• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PC) |OT| Enter Erebonia

Nyoro SF

Uh... what? There is absolutely zero way anyone could possibly miss it. It's an important part of the plot.
This is about Prince Olivert right? That's what I was referring to.

Anyway, it's fairly early on as I recall. Don't remember time in hours.

No, I was referring to the (Sky SC major spoiler)
Aureole incident and the Orbal Shutdown
. It's referenced early in the game, and later as well, but is vague enough to not realize the impact.

As for the spoiler you wrote, that's a big one where I think enjoyment is maximized playing the Sky series first. But maybe it's also enjoyable to get spoiled in reverse.

Loz246789

Stopped playing for the night, it feels good to be back. Returning to the game spoilers?
I talked to Emma after everyone got their Arcus units. She says something like "I've not used battle orbments before, but I'll see what I can do", or something like that. IF YOU COULD ONLY KNOW, EMMA. If you could only know.

Also Alisa is not subtle at all in hindsight.
I feel ashamed to have not caught on sooner beyond the whole Alisa R. thing being suspicious in general.

Durante

For everyone affected by the Intel / DoF / MSAA issue, there is now a build available on Steam that fixes it.
Select the intel_msaa_testing branch in the BETAS tab.

Good night.

Durante! Great work on the PC port of this game. It really is the definitive version as expected, but man you really outdid yourself here. I'm having a blast once again, and with the visuals, audio and performance all being at the best they can be for what it is. Plus turbo mode! Which feels smooth as fuck.

Thud

No, I was referring to the (Sky SC major spoiler)
Aureole incident and the Orbal Shutdown
. It's referenced early in the game, and later as well, but is vague enough to not realize the impact.

As for the spoiler you wrote, that's a big one where I think enjoyment is maximized playing the Sky series first. But maybe it's also enjoyable to get spoiled in reverse.

That is indeed the biggest spoiler. There are others of course, but a bit more subtle. More a thing like that happened.

Anyway with that knowledge you might be interested in the older games if you're a fan of that character (who isn't?).

The sky games did introduce the main badguys best, because it was personal. Later games namedrop their affiliation, which is then still unclear for the player.

I think that's more valuable. Well and it made me appreciate doing sidequests more.

Marche90

Time to productively use the time at the office downloading this on a machine with a Z3735F and 2 Gb of RAM :p

Currently installing on my main machine as we speak, too.

Well, holy crap. It runs pretty decent on even THAT setup, which is well below the minimum requirements. 25~ FPS at 720p. Pretty sure lowering the resolution would allow me to get the desired 30 fps, but still. This is a freaking tablet processor, which has a GPU around 50% slower than the X7! Awesome job, Durante!

Only issue is that the loading times are somewhat more pronounced, but then again, it's running on a 2GB machine, so it's not surprising

I'm having a real weird problem. Sometimes if I open up the menu and then close it, the framerates take a huge dump and I need to relaunch the game completely to get it back to normal.

Marche90

I'm surprised my PC can't handle this game at 4k at maximum. Denied. 1060 strix not good enuf!

In a sense, I'm surprised at the amount of tweaking I need to do for reaching 60 FPS at all times. Of course, I'm running this on a 960M which is a way weaker gpu, and while a good 90% of the game runs at 60 FPS on max settings, cutscenes do need a better GPU to be able to reach the 60 FPS target. The options weren't kidding when it was warned that Max settings was for desktop gpus.

I'm suspecting that DoF is the main factor in those framerate drops in cutscenes but I'm still experimenting.

EDIT: Lol, yep, that was it. Turned off HQ DoF and my GPU usage dropped significantly in those scenes, even when running the game at 4xMSAA.

Mudo

I bought and played PS3 version about 8 months ago - beat in around 90 hours and loved every second. I was happy to buy again today and just installed it and selected "Max" mode for everything. The game seems smooth and locked 60 at all times except cutscenes where there is a constant stutter. Anyone have this issue or know if it's a setting I need to lower??

My PC simple specs are: CPU i7-3960x, GTX 1080ti, 32gb RAM, SSD

Durante: Incredible, amazing, beyond my dreams job on this. The game is simply STUNNING now. It was a real shock/treat to play through the intro this last 30 minutes. Once I get the cutscenes figured out it will be perfection!

Jolkien

So I'm 90% certain this could easily just be something on my end, but is anyone else using a DS4 controller and having an issue with running (not running-running, but natural running) diagonally? I walk instead. It's not a huge issue thanks to the run button, and it's a new controller, but I thought I'd check.

I have the same thing with my two dualshock 4, one of them is old the other one came with my Pro and on my ps4 has been working flawlessly. Probably a bug.

Besides that everything works great, glad to be back in this game and to support Ao and Zero I bought two extra copies for my friends. Come on Xseed, announce CS3 and Ao and Zero.

PK Gaming

Quick tip:

TALK TO EVERY NPC

Like a 3rd of the game's appeal comes from talking to NPCs and following up on their lives. It's some great stuff.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Just finished SC and am debating on whether to jump straight into Cold Steel or finish up the third chapter.

Nyoro SF

Just finished SC and am debating on whether to jump straight into Cold Steel or finish up the third chapter.

I recommend finishing the 3rd first, as one of the Doors provides an excellent backdrop to Cold Steel that will enhance your interest.

Momentary

Banned
Anyone getting absurd slowdown during cutscenes? Get 144FPS during gameplay, but as soon as a cutscene hits framerate drops to 17-40 FPS.

Running on Titan Xp with i7 6850K. Game is running at 5120x2880 maxed out with all the settings turned on and MSAA at x2

EDIT:
Okay... High quality Depth of Field at 4K and 5K is a performance HOG. I can't really tell the difference between normal and high. So if you have this on and are experiencing frame rate issues at higher resolutions, just turn this off.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So for anyone else struggling to deal with controller detection, at least on Steam, you have to go into the Steam controller settings and set up a desktop configuration. This may require Big Picture Mode, even if you have never used it before (I hadn't). Trying to set a desktop configuration from the normal Steam UI just gave me an error at first. Going through the BPM settings allowed me to select a template for desktop configuration. Using the basic "gamepad" template at least allows me to skip through the intro videos and move the cursor on the main menu. I'll actually start the game tomorrow, hopefully it continues to work right.

For some reason normal controller configuration under "manage game" in the library page doesn't work. And it gives a warning about the game not being designed for controllers, which is strange.

h8Mi3gh.jpg

Not sure what's up with me and controller issues lately, this and Cosmic Star Heroine are the first games to give me problems in a long time.

StereoVsn

So triple dipped mainly due to Durante's crazy porting enhancements. So far its looking damn good in 21x9 in comparison to the Vita version I have played (haven't opened my PS3 copy).

jrcbandit

Anyone getting absurd slowdown during cutscenes? Get 144FPS during gameplay, but as soon as a cutscene hits framerate drops to 17-40 FPS.

Running on Titan Xp with i7 6850K. Game is running at 5120x2880 maxed out with all the settings turned on and MSAA at x2

Okay... High quality Depth of Field at 4K and 5K is a performance HOG. I can't really tell the difference between normal and high. So if you have this on and are experiencing frame rate issues at higher resolutions, just turn this off.

Thanks for the suggestion, turning off high quality depth of field fixed everything! Maybe that option should be disabled for now, lol. I'm running the game on a 1080 Ti, Ryzen 7 1700X at 4k resolution with everything maxed out. Framerates in cutscenes were destroyed when quality depth of field was turned on.

Momentary

Banned
The port is amazing and the AA implementations are just top notch. At 4K with 8x MSAA and TrSSAA on the game is a rock solid 144FPS in the starting town of Thor. I know the game is not graphically demanding, but it is still impressive. There are games with non demanding graphics that can not even do this... Most of those being anything by Koei Tecmo.

Anyway. The Config menu is just top notch. Visual examples of all graphical settings along with thorough explanations / performance costs for each of them. There are high end AAA games that don't even do this for its customers.

Erheller

How crazy are hard and nightmare?

I didn't play CS1 on nightmare, but CS2 on nightmare went from pretty hard in the first few chapters to pretty easy.

Not unmanageable, and I didn't really grind - you have to be smart about orbments mostly and be unafraid to use items.

Again, that's for CS2, not 1. CS1 was not bad at all on hard.

PK Gaming

How crazy are hard and nightmare?

Hard's not too bad. Some of the earlier fights will be tough, but if you're aggressive when it comes to character building (ie: keeping equipment up to date, upgrading orbments, using the best quartz), you'll have a pretty straightforward time.

Nightmare's a different thing entirely. Without playing through the game once, you'll get your ass beat (enemies have 1.30x boost to their stats). You need a decent understanding of boss fights, rely on certain characters and OP strategies and be super efficient when it comes to buying equipment/quartz.

Hugstable

Banned
Do I have to play the other games to follow this story? I mean I know I should have played them but I want to support this.

It has got itsown story, but there are quite a few references to characters and events from other games, though much of that is more in Cold Steel 2 than 1

Kvik

The port is amazing and the AA implementations are just top notch. At 4K with 8x MSAA and TrSSAA on the game is a rock solid 144FPS in the starting town of Thor. I know the game is not graphically demanding, but it is still impressive. There are games with non demanding graphics that can not even do this... Most of those being anything by Koei Tecmo.

Anyway. The Config menu is just top notch. Visual examples of all graphical settings along with thorough explanations / performance costs for each of them. There are high end AAA games that don't even do this for its customers.

This port was made possible by a loving hand of a PC gamer, for PC gamers. I don't think Durante has that long tag for nothing. :p

Massicot

How are you guys playing in 4k? You all have 4k monitors? It's not picking up my dsr resolutions. Do I have to make an old school custom resolution?

(Or just upgrade the monitor)

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
I have an issue with multitasking to report. Using Alt + F4 to close a different window closes the game as well. Strangely, the game doesn't seem to be reading any other inputs when the window is out of focus.

Kvik

I can't play with Japanese voices, too familiar with the burger dub after 2 games.

Agreed. I actually prefer English dub for this game. Especially with all the English VAs already did a top job for SenI/II on PS3.

Also it is somewhat amusing seeing weebs crying about the lack of JP dub in Steam Community forums.

Durante

How are you guys playing in 4k? You all have 4k monitors? It's not picking up my dsr resolutions. Do I have to make an old school custom resolution?

(Or just upgrade the monitor)
DSR should work out of the box, I've tested that.

I have an issue with multitasking to report. Using Alt + F4 to close a different window closes the game as well. Strangely, the game doesn't seem to be reading any other inputs when the window is out of focus.
Thank you, will be fixed.

Top Bottom