• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Dinklage in Bungie's Destiny - That wizard came from the moon

This is something that people that haven't even played the alpha (xbox owners) can give their personal input on.

From what you've heard of Dinklage's performance in the game so far, how would you rate it.

• Good
  • Average
  • Bad

If you would like to elaborate it would be nice. I'm hopeful that if enough people take issue with his performance Bungie will be able to do something about it prior to launch.

I'll start.

I don't know if he was directed poorly or if he was simply going through the motions, but I'd say his performance sounds....

BAD.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It sounds like a performance that, if you threw a subtle vocoder filter on top, it would sound perfectly fine.

Wait is that who the announcer is? Holy crap.

He's awesome on Game of Thrones, but one of my most standout impressions of the alpha was "wow, big step down from Halo announcer"

Man

He's the Ghost, your personal robot companion.
He either had bad directing or phoned it in. BAD but bearable.

Even worse (I would call it catastrophic) is the MP/PvP/Crucible announcer. Oh my what an absolute trainwreck...

Superflat

Needs a light filter to make it sound a little like the voice is actually being synthesized. Otherwise it just sounds like bored Dinklage.

Most overrated actor of the century.

More like the most overrated actor in the history of the universe times infinity amirite

WarpathDC

BAD-good game otherwise

If he did lines from game of thrones instead of would be more appealing.

Seriously though it sounds phoned in.

I think it sounds great. Completely understand why some (read: all) of you guys seem to think it just sounds like Dinklage is completely uninterested, but I feel like he nailed the tone they were going for.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Someone said that Dinklage is voicing a machine of some sort and that would explain his unnatural way of delivering lines.

In any case, once I do a proper interview with Bungie, I'll ask about it.

I kinda am used to it by now, to be honest.

Gestault

I was having this exact conversation elsewhere today. I actively dislike the voice, but I'm almost positive he was directed to limit himself to the flat intonations. I get the idea of what they might have been going for, I think it was just a bad choice.

I don't like the idea of technology so advanced it can perfectly mimic a human voice, for an AI as advanced as it's supposed to be here, but have it vocalize with such awkward, unnatural intonation. If the voice it going to be flat, I want old sci-fi style "shitty" playback distortion to reinforce the idea of imperfect tech. Make it sound synthesized, don't make it sound like a man sitting in a waiting room reading a magazine aloud.

If he's going for a robot voice, it's fine.

Otherwise, he just sounds really bored. Like he just woke up or was hungover or something.

Horrible.

It just doesnt fit in the game's narrative. You are a soul-less character with 0 personality, his voice sounds like a father lecturing a misguided kid.

I have no need for your lessons. I'm a plain soldier.

NuKERxyz

He either had bad directing or phoned it in. BAD.

Even worse (I would call it catastrophic) is the MP/PvP/Crucible announcer. Oh my what an absolute trainwreck...

Yep, its even worse in pvp. Its BAD!

GavinGT

Banned
Someone said that Dinklage is voicing a machine of some sort and that would explain his unnatural way of delivering lines.

In any case, once I do a proper interview with Bungie, I'll ask about it.

I kinda am used to it by now, to be honest.

Isn't he voicing the little thing that flies around the playable character?

S1kkZ

he sounds really bored and terrible (i love dinklage in got).
it also sounds like they had to cut together different samples to form complete sentences.

in the alpha, he sounds like someone who is just there to collect the paycheck and doent really give a fuck.

zedge

I like it. But I also recognize alot of voices in the game. Claudia Black, Lance Reddick, among others. Very cool.

Is there a full list somewhere of all the voice actors?

Needs some filter so it sounds like a synthesized AI voice. Which is what I think they are doing since they had one on his voice in the E3 trailer. Don't know why the Alpha didn't have it.

It's bad. Like he isn't being directed whats so ever and he is just reading his lines with no emotion. Sounds like a audio book read.

Tobor

I'm on team #good. I'm playing the Alpha, and the voice works. It's an AI, and he is playing the role as such.

Sojgat

BAD.

The character is meant to come off as bored and uninterested, but instead the actor does.

Bungie could try making him sound more robotic, but that would also serve to mask Dinklage's recognizable voice, which is probably the main reason they wanted him.

He either had bad directing or phoned it in. BAD but bearable.

My thoughts exactly. He's an AI, so it's forgivable. However, the PVP announcer is laughably bad and outright distracting.

Top Bottom