• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US forbids any device larger than cellphone on airlines from 13 countries

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the cabin that is.

Royal Jordanian just posted this on Twitter with no further explanation as to which US department told them this.

C7X4nJ1XwAEQtLs.png

https://twitter.com/RoyalJordanian/status/843860881947725825

Update:

US bans electronic devices on flights from eight majority-Muslim countries

Donald Trump's administration has banned airline passengers from eight Middle Eastern and North African countries from carrying large electronic devices.

No American carriers are impacted by the ban, which involves any device larger than a mobile phone.

The ban would stop passengers bringing laptops, iPads and cameras in carry-on luggage and is thought to effect at least 12 airlines.

It is thought to apply to nonstop flights to the US from 10 airports in eight countries which are believed to include Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.

The policy is expected to be announced on Tuesday where the full details of the ban will be disclosed.

Update 2:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...irlines-heres-the-underlying-story/?tid=sm_fb

From Tuesday on, passengers traveling to the U.S. from 10 airports in eight Muslim-majority countries will not be allowed to have iPads, laptops or any communications device larger than a smartphone in the cabin of the plane. If you are traveling from Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Morocco, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, or the UAE on Egypt Air, Emirates, Etihad Airways, Kuwait Airways, Qatar Airways, Royal Air Maroc, Royal Jordanian Airlines, Saudi Arabian Airlines, or Turkish Airlines, and you want to use your laptop on the flight, you are probably out of luck.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39343971

The UK has announced a cabin baggage ban on laptops on passenger flights from Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia.

The restrictions, which also apply to tablets, DVD players and phones over a certain size, follow a similar US ban affecting eight countries.

Downing Street said they followed talks on air security and were "necessary, effective and proportionate".

US officials said bombs could be hidden in a series of devices.

The six affected UK carriers are:

British Airways
EasyJet
Jet2.com
Monarch
Thomas Cook
Thomson

The eight overseas airlines subject to the ban are:

Turkish Airlines
Pegasus Airways
Atlas-Global Airlines
Middle East Airlines
Egyptair
Royal Jordanian,
Tunis Air
Saudia

The ban applies to any device, including mobiles and smart phones, larger than 16cm long, 9.3cm wide or 1.5cm deep.

Any affected device will need to be placed into hold luggage and checked in before passengers go through airport security.

A UK government spokesperson said: "Decisions to make changes to our aviation security regime are never taken lightly.

"We will not hesitate to act in order to maintain the safety of the travelling public and we will work closely with our international partners to minimise any disruption these new measures may cause."

I have no idea who this guy is but he's verified.

"@thatjohn directives by US authorities with immediate effect (96 hours) for pax from 13 countries" - @ahfahad

No one seems to really know what the hell is going on.

Ehm... isn't Jordan one of the main US allies in the region and letting Western countries use their airbases all the time?

And who the hell is going to put a laptop in checked in luggage. That stuff isn't making the journey in one piece.

Got

Banned
Ehm... isn't Jordan one of the main US allies in the region and letting Western countries use their airbases all the time?

And who the hell is going to put a laptop in checked in luggage. That stuff isn't making the journey in one piece.

meh, I check my consoles in my baggage, never had an issue yet.

I have no idea who this guy is but he's verified.

"@thatjohn directives by US authorities with immediate effect (96 hours) for pax from 13 countries" - @ahfahad

No one seems to really know what the hell is going on.

Sounds like another travel ban type mess in the making probably.

Yes they've been one of the US' strongest allies in the region even during the nastiest controversies and military programs. As you said, travel, intelligence, aid, and a friend in the area is sorely needed. This is PR shenanigans at best considering the reality of travel.

One side of me thinks this is easy menial shit someone like Bannon and friends can fuck with to give chaos a stronger hand, while I hope cooler heads on both sides prevail.

Dhx

Grym

There are US Customs departments at Canadian airports. I've gone through the one in Calgary before.

Huh....never realized that. I guess that explains it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_border_preclearance
The following Canadian airports operate U.S. preclearance facilities:

Calgary International Airport
Edmonton International Airport
Halifax Stanfield International Airport
Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport
Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport
Toronto Pearson International Airport
Vancouver International Airport
Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
right...that's the part I don't understand. If this is coming from US agencies, why would Montreal be included...? (I don't understand the "combined flight" thing. Does that explain it somehow?)

Could be a stop in Montreal in which the passengers going to Detroit don't deplane. The passengers technically might not step foot on Canadian soil if they don't leave the plane.

Edit: post above corrects me

Huh....never realized that. I guess that explains it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_border_preclearance
The following Canadian airports operate U.S. preclearance facilities:

Calgary International Airport
Edmonton International Airport
Halifax Stanfield International Airport
Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport
Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport
Toronto Pearson International Airport
Vancouver International Airport
Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport

Over the summer my wife and I went to Montreal and Quebec City. Our flight from QC back to Seattle had layovers in Toronto and Calgary and we had no idea we'd have to go through customs in Calgary instead of when we got back home.

We also went through customs in Vancouver on the way to Montreal instead of our final destination. I always figured you didn't do customs until you were going to leave the airport.

Montreal is part of the US

The wording on the sentence makes it sound like the Montreal flight is part of the Detroit flight.

US bans electronic devices on flights from eight majority-Muslim countries

Donald Trump’s administration has banned airline passengers from eight Middle Eastern and North African countries from carrying large electronic devices.

No American carriers are impacted by the ban, which involves any device larger than a mobile phone.

The ban would stop passengers bringing laptops, iPads and cameras in carry-on luggage and is thought to effect at least 12 airlines.

It is thought to apply to nonstop flights to the US from 10 airports in eight countries which are believed to include Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.

The policy is expected to be announced on Tuesday where the full details of the ban will be disclosed.

Costa Kid

It baffles me that the US still has so many tourists with how horribly they treat them upon arrival and bs like this.

It baffles me that the US still has so many tourists with how horribly they treat them upon arrival and bs like this.

Give it 6-12 months and we'll start seeing reports of "missed earnings" on quarterly reports for airlines, hotels, and major tourist destinations (Disney World, etc).

As a side note, the revenue generated from the US tourism industry is nearly $1,000,000,000,000. That's about 5.5% of the entire US annual GDP.

What the fuck? What the hell else do you do on these flights? I pass the time by writing into a laptop while listening to music or playing my vita.

Amon-Lau

Guess I'm not taking my switch back home... D:
Unless Turkish Airlines is safe, I hope...

Nvm, seems like it's included...

numble

I think we can all guess exactly which countries are on the list.

Which countries? The countries that are on the EO list don't necessarily have carriers that fly to the US.

We have Jordan and Saudi airlines confirmed so far, and they are not on the EO list.

Pixieking

Banned
13 countries in the ban
US authorities have secretly required airlines from 13 nations to forbid passengers from carrying any electronic or electrical device larger than a cellphone.

The new edict was distributed in an email described as ”confidential" from the US transportation safety administration (TSA) on Monday.

The requirement forbids passengers from bringing laptops, iPads, Kindles and even cameras larger than mobile phones into the cabin. All such devices must be checked.

Bizarre that Jordan is on the list. I've lived here for nearly 18 months, and it's a pretty damn safe country (even though there's been a couple of terrorist incidents here, it still feels really safe).

Chichikov

So the whole point of this thing is to discourage tourists from coming from these countries, right?
I mean from a security perspective, what can this thing possibly achieve?
A would be terrorist would only need to get a transfer in a another country and they can take their death-kindle into American airspace without any problems. There are enough visa free transfer countries in the world that they wouldn't even need to go through an extra level of immigration verification (though I doubt that would be much help even if they do, I mean these are people who managed to get through the American visa system which is one of the strictest in the world).

Abu Dhabi where US does custom clearance and immigration is also on the list.

This is just a backdoor way of resisting immigration from Muslims.

Mimosa97

I think this ban concerns every " muslim " airline that operates direct flights to and from the United states. This is why it doesn't concern every muslim country because a lot of muslim countries don't have a direct connexion to the US.

I guess Saudi Arabia, Jordan, the UAE, Egypt, Morocco etc... must be on the list.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Must have gotten wind of something specific.

That's not where my mind goes with this administration. I'd sooner think these paranoid racist shitholes just talked themselves into it.

TimeSage

Another reason for me to never visit USA . I can't survive more than 8 hours on a chair without my 3DS,Vita,and my Ipad

Pixieking

Banned
Yeah, the only way this makes sense is as a back-door muslim-ban. So many journeys out of Jordan (as an example) involve transferring in Turkey, and Ataturk is both a massive international transfer hub, and only occasionally requires passing through security for a transfer. Buy a ticket that requires a stop-off in Turkey, and just take your electronic device on-board both flights.

Even if Royal Jordanian staff reminded you of these security procedures in Jordan, you could easily argue that you want your Death!Kindle to read on the flight to Turkey. They could try and enforce this, sure, but I don't see it happening. Especially since Queen Alia near Amman (the largest Jordanian airport) is still pretty small, relatively speaking, both in size and in staff.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So the whole point of this thing is to discourage tourists from coming from these countries, right?

I've heard this floated seriously as a goal of the Trump administration. They won't just physically bar visitors and immigrants... they also want to make them feel unwelcome so the end result is the same: reduced numbers.

Maybe this is one of the few inconveniences they could pass without much legal resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom