• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
your argument only makes (the tiniest amount of) sense if everyone in the world was only interested in movies, tv shows and books in the most superficial way possible, only caring about the handful of big budget, over-hyped and over-marketed releases every year. or, taking it one step further, did movies and books not exist before you were born? or are those all fair game? or, wait, let me quote you again here:

right, so, if there were a century worth of cinema to be interested in and movies did exist before you were born, you'd "have found the time" to watch - let's be conservative here - 1000 movies before, what, the age of 3? or let's be reasonable and extend it to the age of 18? and then let's throw books into the mix... thousands of years of writing: fair game! or alternatively: if you "cared" enough you'd have read all of them before anyone had "the chance to spoil them for you"! LOL!

I don't really see the need to be so combative. I've been fairly respectful and honest in my replies.

Anyway, to answer your points, and obviously I can only speak for myself: yeah, I basically agree with the joking way you have extrapolated my logic. However, your argument rests on the idea that I'm interested in all things ever. I am not. I have a range of things I keep a general interest in, specific kinds of Science-Fiction let's say. I honestly doubt there is much out there that I actively know about, am considering consuming, am genuinely interested in, and is many years old, yet I haven't somehow found the time to watch/read. I'm being sincere here. You're not going to catch me in a situation where I'll go, "but, but, I was going to watch that 20 year old movie at some time in the future maybe - how dare you talk casually about it!"

I waste too much of my time to actually hold a "all things are spoilers" position. Every Sunday I choose to watch a terrible episode of the Simpsons instead of catching up on Silent Running, a movie you can spoil for me if you'd like. I've been meaning to see it, but honestly, I am probably never going to get around to it. I've had countless opportunities to watch it now and have consistently chosen not to.

Lijik

Take the movie Sixth Sense, for example. That movie is far less enjoyable the first time you see it if you know the ending. It's a great moment.

Now that is a pretty old movie by now, and maybe most people "should have seen it" already, but I'll bet there are plenty of people who haven't, so why would I want to spoil the ending?

Yeah I have to agree. Its rare to find someone who has no idea what the twist to that movie is, it almost feels like every one knows it by osmosis at this point (like Darth Vader being Luke's father). If someone somehow didn't, I personally wouldn't want to ruin it for them.

How much of the Battlestar Galactica hinges on that twist? I havent seen the series yet.

sn00zer

BACK ON TOPIC PEOPLE
btw does anyone know if Soul Caliber 5 has any connections to Tekken 6? Havent played either, but one of the stages in Soul Caliber 2 was used in Tekken 5 only hundreds of years later

They've been around for years and years, though.

I don't think there's anything new in SCV but I don't play Tekken.
Well, Yoshimitsu was a Tekken character first. In SoulCalibur, Yoshimitsu is explained to actually be the descendant of the Yoshimitsu from Tekken.

Erigu

I don't think there's anything new in SCV but I don't play Tekken.
That thing about Mitsurugi's self-proclaimed 8th brother sounds fishy. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried linking that guy to the Mishima.

Well, Yoshimitsu was a Tekken character first. In SoulCalibur, Yoshimitsu is explained to actually be the descendant of the Yoshimitsu from Tekken.
The Yoshimitsu from Soulcalibur to Soulcalibur IV is the first Yoshimitsu, the one in Soulcalibur V is the second Yoshimitsu, and the one in the Tekken games is the ???th Yoshimitsu (supposing it's the same one throughout the entire series, anyway).
And it doesn't look like they're (necessarily?) related.

Roto13

That thing about Mitsurugi's self-proclaimed 8th brother sounds fishy. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried linking that guy to the Mishima.

The Yoshimitsu from Soulcalibur to Soulcalibur IV is the first Yoshimitsu, the one in Soulcalibur V is the second Yoshimitsu, and the one in the Tekken games is the ???th Yoshimitsu (supposing it's the same one throughout the entire series, anyway).
And it doesn't look like they're (necessarily?) related.

"Yoshimitsu" is just the title of the leader of the Manjitou, whoever that is at the time.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
BACK ON TOPIC PEOPLE
btw does anyone know if Soul Caliber 5 has any connections to Tekken 6? Havent played either, but one of the stages in Soul Caliber 2 was used in Tekken 5 only hundreds of years later

Which stage is this? I haven't played in a while and always love connections like that.

As for Tekken and SCV, I think there is Tekken fighting style in the CAS mode.

Tekken and SC universe are one and the same, just different time periods...

Also Ehrgeiz is in the same universe as well. Ken "Godhand" Mishima is proof (development history is interesting on this one)

787_1.png

also, Urban Reign is considered the same universe as well... and it's a damn awesome game.

3992520050520_170249_12_big.jpg

Link1110

Something I realized;

In the Sonic universe, the military is called GUN. That's named after a weapon, right? Wrong. It's not the English word gun, it's the Japanese word 軍 (pronounced like "goon" but with a shorter vowel) that means "military."

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I've heard that as well, although it's technically an acronym, G.U.N, meaning Guardian Units of Nations. :/

Roto13

It's probably an acronym meant to sound like the word for "military." Like all of those Marvel acronyms. :p S.H.I.E.L.D., S.W.O.R.D., H.A.M.M.E.R. which they never even bothered to explain. :p

It's probably an acronym meant to sound like the word for "military." Like all of those Marvel acronyms. :p S.H.I.E.L.D., S.W.O.R.D., H.A.M.M.E.R. which they never even bothered to explain. :p
S.H.I.E.L.D. and S.W.O.R.D. stand for something. I think S.H.I.E.L.D. changed a few times over the years and even means something totally new in the recent movies but it's something with Secret, Intelligence, Espionage, Defense... somethin

H.A.M.M.E.R., on the other hand, is left intentionally vague, I don't think I ever heard what that stands for.

Roto13

Yeah, SWORD and SHIELD are proper acronyms. They never bothered to explain what HAMMER stands for. They just gave up trying to shoehorn a meaning into a cool acronym. :p

Platy

also, Urban Reign is considered the same universe as well... and it's a damn awesome game.

And you can unlock
Paul and Law
... besides the fact that there are lots of fighters that take direct animations from the tekken franchise. The most obvious being the capoeira fighting style

And yes, saddly underrated game

Bulbapedia has interesting trivia on each Pokemon that people who enjoy the games might get a kick out of. They aren't mind blowing by any means but still fun to kill time reading. Things like Clefairy was supposed to be Ash's starter in the anime, Golem being the only Pokemon not seen in generation 1, and the many references to the Pokemon world to our world, etc.

Jasoco

Banned
S.H.I.E.L.D. and S.W.O.R.D. stand for something. I think S.H.I.E.L.D. changed a few times over the years and even means something totally new in the recent movies but it's something with Secret, Intelligence, Espionage, Defense... somethin

H.A.M.M.E.R., on the other hand, is left intentionally vague, I don't think I ever heard what that stands for.
The H.A.M.M.E.R. is my penis.

Watch Da Birdie

Things like Clefairy was supposed to be Ash's starter in the anime

Yeah, apparently Clefairy was originally going to be the franchise mascot. However, the mention of it being a "last minute change" in the Anime's pilot episode seems a bit false. Considering how it takes awhile to produce an episode, I doubt they suddenly at the last minute substituted Clefairy with Pikachu.

That's why in the original Pokemon manga, Kosaku Anakubo's Pocket Monsters (which is the longest running manga, even beating out Special) Red has that creepy Clefairy as his main Pokemon.

O7vSs.png

On a simillar note, the reason that Red in Pokemon Special has Poliwhirl as his starter is because it's Satoshi Tajirii's favorite Pokemon.

Imm0rt4l

Tekken and SC universe are one and the same, just different time periods...

Also Ehrgeiz is in the same universe as well. Ken "Godhand" Mishima is proof (development history is interesting on this one)

787_1.png

Ehrgeiz isn't the same universe, its not canon. I'm pretty sure that namco doesn't even own the rights to the character godhand mishima. That should be dreamfactory if I'm not mistaken.

I always used to think Ghirahim was a reference to A Link to the Past's Agahnim.

They're both bluish greyish with similar color schemes on their clothes, both have magic, and
are both used by the main villain as a puppet or a resurrection of some sort at the end of the game.

And also the name appears to be an anagram as well.

Agahnim.png

250px-Ghirahim_Artwork.png

iirate

Sounds about right. A year at the most is what I'd say.

I would also say to stop being so psycho about spoilers.

Are those tags *really* so hard to type out that it is worth potentially ruining others' experiences? You hurt no one by using them, and they will do good for others. What is the problem?

You're right; I wish people would stop being so psycho about these things.

bjork

Shocking secret: this thread isn't about the forum rules for spoilers.

I like Johto version of Arbok the best, but I'll admit I had no idea they were different by region.

NeoRausch

http://media-cdn0.pinterest.com/upload/162551867770428572_cB0Wu9oh_f.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

whoa! REALLY?!?! *looks at thread title*

EDIT:

DAMMIT! i feel like a monkey is laughing at me!

EDIT2:

Also works with mario kart 7!

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MXx5v.jpg

also cloud bushes and also already posted :p

TheOGB

Banned
Yeah, apparently Clefairy was originally going to be the franchise mascot. However, the mention of it being a "last minute change" in the Anime's pilot episode seems a bit false. Considering how it takes awhile to produce an episode, I doubt they suddenly at the last minute substituted Clefairy with Pikachu.

That's why in the original Pokemon manga, Kosaku Anakubo's Pocket Monsters (which is the longest running manga, even beating out Special) Red has that creepy Clefairy as his main Pokemon.

O7vSs.png

On a simillar note, the reason that Red in Pokemon Special has Poliwhirl as his starter is because it's Satoshi Tajirii's favorite Pokemon.
Interesting tidbit

And fuck that Clefairy is terrifying

sn00zer

Do not make listing old/obvious facts as a joke a new trend in this thread, its the Korean comic in the funny pics thread all over again

iirate

Do not make listing old/obvious facts as a joke a new trend in this thread, its the Korean comic in the funny pics thread all over again

Wait what? If we're thinking of the same Korean comic, it's fucking hilarious.

I do agree that the old fact thing is annoying.

Watch Da Birdie

Interesting tidbit

And fuck that Clefairy is terrifying

It's actually really popular in Japan, too, even more so than Special.

It's virtually unknown outside of Japan, though, since it was never released in the West (probably because it's more of a crude, gag manga with Japanese humor), although it had a cameo in an anime Hoenn episode (Lights, Camerupt, Action, a whole episode dedicated to parodying films), which is probably how most Western fans know about it.

Top Bottom