• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps3 controller > 360 controller?

nib95

Banned
I prefer the PS3 controller. Though the 360 pad is more ergonomic (if a little clunky and heavy). The triggers are better on the 360 pad, everything else is better on the DS3. DS3 + Real triggers = perfect pad.

One thing I've always liked about the DS3 over the 360 pad is that the sticks are looser and have double the diameter of movement, (1cm vs the 360's 0.5cm) which basically gives you double the range of movement finesse. Which is why racing games are so much better (imo) on the DS3. I also like that the analogue sticks are together, and that the face buttons are analogue (pressure sensitive) (360's are not). Perfect for games like GT5P.

Shins

Banned
webrunner said:
Whether you prefer it or not, you can't deny it wasn't designed with today's gaming assumptions in mind.
At this point, I've acclimated to the point where it's a non-issue. My brain and hands are trained to know how a PlayStation controller is laid out, and how to position myself accordingly. Ever since the initial break-in period on the PS1, I've not taken issue with the DualShock form factor. Its not uncomfortable to me, because I know how to hold it.

There's an argument there for people without that knowledge or experience, but having grown accustomed and comfortable with this specific design, that does not matter to me in the least. Unless we're looking at a complete overhaul in the vein of the Wiimote, I don't want a Xbox 360 pad with a coat of PS3 paint. I like what I've got.

Before using a SIXAXIS, I was a little miffed about Sony screwing up the triggers, but in practice, I actually don't find them problematic. They're not as specialized for racers or FPS's, but I find they work better when being mapped as actual buttons. I prefer that "jack of all trades, master of none" approach.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The only way anybody would say that the Playstation3 controller is better than the Xbox360 one is because they used Playstation and Playstation2 controllers they entire life, so they don't know any better.

The Devil May Cry example is the best example. Omg, i played DMC my entire life with Playstation controllers. Now i'm using the 360 controller and it fells weird, thus 360 controller sucks ass...

Sorry, the 360 controller is MILES BETTER than any controller i've ever used. And i've been doing this since Master System days...

The Playstation2 was my controller of choice (i even had one hooked up to my pc for pc gaming) until this gen arrived and we were graced with the wonderfulness that is the 360 controller.

Such a subject is not even worth the bytes i'm wasting writing this.

FFChris

Both have their strengths and their weaknesses, the 360s pad is probably the best console pad I've ever used though. Just a shame about that d-pad.

I still don't understand people saying the 360 pad doesn't suit action games because of the face buttons though. In my 20 or so hours with DMC4 I've never had any problems with them, can pull all the combos off just fine, and there is never a point I want to hit the buttons faster. The only ergononic problem I've had is with hitting the triggers on EDF2017!

I have to agree in saying that the 360 controller is probably the best controller of all time. If the D-Pad was fixed man that thing would be unstoppable.

Ranger X

drizzle said:
The only way anybody would say that the Playstation3 controller is better than the Xbox360 one is because they used Playstation and Playstation2 controllers they entire life, so they don't know any better.

No. I prefer the DS3 over the 360 one also for similar reasons that i prefered the SNES controller over the Genesis one. Seriously i've use like all official console controllers ever. It sure isn't a "playstation deformation" on my part.

drizzle said:

The Devil May Cry example is the best example. Omg, i played DMC my entire life with Playstation controllers. Now i'm using the 360 controller and it fells weird, thus 360 controller sucks ass...

Sorry, the 360 controller is MILES BETTER than any controller i've ever used. And i've been doing this since Master System days...

The Playstation2 was my controller of choice (i even had one hooked up to my pc for pc gaming) until this gen arrived and we were graced with the wonderfulness that is the 360 controller.

Such a subject is not even worth the bytes i'm wasting writing this.

I genuinely prefer the playstation controller.

If I had to rank my top 5 controllers when it comes to comfort and usability to me it would be

1 - Wii
2 - N64 (when new, before the analog stick gets all loose and broken)
3 - Dreamcast (minus the d-pad)
4 - DualShock
5 - SNES

Ariexv

Am I the only one who can use any of the controllers pretty equally? It never bothers me for more then a couple seconds to switch controllers... hell the last 24 hours I've even been swapping between the Wii-mote, Gamecube controller, and Classic controller for smash bros nonstop.

Bildi

I've never been a fan of the Sony controller design. There's actually no element on it that I like:

- the shape is backwards to what fits my hand
- the round and loose analog sticks, and the left stick's position
- R1 and L1 are awkward to reach unless I have found fingers on top which I don't do unless it's SSX or similar
- the split d-pad
- the analog buttons (I hate having to mash a button into the controller to make sure it's down all the way since there is no other way to tell if it's at the end of its travel)
- the four face buttons are a bit too far apart
- the start and select buttons are too small and tip to the side under your finger

I'd love for Sony to finally do a redesign. The 360 controller is excellent except the dpad and when I first used it I would hit the bumpers accidentally but that didn't last long thankfully.

Shins

Banned
Bildi said:
- R1 and L1 are awkward to reach unless I have found fingers on top which I don't do unless it's SSX or similar
My fingers are always placed on top of L1 and R1. I couldn't imagine holding it otherwise.

Bildi

Shins said:
My fingers are always placed on top of L1 and R1. I couldn't imagine holding it otherwise.
Unfortunately my index fingers naturally rest on R2 and L2. So I'm really disappointed when L1 and R1 are used as primary action buttons. If there were more plastic under the controller to fill my hand it wouldn't be a problem I think.

b_B

Banned
I have both and prefer the 360's. PS3's controller is too small and light. But honestly, who cares, mouse and keyboard own them both.

tha_con

Banned
So is there seriously no one on GAF like me, who has zero trouble playing games with any controller that falls into my hands?

Am I some kind of freak or something?

tha_con said:
So is there seriously no one on GAF like me, who has zero trouble playing games with any controller that falls into my hands?

i can use any controller fine as well

Ranger X

Ariexv said:
Am I the only one who can use any of the controllers pretty equally? It never bothers me for more then a couple seconds to switch controllers... hell the last 24 hours I've even been swapping between the Wii-mote, Gamecube controller, and Classic controller for smash bros nonstop.

It seems you're not the only one who can adapt. But this thread asked me to choose a controller so i did. Even if you probably don't have a major preference you can probably figure out wich one is your favorite.

Spoit

webrunner said:
It IS broken, though. The Dual Analog design was designed for the Analog sticks to be supplemental (and optional) control options. Starting with the DC/PS2/GC Era that is no longer the case- the left analog stick is the primary direction input, but it's still relegated to the secondary location.

Whether you prefer it or not, you can't deny it wasn't designed with today's gaming assumptions in mind.
Thank you, That's exactly what I was trying to say when I was talking about new features just being duct-taped on

Shinblade

Banned
Himuro said:
joy027.jpg

genesisb.jpg

Genesis and Saturn had the BEST dpads.

Correct.... for their generation.

The dualshock has been in my hands for more hours than any other controller ever...

I actually prefer the triggers and sticks on the 360.... but almost nothing else.

The dualshock just melts into thin air... ERR... IF you're using the Gioteck trigger extensions

screenshot_187956.jpg

Shins

Banned
Bildi said:
Unfortunately my index fingers naturally rest on R2 and L2. So I'm really disappointed when L1 and R1 are used as primary action buttons. If there were more plastic under the controller to fill my hand it wouldn't be a problem I think.
Are you hands actually wrapped around the handles similar to how you hold a 360 controller? A friend of mine used to play like that, and complained about how it was uncomfortable to play for extended periods given the angled handles and fairly constant need to stretch the fingers up to the shoulder buttons.

I've always let the controller rest very loosely in my hands, applying a bit of pressure on each side with my palms, having my index and middle fingers resting on the top and bottom shoulder buttons respectively. In that position, I find my thumbs naturally falling toward the middle of the controller, where the analog sticks are, and within good distance from both the D-Pad and face buttons.

I prefer the DualShock 3 over the 360 pad, but I really don't mind either one. I can easily deal with both.

But I'm a sucker for the PlayStation's classic, aesthetically symmetrical controller design over the years (digital buttons on top, analog sticks on the bottom), so yeah.

tha_con

Banned
Somehow I get the feeling that a lot of the people who 'hate' the DS3, are some of the same people who 'hated' the redesigned PS3 controller (the 'boomarang').

I just picture all these same people at E3 2005 going 'lololololol batarang lololololol".

Then being here present day and going "omfg they've had the same design for over a decade!! change it!!!".

tfur

Observing some of the posts about this, it is safe to say, quite a few people here must of had a difficult time learning how to ride a bicycle or use a stick shift. :lol

Rolf NB

The Sixaxis/Dual Shock 3 "triggers" do not suck in the slightest. They are analog inputs and designed to do that very well, that's why they go a long way and offer nearly constant resistance along it. They are not a compromise half/half-thing designed to fill in for a digital input most of the time. That simply isn't necessary. These controllers already have plenty of buttons that can handle digital states fast and comfortably, so the onus is really on multiplatform developers to pay some fucking attention and if they really can't make up their minds, at least provide configuration options.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I definitely prefer the DualShock controller design over the XB360 one. The 360 controller is just too bulky for my small hands.

CoG

I like the SIXAXIS better. My only complaints are lack of rumble and inverted triggers. Both can be fixed I know but it should have been that way from the get-go.

SRG01 said:
It's a bloody controller. As long as it fits in my hand, I don't really care which one is "better".
Which is why the PS controller is a fucking failure and they are assholes for not keeping the redesign. It's only good for RPGs, or other games where you don't really need to actually grip the thing.

Erebus

DualShock for me!

I've been playing games with DualShock controller for over a decade now, so it's really hard for me get used to anything else.

antiloop

tha_con said:

Same. I have never thought about it before coming to GAF.

I just played.

But I want this. I don't get the hate at all:

controller.jpg

DS3 is a fantastic controller. I have no complaints. FPS's are a pain on it though. I wish all future FPS on the consoles would give the option of kb & m. It's really the only way to go when it comes to FPS's.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
I bet the people shitting on the dual shock
a) Are holding it wrong or
b) Use it on very few occasions or
c) Have deformed hands
or a mix of the above.

Choke on the Magic said:
DS3 is a fantastic controller. I have no complaints. FPS's are a pain on it though. I wish all future FPS on the consoles would give the option of kb & m. It's really the only way to go when it comes to FPS's.

QFTMFT

JayDub

I dont think Ive ever had to carefully put down my controller like I have to with the SixAxis...the triggers always push in when I put it down. Not only that, but its hard to get a grip on it, my fingers constantly slip (or feel like its slipping) off the triggers, the controller is too light (though that might've been fixed by DS3), and I hate how loose the analog sticks are.

The 360 controller is almost perfect, it needs a better D-Pad, and needs to come with built in rechargeable batteries that can recharge with a USB.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
DKnight said:
c) Have deformed hands
or a mix of the above.

well, you got us. we think the 360 controller is better because we're morons.

i hate this thread

edit: As a PS3 owner and 360 owner, I say the 360's controller is better in all ways. Sony needs to design a new controller, imo.

JayDub

DKnight said:
c) Have deformed hands
or a mix of the above.

Or they might just hate the way that Sony designed the controller ever since DS1...I believe that the only universally hated thing is the triggers. Those who like it got used to it, but that doesnt make it good.

I've always hated that the analog sticks were next to each other, it only really worked for Gran Turismo and Twisted Metal. The 360 controller, at least for me, fits perfectly in people's hands.

MercuryLS

Banned
For fast action games like DMC and NG I prefer the DS3, same for platformers and games that are heavy on the D-Pad. For everything else I prefer the X360 pad, it`s why I buy most of my games for that platform.

Anyone know of a good adapter that lets you use Playstation controllers on the 360? I love the 360 pad but I really want to use the first Playstation controller because I love it for 2D games and it probably has my favorite D-pad ever.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
I'm just lucky to have average size hands: I can alternate between the two without thinking anything of it.

For those who do have problems... how about a 360-PS3 (and vice versa) controller adapter? Do these exist yet for the cabled versions?

Bildi

Shins said:
Are you hands actually wrapped around the handles similar to how you hold a 360 controller? A friend of mine used to play like that, and complained about how it was uncomfortable to play for extended periods given the angled handles and fairly constant need to stretch the fingers up to the shoulder buttons.

I've always let the controller rest very loosely in my hands, applying a bit of pressure on each side with my palms, having my index and middle fingers resting on the top and bottom shoulder buttons respectively. In that position, I find my thumbs naturally falling toward the middle of the controller, where the analog sticks are, and within good distance from both the D-Pad and face buttons.
Oh yeah, if I have four fingers on top it's fine. But I don't really like playing like that (unless it's SSX or similar) because the controller isn't very stable since I don't squeeze them hard. It just doesn't suit my hands - normally I never say anything because there's no point, but since this thread is specifically about controllers, I thought I'd have a vent :lol

Top Bottom