• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

Godslay said:
I have two old 360's, will I be able to trade both of these in and "stack" the trade value? Additionally, will they let me open the box and trade the composite back for my vga cable? Assuming that the cable port hasn't been changed.

GS only take composite cables with their used systems so I doubt it would be a problem for them to let you give them the new composite cables and let you keep your VGA cables.

Annihilator said:
If it can't read games they will charge a refurb fee and will still most likely take it. The fee is like $40 or something so once again call the local gamestop and ask to make sure before driving there and finding out.

Then you aren't checking the right forums. CAG forums is where I got the info.
From CAG (the "right" forum as you say), which I was checking
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264690&page=7

I wouldn't suggest trying to trade in multiple 360's, I just did and the bonus only applies to one, you only get ~$60 for the second.

This was the case at my store as well.

Nif

Snowballo said:
X360 Slim owners:

Could you tell me if there is a big difference comparing the noise of a X360 Fat with a installed game runnnig and the same on X360 Slim?

I don't care about the disc spinning. I'm not going to play a single game in my life without installing it.

Thanks.

It's not completely silent, but there is a definite noise reduction. The noise reduction's pretty significant. I'd say it's probably close to Wii-levels.

Aspiring

Arrggghh WTF playasia!?! My order went from an estimated shipping date of the 17th, to the 21st, to the 25th to the 28th. WTF is going on i want my slim!!!! Might send them an email on Monday to find out exactly whats going on, and if this is true why has it been sitting on preparing order for the last 2 days?

EDIT: Just noticed that i have an email form them just now:

Hi,

this email is regarding your recently placed order

We'd like to inform you that the release date of one or more of your ordered items has been updated. Therefore, the estimated time of shipping for your order may have changed as well.

product name previously listed
release date updated
release date
Xbox 360 250 GB Console - New Model Jun 21, 2010 Jun 25, 2010

Updated estimated shipping date*: Jun 28, 2010

Bugger. Still if they are getting it on the 25th why is my shipping date the 28th? Will email them to find out. This sucks, i want this thing so bad. My current 360 i think is breaking. It has been fixed once but its starting to freeze a lot.

FrankT

dolemite said:
I just noticed that the old FFXIII bundle is $299 on Amazon. MSFT is really pushing the oldies out of the warehouse.

It looks as if they have already cleared their entire Spring Arcade Bundle allocation. It may not be long before we see the Arcade version. August I'm thinking.

Godslay

Banned
Thanks GitarooMan, Annilhilator, and CrazyPanda.

I was mainly wondering because I wasn't sure if I was getting the run around from my local Gamestop. They said I couldn't stack the multiple 360's due to the fact that the 100 trade-in is specific to the first Xbox and is an inflated trade-in value. So for each additional trade-in you will only get the base value.

In regards to trading the VGA cable and composite cable, my specific store told me that they could not do this because they need the cables at the time of trade-in. I told the guy on the phone that I will never use the composite cable, due to the fact that I either play on a monitor or HDMI tv. He said they need the VGA cables for trade-in. I said to take the old 360 as trade-in, let me open the new one, hand me the VGA cable, and I would hand him the composite and we would be all set. He insisted that he needed the VGA cable, and I asked him if he understood the difference. He repeated his original statement of needing the VGA cables. At this point I was getting irritated so I just told him that we could figure it out when they get the next shipment. I wasn't quite sure if he was an idiot, or wanted the VGA cables for himself.

To answer the question of just giving the original cables, I gave them to a friend since his set got destroyed.

Beer Monkey said:
If you have multiple consoles to trade, have them trade the additional ones on separate, previous transactions so you can get $60+$25=$85 instead of just $60. Then trade the final system in on the Slim purchase so you can get $100 for that one.
Yeah, that's definitely a good idea.

Since trade-in values are next highest offer after ebay/craigslist, I decided to trade-in my out of warranty once RRODed 360 and other accessories. It was my first trade-in ever at GameStop and ended up being very frustrating experience.

First guy I talked to didn't know anything about this deal. Refused to look around. Keep saying I wouldn't get anything more than what was shown in computer which was much lesser than advertised values. Luckily other girl working there tried to figure out what was the problem. She tried couple of times. Didn't work. Then finally she called her manager and manager told her to look around for one email printout with some handwritten code to enter in computer. All of this took more than an hour. Store hadn't received its shipment. Will get it in a day or two.

One funny thing. While I was there, GameStop guy was telling one mom about 10 secs sexual content in one game (couldn't see which game was that) and heavy violence. And that mom said "Thank you very much. I didn't know about that sexual content. Thanks for telling me that. I'm okay with violence. Don't care about that." I was like WTF.

Kolgar

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Ive been on the 360 fence for a long time and was hoping that these new slims would push me over. These reports of irritating noises is disappointing. Gonna wait and see how this plays out.

I own one of those annoyingly loud PS3 slims, and I just brought home a 360 slim yesterday. My new 360 is quieter, no comparison.

kaskade

Snowballo said:
X360 Slim owners:

Could you tell me if there is a big difference comparing the noise of a X360 Fat with a installed game runnnig and the same on X360 Slim?

I don't care about the disc spinning. I'm not going to play a single game in my life without installing it.

Thanks.
Yes, when a disc is not running it is very quiet. Even with the disc though It's not bad at all. With a 250 gb drive I don't see why someone wouldn't install.

Snowballo

Nif said:
It's not completely silent, but there is a definite noise reduction. The noise reduction's pretty significant. I'd say it's probably close to Wii-levels.

Thanks Nif.
So, would you suggest me to "swap" the 360 with 360 Slim just to play installed games? I mean the difference is good enough to justify the price'

Thanks!

Snowballo

kaskade said:
Yes, when a disc is not running it is very quiet. Even with the disc though It's not bad at all. With a 250 gb drive I don't see why someone wouldn't install.

Thanks Kaskade,
you're right. No reason not to install since I got the 120GB (better, since they gave us the opportunity).

So, doest it worth the its price (X360 Slim) just for this?
Thanks.

Eternia

Jtyettis said:
It looks as if they have already cleared their entire Spring Arcade Bundle allocation. It may not be long before we see the Arcade version. August I'm thinking.
Didn't a Microsoft rep say the new Arcade could come at the end of summer? August would sound about right then.

kaskade

Snowballo said:
Thanks Kaskade,
you're right. No reason not to install since I got the 120GB (better, since they gave us the opportunity).

So, doest it worth the its price (X360 Slim) just for this?
Thanks.
Well I'm a sucker for new shiny things so it was worth it to me. I had the old hdmi-less, 20 gb model. For me it was a no brainer. Having all the space is so liberating for me. It's also kinect ready so there's no need for an extra power adapter for that. I'd say if you have the money, go for it. Gamestop is having the trade in deal so you can get some cash for the upgrade if you want to part ways with your old system.

FrankT

Eternia said:
Didn't a Microsoft rep say the new Arcade could come at the end of summer? August would sound about right then.

Yea, they did at least confirm another one would be coming. It will likely take stores a month or so to clear out all the stock so perfect timing right around Madden then Reach.

Kolgar said:
I own one of those annoyingly loud PS3 slims, and I just brought home a 360 slim yesterday. My new 360 is quieter, no comparison.

Certainly the best 360 I've owned as far as noise level.

th3dude

Gamestop is now allowing the new 360 to be reserved. The manager let me reserve one for $50 down and said I could do my trade when I pick up and pay the difference. They said they expect more early next week.

Dragon

Banned
Kolgar said:

Well the noise level definitely rises in PS3's, I have a launch unit and it wasn't noticeable until recently. I'd take a wait and see approach although perhaps my roommate will finally replace his 360 that he has to turn on get an E79 error, wait five minutes till it warms up, turn it off, have it give a red ring, turn it off and then turn it on and have it work. Been like that for six months!

New family photo of my newest member to the gaming family in my house.

gamefamily2.jpg

edit: updated the photo to include the children.

The slim is extremely quiet. Its not perfectly silent and it may make an audible noise slightly louder than its whisper claim when powered on, but anyone disappointed by a random report or still concerned about noise and thus holding off is seriously making an issue out of nothing. You could always return defective ones.

see5harp

Snowballo said:
X360 Slim owners:

Thanks.

It's incredibly silent after an install. The new system is more quiet running a game from the hard drive than the old systems were idling.

botkiller

Just got back from Gamestop after trading up my launch unit:

20100619-pi9aif9er7fa4cp2946jg43nte.jpg

20100619-8funrkac2g9ajm2de4k3acbtkj.jpg

20100619-f9mksss42srwypfrw82iym29qc.jpg

I like the "ding" noise when you hit the touchpad to open/close the tray. Old news now, but this thing is very quiet and light. The only thing I don't like is that the glossy finish makes me feel like I have OCD.

botkiller said:
Just got back from Gamestop after trading up my launch unit:

http://img.skitch.com/20100619-pi9aif9er7fa4cp2946jg43nte.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://img.skitch.com/20100619-8funrkac2g9ajm2de4k3acbtkj.jpg

http://img.skitch.com/20100619-f9mksss42srwypfrw82iym29qc.jpg[IMG]

I like the "ding" noise when you hit the touchpad to open/close the tray. Old news now, but this thing is very quiet and light. The only thing I don't like is that the glossy finish makes me feel like I have OCD.[/QUOTE]
Just noticed the silver trim on the ends, first image I have seen where it's quite obvious.

I agree too on the shine, I wish it was matte it works a lot better for consoles.

Lebron

Do the controllers in the GS trade-in offer have to be the official Microsoft ones? I have two, but I also have a couple of GS and Mad catz ones. Just wondering.

FrankT

What the hell he blocked the vents. Smart shit. :lol

At least it's not dead and there is a protection for that.

Edit: Almost no question he was trying to kill that thing I bet or just being really really stupid. Mine is in a similar space as well.

Giant Robot said:
[ IMG]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_bCRQYotoopc/TBxAcNcfA3I/AAAAAAAADI8/t3JYiq61U0E/s640/IMG_2569.JPG[/IMG]

[ IMG]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_bCRQYotoopc/TBxC6owkQXI/AAAAAAAADJo/dkTWfJpfj4o/s640/IMG_2567.JPG[/IMG]

RDOD (Red Dot Of Death)
:lol :lol
Well shit

If that's improperly vented, then I'm screwed

OldJadedGamer said:
Pic of the two black controllers together. I had a black one already as my main controller. All the gray is gone and now it's just straight black.

controllers.jpg
I like the old design with the grey "stripe" but it works better on the white pads then the current black ones, the new design going all black... I wonder why microsoft are more or less removing the white colour from their xbox after the last 5 years?

...saying that I just looked left at one of my 360 white pads and it looks so old :lol kind of refreshing to see it a pure one colour.

*edit* the pure black sticks and dpad also helps the look.

Diablohead said:
Just noticed the silver trim on the ends, first image I have seen where it's quite obvious.

I agree too on the shine, I wish it was matte it works a lot better for consoles.

It's really obvious in real life, in low and bright light. And next to a matte PS3, it's so much nicer. You don't really have to touch the 360 anywhere but the touch buttons, so fingerprints aren't a problem and dust shows a little more but it's like any other black item.

LQX said:
Does the fan(where the vents are) push enough air up to the point dust might not settle in it?

When it's on, it's strong enough that dust wouldn't be able to settle. But off...those are some big gills for dust to fall right into.

theultimo

ShockingAlberto said:
Well shit

If that's improperly vented, then I'm screwed
It looks deliberate FUD by blocking the vents, RROD, and then putting it on the shelf. I am fine with my console and PS3 together running vertically in an enclosed space like that one.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Giant Robot said:
RDOD (Red Dot Of Death)

I was afraid of that. :/

I hate stacking consoles vertically, had the unfortunate luck of having my first 360 get tipped over, and ever since, I've kept 'em horizontal.

Gah.

At least it auto-shuts down now instead of letting the console get super hot.

theultimo said:
It looks deliberate FUD by blocking the vents, RROD, and then putting it on the shelf. I am fine with my console and PS3 together running vertically in an enclosed space like that one.

I have way less ventilation than that for all three of my units and have never had this issue after the system being on all night.

FrankT

expy said:

lol @ ppl saying it's deliberate.

So you really think that thing sitting in that space just did it on it's own. :lol

I mean I guess it could have, but there is way more than enough space there for that to happen.

regs

Just picked up a slim. It is nicer than I expected it to be. Disappointed at the lack of a memory card slot though, I know I am the minority here but I always kept my gamertag on a memory card because it's easier when I go to friends houses.

regs said:
Just picked up a slim. It is nicer than I expected it to be. Disappointed at the lack of a memory card slot though, I know I am the minority here but I always kept my gamertag on a memory card because it's easier when I go to friends houses.

Put it on a USB stick?

theultimo

expy said:

lol @ ppl saying it's deliberate.
I think he had it set up like this, blocking the vent :
pySfc.jpg

Its the first i've heard of somebody killing the machine, maybe he had a faulty system as well, but it really looks like he just had it set up incorrectly.

Does anyone think a new system will be cheaper bundled with Kinect? It's £199 in the UK at the moment, but all I really need is the extra HD space and eventually Kinect, so if I wait for the bundle will it be any cheaper do you think?

theultimo said:
pySfc.jpg

Its the first i've heard of somebody killing the machine, maybe he had a faulty system as well, but it really looks like he just had it set up incorrectly.
I just noticed that dust area too, either where the 360 S was stood near the wall or he had the old 360 there and was just too lazy to dust

*edit* could have been a ps3 standing there too.

Still that's not terrible, but we are talking about a 360 so anything less then a foot of space is wrong :lol

From the little notice on screen doesn't seem like its dead.

Looks like it overheated and the Xbox shut down when it hit a certain temperature. I don't remember my 360 giving messages when it red ringed(just black and the lights flashing)

FrankT

theultimo said:
pySfc.jpg

Woops. But yea he didn't kill it. It's just a system protection when the vents are blocked as it says you can turn it back on on cooldown.

noah111

Still Alive
Wow, these IRL pics make it look so much more like the PS3 fat then I thought. Slick shiny black, silver trimming/lining. Not bad at all respite the ugly shape/edges.

Also, BS on that RDOD. I'll wait until it's not a single unit before throwing arms up.

watership

ExtraKr1spy said:
From the little notice on screen doesn't seem like its dead.

Looks like it overheated and the Xbox shut down when it hit a certain temperature. I don't remember my 360 giving messages when it red ringed(just black and the lights flashing)

That's exactly what I thought. The red dot flashes and the system shuts down due to heat if the vents are blocked.

Top Bottom