• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Chase Amazon Prime Rewards Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tendo

Is the link in Sangreal's post how we activate? Got mine today that just said to log in to my chase account to activate.

Zoe

Just said to log in to my chase.com/amazon account and activate. It was really weird and had like no documentation. I'll just call chase Monday and square it away.
Unless they changed it, you should be able to go into the payment options section of your Amazon account and activate it from there.

I got my card, wondered how to activate it, because there wasn't really any clear instructions, (the email I got mentioned calling a number to activate or something, but the letter with the card just said some vague thing about logging on to the account).

Anyway, I didn't do either. I was able to use it without any activation. It's the same credit card number as my original amazon chase card.

Salaadin

I got my card, wondered how to activate it, because there wasn't really any clear instructions, (the email I got mentioned calling a number to activate or something, but the letter with the card just said some vague thing about logging on to the account).

Anyway, I didn't do either. I was able to use it without any activation. It's the same credit card number as my original amazon chase card.
The 3 digit code and expiration date should be different.

Mine said to go to chase.com/verifycard
From there, I logged in to chase using my existing credentials. That took care of it

The 3 digit code and expiration date should be different.

Mine said to go to chase.com/verifycard
From there, I logged in to chase using my existing credentials. That took care of it

Yes they are different, but I was able to use my card without verifying anything.

vypek

Seems like the rollout is just slow. I only got my card a few weeks ago which was several weeks after they emailed me and sent me a letter about giving me a new card

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
So just wondering anybody use Amazon's store card? They always have that promo for 40 dollars, was thinking about snagging it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I used to, but now that the Chase card gives the same 5% cash back I've stopped using the Store card.

I'm more interested in of there are any drawbacks to getting approved for it and snagging the gift card. I already have the prime rewards card as well.

coopolon

I'm more interested in of there are any drawbacks to getting approved for it and snagging the gift card. I already have the prime rewards card as well.

Is $40 really worth opening a new line of credit? Since the chase is a better cashback you'd only ever use the store card the one time right?

This is my first credit card, I mainly got it for the fraud protection and rewards from Amazon (and I am declined on everything else due to no credit history.)

What happens if I go over my credit limit? I searched online, and I'll call if necessary to ask as this isn't urgent. This is hypothetical, I pay my balance immediately to avoid interest, so it's basically like a debit card for me.

This is my first credit card, I mainly got it for the fraud protection and rewards from Amazon (and I am declined on everything else due to no credit history.)

What happens if I go over my credit limit? I searched online, and I'll call if necessary to ask as this isn't urgent. This is hypothetical, I pay my balance immediately to avoid interest, so it's basically like a debit card for me.
That's a good attitude to have. Use your credit cards for everything to build your credit, but never spend money you don't actually have. If you can't pay off your statement balance, it's time to stop.

New purchases will be denied if you hit your credit limit. It shouldn't happen, and if you see the need for more credit coming you can call in and ask for the credit limit to be raised.

akileese

Unless they changed it, you should be able to go into the payment options section of your Amazon account and activate it from there.

I know I'm super late on this but he's right. I got mine like two weeks ago and unlike every CC/Debt card I've ever received, this one had no numbers and ambiguous activation instructions. It was super unclear. I'll probably have to get another one reissued since I've waited so long.

Ron Mexico

So long as the merchant you're using actually performs an authorization, the card will decline if you're over the limit. I'd still be mindful of what the limit is though as places like some convenience stores, Wal Mart, etc will not authorize the card if it's under their "house limit". It'll automatically just go through and in that case, the card issuer may charge you an over the limit fee. House limits will vary, but anecdotally speaking, I've never seen one over $50 (you can tell by how quickly the transaction finished. If there's literally zero delay, chances are they didn't actually authorize the card).

Beyond that, totally agree with StarCreator. You have a good mindset for this and none of this should be a concern.

Zoe

I know I'm super late on this but he's right. I got mine like two weeks ago and unlike every CC/Debt card I've ever received, this one had no numbers and ambiguous activation instructions. It was super unclear. I'll probably have to get another one reissued since I've waited so long.

If the number, expiration date, and CVV are the exact same as before, you probably don't have to activate it.

You might need to activate the Amazon benefits though which is on Amazon's site.

Ron Mexico

If the number, expiration date, and CVV are the exact same as before, you probably don't have to activate it.

You might need to activate the Amazon benefits though which is on Amazon's site.

So I got the new cards in the mail while I was away on vacation-- actually had to call Chase's customer service as my card had hit a fraud alert (and the cashier ran it like 7 times for funsies but I digress). When I returned home and tried to activate the new card, it was showing already done. I had chalked it up to the CS call, but the CVV and expiration are the same. Maybe it's shipped already activated? Odd choice if so.

akileese

I'll give it a thorough check through when I get home and probably call chase customer service. The front of the card had my name, the amazon logo, and I believe there was a CVV on the back but I didn't even see a card number or expiration. It was super weird.

Zoe

I'll give it a thorough check through when I get home and probably call chase customer service. The front of the card had my name, the amazon logo, and I believe there was a CVV on the back but I didn't even see a card number or expiration. It was super weird.

It's probably printed on the back under the signature line. That's how my Sapphire Reserve is.

Izayoi

Banned
Wow, fucking awesome card. Way better than the Amazon Store Card. I have no need of financing so this thing is perfect.

I've got a different card with 3% back on groceries and gas, so I'm basically set for all shopping needs.

Thank you, OP.

Zoe

Wow, fucking awesome card. Way better than the Amazon Store Card. I have no need of financing so this thing is perfect.

I've got a different card with 3% back on groceries and gas, so I'm basically set for all shopping needs.

Thank you, OP.

Freedom is 5% back on groceries right now, BTW.

Degen

Best card I've ever had, and I have three. I'd cancel one of my others if I wasn't concerned about what it would do to my score.

Ashhong

So I was getting 3% with my Amazon Visa because I am on a family prime membership.

Opened a new account and started an Amazon Prime trial membership and used this card to make purchases. I noticed that the 5% carried over onto my family prime account as well. I wonder if all I need to do is have my Amazon Visa linked to a main prime account to get that 5%. Going to add it to a friend's and see what happens

Jzero

I never get approved for these even with a 794 FICO. I guess I need to build credit on a non-Discover card.

Edit: Nevermind, got approved this time.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
So I was getting 3% with my Amazon Visa because I am on a family prime membership.

Opened a new account and started an Amazon Prime trial membership and used this card to make purchases. I noticed that the 5% carried over onto my family prime account as well. I wonder if all I need to do is have my Amazon Visa linked to a main prime account to get that 5%. Going to add it to a friend's and see what happens
Sounds like they know that the card is a Prime card, and since you're on a primary account (on your temporary one) that goes to 5%. However, it's interesting that it carries over to your family account.

I wonder how I can tie it to the main account. 🤔

Sounds like they know that the card is a Prime card, and since you're on a primary account (on your temporary one) that goes to 5%. However, it's interesting that it carries over to your family account.

I wonder how I can tie it to the main account. 🤔
The 5% back is a cardholder benefit, not an Amazon account benefit. No matter what Amazon account you're using, if you pay with your card you get the 5%. It doesn't mean other cards on that account earn you any rewards.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The 5% back is a cardholder benefit, not an Amazon account benefit. No matter what Amazon account you're using, if you pay with your card you get the 5%. It doesn't mean other cards on that account earn you any rewards.

You have to have Prime for the 5%.
Wasn't there some issue that if you're just sharing Prime you get the standard 3%?

That's why he was surprised he was getting 5% even on his non-Primary account.

Zoe

You have to have Prime for the 5%.
Wasn't there some issue that if you're just sharing Prime you get the standard 3%?

That's why he was surprised he was getting 5% even on his non-Primary account.

No, anybody on Prime gets 5%. I'm even on a grandfathered share account and still get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom