• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Verge compares PS4/XB1 games (that nasty, awful XB1 sharpening filter at work)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Nothing really huge here sans one shot:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/29/5155726/next-gen-supplementary-piece

The Verge says that Assassin's Creed runs at 900p on XB1, and 1080p on PS4. However it also has a nasty upscaling filter that is provided by the XB1 that overly darkens the picture and sharpens the image considerably. (lots more talk about that in this thread.) Here's the comparison:

9G6Qdzx.png

Full Res: http://cdn0.sbnation.com/assets/3647859/AC4-PS4.png

mpcSDh7.png

Full Res: http://cdn1.sbnation.com/assets/3647843/AC4-ONE-RIGHT.png

GIF form (you really ought to try the slider thing in the Verge site):

Here's another with Call of Duty, with the same sharpening/color issue:

nntkPw2.png

Full Res: http://cdn3.sbnation.com/assets/3647995/COD-PS4.png

TRwWnGU.png

Full Res: http://cdn1.sbnation.com/assets/3647931/COD-ONE-RIGHT.png

Here's an example of what the sharpening filter is doing to games. Both images below are of Battlefield 4 on XB1, upscaled to 1080p from 720p:

Preview/beta build with sharpening and contrast filter said:

Final retail version without the filter said:

Recently Digital Foundry did another look at the Battlefield XB1 version, and the sharpening filter applied to the older build was removed. So this is something devs can easily toggle/remove if they choose to.

Please, for gawds sakes devs, don't use this upscale filter, or remove it via patch. It looks so, so bad.

(Known affected games so far: AC: Black Flag, Killer Instinct, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Powerstar Golf)

NOTE: You can disable this filter by forcing your XB1 to always output at 720p.

I refuse to believe Assassin's Creed looks like that on the One. Given it can be removed if BF4 is used as evidence everyone do so please! Everyone tweet Microsoft people until it's gone.

Derrick01

Banned
Holy shit! AC4 already looks pretty sub par on PS4 due to all the last gen assets, but that Xbox One pic is something else. That's atrocious looking.

Waiting for someone to come in here and say the xbox version looks better. MS needs to remove this completely, it's not a feature and makes games look terrible.

Vashetti

Banned
Holy shit! AC4 already looks pretty sub par on PS4 due to all the last gen assets, but that Xbox One pic is something else. That's atrocious looking.

Nope. You can clearly tell that Killzone is better looking, but AC4 has blown me away. It's stunning.

wizzbang

Banned
Yet again I find myself liking the Xbox shots more due to the washed out looking colours on the PS4 shots, this is occuring across multiple games now, what's the cause?
EDIT:
OOOF ok that second COD: Ghosts shot........ that's kind of a bit more blatent, that's a big ding on the Xbox One for sure.
EDIT2: and Madden? Nope prefer the contrast on the Xbox One shot again, resolution difference is minimal.
Really really hard to spot the difference on the NBA shot, couldn't care less.

Nevermind the filter. Dat black crush. I didn't realize it was so bad.

I'm still not sure how common that is. The sharpening was noticeable in Dead Rising 3(although not to that level) at times but I didn't have the black crush issues some were having.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Both look like poor excuses as next gen titles, the X1 looking like a slightly more poor excuse.

glaucoma?

MS clearly intended the filter in hopes of making the picture look better, to some people, it just might look genuinely better. Dont shit on other's opinions please.

jayu26

Yet again I find myself liking the Xbox shots more due to the washed out looking colours on the PS4 shots, this is occuring across multiple games now, what's the cause?

I dare you to say that again when you see both version in motion. Xbone jaggies will bother you...

Guevara

The most prominent part of these screenshots, the water, actually does look a little better to me in the XB1 shot. GAF I have failed you.

I figured this was likely an exaggeration but... Nope, honestly that looks awful. So much fine detail ruined. AC4 looks gorgeous, the color particularly, and that just mutilates it.

Mindwipe

I think the COD screenshots are a better example. It's a big difference.

(For what it's worth I think AC4 actually would benefit from slightly darker shadows on the PS4, and hence until you really look I can see why some people might actually not hate the Xbox version. Until a good look.)

CSX

oh man at those Ghosts comparisons in the article.

Differene is quite huge.

And one of those NBA 2k14 pics for xb1 is so dark, you cant see the floor reflections...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm... the game doesn't look nearly that bad on my PS4, so I'm kind of suspicious that the Xbox One version looks as horrible as it does there. I'm not doubting the ugly sharpening filter, though.

AssCreed 4 never looked that great to begin with, but all the shit the Xbone adds on just straight up makes it vomit inducing.

Chobel

PC and PS4 have the same colors. Xbox One adds sharpness and contrast to output video. To have the same colors in PC/PS4 just modify sharpness and contrast from your monitor/TV options.

R3TRODYCE

Hmm... the game doesn't look nearly that bad on my PS4, so I'm kind of suspicious that the Xbox One version looks as horrible as it does there. I'm not doubting the ugly sharpening filter, though.

Agreed, I'm playing ACIV on PS4 right now and it doesn't look like that on my tv so I doubt the XB1 version looks that bad.

Really? AC4 on PS4 is anything but subpar. The texture work is incredible and the game is beautiful to look at in native 1080p too.

The above image doesn't do the PS4 version justice, looks so good in motion.

Top Bottom