• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Shepard to be on Mass Effect 3 CE cover, get her own trailer

mollipen

I looked around and couldn't see this mentioned, so kill me if it was.

Today on Twitter, David Silverman (marketing director at BioWare) said these things:

"@SilentKittyK the CE of #ME3 has both #FemShep and male Shepard on the box."

"@ChrisCrowdly there will be a #FemShep trailer. We actually had a meeting on her yesterday. We are working on the look now."

After that, David started asking people which look their "official" female Shepard should have.

I seem to recall somebody on here telling me it was ridiculous to think that BioWare would, should, or could ever put together a FemShep version of a promo trailer. Hmm.

Anyhow, awesome! I'll be honest - if it's like a flip-cover or something where I can decide which specific Shepard is on the CE cover, that would actually be something that would get me to go for a CE (when I usually don't). Yes, I'm silly like that.

I wish these efforts to acknowledge the FemShep side of the game weren't coming so late into its life, but in the same way as the allowing more romantic choices for the player, better late than never.

God, I choose so poorly four years ago. Can't renege on my male Shepherd save now, though.

Glad to see the better option getting her due.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
OH MY GOD, this is HUGE!

Finally my FemShep gets what she deserves!

D3adend

Neo Member
It's a benifit from Dragon Age 2. It had an official Fem-Hawke look and was popular.
So now there is room for a high quality Femshep head. As I'd use Femshep, but every head that can be made, make or female looks like shit next to default face. In ME1 it wasn't that bad because the other faces were of similar quality. In ME2 it's painful to look at.

So.. this gets a HELLYEA.

Pretty sure this is the default FemShep

HOE0F.jpg

LQX

Female Shepard is the only way to play Mass Effect. Tried going back and playing as a male and just could not. Had both as black and white Shepard and they both fit the voice.

What is this? Diversity Awareness Day: The Game?

Make sure you have your gay romances!! It's not fair if you don't!

Make sure you get the female character on the cover!! It's not fair if you don't!!

Crucify me if you must, I just think it's like they're trying to show everyone how politically correct they are way too much.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Speedymanic said:
waaaaaaaat! How the hell did you manage to make her so beautiful? And I thought I had the best FemShep out there :(

webrunner

I always thought they shouldn't focus on either Shepard, given that the entire game is about being your own Shepard. Failing that they should use both to emphasize the choice.

They say that most people play the default male shepard, but how much of that is because it's the default male shepard is the default shepard and the one on the box?

If you had to pick, or femshep was the default, would they have more people playing it?

badcrumble said:
I'll be curious to see what the 'official' FemShep looks like.

I'm surprised it's not just going to be the default red hair version.

I just wish default Female Shepard was an unique character model (like default Male Shep) and not something generated from the character creation tool.

Raide

Would it not be better to just do a double-sided cover, one with Male Shep and the other with female Shep?

Edag Plata said:

Make sure you get the female character on the cover!! It's not fair if you don't!!

Crucify me if you must, I just think it's like they're trying to show everyone how politically correct they are way too much.
Bioware has always been about offering the greatest number of options they can. I don't see what part of this is inconsistent with that approach.

mollipen

You know, in this growing era of character creation, I could totally see a specialty market cropping up for allowing you to get specialty covers printed with your personalized character on them.

The ability to send away for redo Mass Effect 1 + 2 covers with my Shepard on them instead of default guy? I would totally go for that.

Edag Plata said:

Don't worry, there are hundreds of videogames that only have straight white male protagonists left over for you.

Yoshichan

LiK said:
Thats what my FemShep looks like too
Can you somehow change face during the game or something? I really want to change it now ._.

dwebo

Was default femshep modeled after someone like default maleshep, or was she just a product of the character generator? I remember the differences between her and other presets not being as severe as with the male faces.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
shidoshi said:
You know, in this growing era of character creation, I could totally see a specialty market cropping up for allowing you to get specialty covers printed with your personalized character on them.

The ability to send away for redo Mass Effect 1 + 2 covers with my Shepard on them instead of default guy? I would totally go for that.
Maybe when the customized characters on Mass Effect stop looking completely out of place with their permanently soaked haircuts. Bioware's too lazy to fix how their custom characters look and just try to force default on you
Speedymanic said:
Eyeliner on the battlefield. No wonder ManShep is usually on the cover

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Edag Plata said:

Political correctness is a myth designed by bigots to excuse their bigotry. GTFO.

Oh yeah, and FemShep FTW.

shidoshi said:

Agreed. Don't people already spend hundreds of dollars for model casts of their WoW characters?

Raide said:
Would it not be better to just do a double-sided cover, one with Male Shep and the other with female Shep?

I think that's what they're intending to do, at least from what it sounds like from their press release over the CE version.

Anyways, despite playing as broShep, it's great to finally see femShep as I know many people prefer to play as her. Can't wait to see her trailer though - will be awesome.

LiK

Yoshichan said:
Can you somehow change face during the game or something? I really want to change it now ._.
Dont think so but ME3 will allow you to tweak their look again.

Yoshichan

LiK said:
Dont think so but ME3 will allow you to tweak their look again.
Fuck yes! Thanks man!

LCfiner

pretty cool, but kinda late.

I much prefer playing the game as femshep. Hale makes the dialog a lot more interesting than whoever is voicing Maleshep.

badcrumble said:
Don't worry, there are hundreds of videogames that only have straight white male protagonists left over for you.

Oh good, because you know me, I can only play as straight white guys. I'm probably from the south too, right???

omg.kittens said:
Political correctness is a myth designed by bigots to excuse their bigotry. GTFO.

Oh yeah, and FemShep FTW.

Oh, okay.

Rad-

If you had to pick, or femshep was the default, would they have more people playing it?

More maybe but not much more. Most people play maleShep because most gamers are male. It's easier to "get into the role".

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, when you try to make your own face it often looks much more awkward than it does in character creation (so many restarts), but there are codes you can find online that can make FemShep look human. My Shep is so fine.

Edag Plata said:

I'll get the nails.

Seriously, it's pretty rare for games to have as many options for what you want your character to be like. Stuff like this should be more common, not mocked as OH YOU'RE JUST BEING PEE CEEE.

Great news. I always thought femshep had the much better actor and was more fun to play as, as it's still pretty rare to get to play as your own gender in these type of games.

snap0212

shidoshi said:

They could let you upload your save file, extract your character data, create an image and let you download a cover with your Shepard on it. Shouldn't be that big of a deal for them.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Finally some positive news about the game.

also this (from 2011 high-res screens thread, courtesy of DigitalSoul)

2011-06-12_00006bscg.jpg

2011-06-08_000038orf.jpg

Awesome news. I always picked lady Shep for my Renegade playthroughs. Hale's "I don't give a shit" drawl works so much better for Renegade lines.

Edag Plata said:
Oh good, because you know me, I can only play as straight white guys. I'm probably from the south too, right???
Well, you apparently freak out at even the slightest ebbing of straight white male privilege, so I know that much at least.

Top Bottom