• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Trademarks "Sleeping Dogs" (True Crime)

DaBuddaDa

there is another recent trademark btw by Square Enix Ltd (aka Eidos) 'Sleeping Dogs'. This I'm guessing could be a subtitle for a Kane & lynch game. Last one was called 'Dog Days'

Interesting...I thought Dog Days was a critical and commercial failure.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Split bump.

Interesting...I thought Dog Days was a critical and commercial failure.

They intend to make more:

Eurogamer said:
Eurogamer: Is the Kane & Lynch franchise alive and kicking? Do you intend to build on it and continue with more releases?

Ian Livingstone: We haven't made any announcements about Kane & Lynch going forward, but we all know that Kane and Lynch are two amazing characters who have a lot of brand equity. People like those guys, so they're not going to disappear.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-02-videogame-lifer-interview?page=3

Yamibito

I weirdly liked the Kane and Lynch games, great characters in pretty mediocre games with unique presentation- now please give us one that plays great too.

LQX

Good to see they are sticking with K&L. I still think part 2 got some needless flack. I thought it was great, especially on PC and I actually liked the style they used. Great ending also.

Tantalus

Neo Member
I didn't love what I played of the first two games, but I wouldn't be opposed to another Kane and Lynch either.

Who knows, maybe third time's the charm?

Darklord

Banned
Kane & Lynch seemed so cool when they first announced it. Playing as a bad guy team seemed really cool. Can't believe they screwed it so badly. You can buy Dog Days for like 99 cents in some places.

However...it was the unintentional creator of my favorite gaming website.

Really surprised by this. The IO guys I talked to implied heavily that they were done with Kane & Lynch, and everything was put towards Hitman Absolution and the new IP now.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Sign me up for another Kane and Lynch. I loved the second game, even if it was short and had some flaws, the game had a great direction and original touch to it and hope they will fix the issues and make it longer for the next chapter.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I got the second game during a Steam sale, but I haven't played it yet. Do I really need to play the first game, or can I just read up a summary and kick off with the (apparently better) sequel?

I got the second game during a Steam sale, but I haven't played it yet. Do I really need to play the first game, or can I just read up a summary and kick off with the (apparently better) sequel?

The latte. There's arent any big hooks to the first game.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I liked K&L 1, and thought K&L2 was a lot of fun.

Come at me.

Anteater

I thought the kane & lynch games sold really well, I remember the first game sold over a million, I thought the demo was poo poo, the hit detection wasn't even right :lol

fushi

I wanted to like Dog Days, but man... it was short, poorly plotted and the ending was (dog)shit. And the controls felt wonky. And... yeah.

But the visuals were spot-on. Voicework too.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Would be interesting IMO to play as a new character, against Kane and Lynch. See them from the opposite perspective, always pursuing them.

Fezan

Liked K&L:dog days...
visual style was great but shooting felt bad.Also loved the story of the game.simple yet effective
just wished it was a little longer

ArjanN

Liked K&L:dog days...
visual style was great but shooting felt bad.Also loved the story of the game.simple yet effective
just wished it was a little longer

Pretty much. It could have really used a couple more levels with some more story setpieces.

Keen for more hijinx with this generations most interesting and broken duo. You can keep your tired heroes of the week and the cliches. More Kane and Lynch!

SeanNoonan

The multiplayer component would have been awesome had it been a standalone downloadable game with a bit more polish and a little more attention to balance.

I feel the last game was really rough in the gameplay department, but really nailed the visuals - I'd like to see a lot more focus fixing the shooting, the cover and any related mechanics (movement felt particularly weird in the second game) and leave the visuals as is.

Anyone else feel the lack of grenades in K&L2 screwed with the pacing?

derFeef

Speak for yourself

I fucking loved Dog Days

Tell me about it, adrenalin pure. I still have my PC version unfinished becuase I have a bug where I can't shoot from cover. But since my Steam disk got cleared I need to re-install and test it again.

The multiplayer component would have been awesome had it been a standalone downloadable game with a bit more polish and a little more attention to balance.

That's actually a great idea.

I get the point that they wanted a gritty game characters and world with Kane and Lynch but the execution is just sloppy, and they're badly written characters in a badly written world.

SmokyDave

I enjoyed K&L and really enjoyed K&L2, so I hope this is the third.

Seriously, K&L2 was a pretty damned cool game. It's short and repetitive, sure, but it's still cool as fuck.

KL1 was hampered by technical issues, but on a narrative/character aspect, it was pretty ambitious, and I enjoyed it. KL2 had a super cool style, brought back the interesting characters, and told a cool crime story, along with that, tightened up the gameplay, but it was just so damn short. At least IO seems to be learning. If this is KL3, I'm in. Still a lot of potential to be mined with these two bastards.

I loved the visual style of the 2nd game, but the repetitive gameplay out wore it's welcome too quick.
The 1st was just a mess, when it turned into a squad based military shooter I just couldn't believe it.

I finished Dog Days on the hardest difficulty. Rage-inducing but I loved the style and grittyness so much.

Not sure if it's true but the game felt like 60 fps. So smooth. If they can keep that and spice up the gameplay a bit I'm in. Story was not interesting but everything looked cool.

kuYuri

I finished Dog Days on the hardest difficulty. Rage-inducing but I loved the style and grittyness so much.

Not sure if it's true but the game felt like 60 fps. So smooth. If they can keep that and spice up the gameplay a bit I'm in. Story was not interesting but everything looked cool.

It's definitely 60fps on console.

https://twitter.com/fs_gamer
@FS_Gamer at #Playstation Destination - #squareenix reveals #sleepingdogs August 2012. PS3, X360, PC. Pre-Order Soon. pic.twitter.com/7PFO9SHl
AlHBhuECEAA3NbH.jpg

I think it's True Crime Hong Kong

I hope this turns out well if it is True Crime. They had some real interesting ideas, and a lot of talent working on this game last time I saw it.

As for Kane and Lynch, I'd love to see that series continue with the gritty, handheld, overexposed, Youtube style aesthetic but with some really tight gameplay behind it. There's a really special experience waiting to happen with that style of game, they just didn't quite hit the mark.

Top Bottom