• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

YuShtink

Nice, my tracker page finally updated. Shipment is in state now and still on track for tomorrow. Woohoo! Just bought Superhot VR in anticipation. Very close to pulling the trigger on Arizona Sunshine too, but I think I'll wait and spend some time with the free stuff and Superhot first.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
My delivery date has been delayed till Friday. Expected since it took this weird ass detour.

Dammit same with mine, it was saying end of day Thursday and now it's changed to Friday :/

Mine showed up. They're glorious.
I've spent all evening in VR, my head is a bit mushy.

Honestly, the sensations in Quill made me feel giddy, it's really something.
The Climb is cool with touch (I go much faster), but jumping is weird and what feels like longer chalking is odd too, probably a balance thing.

Google Earth VR's controls don't map wonderfully to the Vive's, I hope they do actual Touch support.

Wish I had a bigger play space..

I'm all for using Revive where necessary, but I wouldn't/won't buy SuperHOT on the Oculus store if there's an official version on its way.

BizzyBum

I plugged my two sensors into my USB 3.0 ports and during setup both come up as poor tracking quality Error -8602. I tried removing some other USBs and switch around where things are plugged but no go.

Of course I get this error, nothing ever works right for me.

Delt31

I went home and tried out the touch demos on my vive and I continue to be impressed with the quality of exclusive oculus games. I don't know what it is but the polish on them beats the standard steam store options. It's like the engine is cleaner and better tuned. It's like the HDR of vr. Hard to explain.

I absolutely hate the vive control in these touch games though. Very high use of grip button and it just doesn't feel right. Vibration was more forceful though than other games especially bullet train which has a boss at the end that made me feel like I was in robocop.

Recoil was great but I almost puked. The side to side is too much. Any tips to make it slower?

Overall I was impressed with the software and hats off to revive for giving me the opp to play but vive hardware with touch software just didn't cut it. Well give my feedback when the rift and touch arrive next week.

I plugged my two sensors into my USB 3.0 ports and during setup both come up as poor tracking quality Error -8602. I tried removing some other USBs and switch around where things are plugged but no go.

Of course I get this error, nothing ever works right for me.

Does the Rift work just fine with just one?

Hawk269

I just walked into my local Best Buy and they have 4 of the Touch Controllers in stock. I really wanted to get them, but still have not jumped into the Rift unit it self. It made it really tempting being they had both the controllers and headset in-stock. My wife was with me and she asked if that was a Xmas Gift idea...so hopefully Santa will get it for me!!! lol

Glad I listened to people in this thread. SuperHOT is SuperDOPE. Also Accounting was everything I hoped it would be (I think they just added Oculus Touch support on Steam.)

SF Bay Area actually. My order's been sitting in a processing facility like 20 miles away from my house since Sunday.
Mine's in San Pablo too :( Still no shipping date for mine, so who knows when I'm gonna get it?

In the meantime, I mounted my existing camera sensor over my front door (I intend to try and make my entire livingroom work in VR!), and I'm very happy with the results.

sa8ixxI.jpg

Dead and Buried is so much fun. It was on the bottom of my list because I wasn't sure how much I'd like a MP game in VR, but oh boy it is great fun, especially because of how emotive you can be through the touch controls.

Also be careful as your mic is open. Here I was lamenting to my little brother about how I just owned someone in the 1v1 mode, not knowing the other participants were able to hear me. Not until someone started talking about my in-game dance moves did I realize it was all open mic.

But since then I started having a blast talking with random strangers. Horde mode is the best for this because it's all cooperative (your team vs waves of enemies).

Also, what a workout, because you actually have to crouch and peek around corners you actually work up a sweat versus playing other games. It's great!

Ordered my Oculus Touch on Best Buy yesterday, shipped today, hopefully here tomorrow. What concerns me is that BB is using OnTrac for shipping and they are pretty sketchy in my town. Usually packages delivered by them are either super late or go missing.

Enordash

How bad of an idea would it be to have my sensors on the ground looking up? I am using a standing desk which is unfortunately blocking my hands when they are low to the ground. This gets pretty frustrating in a lot of games.

How bad of an idea would it be to have my sensors on the ground looking up? I am using a standing desk which is unfortunately blocking my hands when they are low to the ground. This gets pretty frustrating in a lot of games.

With touch that's a bad idea, unless you buy an extra sensor.

I mounted my sensor up high aiming down, but didn't use a standing desk.

It's also a good idea to get a rug or mat about the size of your play area to use in place of on screen indicators of your boundaries.

I'm pretty sure my USB 3.0 ports aren't working properly. I'm getting jumping and stuttering in the Touch controls, and now sometimes the headset will stutter too. Weird since I didn't have any of these problems a week ago.

I ordered this so hopefully after installation, things should work better.

Enordash

I'm pretty sure my USB 3.0 ports aren't working properly. I'm getting jumping and stuttering in the Touch controls, and now sometimes the headset will stutter too. Weird since I didn't have any of these problems a week ago.

Hopefully you made a good choice because I just made it too ;)

Also grabbed a USB 3.0 extension cable to try and work out the sensor placement issues I'm having.

Hopefully you made a good choice because I just made it too ;)

Also grabbed a USB 3.0 extension cable to try and work out the sensor placement issues I'm having.

This is the one that Oculus supports and recommends, so I'm hopeful.

Adult VR title VR Kanojo has just revealed a trailer that showcase Oculus Touch use (no nudity or anything that its still nsfw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDYgfbCADAw

KO9r2J.gif

Also a model kit VR title that will be compatible with Oculus Touch..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLY6SHit9W4

Oh dear God...

Edit: Holy shit at the ending of that video.

WGMBY

I went to pick up my Touch at the UPS store yesterday, and was told that they loaded it onto the truck for delivery by accident, but wouldn't actually deliver it, since the package was marked to be picked up at the store. They just drove it around the city for a full day. Today I get to go back for the 3rd time in as many days to see if they finally have my package. Best part is the location doesn't have a public phone number, so I can't even call ahead to see if it is there already. Shit sucks.

Struct09

I'm sure it's been said many times but make sure to check out "Accounting" on Steam. It's free, works with Oculus Touch, and is one of the best experiences I've had in VR yet.

BizzyBum

My tracking is messed up too so I might need this. Let me know if it fixes the issue.

Got my Touch controllers here in Norway today, which was pretty quick. Fired up Superhot, which is fucking legit. I'm all sweaty now.

How long did it take folks to play through Superhot VR? I played for like an hour last night and felt like I was burning through it super quick.

YuShtink

Touch controllers are sitting in my car while I'm sitting here bored at work. Please, time, move a little faster k thanks.

jon_dojah

Banned
Received Cable Matters 10ft USB3.0 and HDMI extension cables last night and they work great. Have more than enough slack to walk anywhere in my playspace (10' x 7').

Free game on Steam called Lazerbait, built for (and in program visualized with) Vive controllers, but works perfectly fine with touch. Pretty simple strategy game: the more planets you have the more ships are produced, move ships from planet to planet to take them over, set up paths so ships automatically group up, try to take over the map. The gameplay could easily work totally flat and with a mouse, but it's still pretty fun to be in the middle of this map, moving around with the grip and selecting planets with pointing+trigger. One thing that's a bit annoying is the distance you can point changes with the scale, so you're forced to pull yourself around the map; scale things down as much as possible and you practically have to grab the planets right in front of you.

Well, we had a winter storm warning so I'm working from home. I was lucky and a person from my office was there to sign for the package ... but they're at work.

I also ordered a 3rd sensor but haven't seen any movement on that yet. Been a long wait.

chris121580

This is just amazing! One of the most surreal experiences I've ever had in gaming. Also, why aren't more people online playing Ripcoil? That game is basically living Windjammers! It's awesome!

Linkup

This is just amazing! One of the most surreal experiences I've ever had in gaming. Also, why aren't more people online playing Ripcoil? That game is basically living Windjammers! It's awesome!

I played some Ripcoil today. I think lag messed up my experience because I kept surprisingly missing the disc when I was sure I had caught it. I'll try it again tomorrow night.

I also played some Dead & Buried and really enjoyed the horde mode. Networking features are severely lacking, but it seems like the devs are aware that they have something good on their hands and are already improving things. Rocket League has pretty much reset my bar as to what networking features a multiplayer game should have and right now DnB is lacking. Super fun though.

I couldn't work out how to punch the disc in Ripcoil, nothing I tried worked.

Has anyone tried Doom 3 yet? It's pretty amazing, although artificial motion plus standing is pretty weird, I don't really recommend trying that for too long, especially if you use the right stick to turn.
But in seated mode, amazing. And that's just with a mod to an old game - I really want to try an FPS designed for seated VR with motion controls.

Foggy

Just got mine and it's amazing. Great demo, Superhot is SUPER! HOT!, Bullet Train is a fun demo. Can't wait to try out more this weekend.

Top Bottom