• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE Responds to Star Wars Battlefront II Beta Lootcrate Controversy

I will ask again since no one replied the first time. I have never played a Battlefront before, so can someone explain what a Star Card is? I want to know what non cosmetic shit is in the loot box to decide if I am buying this or not. Thanks.
Its an equippable item like a grenade or stat boost or modifier.

Calabi

Isnt this like a common strategy, show someone something way worse than you actually want so they accept what you really want.

gc5rtWY.gif

Just watched the Jim Sterling video about Battlefront 2, and he says that you level up in BF2 by how many cards you've acquired, which seems like the collection based leveling you find in Warframe (Mastery Rank) and Forza 7 (Car Tiers).

If that's the case, and EA/DICE is now stating that you have to earn the right to unlock the more powerful Star Card effects, than that is just more pay-to-win because shelling out cash will get you more cards and faster than playing the game.

This is based on the beta. From the sounds of this press release, the beta was not the most current build of their star card system.

I wouldn't even mind these loot boxes if they actually had enjoyable other content in there.
Star cards are BS
Bland MVP poses.... LOL
Locking map based hero skins in there(that were automatically available in BF1)

Fbh

I read this, and don't understand how it's different from the beta. I see posts saying ”Good, sounds much better than the beta."

Someone please explain the difference.

Some items like high level star cards or weapons have a level barrier.
We didn't know that before so there was fear that people could just drop another $30 day one and get considerable gameplay advantages from day one.
This doesn't entirely solve the issue (will depend on how hard it is to get these star cards and weapons without paying), but it means that even people buying crates will at least have to earn to level to use them.

And we also learned that apparently some of the best items can only be earned in game. Which, again, doesn't entirely solve the issue but at least it means that you can't get the best of everything by just spending more money on the game.

To me it still sounds like almost all of the progression is tied to loot boxes which still sounds like a shit system. But at least it's an improvement over the beta

Damned if they do, damned if they don't?

Are people glossing over the part where the best stuff is in-game unlock only and the part where if you get a really good card from a crate you still have to level up in game to use it?

Do people prefer a SWBF1 situation where hugely overpowered heroes, weapons, and abilities are locked behind a Season Pass pay wall that costs almost as much as the base game?

There's a ton of possibilities between having a season pass and having Pay2win microtransactions and 80% of the progression system locked behind random loot boxes.

gc5rtWY.gif

Just watched the Jim Sterling video about Battlefront 2, and he says that you level up in BF2 by how many cards you've acquired, which seems like the collection based leveling you find in Warframe (Mastery Rank) and Forza 7 (Car Tiers).

If that's the case, and EA/DICE is now stating that you have to earn the right to unlock the more powerful Star Card effects, than that is just more pay-to-win because shelling out cash will get you more cards and faster than playing the game.

They are talking about Account rank which is the same as the first Battlefront game. Earn XP by playing, rank up. This was in the beta as well, but only to rank 10.

If that's the case, and EA/DICE is now stating that you have to earn the right to unlock the more powerful Star Card effects by leveling up, and you level up by having more cards, than that is just more pay-to-win because shelling out cash will get you more cards and at a much faster rate than playing the game.

Not sure if it works that way. Overall player level is directly tied to XP, and class/fighter/hero level seems to be a combination of cards unlocked and XP gained with that loadout. In the beta I got assault class to level 8 after hardly unlocking anything for it in crates because simply because I played it the most. Other classes weren't nearly that high even though I was unlocking more cards for them.

The eyebrow raiser was the star card that simply increased the amount of damage you do.

Not just a perk or special trait, just a card that makes you simply better than the other player.

That's about as pay to win as it gets.

Z3M0G

Since the other thread got overshadowed by this one...

Mr Sterling chimed in (should have its own thread)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUfkGSbabSo

He makes a GREAT point of how in just a few short months we have seen 4 immediate examples of Pay-To-Win loot boxes that are progressively worse with each game:

Destiny 2 << Shadow of War <<< Forza 7 <<<< Battlefront 2

Something is starting... It feels Publishers really want this to be the next acceptable thing...

HotHamBoy

Crates include Star Cards, Outfits, Emotes, or Victory poses. So a bunch of cosmetic shit that I don't give a damn about. Sounds fine to me.

Uh, Star Cards are weapons, buffs and abilities.

The eyebrow raiser was the star card that simply increased the amount of damage you do.

Not just a perk or special trait, just a card that makes you simply better than the other player.

Yup, that's the garbage.

Enthus

Seriously, just remove the Star Cards from the loot crates. You will still make a boatload of cash off of cosmetics (especially from those people who are obsessed with Clones), just look at Overwatch.

Barakov

Gold Member
That's some mighty fine PR speak. I really enjoyed what I played of it so I'm definitely going to wait and see how this all shakes out.

Mr. Robot

Im ok with unlocking skins and alternate gun models, but how hard is it for devs to not fuck up unlocks, it always ends up with newcomers being decimated by people that got the game earlier.

You cant just buy whatever card you want

Seriously, just remove the Star Cards from the loot crates. You will still make a boatload of cash off of cosmetics (especially from those people who are obsessed with Clones), just look at Overwatch.

They want all the money.

Im ok with unlocking skins and alternate gun models, but how hard is it for devs to not fuck up unlocks, it always ends up with newcomers being decimated by people that got the game earlier.

I agree with your point, but it is very important to point out that the devs almost certainly do NOT want this garbage in their game, this is EA forcing them to do it.

ISOM

Yup. No thanks to some guy who shortcut their way to winning every 1v1 battle. As long as weapons and abilities can be increased via loot crates then I'm not buying the game

Audioboxer

Since the other thread got overshadowed by this one...

I missed this video, as well as his Mordor one from yesterday. I'll watch both.

As for your statement, that is what it is. It's always a snowball effect with publishers. Tip-toeing till one or two plunges in, then they all dive in like a group of penguins.

When only one of them does it, they can easily be surrounded. Such as Blizzard launching the Diablo 3 real money auction house back when they did. If they get strength in numbers from them all diving in, it's harder and more time consuming for gamers to try and pile on them all. Leading to apathy and acceptance.

Hence the loot box mania that has just hit us.

I missed this video, as well as his Mordor one from yesterday. I'll watch both.

As for your statement, that is what it is. It's always a snowball effect with publishers. Tip-toeing till one or two plunges in, then they all dive in like a group of penguins.

That's the way i saw Shadow of War. Seems like the grind in the game isnt bad, which leads me to believe that they're just trying to normalize lootboxes in premium single player games, then slowly over time manipulate the progression and economies of their future games so they have more incentive to buy them.

Forza 7 and Battlefront 2 are being much more bold than that, not even trying to hide what they're doing. At this rate we're going to have full blown F2P style progression systems in our premium games next gen.

Z3M0G

They want all the money.

I agree with your point, but it is very important to point out that the devs almost certainly do NOT want this garbage in their game, this is EA forcing them to do it.
Maybe a bit of DA... but we dont know how true this ever is...

Audioboxer

That's the way i saw Shadow of War. Seems like the grind in the game isnt bad, which leads me to believe that they're just trying to normalize lootboxes in premium single player games, then slowly over time manipulate the progression and economies of their future games so they have more incentive to buy them.

Forza 7 and Battlefront 2 are being much more bold than that, not even trying to hide what they're doing. At this rate we're going to have full blown F2P style progression systems in our premium games next gen.

Speaking of Jim Sterling, he covered that Ubisoft F2P in $60 games vision from 2012 at Destructoid

Free-to-play was a good idea, and some surprisingly great games were coming out of the market. Then the big publishers took notice and decided to go overboard. Not only is Ubisoft planning a slew of F2P games to flood the market, it wants to go one step further -- filling $60 retail games with microtransactions.

"There will be free-to-play on consoles," said Ubi's Alain Martinez. "But in the future, with games like Sleeping Dogs, we could see more opportunity for $60 games to learn from the free-to-play model.

"The next generation will offer more and more item-based content. This will benefit our games' profitability."

I was a big proponent of the free-to-play model for a little while, until the likes of Ubisoft got a sniff. Now I just know the market will be exploited without a sense of consequence, until the entire model loses all credibility and inevitably dies. Oh, and any publisher expecting me to pay $60 for a "free-to-play" game can f*ck off right now. It was tacky in Sleeping Dogs, and I dread to think how much worse it'll get.

https://www.destructoid.com/ubisoft-wants-free-to-play-model-in-more-60-games-235793.phtml

He wasn't wrong! 2012 Jim welcome to 2017. They've been making good progress this generation.

”Crystals" were already up on Amazon
They go all the way up to $99

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076BCV2V8/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (taken down)

$99.99 is the new "cap" for "microtransactions" in $60 games. Ubisoft has been at it for a while, and so are 2K. Overwatch caps it's highest fee at $40 right now.

Terrorblot

This is still shit city, but I think this might at least be enough to begrudgingly get me to pick up the game (Before the loot boxes I had REALLY wanted this game and sofar it seems like everything I wanted from the first, minus the loot boxes).

From my perspective it feels like Shadow of War is far worse than Battlefront 2. I just can't swallow the concept of Loot Boxes in a single player campaign, period.

Only for starfighters. Trooper and hero cards generally only offer advantages that are incremental (slightly wider blast radius for explosives) or non-combat based (faster ability cooldowns). There are a few exceptions for heroes, but they're very limited in use. Boba Fett potentially being invincible during his ~3 second rocket barrage animation or whatever.

meerak

I'm somewhat ambivalent to this topic but reading all of that and I still feel like I need a powerpoint presentation to guide me and that, really, is a problem. Shit just ain't simple enough.

From my perspective it feels like Shadow of War is far worse than Battlefront 2. I just can't swallow the concept of Loot Boxes in a single player campaign, period.

They know that, thats why they're trying to change it. This process will start off subtle and take years to transform into what they actually want, a full blown F2P economy and progression system in a premium 60 dollar game. (With season pass LOL)

I'm somewhat ambivalent to this topic but reading all of that and I still feel like I need a powerpoint presentation to guide me and that, really, is a problem. Shit just ain't simple enough.

If they use terms like "power ups" it will be too transparent, they're complicating this for a reason.

MiguelItUp

Microtransactions should affect a games review score imo and hard.

I completely and wholeheartedly disagree. It depends on how they impact the game itself. In every experience that I've had, I've never partaken in them, and I still enjoyed the experience. It's a dirty trend, sure, I would never support it outside of a free to play title. But I'd hate to see games with solid gameplay experiences be berated because of microtransactions that aren't required and can be avoided.

Personally with what they're doing with Battlefront II is enough to interest me. But I'm also a large Star Wars fan. I'm not really upset about the whole crate debacle, sure, it's silly and I'd prefer it not be present. But I enjoyed my time enough with the beta that I plan on playing it this holiday, much like I did the previous game.

All in all, I'm glad that all the microtransaction topics are getting attention. The negative press is one of the few ways we'll see this practice stop. Hopefully.

Yeah ok while its slightly better, it's still not the best.

And I shudder at the thought of the future. This shit has been getting worse and worse with each AAA game that comes out. I fear it's already too late. Publishers have broken us down. Ugh.

prag16

Banned
This doesn't address the concern that lazy whales can pay for less-than-most-powerful higher damage and lower ability cooldowns day 1, effectively creating a 'pay to win' curve that folks who do not buy premium currency have to catch up to by grinding it out.
Granted, those lazy whales are also effectively paying for our season passes. Still think this is better than milking all of us for a season pass and/or driving a wedge through the community via that season pass.

FFS, this thread. Read the article. You can only unlock and upgrade Star Cards when you get to a high enough rank, so you have to play the game to progress. Before you reach that point, Star Cards are at base level. No one is having an advantage right from the start.

EDIT: There will be a option to play in which Star Cards are at base level.

Granted, those lazy whales are also effectively paying for our season passes. Still think this is better than milking all of us for a season pass and/or driving a wedge through the community via that season pass.

Nah. I'd rather have the option to continue funding a known quantity than put up with design decisions intended to frustrate how slowly I accrue the perks of being a long-time player.

The false binary of 'lootboxes or season passes' has got to be the biggest enduring lie AAA publishers have sold the game buying public.

Only for starfighters. Trooper and hero cards generally only offer advantages that are incremental (slightly wider blast radius for explosives) or non-combat based (faster ability cooldowns). There are a few exceptions for heroes, but they're very limited in use. Boba Fett potentially being invincible during his ~3 second rocket barrage animation or whatever.

I see that the argument of "it's only cosmetic, not gameplay affecting" is now steadily being replaced with "it's only incremental gameplay advantages". Sigh, further down the hole we go.

FFS, this thread. Read the article. You can only unlock and upgrade Star Cards when you get to a high enough rank, so you have to play the game to progress. Before you reach that point, Star Cards are at base level. No one is having an advantage right from the start.

EDIT: There will be a option to play in which Star Cards are at base level.

Upgrade, yes. Unlock, no:
And lastly, you have to earn the right to be able to upgrade Star Cards and unlock most Weapons. You can only upgrade or unlock them if you have reached a high enough rank, which is determined by playing the game.
The wording for the second sentence here is vague, as it could be read that unlocking Star Cards is tied to player rank. But the first sentence clearly says "...earn the right to be able to upgrade Star Cards", not unlock - based on the first sentence all Star Cards are available for unlocking at the starting player rank, with upgrading tied to rank progression.
Two base rank players in which one of them has $99 of crate box purchases (and thus more Star Card to cuctomise their character with) still results in a gameplay advantage for the crate box purchaser. It remains pay to win.

Also, the option to play in which Star Cards are at base level isn't actually stated here. It says:
We also have heard some players are looking for a way to play where all players will have the same set of Star Cards with flattened values. Like everything else, we will be continually making necessary changes to ensure the game is fun for everyone. We will work to make sure the system is balanced both for players who want to earn everything, as well as for players who are short on time and would like to move faster in their progress towards various rewards.
Nowhere does this say that they're providing the option to flatten the value of Star Cards, just that they've heard player feedback and that they're *insert fluffy PR about making an awesome experience #4theplayers*. The final decision as to whether such an option is included at some point in the game will ultimately come down to the developer/publisher deciding that it's in their best business interest to provide it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think Battlefront 2 has the opposite problem than what people expected. The skilled players that spend a lot of time with the game will have a ton of advantages over even the players that spend all of their allowance on loot boxes. There are snowball mechanics baked into every aspect of the design. I have been playing CoD and Battlefield for thousands of hours and I have never had a harder time breaking into the top 5 of the leaderboards than with the Battlefront 2 beta.

As a balance goal, we’re working towards having the most powerful items in the game only earnable via in-game achievements.
This decision was definitely made recently due to all the backlash. If it wasn't, why didn't they do it in the beta? There was challenges in it that awarded beta weapons. But none of the powerful star cards were restricted to them.

patchday

I'm not buying the game because I just don't care to open loot boxes all that much unless its just harmless cosmetics (plus I need a crafting system). But good on them at least providing some kind of way to craft. I do like the idea of being awarded for my skill and this game does not do that. I am sure bots will run rampant in this since your performance matters not from what I saw of beta footage. First place and last place both got same rewards.

No thanks

Granted the achievements thing is a new wrinkle?

This game going to sale millions regardless and reviewers are gonna just gloss over the loot boxes even if they were the worst things imaginable. Parents will snatch the game right off the shelves because of the IP alone. Plus EA will make much more from clueless parents buying hundreds of loot boxes for their kids.

Well played EA it appears you will make a killing on this

Yukinari

Theres so many people here that will jump to give EA the benefit of the doubt that im surprised they even care to make changes.

They know how much traffic videos from youtubers concerning this topic get. One of the biggest PC gaming channels calling your game pay 2 win is exactly the kick in the ass they needed.

mas8705

I'm actually kind of shocked that they actually are listening rather than diving in head first into the money bin like a greedy Scrooge McDuck.

That said, I'm still hesitant that they will make these drastic changes work. The only thing I can take from this is that the issues that were seen will just be tweaked at best, but fixed. There is still going to be issues that are going to come up and those who are desperate and will be playing with their credit cards are still going to have an upper hand compared to someone who isn't going to pay.

I see that the argument of "it's only cosmetic, not gameplay affecting" is now steadily being replaced with "it's only incremental gameplay advantages". Sigh, further down the hole we go.
Yep. This is how you grease the slope.

Next will be "so what if its major gameplay advantages, its not supposed to be an ultra competitive mode".

Oh wait, I already read that regarding Halo 5's competitive Warzone mode. And so it continues.

Theres so many people here that will jump to give EA the benefit of the doubt that im surprised they even care to make changes.

They know how much traffic videos from youtubers concerning this topic get. One of the biggest PC gaming channels calling your game pay 2 win is exactly the kick in the ass they needed.
Yeah it's actually interesting to see all the YouTubers calling it out. Angry Joe's rant about it has 1 million views and Total biscuit's has 500k views and Jim Sterling just put up his rant today and already has over 100k views.

Some people here on GAF have a lot of disdain for YouTubers but I think they can be great assets when it comes to calling out industry BS.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I read this, and don’t understand how it’s different from the beta. I see posts saying “Good, sounds much better than the beta.”

Someone please explain the difference.

As I inferred from their statement, the advantage cards(lv. 4 abilities with best stats), are not earnable through random chance via loot boxes as in the beta. Instead they are earned via challenges and progression(seemingly identical to other FPS games).

This erodes the argument for ‘pay 2 win’ as, if I understand correctly, one -cannot- spend real money to improve the quality of their abilities.

It is mentioned star cards are still obtained via lootboxes but no specifics are given(secondary weapons?), but advantage cards again seem to be acquired only by challenge rewards.

So yes this does change things dramatically, but someone correct me if I misread their bulletpoints.

patchday

Yeah it's actually interesting to see all the YouTubers calling it out. Angry Joe's rant about it has 1 million views and Total biscuit's has 500k views and Jim Sterling just put up his rant today and already has over 100k views.

Some people here on GAF have a lot of disdain for YouTubers but I think they can be great assets when it comes to calling out industry BS.

Really enjoyed Angry Joe's rant. I already lost interest at the mere mention of loot boxes (that's not just cosmetics) but at least Angry Joe provided me with more info

But at least DICE has stepped out to make clarifications which will help others in their decisions

I still think vast majority of the public is just like, "OMG STAR WARS!!! BUY!!!" Then maybe after a month or so they'll realize the game has loot boxes and then complain. I think EA is gonna make a killing either way since most gamers (Esp FPS players) will only expect harmless cosmetics. and by the time they realize it's something more a month later EA will have their money

Really enjoyed Angry Joe's rant. I already lost interest at the mere mention of loot boxes (that's not just cosmetics) but at least Angry Joe provided me with more info

But at least DICE has stepped out to make clarifications which will help others in their decisions

I still think vast majority of the public is just like, "OMG STAR WARS!!! BUY!!!" Then maybe after a month or so they'll realize the game has loot boxes and then complain. I think EA is gonna make a killing either way since most gamers (Esp FPS players) will only expect harmless cosmetics. and by the time they realize it's something more a month later EA will have their money
If any of then play COD, they'll know better. The COD devs lie every year saying their crates will be just cosmetic and without fail every year they add exclusive guns.

Top Bottom