• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: TFBH "Game is Gold" Trailer

Piggus

I know right, all those Jewish jokes from way back when are super funny because Matt Stone considers himself ethnically Jewish, and they make fun of everyone anyway.... so when Cartman dressed like Hitler back in Season 8 and started a race riot chanting the words "We must exterminate the Jews" it was actually hilarious and I'm just an out of touch old man.

it's not virtue signaling when the joke is not just mean spirited and punching down, but also uses minstrel show caricatures and homophobic jokes to get to a punch line.

Thanks a lot, guys. Now I'm having flashbacks to the thread where people were outraged at the MGS2 gif of President Johnson grabbing Raiden by the crotch.

Well you are.

I was specifically responding to a post asking how JeTmAn81 thought that these jokes were fair play because it's Kanye.

I don't see the reason for listing Kanye's shortcomings if not to justify the jokes.

It don't make sense otherwise.

Someone basically said, there's no reason to dislike Kanye other than because he's black and speaks his mind.
Another person responding to that, letting them know that they have reason to dislike him, doesn't mean they are okay with or are justifying the joke.

JzSlENr.jpg

I am not saying you are wrong; they do a lot of pointlessly edgy stuff these days.

But how would you draw a cartoon female fish? I guess their choice of her body color is weird when the Kayne fish is so much lighter by comparison. You either take the lipstick off or lighten the body color, then I think the resemblance would be gone. It could be a design accident. It reminds me of that Canadian parade with the kids pushing the floats. I didn't think that was intentional either, just really oblivious to the optics if it.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
This statement seems to imply that an argument can be made that Stone is not in fact Jewish. Is that the case? I haven't heard that before.

No, it's his own description of how he views himself because he is neither religious nor considers himself to be culturally Jewish.

L Thammy

I am not saying you are wrong; they do a lot of pointlessly edgy stuff these days.

But how would you draw a cartoon female fish? I guess their choice of her body color is weird when the Kayne fish is so much lighter by comparison. You either take the lipstick off or lighten the body color, then I think the resemblance would be gone. It could be a design accident. It reminds me of that Canadian parade with the kids pushing the floats. I didn't think that was intentional either, just really oblivious to the optics if it.

Googled "female cartoon fish":

Yes, the Kanye joke was homophobic...

Not about, y'know, his inability to accept criticism or overall lack of humour.

And this trailer is taking the piss out of his mother's passing...

Not about, y'know, the idea of making a melodramatic mobile phone game to commemorate his mother's passing, and how ridiculous that is.

I mean, it's basically the slogan of the show, right? South Park: Where Everything is Surface Level and Nothing has Context.

Thank you.

I sympathize with those who think the fish herself is in bad taste, but holy shit that voice had me howling.

Someone basically said, there's no reason to dislike Kanye other than because he's black and speaks his mind.
Another person responding to that, letting them know that they have reason to dislike him, doesn't mean they are okay with or are justifying the joke.

I'm the one who made the post about him being black.

I didn't said that the only reason to dislike Kanye was because he was black.

I said that the person how made this post:

Kanye is insufferable so I'll laugh at pretty much any mockery of him

Probably felt that way because his black and not afraid to voice his opinion.

Now you saying that he's a douche or that he likes Trump is irrelevant because that was not the subject of my post. The subject of my post was that the aforementioned poster was ok with racist and gay jokes on Kanye.

Hope I made it clear now.

South Park had an episode in Season 13 where they again retreated to the 'loud, insecure celebrity is actually a closeted gay man' well of jokes (having done so earlier with Tom Cruise/John Travolta in Season 9), but this time it was a B-Story about Cartman stealing a 'gay fish' joke from Jimmy, only to also have it stolen from him by Carlos Mencia, who tells it to Kanye. The whole joke boils down to 'Kanye has no sense of humor and is insecure about his closeted homosexuality.'

Now we've got a talking gay fish (minus all of the context about joke stealing and humorless celebrities) with a gold chain and a dead mom. Someone posted the context for the 'unicorn' video game on the first page. Now they've added a full-on mammy fish for no good reason. And we got clowns in here fronting like this is what South Park is and does and stop being outraged snowflakes omg.

https://i.imgur.com/JzSlENr.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
[quote="spannicus, post: 249676083"]They calling him a gay fish. Kanye wanted to make a game about his mother going to heaven and SP is making fun of that.[/QUOTE]
Ok I get it now.
The black mom fish isn’t ok though. Who tf thought that was ok???

I know right, all those Jewish jokes from way back when are super funny because Matt Stone considers himself ethnically Jewish, and they make fun of everyone anyway.... so when Cartman dressed like Hitler back in Season 8 and started a race riot chanting the words "We must exterminate the Jews" it was actually hilarious and I'm just an out of touch old man.

That was the one about how the Passion of Christ was stirring up anti-semitism, and how everyone thought Gibson was a good filmmaker, when in reality he was just bat shit insane and into snuff/violence.

I think the message was, celebrating Jesus' death was fucked up and a way to hate on Jews for killing Jesus. Cartman on the other hand loved the movie because it got Kyle to apologize for being Jewish, and so he idolized Mel Gibson by dressing as Hitler. However, Gibson was his leader and he really wanted to please him by exterminating the Jews, and everyone went along with it without realizing Cartman was Hitler or something.

Thewonandonly

I'm 40 years old. I have an idea who Keyne West is but only because he was made fun of in an older South Park episode ("the fishdicks" one). I couldn't name one song of him nor was I aware that his mother just died. Hence, I didn't 'get' the inappropriate joke about his mother, nor did I make a connection between the fish and her, let alone black people. For me, it was just a random fish on a farting unicorn.

So, please, do not confuse me finding this trailer 'awesome' with me defending the racist joke.
Now I'm not saying anything about you not finding the joke racist becuase I didn't either until someone showed the mammy can and hot damn South Park that's bad.

But come on you knew who Kanye west was everyone knows who Kanye west is. My grandma makes fun of me for liaising to a crazy man when I tell her about Kanye west. Haha

I take your continued dishonesty about how you're on caught this 'generic cartoon fish woman' instead of 'thinly stretched Kanye-gay-fish joke at the expense of the late Donda West' as a sign to stop engaging with you.

What? I have no idea where you are coming from...now you are saying I am being dishonest!?! I thought we were just having a polite conversation about perspective. Wow, we live in two very different worlds.

But may I ask, why are you so certain of your perspective. Why do you think I am being dishonest? Is there zero possibly that it was just a design accident and people where oblivious to the resemblance? I did not see it until it was pointed out (and I am not the only one). Just because I did not see it does not mean it is not there, but the opposite is also true; just because you saw it does not mean it is there either. What does that say about how people see things? Does none of that matter in this conversation?

EDIT#2: Maybe I missed you're concern. Do you care more about making fun of Kayne's dead grandma, or the Minstrel show resemblance? Maybe we are just talking past each other?

EDIT:

Googled "female cartoon fish":

Yeah, but none of those styles really fit South Park. You can see that they added the eyelashes and lipstick, and stylized the eyes in a similar fashion, but it is definitely the choice of body color that really makes the resemblance. If they made the body color the same as the Kayne fish, then I think it would be a far stretch to draw a Minstrel show comparison. It could be intentional, but it also could be a design accident.

PSqueak

Banned
Ok I get it now.
The black mom fish isn't ok though. Who tf thought that was ok???

No one, south park still makes these kind of stuff for shock value, it's what makes hard for people to stay with the show.

For every thing mildly progressive they do, there is shit like this.

It's like their portrayal of Caitlyn Jenner, they were coming from a trans positive episode and then like 2 or 3 episodes later they portray her visually as a person who had a botched surgery.

L Thammy

But may I ask, why are you so certain of your perspective. Why do you think I am being dishonest? Is there zero possibly that it was just a design accident and people where oblivious to the resemblance? I did not see it until it was pointed out (and I am not the only one).

Do you live in North America?

No one, south park still makes these kind of stuff for shock value, it's what makes hard for people to stay with the show.

For every thing mildly progressive they do, there is shit like this.

It's like their portrayal of Caitlyn Jenner, they were coming from a trans positive episode and then like 2 or 3 episodes later they portray her visually as a person who had a botched surgery.

I'm pretty sure they did that because everyone was congratulating her on being brave and all that, but everyone was quick to forget that she killed someone after hitting them with her car (And AFAIK got away with it), and I feel like the reason she looks the way she does in SP is to reflect how horrible of a person on the inside she is, and yes, incorrectly celebrated for being Trans, IMO.

And this is coming from a MtF, if that has any significance to anyone.

TheAuldTriangle

Neo Member
Currently playing The Stick of Truth and really enjoying it, even though I havent seen an episode of South Park in 10 years or so.

Will most likely get this. Enjoy a bit of toliet humour every now and again.

Cranster

Banned
He's black and not afraid to speak his mind.

That's about it I'm sure.
He also tries so hard to play himself as some sort of victim all while profiting off his egotistical idiot moments because his fans will fall for anything.

Am I supposed to feel sympathy for a rich millionaire that even Obama called a jackass?

Village

He also tries so hard to play himself as some sort of victim all while profiting off his egotistical idiot moments because his fans will fall for anything.

Am I supposed to feel sympathy for a rich millionaire that even Obama called a jackass?
So racist, homophobic and jokes about dead woman almost completely unrelated to his fuckery are ok because you don't like someone?

PSOreo

I love how much ‘South Park’ pisses so many people off and how little it would bother Matt and Trey. Give these games to me now please!

I love how much ‘South Park’ pisses so many people off and how little it would bother Matt and Trey. Give these games to me now please!

I love these hot takes about how much they cosign on racist humor

okvoidx.png

I want more! More racism! I love how it offends snowflakes!

Ketkat

I'm pretty sure they did that because everyone was congratulating her on being brave and all that, but everyone was quick to forget that she killed someone after hitting them with her car (And AFAIK got away with it), and I feel like the reason she looks the way she does in SP is to reflect how horrible of a person on the inside she is, and yes, incorrectly celebrated for being Trans, IMO.

And this is coming from a MtF, if that has any significance to anyone.

Also trans, but it just came off as making fun of her for being trans for how she looks to me. I really don't buy the "They made her ugly because she's terrible on the inside" thing. They've never done it like that for other people

Also trans, but it just came off as making fun of her for being trans for how she looks to me. I really don't buy the "They made her ugly because she's terrible on the inside" thing. They've never done it like that for other people

That's fine. I'm fully aware that things can come across as different things to different people.

Was just giving my two cents.

Caleb187

Looks amazing, can't wait to play it. It better be coming to Steam and not that uplay thing ubisoft thinks is worth a damn.

Top Bottom