• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

Why do you people actually want concave stick? I can't really feel the difference. Thumbs doesn't slide off the convex stick

Different people have different ways to hold the Thumbsticks. Same goes for the D-pad.

Some people use the tip of the thumb to use the Sticks and D-pad. For those players its easier to have a concave shape. For what I can see.

magawolaz

I want it to be a little bigger than the Dualshock3, with better L2/R2. And Vita d-pad. Keep the symmetric sticks (I wouldn't mind them to be concave).

Am I the only one thinking the rumored "touchpad" is actually just a flat surface with the PS-Start-Select (and Share?) buttons made touch buttons? Like Reset/Eject on fat PS3s.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I find that my thumbs slip off convex sticks more easily than concave ones. It's a minor issue that doesn't come up much, but it's definitely a thing.

Also: I still have no idea what the rumored touch pad will do. Seems like an incredibly niche feature that will just drive up controller costs. I'm open to the idea, just not convinced -- at all.

Orayn

I want it to be a little bigger than the Dualshock3, with better L2/R2. And Vita d-pad. Keep the symmetric sticks (I wouldn't mind them to be concave).

Am I the only one thinking the rumored "touchpad" is actually just a flat surface with the PS-Start-Select (and Share?) buttons made touch buttons? Like Reset/Eject on fat PS3s.

Making them into that style of button without adding any functionality would just be a downgrade.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
ps4-mockup-2.png

Took another stab trying to simplify things a bet and taking some other ideas from others (liked roboplato's select/start location!)

You mock up looks nice but I haven't made any myself. I don't want to take credit for someone else's work.

jett

D-Member
I hope they get rid of all the circular shapes on the controller, as per all the mockups they just look ugly with the touchpad in the middle.

That's pretty good kairu. Also this might not have been your intention but The PS insignia on the pad would explain why the 'Share' button would no longer be called the 'PS button'.

Sorry to ruin it but I added the possible camera tracking strip/user ID light.

You mock up looks nice but I haven't made any myself. I don't want to take credit for someone else's work.

kairu meant Mista Koo who you quoted.

CREMSteve

ps4-mockup-2.png

Took another stab trying to simplify things a bet and taking some other ideas from others (liked roboplato's select/start location!)

Best one yet. Well done.

Could you do one with the 360 stick layout, just for shits and giggles so I could see how it looks?

VanWinkle

ps4-mockup-2.png

This is the most realistic/"Dualshock" looking one of them all. VERY well done. Although I like both concave and convex sticks, however, I don't I believe that the sticks will be concave. That is the only part that looks like something that won't happen. There's not enough uproar about the sticks being convex for them to have changed it. The triggers - definitely, but not the sticks.

Me personally though, I don't care either way.

Seance

Banned
I really don't understand people that like concave analog sticks. They really are awful. I've made a couple of pictures to illustrate my complaints with them and how they compare to concave sticks:

Amazing. I have now been converted. I never realized until now how painful the sticks on the 360 pad were to use. Thanks.

Man

Outside of size I believe the controller will be closer to the Wii-U gamepad. With the tracking surface being relatively big and on the bottom for easy access. The analogs will have to be ontop in that case methinks.

CREMSteve

Outside of size I believe the controller will be closer to the Wii-U gamepad. With the tracking surface being relatively big and on the bottom for easy access. The analogs will have to be ontop in that case methinks.

Then I'll be extremely happy that PS4 supports my current DS3, because I want no part in that rectangular monstrosity.

kairu

Best one yet. Well done.

Could you do one with the 360 stick layout, just for shits and giggles so I could see how it looks?

The D-pad takes more room than the analog stick, so flipping the location would be much harder than just shifting stuff around. I'm also a symmetrical thumbstick fanboy, so I dont want to give you the SATISFACTION ;D

CREMSteve

The D-pad takes more room than the analog stick, so flipping the location would be much harder than just shifting stuff around. I'm also a symmetrical thumbstick fanboy, so I dont want to give you the SATISFACTION ;D

lol

:(

Lb7AikY.jpg

Seriously though, really good job.

You should also do a shot from the rear, showing off the improved triggers.

Something like this

RkLjB8r.jpg

jondabomb

Actually really like the mock-up a couple posts up. The only real gripe I've had with the current dualshock is the horrible r2 and l2 buttons, hopefully they will change them to be more like the xbox controller or at least do something to change them

Concept WARS! :D

made minor improvements to my formula based on other ideas(industrial espionage!):
ds4_2.jpg

Start & Select are still touch buttons on the surface.

And i still believe they will NOT change the silhouette. It is already so recognizable.

it would be really cool, if the touchpad would allow gestures like for macbooks or smartphones.
swype with two closed fingers (so it can't happen accedentally) from the top to the bottom for an ingame xmb or other stuff.

Honey Bunny

I really don't understand people that like concave analog sticks. They really are awful. I've made a couple of pictures to illustrate my complaints with them and how they compare to concave sticks:

You're not alone. I contemplated making this exact image to illustrate why I dislike concave sticks.

I like that recent mockup, but the sticks need to be in the proper, superior 360 position, and for the dpad they need to rip the dpads out of all the millions of unsold Vitas and stick them in their new controller. Best. Dpad. Ever. Made. Also hopefully the fool that designed the triggers on the DS2 is not allowed anywhere near the new controller.

Gestures or swipes for OS-level functionality without having to bring up a menu. Imagine getting a message pop-up and going straight to a reply by swiping your pad.

But can you not do that with the PS button? Get a message pop up, PS button instantly goes to the message. Simple.

Pulling the stick to the side with sweat and heat makes it slip right off -- "the sweaty mushroom." If they were to keep it convex, I'd like some extra grip ridging. Maybe make the curve a slight bit flatter. For your concave image, you would grip slightly higher towards the tip of your thumb. That's why the 360 controller has those small rubber things.

Do you have a DS2? I swear the sticks were perfect. DS3 and SIXAXIS always felt looser and more slippier, but DS2 had grip and resistance while essentially looking the same.

Did a gaffer make this mockup?

kGef0aP.jpg

Yes, please tweet him scroll L1 and R1 buttons! I wonder what he'd think of that.

DarҖaoZ;47222497 said:
Hey Kairu I hope you don't mind if I modify your design a bit.

Here is my idea of how the DS4 would look with 6 face buttons:

I also added that chromed ring around the Stick, it just looks so swag! lol

The + and - buttons were used by Sony in the controller prototypes, so I think it would be nice to have them back.

I like it, though would probably put those buttons adjacent to the L1/R1 somehow, like I saw on the previous page with the 360 controller

What is it that everyone is hoping they implement with the touchpad? Everything I can think of using it for the sticks would work the same. I probably just lack imagination.

jett

D-Member
What is it that everyone is hoping they implement with the touchpad? Everything I can think of using it for the sticks would work the same. I probably just lack imagination.

It's not a matter of hoping, there are too many reports on that to disregard it.

VanWinkle

I can't imagine anything for games (although it could certainly be possible). Maybe it just be for OS navigation/gestures.

Robot Pants

made minor improvements to my formula based on other ideas(industrial espionage!):
ds4_2.jpg

And i still believe they will NOT change the silhouette. It is already so recognizable.

This is what it will be. I agree they aren't gonna change the outline/silhouette of the controller

Man

Pinch and zoom. Rotation. Pointer controls for RTS. All kinds of gestures. Writing/drawing with inductive pen.

AkIRA_22

I'm wondering, most people here are probably aware that the PS3 Chat Pad is actually touch sensitive and can act as a track pad? I mean, it's useless outside of the Browser, but it's there.

images

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's supposed to act like a clickable button. If that's true it will definitely have a boundary.
Edit: I like the select/start though.
I'm sure they said the controller would be clickable not the touchpad, I could be wrong but thats how I read it

I'm sure they said the controller would be clickable not the touchpad, I could be wrong but thats how I read it

From OP:
Instead, the Orbis' controller features a capacitive touch pad, like you find on the back of a Vita (presumably it's also on the back of the PS4's controller), that can recognise two-point multi-touch. The entire pad can also be "clicked" for an additional input button."

I'm assuming it means 'touch pad', rather than 'game pad'.

I'm wondering, most people here are probably aware that the PS3 Chat Pad is actually touch sensitive and can act as a track pad? I mean, it's useless outside of the Browser, but it's there.

I bought one to use with DC Universe. Worst controller addon I've ever had the displeasure of using. But you're right that it did have a touchpad-y aspect to it.

I-hate-u

I don't know the point of the tackpad. To scroll? Its too tiny to be used in gameplay I think. And why would Sony increase the cost of their controllers to make the home/start button more fancy?

Duffyside

Banned
ps4-mockup-2.png

This is good work.
Still want colored buttons, square to be yellow, and longer grips. Oh, and another small button on the shoulders

Why do you use the wrong part of you thumb to play games? Its much more precise if you use the sticks correctly. You have to move your whole thumb if you want to move backwards., if you held it right you would be better at games!

ds4_2.jpg

Really nice. I hope it's like this.

Think you could make the PS button a red LED and colour the PS symbols?

The controller always should have been a little bigger. The grips, for starters, are way too short. The Wii(U) Pro pad and the 360 pad conform to the hand, whereas the Sony pads have always induced cramping.

The Vita d-pad makes me hopeful that they learned their other lesson, though.

salromano

ds4_2.jpg

Definitely my favorite of the concepts, and the most likely, I think, given the rumors.

I just hope that this time around, it includes some sort of headphone/keyboard jack at the BOTTOM of the controller.

onQ123

I don't know the point of the tackpad. To scroll? Its too tiny to be used in gameplay I think. And why would Sony increase the cost of their controllers to make the home/start button more fancy?

People play games on laptops everyday with touchpads.

Top Bottom