• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtual Console exodus continues: Star Parodier gets delisted from Wii Shop Channel

rjc571

Banned
I was just browsing through the shop channel when I noticed that the legendary cute 'em up Star Parodier is no longer available for purchase. So if you still haven't gotten the chance to experience this masterpiece, it looks like importing a Japanese Turbo CD to play it on is now your only option.

alf717

Would be nice to get a heads up before they remove them. Even if they are removed it could drive some final sale since it will be removed anyway.

Petrae

Would be nice to get a heads up before they remove them. Even if they are removed it could drive some final sale since it will be removed anyway.

I just tweeted the same sentiment.

Why can't consumers be given even a week's notice that games are being delisted? It gives consumers a last chance to buy them and could give last-chance revenue boosts to publishers and to marketplace curators.

Business is business, I guess.

I bought it a few weeks go.

I've been trying to buy the TG16 games slowly on Wii VC because I have no idea how they're still available. With Konami's incompetence i thought for sure it'd be the first thing delisted from the wii VC.

I bought it a few weeks go.

I've been trying to buy the TG16 games slowly on Wii VC because I have no idea how they're still available. With Konami's incompetence i thought for sure it'd be the first thing delisted from the wii VC.

Good call!

CALLING ALL WII GAFFERS!

What TG16/TG16CD games are still up? We should grab some before it's too late!

Luckily I bought the game ages ago when my Wii seen more activity back then. It was definitely a very fun game. The music was indeed awesome. Now I feel like playing it again.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I think the "exodus" is yet to begin, but it *is* coming. This is probably a warning shot; I expect most/all TurboGrafx games delisted from Wii Shop by year's end.

But why exodus? Surely it doesn't cost Konami or others a lot to keep these games up; barring licensing costs.

Petrae

But why exodus? Surely it doesn't cost Konami or others a lot to keep these games up; barring licensing costs.

With the Wii now dead, Nintendo likely passes on license renewals for the Wii Shop. So, as they expire, the games are gradually delisted and the Shop contracts.

To be honest, I expect the Wii Shop to be gone by the end of 2016. No more purchases or (re)downloads. I hope I'm wrong, but it costs money to maintain and I don't see consumers putting enough money into Wii Shop to keep the lights on.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I just tweeted the same sentiment.

Why can't consumers be given even a week's notice that games are being delisted? It gives consumers a last chance to buy them and could give last-chance revenue boosts to publishers and to marketplace curators.

Business is business, I guess.

yeah 5 extra people buying Star Parodier the day before Nintendo took it down sure would put Konami in the black lemme tell ya

Petrae

yeah 5 extra people buying Star Parodier the day before Nintendo took it down sure would put Konami in the black lemme tell ya

"Hey, look! There's a $5 bill on the ground!"

"Nah, that's not gonna get me out of debt. It's worthless."

The extra revenue-- as little of it as there might have been-- is secondary to giving consumers the courtesy of having one last opportunity to buy before it's gone for good.

But again, this is how the industry works today. Consumers really don't count for anything and should just be glad that they're given the opportunity to buy games.

Javier

Full list of TG-16 titles available on NA Wii Shop as of Mar 29, 2014:

- Air "Zonk" (Hudson)
- Alien Crush (Hudson)
- Battle Lode Runner (Hudson)
- Blazing Lazers (Hudson)
- Bomberman 93 (Hudson)
- Bomberman 94 (Hudson)
- Bonk 3 - Bonk's Big Adventure (Hudson)
- Bonk's Adventure (Hudson)
- Bonk's Revenge (Hudson)
- Bravoman (Namco Bandai)
- Break In (Naxat Soft)
- Castlevania Rondo of Blood (Konami)
- Chase H.Q. (Taito)
- Chew Man Fu (Hudson)
- China Warrior (Hudson)
- Cho Aniki (Hudson)
- Cratermaze (Hudson)
- Dead Moon (Natsume)
- Detana Twin Bee (Konami)
- Devil's Crush (Hudson)
- Digital Champ Battle Boxing (Naxat Soft)
- Double Dungeons (Hudson)
- Dragon Spirit (Namco Bandai)
- Dragon's Curse (Hudson)
- Dungeon Explorer (Hudson)
- Fighting Street (Capcom)
- Final Soldier (Hudson)
- Galaga 90 (Namco Bandai)
- Gate of Thunder (Hudson)
- Gradius II Gofer No Yabou (Konami)
- J.J. & Jeff (Hudson)
- Legend of Hero Tonma (Irem Soft)
- Lords of Thunder (Hudson)
- Military Madness (Hudson)
- Monster Lair (Hudson)
- Moto Roader (Hudson)
- Neutopia (Hudson)
- Neutopia II (Hudson)
- New Adventure Island (Hudson)
- Ninja Spirit (Irem Soft)
- Ordyne (Namco Bandai)
- Power Golf (Hudson)
- Psychosis (Naxat Soft)
- R-Type (Hudson)
- Riot Zone (Hudson)
- Samurai-Ghost (Namco Bandai)
- Shockman (Hudson)
- SimEarth: The Living Planet (Hudson)
- Soldier Battle (Hudson)
- Splatterhouse (Namco Bandai)
- Street Fghter II: Champion Edition (Capcom)
- Super Air Zonk (Hudson)
- Super Star Soldier (Hudson)
- The Dynastic Hero (Hudson)
- Victory Run (Hudson)
- Vigilante (Irem Soft)
- World Class Baseball (Hudson)
- World Sports Competition (Hudson)
- Ys Book I & II (Nihon Falcom)

Somnid

Only thing I can find is a company called Kaneco helped develop it and they went bankrupt several years ago. There might be some new licensing issue. I thought Konami owned it all, but perhaps not?

There is notification in Europe. Problem is the notification tends to be on the shop channel news page rather than something people actually read (like the twitter accounts).

Top Bottom