• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yoshi title announced for Wii U! (Looks like Yoshi: Epic Yarn)

Epic Yarn was amazing. Despite the lack of difficulty, it had great atmosphere and variety on par with the Mario Galaxys. Can't wait for this game.

Piers

Kirby games are usually easy so this game might be harder.

Not if Tezuka has anything to do with it. Part of why Yoshi's Story and Mario 3D Land bugs me is how unnecessarily easy the main game is, but alas - Tezuka cannot play games for shit but apparently if he can't beat it, it's far too hard.

It's also stupid how this is literally riding visually on Epic Yarn's coat tails. Little Big Planet has already gone and championed the look and feel as well, so as people are saying - it would of been much more interesting to go back towards Yoshi's Islands aesthetics.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Disappointing we didn't get a brand new art style, aside from the LittleBigPlanet 3D stuff, which looks great.

Nekki

Another screenshot that shows the "different" art style

oKiHQ8X.jpg

BowieZ

Banned
I expect a Yoshi's Island 2 using the old SNES/DS art style will be for 3DS, maybe in a couple years time.

That way the parallax layers can truly 'pop' with 3D depth of field.

Which one of these visual concepts are they going for? I see Epic Yarn but with Yoshi, Epic Yarn with 3D yoshi, a more LBP 3D style and then a shot with a window sill visible (like it takes place in a play-room). I'm very confused.

Is anyone else slightly bummed they're using the same exact style as Kirby's Epic Yarn?

I loved that style, but I would've like something fresh...

I would've taken a new spin on Yoshi's Island SNES TBH.

27078-super-mario-world-2-yoshi-s-island-snes-screenshot-beautiful.jpg

A remade art style of that could've looked jaw dropping.

DjRoomba

Banned
Not really feeling the art style. It worked great for Kirby, but it's a travesty that they aren't revisiting the Yoshi's Island look.

Yeah it woulda been sweet to see like an animated platformer, like Wario Shake-It but not anime, yoshis island style. Thats where they shoulda gone for Yoshi. This very much looks like a retread of Epic Yarn. But hey, its early days. It may end up being coolest thing ever who knows.

Pociask

Love the Epic Yarn look and feel, but a little disappointed, because I was excited to see what the Wii U could do with the original crayon aesthetic. And now I realize I'm arguing on the internet about the relative value of yarn vs. crayon graphics.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
getting 100% on Epic Yarn was certainly NOT easy.

but it was also certainly not a great game.

hah.

It was easy, it was even way too easy. But it was a good game. Not as good (due to being so easy and slow) as Wario Land TSD, though.

Just seeing those screens now, they look absolutely amazing. The Master of the Miiverse was right. I almost can't believe this is happening. Day one.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Not if Tezuka has anything to do with it. Part of why Yoshi's Story and Mario 3D Land bugs me is how unnecessarily easy the main game is, but alas - Tezuka cannot play games for shit but apparently if he can't beat it, it's far too hard.

Didn't Tezuka also work a lot on Super Mario Bros. 2, the real one, one of the hardest platformers of all time?

XaosWolf

As long as it's more along the lines of Island than Story, then I don't care what it looks like.
Those later screens are awesome though, if a little empty.

There's 2 freaking Yoshi models shown in the snippet. (2D and 3D) there's clearly going to be some sort of perspective switch element to the game. I know you get it, maybe, but I feel that some people are being obtuse.

Brera

Banned
Man, I know Yoshi's Story disappointed a lot of people, but come on guys, Yoshi has been in a felt and crafts style game before

Yoshi's Story was dog shit.

Yoshi's Island DS was dog shit.

This looks like dog shit.

Gimme more of this Nintendo:

Super_Mario_World_2_Yoshis_Island.jpg

The sad thing about Nintendo is that they never seem to acknowledge when they make a dogshit game. Once they release a shit game in a series, that's it, they'll build on that dogshit and make it worse and worse until we get stuff like this and Starfox Command and NSMB.

RIP Yoshi. You were a gaming god but now...you're a gaming dog :-(

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Love the Epic Yarn look and feel, but a little disappointed, because I was excited to see what the Wii U could do with the original crayon aesthetic. And now I realize I'm arguing on the internet about the relative value of yarn vs. crayon graphics.

Serious business yo videogames etc etc

But really, I am a bit surprised they're going straight with almost an Epic Yarn continuation (wouldn't be surprised if the story crosses over in some way too).

Epic Yarn was easy, but for me very engaging to play, so it didn't get boring. And the one thing it had going for it was that the control and character physics were so damn solid. It very much had a tactile feel that Good Feel seems to specialize in. Level design was also interesting and varied, even if easy in terms of absolute difficulty.

I would have liked to see a take on the original YI's visual style, but can't knock a well executed visual package. Will wait and see how more of this game looks.

bbdude

Really? I heard mixed feedback on that one. Hmm, might get that for my DSXL.
Haven't played it myself, but people on GAF have said the music is awful and the level design deteriorates as you progress..... might was well give it a rent at your local Blockbuster

Wow, this looks amazing. Yoshi's Story style arts and crafts gfx in HD, YES!

Epic Yarn was amazing. Despite the lack of difficulty, it had great atmosphere and variety on par with the Mario Galaxys. Can't wait for this game.

This. Even though Epic Yarn was really easy it was still a very enjoyable platformer.

Yoshi's Story was dog shit.

Yoshi's Island DS was dog shit.

This looks like dog shit.

Gimme more of this Nintendo:

Super_Mario_World_2_Yoshis_Island.jpg

The sad thing about Nintendo is that they never seem to acknowledge when they make a dogshit game. Once they release a shit game in a series, that's it, they'll build on that dogshit and make it worse and worse until we get stuff like this and Starfox Command and NSMB.

RIP Yoshi. You were a gaming god but now...you're a gaming dog :-(

Hold on, are you saying NSMB was dog shit?

As long as you can actually see a Game Over screen, I'll be ok. Personally I thought the yarn style fit Yoshi more than it did Kirby, apparently somebody else thought so too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

looks interesting in a LBP way, but I don't know if I want Yoshi running along a windowsill. I liked when he lived in his own universe - this makes him look like a toy.

will have an open mind though.

Kid Ying

To me, this looks even better aesthetically than Epic Yarn, but i need to see how it plays before getting hype, cause Epic Yarn was all looks and not much fun to me.

Dandalf

Neo Member
I really hope it's more difficult than Kirby's Epic Yarn.

I've never been more let down by the difficulty in a game than I was with Epic Yarn. It was almost literally impossible to die.

If this Yoshi title follows in that same vein I don't know if I'll be able to push through it.

entremet

Is anyone else slightly bummed they're using the same exact style as Kirby's Epic Yarn?

I loved that style, but I would've like something fresh...

I would've taken a new spin on Yoshi's Island SNES TBH.

27078-super-mario-world-2-yoshi-s-island-snes-screenshot-beautiful.jpg

A remade art style of that could've looked jaw dropping.

Ugh at that filter.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I can only hope it's not babby's first platformer like Kirby's Epic Yarn.

I was so bored with Epic Yarn in the beginning. But as the game went on, scoring the highest star rating per stage.. with the amazing soundtrack.. really sold me on the game. I prefer it over Return to Dream Land, actually.

I have high hopes for this title.

Subtle

I let out an audible sigh when I saw that Yoshi was 2D and made of yarn, but these other screenshots with 3D Yoshi are giving me hope! More stuff like this please, but in 3D:

Yoshi's%20Story%20(U)%20(M2).png

600full-yoshi's-story-screenshot.jpg

Please, no Yoshi's Epic Yarn!

And stop hating on Yoshi's Story you old farts!

KAL2006

Banned
Someone said to me new Yoshi's Island got announced. This isn't it Yoshi's Island was a classic with a cool art style and amazing music. All the shit since then have been garbage (Yoshi's Stiry and etc).

Top Bottom