new."

"Unfortunately, the soundtrack has gone in the exact opposite direction-it's pleasant but generic, with none of the bold compositions and exotic instrument choices that made PoR so extraordinary."

"But the bigger disappointment his how little mileage OoE gets out of its new glyph system. ...The change is little more than semantics; where other CV heroes would equip and swing a sword, Shanoa equips a glyph to make a sword appear in her hands magically. ...The whole thing plays out almost exactly like the Tactical Soul system found in AoS and DoS. ...It's disappointing to see the glyph system merely reorganize the series' traditional arsenal of weapons and spells, without adding much of significance."

"...Hardcore fans will delight in the deeper challenges and more adult look, but with little in the way of new play mechanics, [it] isn't going to find a spot in the Castlevania Hall of Fame".

If you want the full review, get the issue. But I think I covered the most crucial points.

Any way, more linearity and a deeper challenge already sound better to me than a number of the last games, which I found too easy. So, I'll look forward to this.

And like I said above...GC/CC controller support for Judgment being confirmed may actually make me take a decent look at it now...

...and you're welcome. :D

"Unfortunately, the soundtrack has gone in the exact opposite direction-it's pleasant but generic, with none of the bold compositions and exotic instrument choices that made PoR so extraordinary."
Good! Hope it's more DoS-ish.

botticus

jj984jj said:
Ni No Kuni: The Another World isn't a Sega RPG, is that suppose to mean something? :eek:
Whoops, skimmed that one far too quickly. Thought they were only talking about Sega, and only about the three games pictured. To the edit button!

Did they say anything? No information?
Couple pages, lemme get a summary up in a few minutes.

LIT (WiiWare)
- Jake and Rachael are the only survivors in their shadowy creature-infested school, only in contact by cell phone
- 30 levels
- use IR to point slingshots, throwing motion for cherry bombs, shake to charge batteries

Oh, anything interesting?
Didn't seem to be. Talking about old Final Fantasy, and Away. I'll skim further for anything tasty.

TreIII said:

If you want the full review, get the issue. But I think I covered the most crucial points.

Any way, more linearity and a deeper challenge already sound better to me than a number of the last games, which I found too easy. So, I'll look forward to this.

And like I said above...GC/CC controller support for Judgment being confirmed may actually make me take a decent look at it now...

Thanks!

Emotions

I hope Sega localizes Shining Force Feather,7th Dragon,Phantasy Star Zero, Shiren 2 DS and Shiren 3.
Come on Sega.....
Good thing World Destruction is coming now we need the others anounced.

Stella and Loretta would maek a nice addiction to Castlevania Judgement . I hope they really put them in.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Emotions said:
I hope Sega localizes Shining Force Feather,7th Dragon,Phantasy Star Zero, Shiren 2 DS and Shiren 3.
Come on Sega.....

Stella and Loretta would maek a nice addiction to Castlevania Judgement . I hope they really put them in.
Sadly unless Sega starts taking crazy pills I doubt they'll be that stupid

Sagitario

TreIII said:

Thank you! :D

Hope +1 for Judgment :) ...

I'm disappointed to read that comment about the music of OoE, at least I hope it's good enough [PoR OST is really hard to top... Yamane+Koshiro, after all]

And I loved the soul system of the Sorrow games, so I don't see that as a bad news... and there is not grinding in the glyph system, right?

Emotions said:
Come on Sega.....

Actually, I wouldn't mind having a game released with level design based on Stella/Loretta mode in PoR. If it's done right, it could be really awesome.

ivysaur12

Banned
LIT sounds great! And yah for Castlevania with traditional controls.

But it seems that Disaster was confirmed for NA release?

botticus

ivysaur12 said:

Sorry for the confusion - unless it's got a date by it, no domestic release. The news section doesn't always cover localized stuff.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
botticus said:
Sorry for the confusion - unless it's got a date by it, no domestic release. The news section doesn't always cover localized stuff.
Yeah, like Mother 3 for instance :(

soul said:
any rumors or interesting info?
Nintendo Power doesn't do rumors

MoogPaul

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Will it get an Australian release alongside the European one? If so, I'll do my bit.
it already has an australian release date: Nov 13th.

I love how the news on Disaster is that there is no news. :frown:

Kevtones

Forgot about Lit, good to see it coming along :)

Castlevania Wii sounds more interesting now (considering the Castle navigation??)

tim1138

ivysaur12 said:

Nah, the last line in the article is that there's no word on a US release.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
botticus said:
Whoops, skimmed that one far too quickly. Thought they were only talking about Sega, and only about the three games pictured. To the edit button!

Couple pages, lemme get a summary up in a few minutes.

LIT (WiiWare)
- 30 levels

Didn't seem to be. Talking about old Final Fantasy, and Away. I'll skim further for anything tasty.
Thanks, Lit sounds like it'll be another neat addition to WiiWare.

botticus

duckroll said:
What does he say about Away?
- Away is a collaboration with Naoto Oshima who usually works on action games, so it was a different experience than other RPGs he's created.
- Pushed to introduce new ideas continuously to keep the game interesting.
- Sakaguchi <3 Artoon

These are usually pretty fluffy interviews. If he could choose one superpower, it would be to fly. But he makes it a deep response: "because beyond just allowing me to fly, I feel it might even change my view of life."

What was said about Robocalypse?

(if anyone's going "what the fuck is Robocalypse?" - it's another likely-to-flop attempt to bring an RTS to the DS without it sucking majorly)

Also, wasn't the first Spectrobles a really bad game?

Hive

Banned
dark steve said:
What was said about Robocalypse?

(if anyone's going "what the fuck is Robocalypse?" - it's another likely-to-flop attempt to bring an RTS to the DS without it sucking majorly)

I'm keeping my eyes on that game, too~

So far, I can recall two lousy RTS games released for DS: Heroes of Mana and Ecolis

Hope Ninjatown and Robocalypse are good!

botticus said:
Flower, Sun, and Rain (DS) - March 2009
Interesting. As a below-average-performing Suda 51 game in Japan both on PS2 in 2001 and DS in 2008, I wouldn't have guessed this for an international release.

MoogPaul

JoshuaJSlone said:
Interesting. As a below-average-performing Suda 51 game in Japan both on PS2 in 2001 and DS in 2008, I wouldn't have guessed this for an international release.

I think after NHM, Suda has a little more faith in the West than Japan.

DuckRacer

tim1138 said:
Walks through the first 4 or so days of the game, focus on the Festivale (think Carnival) and Bunny Day (Easter) holidays, three new city villagers and an interview with the heads of the localization team. I have't read the whole article yet.
Oh, OK. Any other new info, or is that it?

tim1138 said:

Then they just don't get it. Hopefully other reviewers understand that this is exactly what Tecmo Bowl fans want!

Top Bottom