• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

So yea, I started playing Schala's GOTY a few hours ago:
BbFESrGIgAAbv_3.jpg

I'm taking Schala and Noi's word for it, but at $10 I finally decided to try it out for myself. It's pretty OK thus far. Right away the game has a few pluses, such as skippable cutscenes and a save anywhere function; Drippy is friggin' awesome, too. The battle system is very... intriguing, to say the least. It tries to blend ARPG-style gameplay with some turn-based mechanics, and while sometimes it works and can be fun, other times it's kinda lackluster. Biggest downsides are Oliver's running speed in the world map (though I fragment reading that there may be a fix for that) and that enemies have the sight of fucking hawks. I mean, seriously, halfway across the map they can see me and automatically rush towards me. Doesn't help that there are too many enemies on the world map, too. Overall still rather positive but I'm waiting for the worst to come.

Also, this:
Soon, it will be SoNicGAF no Kuni! *maniacal laughter*

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So yea, I started playing Schala's GOTY a few hours ago:
You already know I don't like it. But I thought the running joke is that Time and Eternity is now my GOTY? :p

See, it feels fine when you do start up the game, and then it gets repetitive and then you realize the combat is just so disorderly that you wonder if anyone anywhere QA'd it. Then again, you do have people who didn't seem to have a problem with the combat system, so they probably aren't as picky. So you might end up liking it towards the end.

I know you'd mentioned The Guided Fate Paradox, so let me know how that is because I was thinking of picking it up along the line.

I finished up my technical posts of the development of the Unleashed Project over the year in case you like reading. Mostly for wrapping up/helping others.

Here's my favourite picture from the second article:
Wow, this is awesome. I love reading stuff like this. This is why I like reading postmortems and stuff like that. It's very interesting in terms of the stuff that goes into designing even technical aspects.

to be fair

you guys find pleasure in me streaming some bad games for entertainment sometimes :V

TheOGB

Banned

to be fair

you guys find pleasure in me streaming some bad games for entertainment sometimes :V
One could argue that, being a community of Sonic fans, bad games are one of the many things that bring us all together.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And how! Sonic 2006 talk always brings us together. And Jak II talk for... some... reason.

Oh. I guess we have NNID stuff for 3DS, though it's just follows. Well.

PSN/SEN: Dark_Schala
NNID: SchalaAsha (Wii U & 3DS)
Steam ID: SchalaAsha (though I don't use it as much as I should)

I didn't make one for my JP 3DS yet. I'll do that later bc I'd like to post some Bravely Default pics.

TheOGB

Banned
kjmUQcW.png

I am going to enjoy this. Hopefully a future update will give you more canvas to work with. Or maybe, just maybe... Flipnote 3D integration :O

And happy birthday Pietepiet!

FYC

Banned
Happy birthday Pietepiet!

I still have to try my brother's copy of Revengeance, but I'm pretty sure I know what my GOTY is. I have to say, this has been a fantastic year for FPS games; Shadow Warrior, Rise of the Triad, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. What a wonderful bunch of games. There's a ton of stuff I'd love to play before the end of the year. ALBW sounds incredible, but...I've never finished LTTP... Should probably do that first >_>

Jet Set Sonic - Running the Bassline

I am in love with that fanart.

OMG Aero

And how! Sonic 2006 talk always brings us together. And Jak II talk for... some... reason.

Oh. I guess we have NNID stuff for 3DS, though it's just follows. Well.

PSN/SEN: Dark_Schala
NNID: SchalaAsha (Wii U & 3DS)
Steam ID: SchalaAsha (though I don't use it as much as I should)

I didn't make one for my JP 3DS yet. I'll do that later bc I'd like to post some Bravely Default pics.
Is there a list of SonicGAF NNID around? I haven't got a Wii U so this is my first time using Miiverse and I'd like to follow everyone.
Bravely Default is all I'm playing at the moment aside from Professor Layton daily puzzles.
m4r7eA7.jpg

Speaking of which, could I add your JP 3DS to my friends list Schala, so I could summon your Bravely Default character and use the abilink thing?

My NNID is SeventhForce for my US 3DS. I dunno if it can be added, but the one for my JP 3DS is Blaze627.

That reminds me, I need to go and buy For the Sequel. I imported the vanilla release a while back, but there's no real reason to continue that, or to wait for the US release when FtS has the localization already included.

Sciz

Okay, I didn't intend to do this again, but it's a special day and I can't let it go by unobserved, sooo...

DOOMGAF's Song of the Day - #2

Song: Sign of Evil
Game: DOOM
Composer: Bobby Prince
Arrangement: Brian Kline (Sonic Clang)

When all hope is gone,
And evil stalks out of the abyss,
Apply buckshot.

BlackJace

My NNID is BlackJace, as usual. I wish Jace was available, but you need 6 or more characters. Steam is the only place I get to use it lol.

And happy birthday Pietepiet.

Happy birthday, Piet.

My NNID is "ProfessorBeef" but you're better off just adding my 3DS friend code since the only time I played Wii U games was when I went to visit my friend. And he works for Nintendo now, so we're not even in the same state.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
No list of SonicGAF NNID or anything around atm, I don't think?

So far:
Dark Schala: SchalaAsha (NA 3DS/WiiU) , SchalaAshaJP (JP 3DS)
TheOGB: TheOGB
OMGAero: Omega_Aero
Seven Force: SeventhForce (NA 3DS) , Blaze627 (JP 3DS)
PhantomOfTheKnight: POTK_Ken
BlackJace: BlackJace
Beef: ProfessorBeef
Refyref: Refyref
Lightning Lord: Rebel40000
Coldman: ColdmanHot
Shadow Hog: ShadowHog

Speaking of which, could I add your JP 3DS to my friends list Schala, so I could summon your Bravely Default character and use the abilink thing?
Yeah, sure. I'll PM it to you in a sec since I finally made a Japanese Square Enix account.. I'll add your FC to mine since I have it on the other 3DS. I'm not too far along in terms of levels because exams (and because I turned EXP off + Hard mode because I wanted to see how it'd be like), but I'll keep updating my data so you can keep getting better attacks.

I might get the NA version of BD:FtS to play alongside those who are getting it in the US because I'm having too much fun with the game so far. But I was told that I probably shouldn't bother since I can use my data from this version and exchange it with anyone playing the NA version if they'd like to add my JP 3DS FC.

Okay, I didn't intend to do this again, but it's a special day and I can't let it go by unobserved, sooo...

When all hope is gone,
Apply buckshot.
It has "Sonic" in there, so it counts. :V

In all seriousness, Doom has some of the most iconic VGM in the medium, and a lot of composers seemed to have taken a lot of notes from it. Much like a lot of devs took notes from the game itself. The game was truly revolutionary.

OMG Aero

When all hope is gone,
Apply buckshot.
How do you post Doom music but not pick this one? The midi beats are so fresh.
Yeah, sure. I'll PM it to you in a sec since I finally made a Japanese Square Enix account.. I'll add your FC to mine since I have it on the other 3DS. I'm not too far along in terms of levels because exams (and because I turned EXP off + Hard mode because I wanted to see how it'd be like), but I'll keep updating my data so you can keep getting better attacks.

I might get the NA version of BD:FtS to play alongside those who are getting it in the US because I'm having too much fun with the game so far. But I was told that I probably shouldn't bother since I can use my data from this version and exchange it with anyone playing the NA version if they'd like to add my JP 3DS FC.
Thanks, I'm not sure what that second friend code you sent me was though since you just have to be 3DS friends and then the game scans your system's friends list when you update. I'll make sure to use the send function in battle whenever I use a special move so you can get some good attacks too.
And yeah, unless the NA is different for some reason then your JP data should work with people playing in America since it works on my UK version and I have guest data from all around Europe so there doesn't seem to be a region or language block.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks, I'm not sure what that second friend code you sent me was though since you just have to be 3DS friends and then the game scans your system's friends list when you update.
I think the Bravely Code is just a Square Enix Members JP thing, then. Do you guys have stat tracking for EU Square Enix Members like the JP site does? I also tested the whole "file upload to server, then download file from server" thing which is great. I love that just in case my data gets lost or something I can just download it back from the server.

\o/

zkajo.jpg

I knew he'd pick むぐぐ むぐぐ むぐぐ むぐぐ

OMG Aero

I think the Bravely Code is just a Square Enix Members JP thing, then. Do you guys have stat tracking for EU Square Enix Members like the JP site does? I also tested the whole "file upload to server, then download file from server" thing which is great. I love that just in case my data gets lost or something I can just download it back from the server.

\o/
I don't think we do.
The game isn't even listed on Square's European site which is kinda weird, even if the game is published by Nintendo Europe here. The only European site I can find is NoE's microsite for it.
What does that file uploading thing do then? Is it just for backing up saves and/or transferring your save from the first version of the game?

Refyref

So far:
Dark Schala: SchalaAsha (NA 3DS) , SchalaAsha JP (JP 3DS)

Well, I'll be following these, or at least the main units.

How do you post Doom music but not pick this one? The midi beats are so fresh.

My man!

So far:
Dark Schala: SchalaAsha (NA 3DS) , SchalaAsha JP (JP 3DS)

I believe I have qq more's and Emitan's, too, but I dunno if they want me sharing that without asking them.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't think we do.
The game isn't even listed on Square's European site which is kinda weird, even if the game is published by Nintendo Europe here. The only European site I can find is NoE's microsite for it.
What does that file uploading thing do then? Is it just for backing up saves and/or transferring your save from the first version of the game?
I don't know if the EU version's start screen has these four options:

dsc00972urz7y.jpg

First option is to sync your SEM JP profile with the game and get your Bravely Code.
Second option is to copy file.
Third option is to delete file.
Last option is to get your save that you uploaded to the BD:FtS site (ie: your last uploaded data when you synced w/server).

You should probably have the second and third options at the least. Apparently not? I dunno.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh so I'm not good enough for the NNID list?

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/BlazeHedgehog
Blaze, pls. You should've said something. D:

Sega1991/Blaze: BlazeHedgehog

If you want me to edit in Miiverse links, post them, etc. Also if you want me to specify if you have a Wii U as well, let me know that too.

Blaze, pls. You should've said something. D:

Sega1991/Blaze: BlazeHedgehog

If you want me to edit in Miiverse links, post them, etc. Also if you want me to specify if you have a Wii U as well, let me know that too.

This is a handy list. I'm gonna add people next time I hop on Miiverse.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Man, you guys, I'm not gonna lie. Sonic Lost World is the most underwhelming/disappointing platformer I've played all year. And I'd already set my expectations low for it. :/

The game I expected to be kinda 'eh' on was Mario and that one blew my expectations away.

TSSZNEWS posted a preview of Sonic #259.

...this variant cover art reminds me of something.
Should've probably rehosted that. I couldn't see anything. :V

But it definitely reminds me of something.

sonic2595du93.jpg
sonic259vari0fy0.jpg

I'm only on Steam :(
I'll add you on Steam when I run it again. Hitting the books.

Top Bottom