• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising 2: Off The Record |OT2|

kyubajin said:
Well, it seems that it's really really just Frank West skin + camera... I kinda liked DR2 but I'm not gonna play through it again.

Also, why is Frank fat?
It is years after the first Wilamette incident and Frank got rich off his tell all book and story. With being rich, comes eating a lot of food. Why should every video game protagonist be a buff, good looking guy? I would rather have Frank looking down and out than looking like he has been in the gym for the past 5 years. Think Chris Redfield from RE1 to RE5, I don't want that for Frank.

bubnbob

Banned
pje122 said:
Can someone answer this please?

Case Zero involves Chuck Greene. You need to then play vanilla DR2, since that is also Chuck Greene.

You can get vanilla DR2 for much, much cheaper than $40.

pje122 said:

If you don't care much about the story then jump on in with Off the Record. Details can always be read up on via Wikipedia.

Personally, I've never cared about the characters or what's going on. I play them as beat'em ups and that's it.

Kusagari

So, this really is just the same game? I should have known Capcom was BSing when they acted like the scenarios would be different.

pje122 said:
Yes, this is the one to get in that case, as long as you don't mind the checkpoint saving. The reduced load times, increased zombie count, Frank West + Photography mechanic making a return and the lower retail price would make it worth getting over DR2. Now, I think they are both worth a play through, but I won't be buying Off The Record until it drops in price though a steam sale.

ezekial45 said:
Do you still lose health in the Sandbox mode?

No health loss in sandbox mode. There are also now challenges to complete in sandbox mode as well.

ezekial45

Banned
Darkshier said:
No health loss in sandbox mode. There are also now challenges to complete in sandbox mode as well.
Fantastic. Plus the additions of challenge missions make it sound perfect. :)

It's what we've always wanted. Unimpeded exploration at our leisure.

KibblesBits said:
What is the point?
I mean, what?
Some people want to explore Fortune City at their leisure and apparently are too OCD to let a case mission fail and get all the time they want. Plus challenges. I can understand the sandbox mode, at least it got rid of the awful TIR online modes. Still can't comprehend the added checkpoints when entering and exiting an area though.

LastWindow said:
The no health loss isn't infinite health, right? It just doesn't slowly count down?

Yeah, sorry about my confusing wording. Your health doesn't slowly go down like Infinite mode in Dead Rising 1, you can still be damaged by zombies, psychos, whatever and still die though.

theDeeDubs

LastWindow said:
The no health loss isn't infinite health, right? It just doesn't slowly count down?

Correct on both questions. You can take damage from zombies. It just doesn't constantly drain.

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah, sorry about that. In the Infinity Mode in the original DR, you lost health overtime and had to use recovery items constantly.

akilshohen said:
are the load times definitely better this time around?
According to reviews and developer interviews, they have been at least cut in half, if not gotten rid of all together when zoning though certain areas.

Game Informer gave this a 9.5 again (DR2 received the same). Just seems extremely high for a retread, which they even point out multiple times in their review. Either way, I'll wait a couple weeks for a $20 PC version.

Chinner said:
Look they're not charging full price and besides you guys liked Dead Island and Mass Effect 2, so obviously there is no accounting for bad taste.

Chinner dropping truth bombs up in this mutha.

I'll pick it up during the mid-November lull. There's literally nothing on console coming out next month that I want, so this will be a fun time-filler when I'm not playing Mario 3D.

kyubajin

Darkshier said:
It is years after the first Wilamette incident and Frank got rich off his tell all book and story. With being rich, comes eating a lot of food. Why should every video game protagonist be a buff, good looking guy? I would rather have Frank looking down and out than looking like he has been in the gym for the past 5 years. Think Chris Redfield from RE1 to RE5, I don't want that for Frank.
I never said I wanted him to be like Chris, quite the contrary actually. His original appearance in Dead Rising was perfect "average Joe", that's what I liked about him.

However, if I was rich I'd have a gym at my place and personal trainers to help me stay fit and eat well, definitely wouldn't turn into a fat ball... different philosophies I guess.

derFeef

Watched the QL and somewhat interested. Does PP of Sandbox mode really do not carry over to your save file/campaign?

wow surprised at the hate

loved original and finished it, sequel didn't click with my like I thought it would

looking forward to this for the sandbox mode. loved the original but the lack of an open exploration really sucked - if u beat the game, that should have been possible IMO.

I loved Dead Rising 2, had an absolute blast with it, but I just can't bring myself to spend $40 on this, especially with the amount of actually-new games coming out these next few weeks. I'll wait on a Steam sale.

Chinner

Banned
see i didn't really enjoy DR2. not sure if OTR will fix that problem really. i thought it may share the same dark attitude the original had, but i'm unconvinced now. i'm also worried that they won't integrate uranus zone with the main plot....just seems silly not to.

Impressions from the first hour:

Well, they redid the entire intro gameplay (getting to the bunker). It's clearly a retelling as if Frank did everything, but a lot of the events are twisted - instead of racing there is a "wrestling" battle royale, instead of looking for Katey there's a stealthy photo shoot, etc. Overall I say it feels more "Dead Rising" to me (particularly with the camera), although I can't really tear it away from what I remember of playing Chuck through DR2.

(There's an immediate unlockable if it detects a DR2 save, by the way.)

As far as I can tell, this game is DR2, just altered wherever possible to fit Frank. So it's definitely not a swap job - clearly the story sections have all been heavily modified to fit, there's a lot of new dialogue - but it's Chuck's bunker, Chuck's escape route, Chuck finding Zombrex (although obviously for your own use, not for a little girl). Although obviously with a new zone and new combos. So probably won't branch off a lot for awhile yet.

Oh, and all of Frank's lines could have been taken from the first post of any GAF-NEWS thread.

Checkpoints: These only work while the game is on so I can understand why they did it. You can always ignore it and go back to a save, and you're still required to save between sessions - still, it is definitely another step away from the roguelike sandbox, even if it's a small one.

Menu System: Much improved, more responsive. Except for the save system and startup menu, oddly enough - those are as stop-go as ever. But ingame is great. Although, another change away from the roguelike sandbox is that there is no longer a "FPS watch" view. As far as I can tell, you can see Frank's watch (a digital) in the corner of the map screen and that's it.

All in all it's huge dose of "I've played this before" once you get to the freeroaming, but the story stuff is fresh. Will be interesting to see if Chuck was written out altogether...(if so, they may as well redo Case Zero and Case West...)

Crazymoogle said:
Impressions from the first hour:

Well, they redid the entire intro gameplay (getting to the bunker). It's clearly a retelling as if Frank did everything, but a lot of the events are twisted - instead of racing there is a "wrestling" battle royale, instead of looking for Katey there's a stealthy photo shoot, etc. Overall I say it feels more "Dead Rising" to me (particularly with the camera), although I can't really tear it away from what I remember of playing Chuck through DR2.

(There's an immediate unlockable if it detects a DR2 save, by the way.)

As far as I can tell, this game is DR2, just altered wherever possible to fit Frank. So it's definitely not a swap job - clearly the story sections have all been heavily modified to fit, there's a lot of new dialogue - but it's Chuck's bunker, Chuck's escape route, Chuck finding Zombrex (although obviously for your own use, not for a little girl). Although obviously with a new zone and new combos. So probably won't branch off a lot for awhile yet.

Oh, and all of Frank's lines could have been taken from the first post of any GAF-NEWS thread.

Checkpoints: These only work while the game is on so I can understand why they did it. You can always ignore it and go back to a save, and you're still required to save between sessions - still, it is definitely another step away from the roguelike sandbox, even if it's a small one.

Menu System: Much improved, more responsive. Except for the save system and startup menu, oddly enough - those are as stop-go as ever. But ingame is great. Although, another change away from the roguelike sandbox is that there is no longer a "FPS watch" view. As far as I can tell, you can see Frank's watch (a digital) in the corner of the map screen and that's it.

All in all it's huge dose of "I've played this before" once you get to the freeroaming, but the story stuff is fresh. Will be interesting to see if Chuck was written out altogether...(if so, they may as well redo Case Zero and Case West...)

Which console version are you playing? And no more watch view? Really? I can't even begin to understand that change.

Anyone pick this up on PS3? I would like to know how it looks and runs, since the DR2 on PS3 was less then stellar in the performance dept. Thanks!!

Jaroof

Did anyone else notice that on the back of the box, it says the game supports 1080P resolution?

I got in the game, and it only went up to 720p.. :/

Was it a mistake?

Darkshier said:
Which console version are you playing? And no more watch view? Really? I can't even begin to understand that change.
360 version, installed (as I've done with every 360 game).

The watch integration makes sense from a simplification aspect; you mostly want it for judging time vs. objectives, and it frees up a badly needed button. But it loses another step of that original rogue-like immersion because it's another decision taken away from the player - I know the whole "no talk and fight" from DR1 was annoying, but it was an actual decision you had to make with consequences either way. (The watch implication being that time was "on" while looking at it.)

Hahaha - SO MUCH HATE!!

1. This game is pretty much just DR2 - lets call it: The DEFINITIVE 'DR2'.
2. The game is EASIER, but also ALOT less frustrating (Psychos are toned down a little I've found and the checkpoints are great when you 'make a tiny mistake with psychos' etc.)
3. There are definitely some engine improvements.
4. Loading times ARE improved!
5. I know what you're thinking: How can they actually charge money for a 1+yr old game with hardly any improvements? Yeah, I agree, but chuck that disc in, Get in the Plaid Tank-Top, chuck on the Serv-Bot mask and laught your guts out through the cutscenes; it really never gets old :)

Crazymoogle said:
360 version, installed (as I've done with every 360 game).

The watch integration makes sense from a simplification aspect; you mostly want it for judging time vs. objectives, and it frees up a badly needed button. But it loses another step of that original rogue-like immersion because it's another decision taken away from the player - I know the whole "no talk and fight" from DR1 was annoying, but it was an actual decision you had to make with consequences either way. (The watch implication being that time was "on" while looking at it.)
What action is used for the watch button instead? Thanks for the impressions and the response btw. Much appreciated. Too bad for the still sluggish menu, that was one of my major gripes with the original DR2.

Amagon

Wolfgang Jr said:
Hahaha - SO MUCH HATE!!

1. This game is pretty much just DR2 - lets call it: The DEFINITIVE 'DR2'.
2. The game is EASIER, but also ALOT less frustrating (Psychos are toned down a little I've found and the checkpoints are great when you 'make a tiny mistake with psychos' etc.)
3. There are definitely some engine improvements.
4. Loading times ARE improved!
5. I know what you're thinking: How can they actually charge money for a 1+yr old game with hardly any improvements? Yeah, I agree, but chuck that disc in, Get in the Plaid Tank-Top, chuck on the Serv-Bot mask and laught your guts out through the cutscenes; it really never gets old :)
Just like Friskykillface said, the difficulty of DR2 was perfect. Making OTR easier is meh. I have no complaints about the psychos other than you have to be prepared when you fight them and strategized.

B-Dex

From the little bit i've played so far. the intro is totally redone to be all about Frank. There is an added camera photo taking section to it.

It seems like they redesigned Stacey a bit. Unless I am just remembering her face wrong. The graphics looks a tad better imo. But again it's been awhile since I played DR2. Load times are vastly improved.

Also, the manual is full color. Not even white pages.

I agree, Dead Rising 2's difficulty was perfect, i just needed the survivors to not be so helpless and i could beat it, they did that and it was much better.

watching the stream now , lol the same boss but it did have a new space area, looked cool.

will get the PS3 version from goozex, i'm first in line :D

RIP all cases lol in the stream

B-Dex

That stream is the ps3 version and it doesn't look half bad. When I tried DR2 on ps3 it looked like a sub hd jagged nightmare.

Suairyu

Banned
I dunno, DR2 was much easier than DR1, and even DR1 I finished (including overtime) without ever having to restart to level.

OTR being easier still would just make it really boring, I reckon.

B-Dex said:
It seems like they redesigned Stacey a bit. Unless I am just remembering her face wrong.

I'm guessing you're right, because I had the same exact thought during the cutscene before heading off to the hotel. She was noticeably different, somehow.

Some other changes worth noting:

- There are security keys hidden throughout the game, meant for Yakuza-style lockers.
- The looters now like to spray you in the face with spraypaint. If they get you they can steal one of your held items and run away (you can chase, but that's problematic during some situations. And yes, they will try to ambush you during the cases.)
- The game flatout tells you with a warning when a survivor is too far away. (That's a change, right? I don't remember it before.)
- Money has been rebalanced. You get a lot of cash from vending but the cost of zombrex has gone up.
- There's a new item...or at least one I don't remember; a 2 million dollar pair of army goggles. (Night Vision, maybe?)

onken

Humm not sure about this, thought this was gonna be like Assignment Ada where you're behind the scenes doing separate stuff. Seems it's just actually a model swap and they've hacked the story to fit ;/

At least it's cheaper than normal I guess. I may get it depending on how big the engine improvements are.

onken said:
Humm not sure about this, thought this was gonna be like Assignment Ada where you're behind the scenes doing separate stuff. Seems it's just actually a model swap and they've hacked the story to fit ;/

That's the thing; it is and it isn't. All of the cases are conceptually the same, but completely rewritten to handle Frank. So it's both new and a retread. For instance, Rebecca is initially quite hostile to Frank (since they're both journalists), everybody and their mother knows who Frank is and responds accordingly, etc. Frank can also administer his doses of Zombrex in the field (you use it with the newly freed up left dpad). It seems like there is a fair amount of "polish content" sprinkled throughout the mallscape, but not enough to completely change the game.

B-Dex said:
That stream is the ps3 version and it doesn't look half bad. When I tried DR2 on ps3 it looked like a sub hd jagged nightmare.

Thats why I am holding off on buying until I find out if they made improvements over DR2 for PS3.

TheBanditKing said:
Thats why I am holding off on buying until I find out if they made improvements over DR2 for PS3.

Same here. They bump it up to 720p or AT LEAST add Vsync, I'll get the PS3 version over 360.

Top Bottom