• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Final ATR at TGS 2017 [UP] Story updates continue into 2018

Final Fantasy XV threads always move quickly when people are upset. It's kind of mystifying but cool to be honest.

Oh well. I'm excited for more content! Especially Ardyn and Luna.

To be fair I'm both upset and happy. I'm happy because I spent 10 years following the damn game and SE seem to care to at least complete it or get there. I doubt they add the old promised plans like a 2nd open world but we'll see. Story content starting with Luna and Gentiana is a great start but it better be substantial stuff. But yeah... I'm also angry about the half shell game I bought because it's a joke to announce that there's problems after they get their money. Lol.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I wonder if XVII will be another online only title.

Holy crap one day we're going to have a XVII!

Possibly, My hope is that Square is getting their development together, are working on XVI and it will release sooner than we think.

I don't see the next MMO releasing until 2021 at the earliest, which would be the same time between XI and the original XIV (if you start the new time frame at AAR's release).

But I think XIV: AAR is going to last a bit longer than XI did.

Ehh they're ok.

Huh? Ignoring the fact that XIV is far more than "okay," this isn't about our opinions on the games themselves.

To be fair I'm both upset and happy. I'm happy because I spent 10 years following the damn game and SE seem to care to at least complete it or get there. I doubt they add the old promised plans like a 2nd open world but we'll see. Story content starting with Luna and Gentiana is a great start but it better be substantial stuff. But yeah... I'm also angry about the half shell game I bought because it's a joke to announce that there's problems after they get their money. Lol.
I'd say blame Square Enix who pushed for the release date and only relented to November at most due to Tabata pleading for it, but I don't think it's the correct answer here. Or ever.

Possibly, My hope is that Square is getting their development together, are working on XVI and it will release sooner than we think.

I don't see the next MMO releasing until 2021 at the earliest, which would be the same time between XI and the original XIV (if you start the new time frame at AAR's release).

Huh? Ignoring the fact that XIV is far more than "okay," this isn't about our opinions on the games themselves.

XIV is in such a good place it would be really stupid to try and replace it this early. It's got a good 3 or 4 expansions in it left.

benzy

About missing content, I stumbled on this today by hasard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym2eaq_Fevg
Very disappointed. I wish they included the Duscae content or at least made Duscae available to download for everyone.
I wonder what happened to the main game vision that changed the final build so much.

I believe Episode Duscae was basically just a prototype to gather feedback, I don't think those cutscenes were finalized. Just random stuff they made to make it feel like an actual game with story progression. They basically reworked the whole meeting Cindy scene to the beginning of the game. Combat design was obviously in the very early stages too.

ZeoVGM

Banned
XIV is in such a good place it would be really stupid to try and replace it this early. It's got a good 3 or 4 expansions in it left.

Agreed. ARR gave it a base that can last quite a while longer. I feel like by this point in XI's history, people were already getting a bit itchy.

I don't mind that at all! I may not play XIV but that's only because I can't afford to pay monthly. But it's still a darn good game!

I definitely see it exceeding XV's life span. Maybe even XVI's as well.

But hopefully when the next MMO hits it's more ARR and not OG XIV.

Runner67

I think most people need to understand that either SE needed to release the game with what it had or be forced to lose tons of money by cancelling it. The game was in development hell for too long. We got a decent game out of it with a half told story.

I'm extremely happy that they are going to be updating the games story for the foreseeable future. I'm even happier that its going to be their main focus too.

According to the ATR, Tabata and team were literally just given approval after Gamescom to update the story, which is why we see screenshots of new story segments and not actual scenes themselves. Apparently these will be the beginning of a slew of new story segments to be put in the game in the future.

sources: http://gematsu.com/2017/09/final-fantasy-xv-development-continue-2018
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/75804472/887118055

According to the gematsu article, it seems that new environments/areas may come with these new scenes, but I'm not entirely sure.

Laplasakos

According to the ATR, Tabata and team were literally just given approval after Gamescom to update the story, which is why we see screenshots of new story segments and not actual scenes themselves. Apparently these will be the beginning of a slew of new story segments to be put in the game in the future.

According to the gematsu article, it seems that new environments/areas may come with these new scenes, but I'm not entirely sure.

Great. Hope playable Insomnia (before destruction) is one of the new areas.

theofficefan99

I think most people need to understand that either SE needed to release the game with what it had or be forced to lose tons of money by cancelling it. The game was in development hell for too long. We got a decent game out of it with a half told story.

I'm extremely happy that they are going to be updating the games story for the foreseeable future. I'm even happier that its going to be their main focus too.

I want to see
Gentiana
In a CG cutscene
Please
And all the Astrals in general
And non-KG hair-tied-up Luna thanks

But I know I won't get more CG :(

Ugh

I think people feeling disappointed as FFXV being 'incomplete' are the one who didn't enjoy the original experience.

I was thoroughly satisfied with what I played when the game launched so seeing all this announcement is like hearing about a 'director's cut' of the game or kind of like Final Mix for Kingdom Hearts.

I remember back then how the International Edition of FFXV added more content, or how the Final Mix version had cool boss fights. I always wanted those and with XV, it feels like that except the additional content is free and I can spend more time with the DLC including Comrades and the upcoming DLC episode.

There are still people who are somehow under the illusion that Tabata and team will magically patch the story and make it better. This won't happen at all. If you weren't satisfied with the original content, the additional updates and content won't make you happy short of completely revamping the main game, and this last part won't happen ever. So at this point, it is best to move on to the next game so that you don't feel disappointed by each new announcement.

I think people feeling disappointed as FFXV being 'incomplete' are the one who didn't enjoy the original experience.

I was thoroughly satisfied with what I played when the game launched so seeing all this announcement is like hearing about a 'director's cut' of the game or kind of like Final Mix for Kingdom Hearts.

I remember back then how the International Edition of FFXV added more content, or how the Final Mix version had cool boss fights. I always wanted those and with XV, it feels like that except the additional content is free and I can spend more time with the DLC including Comrades and the upcoming DLC episode.

There are still people who are somehow under the illusion that Tabata and team will magically patch the story and make it better. This won't happen at all. If you weren't satisfied with the original content, the additional updates and content won't make you happy short of completely revamping the main game, and this last part won't happen ever. So at this point, it is best to move on to the next game so that you don't feel disappointed by each new announcement.

Probably in some cases, however for me I'm a massive fan of final fantasy but in general don't like or have time to play games through twice. Adding all this extra story content, if inserted in the main game, is annoying as I won't want to miss out but also don't want to play the whole game again. I would have rather had the complete game first time through.

sibarraz

Banned
Based on the active time report..... I'm not entirely sure why they released the game so incomplete. I' happy for another year of content but I'm still mad I spent money on an incomplete game.

They fucked the development of the game and needed to release something quick to recover the development costs. More months of development could have been fatal.

When will this update release? I could play the game a second time but I want to do it when the full experience is avaliable

Koozek

They fucked the development of the game and needed to release something quick to recover the development costs. More months of development could have been fatal.

When will this update release? I could play the game a second time but I want to do it when the full experience is avaliable
According to that GameFAQs at least a few new cutscenes that were teased in the Universe TGS trailer will come with the next update later this month, but the rest early next year or something? Not sure if the translation is 100% right. Guess we gotta wait for an official translation or tweet.

Windam

Scaley member
Wonder if online characters will say things like "Sharp erryday" and "Cake, baby". (I didn't play the beta.)

Koozek

Wonder if online characters will say things like "Sharp erryday" and "Cake, baby". (I didn't play the beta.)
There were some pre-determined phrases you could choose from a quick-menu in the beta (e.g. "Good job!", "Let's go!", "I need help!" etc.).

Koozek

Can't wait for Final Fantasy XV-2: A Stitch in Time
You know, I'm actually still torn about whether I just would've liked a prequel/sequel with two years of dev time, completely overhauled combat (see FFX-2 and LR which had the best combat in the series, imo), all essential feedback incorporated, and a new, coherent and consistenly told story that doesn't mess with or retcon the original instead of this approach of adding stuff later on that will likely make the game feel even more disjointed and won't be enough to fix the fundamental narrative flaws. Who knows though, maybe they'll somehow manage to do it well.

If it's true that the majority of the new scenes will come early next year, I guess they'll try to make it on time for the PC version, which could then actually be marketed as the "Definitive Edition/Director's Cut".

kromeo

Might sound petty but I'd be a lot more willing to give the game another try if they'd let me change 3 of the main character's haircuts.. I'd genuinely pay to get rid of that thing on Noctis' head

I beat the game last Christmas. I put over a hundred hours into it. I have been playing it as they update it. But I’ll never sell it. I’m gonna go back next year and start it from the beginning with all the updates

I love how they’re supporting this game :)

People please stop complaining, be happy yo.

https://twitter.com/Kume856/with_replies

1. Online Comrades new info
2. FFXV Universe related info
3. Way ahead

Comrades:
Closed test was held in August, and system and balance and all were checked.
Scenes be shown today will be almost master version.
Multi play quest
Single play quest
Plenty of quest are ready. You can get gil, items and all
Multiplay allows you to go with AI friends
You can customize weapons.
Refugees in Lucis. You can set them as a leader of a town
You can choose one of former kings and order him/her something, it seems.
Roles like healer and all.
Skills. Jump, Airstep, provoking agression, and defense
You can cheer on (enhance) buddies.
Provoking aggression comes in handy. Buddies can focus on attacking, not defensing

The only post I care about in this thread

Thank you for actually Posting something beneficial in this thread

Haters go somewhere else.

Asd202

I thought about buying season pass when Ignis DLC releases but I may wait for the story updates to get the whole thing.

jrush64

Banned
How they dare to support the game with new content.

OR they could have just finished the game the first time like they used to.

Anyway, I will probably play the updates or whatever story content they release. Maybe I can finally enjoy the story.

Koozek

nvm

Might sound petty but I'd be a lot more willing to give the game another try if they'd let me change 3 of the main character's haircuts.. I'd genuinely pay to get rid of that thing on Noctis' head
Can't blame you, lol. Young Noctis looks so silly; they should've made him look more similar to the superior Old Noctis design, just a bit younger face-wise so there's still a visible difference between the two.

Ferr986

They don't deserve a big pat on the back for finishing something they sold as incomplete. It's not that complicated.

And they didn't gave a pat on the back, game got it's fair of shit for that when it got released , but atleast they're doing the right thing now. Better late than never (not that I care about new story content, it's not like they can change much of what it was).

OR they could have just finished the game the first time like they used to.

Anyway, I will probably play the updates or whatever story content they release. Maybe I can finally enjoy the story.

The point is that they didn't, and atleast they working to solve that. Lots of devs would ignore that and go on with their new project.

Koozek

The point is that most of the content they patched in after the game's release should have been part of the base game when it first came out.
They don't deserve a big pat on the back for finishing something they sold as incomplete. It's not that complicated.
Fair enough, but the reality is they couldn't first time around, so now that they can do something about it, should they not? If they actually manage to improve the story substantially enough future ports/remasters will profit from it and at least new players will get a better game (and fans who want to replay it someday).

Risev1

Man I'm really not sure if getting extra content after episode Ignis is good or not. I mean, we already know how the game ends. We know the fate of all the characters they're giving us extra content for. So it really diminishes the effects of whatever more backstory they're adding to these characters.

I'm just not sure if any of this is worth it in the long run. Sure FFXV's story was heavily criticized, but almost everyone agrees that the ending was good, if not great. The game managed to remove most of the bad taste in our mouths by the end of chapter 14, so was it really necessary to go back to what we've mostly forgotten about and maybe even forgiven for the purpose of improvement?

Unrelated question: If you play through the main story of FFXV right now and reach chapter 13, will the original chapter 13 play out, or Verse 2?

Toth

Fascinating. I guess the buzz the PC version got was strong enough to convince them. It's so cool to see a Final Mix version being developed with players.

sibarraz

Banned
I will welcome more scenes that could explain better the story like ravus involvment or how the imperium felt down.

Also more Iris Demon Slayer

Koozek

Man I'm really not sure if getting extra content after episode Ignis is good or not. I mean, we already know how the game ends. We know the fate of all the characters they're giving us extra content for. So it really diminishes the effects of whatever more backstory they're adding to these characters.

I'm just not sure if any of this is worth it in the long run. Sure FFXV's story was heavily criticized, but almost everyone agrees that the ending was good, if not great. The game managed to remove most of the bad taste in our mouths by the end of chapter 14, so was it really necessary to go back to what we've mostly forgotten about and maybe even forgiven for the purpose of improvement?

Unrelated question: If you play through the main story of FFXV right now and reach chapter 13, will the original chapter 13 play out, or Verse 2?
There's a prompt at some point asking if you want to play as Gladio now (if you decline, you can still switch at save rooms) and if you do and finish his section, when you switch back to Noct it basically skips over the most-hated part of his route and puts you at a later point in the chapter.

True Fire

Tabata, if you're reading, please add Ifrit and Bahamut as summons in NG+. And more NieR Automata music. It would be great if you let us replace battle music with music from the music player.

Koozek

Tabata, if you're reading, please add Ifrit and Bahamut as summons in NG+. And more NieR Automata music. It would be great if you let us replace battle music with music from the music player.
Wait, you mean choosing another battle theme from the available player songs or that the music player plays throughout battles too? I'd definitely like an option for the latter.

But, wat, why would
Ifrit
be a summon? Wouldn't make sense story-wise, lol.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Based on the active time report..... I'm not entirely sure why they released the game so incomplete. I' happy for another year of content but I'm still mad I spent money on an incomplete game.

Cause they can and 5 million will part with their money for it and still excuse everything about it. It's hilarious how the narrative to some is look how generous they are supporting this game that much!!

Wow. truly everyone take note and imitate what 15 does and did.

patchday

Final Fantasy XV threads always move quickly when people are upset. It's kind of mystifying but cool to be honest.

Oh well. I'm excited for more content! Especially Ardyn and Luna.

yeah I wonder where they will go with Luna??
Considering she's dead

Cause they can and 5 million will part with their money for it and still excuse everything about it. It's hilarious how the narrative to some is look how generous they are supporting this game that much!!

Wow. truly everyone take note and imitate what 15 does and did.

It was okay. I just question some of their decisions in the story (like Luna)

Ahasverus

And I thought it was safe playing the game now. Guess I'll trade it in and buy it again, one year from now.

Maybe they'll fix the Pro mode by then.

Ha.

Top Bottom