• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Octopath Traveler on Switch 2018, demo on eShop [Up: Surveys sent out]

Game is too PC to say "Go fuck yourself", but grimdark enough to deal with subjects of
years of abusive pimping and rape, including child abuse
. Kinda weird, hah.

I was not expecting Primrose's story to be so disturbing. :
Yes, it's a bit dark for me. But I'd imagine most of the game won't follow that trend.

Exentryk

What're the odds that some of Bravely's mechanics get implemented that help the player decide their engagement on random battles, like encounter rate, fast forward, and autobattle?

I'll be definitely writing this in my feedback if it isn't already implemented.

LOUD915

I got to the DEMO COMPLETE screen for the knight, but I can keep playing?

I'm assuming it is just so that I can duel all the villagers?

I thought it was okay. I'm a little worried about the battle system being too simple -- I also guess I didn't understand the push system? I got one every turn and it didn't seem like I could use more than one at once, or maybe I was wrong?

You might try journeying further into the wilderness.

You should see what you can see!

I thought it was okay. I'm a little worried about the battle system being too simple -- I also guess I didn't understand the push system? I got one every turn and it didn't seem like I could use more than one at once, or maybe I was wrong?

You accrue one BP per turn, and can spend up to 3 (for an x4 attack or ability) at once.

I played about an hour, seems really cool but the enemies feel like they just have too much HP. Sure, I can break-lock all the enemies and kill them with relative ease, I just shouldn't have to be pressing buttons for two or three minutes a fight just to beat two low level grunts.

LotusHD

Banned
Game is too PC to say "Go fuck yourself", but grimdark enough to deal with subjects of
years of abusive pimping and rape, including child abuse
. Kinda weird, hah.

I was not expecting Primrose's story to be so disturbing. :

Yea it was kind of weird that it stopped right there, but amusing nonetheless, we got the message in the end after all.

duckroll

I played about an hour, seems really cool but the enemies feel like they just have too much HP. Sure, I can break-lock all the enemies and kill them with relative ease, I just shouldn't have to be pressing buttons for two or three minutes a fight just to beat two low level grunts.

That was my problem early on too. Then I talked to Aeana about it and learned that you can burst more than once a turn. Managing when to burst made battles super fast. Remember that in the same turn they are broken they take a lot of extra damage for subsequent attacks and bursting skills multiple times does tons of damage too.

I do wonder if you have to play the game eight separate times (using most of the same areas) to get each story, especially since it seems like you'll get every ability in each runthrough eventually.

That was my problem early on too. Then I talked to Aeana about it and learned that you can burst more than once a turn. Managing when to burst made battles super fast. Remember that in the same turn they are broken they take a lot of extra damage for subsequent attacks and bursting skills multiple times does tons of damage too.

This makes the game much better!

I didn't quite get all the nuances of breaking when playing Primrose's chapter, but I then played through both paths and then went back and beat the captain of the guard in the village with Olberic. I love it! It's a streamlined version of the Bravely Default battle system applied to a game that looks like Final Fantasy but is structured like a SaGa game. Everything is incredibly polished, and the battle system is classic, but lightning fast.

When they showed a small clip / announced early this year I didn't think much of this. "just another cashgrab pixelart game".

Holy shit how wrong I was. This just became my most anticipated game of 2018, before God of War, Days Gone and so on...

I really dislike pixel art games, I don't play them. But this. Holy shit makes me speechless, this is how it's done in 201
! Looks just amazing. Feels like a good old snes era game with a twist.

guyssorry

This game is absolutely incredible. However, despite dealing massive amounts of damage for quite some time, the (1st) boss in Primrose's story defeated me after a while. I must not have approached the combat in this game correctly. Will try again tomorrow. A very fun game. This is what I wish more modern JRPGs were like.

The demo cemented this as a day 1 purchase for me.

You can go pick up the other character and explore some of the land. There's a few quests it seems and there's a higher level area east of the Knight's area. Haven't cleared it yet because I got bored

Phamit

I really like it, the burst system is a good tactical component because you have to decide when, how many and on what you want to spend your points.

And I like the look and the dub.

DTC

Man that 5 star guy was tough, ended up using 10 healing items before beating him lol.

I heard there's some special weapon that helps you with him, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Wadiwasi

Banned
Got it downloaded, but have to crash. Only played a few minutes of Olberic. My immediate takeaways were....

1. They will need to sync the VA with some of the dialogue, which I'm sure will be polished before the official release.

2. The vibration every time you enter or leave a building....I just don't like it at all. I really would want that removed.

3. The menu is amazing, I love the map in the middle with the options on the side.

4. For my tastes, they really nailed it with the art style. I love it.

Deku89

Just played through Primrose. That was a dark backstory (and I wasn't prepared for the boss fight). I really liked the rumble when you use the boost.

The few things that I think they could improve on are faster movement, skip cutscenes, and make sure their feet hit the floor.

zroid

Banned
Took 4.5 hours but I think I've done pretty much everything in Olberic's scenario...

I assume that after you clear each respective boss the rest of the content is pretty much the same for both scenarios so that's a relief :lol

Man that 5 star guy was tough, ended up using 10 healing items before beating him lol.

I heard there's some special weapon that helps you with him, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

ok maybe i'll try facing him first. i only dueled the 5 star villager from the other town who heals herself; she was kind of a pain but the fire magic items make it doable if you have enough of them.

NimbusD

My first suggestion is to ease off the bloom just a bit that is in the center of the screen. It hurts my eyes to be honest. I'm really impressed with the other aspects though.
Yeah it's kinda a blurry mess. Wish it was sharper. Otherwise the art style is just fine.

BizzyBum

Kinda weird they give you all these potential sidequests but block out the journal so I have no idea what I took on. lol

Played through Primroses section, and I really enjoyed it so far.

The only thing I disliked was the super strong depth of field and bloom lighting on the center of the screen. No idea if it was for performance or just the art style, but it hurt my eyes a bit which is a shame since I liked the art style.

duckroll

Kinda weird they give you all these potential sidequests but block out the journal so I have no idea what I took on. lol

It's clear they wanted to give players a big chunk of the game to get as much feedback as possible by quickly ripping out the opening parts of the game for two characters. I appreciate how much damn content there is, and I'll be sure to play as much of it as possible to give accurate feedback when the survey is out.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Played through Primroses section, and I really enjoyed it so far.

The only thing I disliked was the super strong depth of field and bloom lighting on the center of the screen. No idea if it was for performance or just the art style, but it hurt my eyes a bit which is a shame since I liked the art style.

From the trailers, I get the sense that the depth of field effect is a bit too dramatic. I'd like it if this were toned down a bit in the final release.

Kicko

I was lukewarm to this game during the initial reveal, but after watching the Direct and viewing the demo, I think it has the makings of being something special. Such a charming title.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yo real talk, if your playing as primrose, allure the villager girl that has speed up, I'm absolutely destroying with her in battle

Really late on this, but I'm really fascinated by the story/character mechanic. Kinda reminds me of Seiken Densetsu 3 in how you choose how the story unfolds based on the three characters you choose. Will definitely be fun for multiple playthroughs.

Too late to try the demo tonight, will try tomorrow.

Yo real talk, if your playing as primrose, allure the villager girl that has speed up, I'm absolutely destroying with her in battle

Oh you can recruit party members with Allure? Maybe I should spend some more time in the town before doing the boss fight.

I tried alluring the save point guy so I wouldnt have to walk back every time to save but that didnt work lol.

I REALLY like Olberic's duel anybody mechanic, as silly as it may seem in the ludonarrative dissonance sense. These sorts of hidden minibosses with item/armor/weapon rewards are a great little hunt and the sight of an entire village of incapacitated spinny birds people will never not be funny. Olberic just runnin up to dudes like YO FIGHT ME DAWG I MESSED YOU UP THAT WAS AWESOMESAUCE YEAH YOU BEST THANK MY ASS FOR THE OPPORTUNITY

TrutaS

I'm in the UK and can't find the demo anywhere, looked through a few pages of this thread and no one is complaining, so am I doing something wrong?

I'm in the UK and can't find the demo anywhere, looked through a few pages of this thread and no one is complaining, so am I doing something wrong?

do an eshop search or go in the recent releases section, the latter is how I found it.

Also the OST so far is rock solid. Just wish the English VA was better (though this is coming from someone who hates all but the most select few game VA's.

TrutaS

do an eshop search or go in the recent releases section, the latter is how I found it
It's not there and doesn't appear with any search terms. Maybe it's not updated everywhere?

Edit: Found it! Buried down in the coming soon panel. Still doesn't appear with search. They really need to update the eshope experience!

BizzyBum

I played through with Olberic and while I hate the random battle mechanic the rest of the game seems great.

Graphically it's heavy on things like bloom and depth of field as many others have mentioned but some of the light and shadow effects in battle (like in caves) look awesome. The music is just superb. Combat is simple yet fun with the boost mechanic and the demo abilities which I'm sure the full game will have a shit ton more (the whole shield number to "break" an enemy reminds me of card battle games like Hearthstone). Each character having their own special skill outside of combat seems neat (dueling and allure). It's pretty hilarious to go around and just dueling an entire village or some grandma in a house. What's really cool is the allure option is needed to open up a secret side dungeon for this demo so I expect lots of replayability in the full game finding new quests and locations using these systems.

Olberic's story is generic as all hell, but it only the first hour or so of the game so can't blast it too much for now. I'm really digging how old school it feels (random chests just scattered everywhere to find). Game wasn't on my radar at all but after this demo I'm more than likely picking it up at launch.

Instro

Played through Olberics story tonight. Game is lovely, although a couple visual elements could be dialed back slightly. Otherwise everything was hitting the right notes for me. Love the origin story type setup. Presumably it works out something like DA:O where you have the intro phase for the character you choose, and then collect the rest as your party later, but I guess we'll see. Great writing, music, VA, overall atmosphere. Definitely will be a day 1 purchase.

On a side note, the demo appears to end, but I continued on anyway. Not exactly sure where the hard stop point is, if there is one.

This is pretty much all I wanted from this game. Presentation is great and definitely help craft its own look. I don't think I've seen the pixel artist before though. Gameplay and structure-wise it feels like a SaGa game, which is probably the coolest thing about it. One of the biggest flaws of those games is how impenetrable they can be to your average player, so giving this style of game the Bravely Default treatment will go a long way. I love the character specific abilities, and how those abilities can be used on the overworld too.

I wouldn't worry too much about difficulty. Bravely Default had really nice features in place that helped customise your difficulty, so they'll know how to address the issue when you bring it up in the upcoming feedback survey. The current difficulty is probably the right way to demo a battle system's potential.

I REALLY like Olberic's duel anybody mechanic, as silly as it may seem in the ludonarrative dissonance sense. These sorts of hidden minibosses with item/armor/weapon rewards are a great little hunt and the sight of an entire village of incapacitated spinny birds people will never not be funny. Olberic just runnin up to dudes like YO FIGHT ME DAWG I MESSED YOU UP THAT WAS AWESOMESAUCE YEAH YOU BEST THANK MY ASS FOR THE OPPORTUNITY
I played Westerado this year, which had a similar mechanic. It's cute to see it used in more polished and fleshed out titles.

Top Bottom