• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoichi Wada has not left Square Enix, he is now Chairman of the Board

duckroll

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/company/en/officer/

Like the title says:

Code:
[b]Chairman of the Board
Yoichi Wada[/b]
Date of Birth: May 28, 1959

Apr. 2000	Joined SQUARE CO., LTD. (currently SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.)
Jun. 2000	Director and CFO
Sep. 2001	Representative Director and COO
Dec. 2001	President and CEO
Apr. 2003	President and Representative Director, SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
Jul. 2006	President and Representative Director, TAITO CORPORATION
Oct. 2008	President and Representative Director, SQUARE ENIX HOLDINGS CO., LTD.
Jun. 2013	Chairman of the Board, SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. (incumbent)

MV5BNjUxMDAyMzUyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDE4MTMyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR2,0,214,317_.jpg

spirity

My baby loves my warm embrace
And I love to see
The joy upon her face

Cause I'm the chairman
Chairman of the board
I'm the chairman
Chairman of my baby's board

Xux

Nice. Guy seems pretty passionate every time he's on the FFXIV stuff. The company's problems don't seem like his fault alone.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

Like the title says:

Code:
[b]Chairman of the Board
Yoichi Wada[/b]

Is this an higher position than before?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Technically it is a "higher" position. The CEO reports to the board and the chairman is obviously the chairman of the board. But the chairman has much less impact on day to day management and more commonly sets high level priorities and management objectives (if that). Think of the board as the sort of charterers of a ship while the CEO and other executives are actually at sea.

The board is responsible to and elected directly by shareholders.

TheChaos0

Chairman of the Board so the highest member of the board. Essentially yes. But it's more looking at the overall picture than managing the day to day activities of the company, which what CEO does. So he'll be less involved.

TheChaos0

No. It's definitely a "demotion" in the sense that he's no longer running Square Enix Holdings or on the board there, he's the Chairman of the Board at Square Enix itself, which is the Japanese development/publishing company.

You got me before the edit. :)

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Technically it is a "higher" position. The CEO reports to the board and the chairman is obviously the chairman of the board. But the chairman has much less impact on day to day management and more commonly sets high level priorities and management objectives (if that). Think of the board as the sort of charterers of a ship while the CEO and other executives are actually at sea.

The board is responsible to and elected directly by shareholders.

Chairman of the Board so the highest member of the board. Essentially yes. But it's more looking at the overal picture than managing the day to day activities of the company, which what CEO does.

Thanks. Then I'm kinda happy to know he is still playing a role in the company, afterall this is the man that resurrected a dead company (Squaresoft), gave new light to a small publisher (Enix), bought the best western studios available at the time (and expanded S-E worldwide through it) and he is the man behind the decision to develop the Luminous Studio. I mean... didn't make much sense removing him completely from the company. Even if he made his mistakes I guess in regards to FF.

Kenka

Thanks. Then I'm kinda happy to know he is still playing a role in the company, afterall this is the man that resurrected a dead company (Squaresoft), gave new light to a small publisher (Enix), bought the best western studios available at the time (and expanded S-E worldwide through it) and he is the man behind the decision to develop the Luminous Studio. I mean... didn't make much sense removing him completely from the company. Even if he made his mistakes I guess in regards to FF.
I am more shocked than I should be after having read this benign comment.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
As long as he's involved in the decisions like buying Eidos and not in the ones such as deciding the release date of XIV, we're golden.

duckroll

As long as he's involved in the decisions like buying Eidos and not in the ones such as deciding the release date of XIV, we're golden.

I have a feeling that his position in the company now means he's going to be making more decisions like the latter, rather than anything like the former. :p

Also the genius mastermind behind the greastest jRPG saga known the man: Fabula Nova Crystallis.

Jarnet87

I hated the Eidos move personally. It was just another step in Enix getting away from internally developing games, especially for the Western/multiple market. Oh you want us to develop new games or use our old IPs? No thanks, here's another Tomb Raider and Hit Man sequel lol. I would normally think the only way to go is up if Wada's new position gives him less to do with decision making, but this is Enix we are talking about, they've been making terrible decisions for a decade now.

Like the title says:

Code:
[b]Chairman of the Board
Yoichi Wada[/b]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD3VsesSBsw

Top Bottom