• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFO 50 announced (PC, 2018) from creators of Spelunky, Downwell, and more

RM8

I'm in because of the pedigree, though I'm getting tired of the 8-bit nostalgia stuff :/
There are hardly any "8-bit" games out there - heck, this one pushes far beyond the graphical capabilities of those systems. It's actually extremely rare to get retro inspired games thar achieve this authentic look, I'm super stoked that we're getting 50 in one, lol.

Nezzhil

Cross post from Steam thread

giphy.gif

I recognize some game tributes like Crossed Swords. So cool.

Edit: I love the concept of a small games collection all developed by the same team.

RedBoot

I hope the punching Owl Man is in a Cheetahmen-styled game. Also really like the look of that first-person dungeon crawling game that shows up in the montage at the end.

But yeah, there's a certain amazing and terrible "style" to Action 52/Plug and Play/Pirate Cart sort of games, so I hope they really nail that here. I mean, granted, these games will presumably be functional and enjoyable, so they can't get it 100%, but that's fine. :p

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I saw a brief snippet of a first person dungeon crawler at the end of the trailer.

Guess I'm in.

RedBoot

Backlog just increased by 50

Now that I think about it, this is the sort of game that actually benefits a lot from Trophies/Achievements. If there's one for beating each game (or something similar for games that don't really have a specific ending), it'll be really helpful for keeping track of your progress through the games.

Sakwoff

Yeah, this looks fucking amazing. Holy crap, what a cool idea.

(Also helps that Spelunky is still the best "genre x + roguelike elements" game by a large margin. It's basically perfect. Whatever Derek Yu does, count me interested.)

I was already all in for a new collab between Derek Yu and Eirik Suhrke, but the other designers involved make this look incredible.

Interesting concept, but I wonder if this open way of marketing it is appropriate given they don't plan to launch soon. Unless it's not really open and they're hiding a twist for now (say, games quietly interfacing with each other and trying to confuse you, in-universe into submission to alien overlords), in which case, disregard this comment.

chocolate disco

Neo Member
Games like this look better on handhelds.
A: In general, the games are slightly smaller than commercial 8-bit titles from the 80's, but rest assured that they are full games and not microgames or minigames! Completing the entire collection could easily take over a hundred hours.
Does it mean these games are with the "end" and not "infinite" ones like Pac-Man for example? Can they be "completed"?

The Dink

I absolutely love this! Is anybody else getting Retro Game Challenge vibes from this?

hqdefault.jpg

If the games included in UFO 50 are as good as or better than the ones from RGC I'm there day one! Looks loads better than most compilation games like this already.

soundtest

Banned
Sounds like a WarioWare-esque collection with higher quality games packed inside, can't wait!

how did you come to that conclusion

In general, the games are slightly smaller than commercial 8-bit titles from the 80's, but rest assured that they are full games and not microgames or minigames! Completing the entire collection could easily take over a hundred hours.

Top Bottom