• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terminator 1 vs Terminator 2. Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Robocop

robocop-04-gif-tagged-saint-pauly-wtf.gif

This is the correct answer, I change mine

Jarmel

Banned
Terminator 1. Easily.

It's a taut horror movie that I think does a great job of reflecting social fears with the rise of computers and the internet.

Fruitster

T1 easily. I think T2 is fantastic, but the first film is on another level for me.

And Robocop is god tier too.

The Kree

Banned
I think T2 loses a tiny bit of it's impact if you know ahead of time that Arnie is the good guy. I watched it recently with someone who had only seen the first one and their reaction to him rescuing John at the arcade and the reveal of the T1000 as the villain was amazing. As a kid, having not paid close attention to the marketing when it was new, I remember being dumbstruck at that moment, too.

Sephzilla

I think T2 loses a tiny bit of it's impact if you know ahead of time that Arnie is the good guy. I watched it recently with someone who had only seen the first one and their reaction to him rescuing John at the arcade and the reveal of the T1000 as the villain was amazing. As a kid, having not paid close attention to the marketing when it was new, I remember being dumbstruck at that moment, too.

If the marketing didn't give away that twist ahead of time I think that might have gone down as a plot twist on par with the one in Empire Strikes Back

Terminator 1, it's not even close.
I adored T2 as a kid but I just can't sit through it as an adult. Sarah Connor is great in T2, I'll admit, but the first one is b-movie perfection.

Would it be ridiculous if I preferred the action scenes in 1 to 2? I get that there's more going in 2 and the set pieces are impressive, but in terms of atmosphere, sets, and sense of danger, I feel more immersed with 1's action scenes.

I don't think there's anything in 2 that compares with the Tech Noir and Police Station scenes.

I am one of the few that thinks James Cameron has not done anything good since Terminator 1.

I still like Terminator 2 but I feel this way at times.

kunonabi

I can watch the first endlessly. I never really feel like going back to t2. I love sarah but the rest of the movie never keeps my attention.

ZeroCDR

An extremely close call, I'd say I slightly prefer the grittiness and smaller scale of T1. The horror emphasis really works well, it's a genuinely scary film.

T2 loses some edge as the T-1000 is not nearly as intimidating as the T-800. Also John Connor is being protected by a T-800, this near unstoppable force from the first film. T-1000 also disappears for a huge chunk of the film until finale time.

Sephzilla

It's not a great performance, and Cameron didn't write him well in the first place.

Ok, I can understand that perspective. I guess he just never bothered me that much because I just assumed he was a fucked up kid who was raised by some really shitty parents. In hindsight Furlong's performance isn't that great

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Terminator>Terminator 2
Alien>Aliens

Pretty easy. All four a great films but the originals just can't be beat.

The Kree

Banned
Would it be ridiculous if I preferred the action scenes in 1 to 2? I get that there's more going in 2 and the set pieces are impressive, but in terms of atmosphere, sets, and sense of danger, I feel more immersed with 1's action scenes.

I don't think there's anything in 2 that compares with the Tech Noir and Police Station scenes.

T2 is an action movie, straight up, but the first one always felt more like a horror film to me. The Terminator was more of straight up monster there. The visual effects and slightly comedic edge of the sequel took it away from that. The T1000 was too cool to be scary.

liquidtmd

Banned
T1, easily for me and I love T2

It's Cameron at his lean, mean best. A stalker B-Movie with sci-fi clothes. I also thought the future war was much better when it was hinted at. Small slivers to frame to modern day story. Since the first movie launched there were those wanting to see a whole future war movie and I never ever agreed it would be an effective piece.

Sephzilla

Terminator 1 has aged better.

Eh, I'm not sure there. At least in special effects. Some of the practical Terminator effects (the eye removal scene) look really bad in high definition. Meanwhile the CG T-1000 scenes in Terminator 2 looks remarkably decent given the early 90s CG in play. Terminator 2 also has practical effects work that people are still fooled into thinking was CG 20+ years later

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
T2 is one of the greatest films ever made. I'll be honest when I watched 1 I thought it was horseshit, but I'm going to revisit. This is the promise I made to you.

Eh, I'm not sure there. Some of the practical Terminator effects (the eye removal scene) look really bad in high definition. Meanwhile the CG T-1000 scenes in Terminator 2 looks remarkably decent given the early 90s CG in play

The low budget nature of the first one makes it more acceptable for me. Arnold's stunt double in T2 is so obvious in dozens of shots.

I also think it's funny how people think Cameron's taste for corn and simple, mawkish bullshit was somehow a thing that popped up out of nowhere in Titanic and Avatar. Like it was unforeseeable he would have indulged in such blatant, hammy manipulation of the kind he constantly pushed in those movies...

...when he decided to end Terminator 2 with a flaming thumbs up from the killbot who understands why people cry now.

giphy.gif

Like, that was the end of his Terminator series, at the time. That was its sendoff.

From here:
VuDJWoc.gif

to here:
giphy.gif

And people were like "Where did all this cheese come from?" in 1997. Unironically.

T2 may be more "fun", but T1 is a better film.

This actually happens quite a bit with sequels

I'm looking at you Alien, Austin Powers, Addams Family...

Taking execution into account; I think the whole concept of terminator seats better with the action film. The framing on both of them is camp, but the second one embraces the camp of the premise. The whole thing about the computer engineer realizing that he has to throw his life work away is probably the best thing out of the two.

Aselith

As a kid, Terminator 1 felt really dated looking compared to the sequel, and we're only talking seven or eight years later.

It was a low budget movie I believe and T2 got to blow it out due to its success. Edit yeah per Wikipedia may not be accurate but it was 6 mill vs 100 mill budget. Biiiiiiggg difference.

T2 for me.

mxgt

Banned
Terminator 1 > Terminator 2
Alien > Aliens

This will be true to the end of time.

The nightclub scene in T1 is better than anything in T2.

The original Terminator is so much better. T2 was too corny, especially compared to the original. The tone changed from what could almost be considered a horror film to a cheeseball Hollywood blockbuster. And that
thumbs up at the end
damn near ruined the movie altogether. T-1000 and kick ass Sarah Connor are really the only saving graces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom