• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

neoanarch

Bebpo said:
That OP was looooooong, jeez 2:30??

They're not going to change that for like 2 years :lol

Plus the Gold Roger intro, plus flashbacks to the last episode. Gintama had a funny reference to that in one of its episodes.

Amazing anime, amazing manga. Can't get any better.

One Piece openings will always be long and that's fine by me. The last one was fantastic. It takes about 3 minutes to start an episode but it might be the only anime where I don't skip forward.

Ifrit said:
Wow that's a lot of characters, are they from the manga? Nice animation too, I couldn't listen to the music since I'm at work but as soon as I get home I'll listen

Those are the rookies. Won't spoil it for you but their intros and stories are great. Man, I want the Impel Down arc to start now...that is going to be...just amazing.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
HD version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhQJztI-htA&fmt=22

There's an impressive amount of detail in this opening. Even after multiple viewings I'm still finding new tidbits and surprises. For example, the engrish synopses of the Strawhats, Nami putting mustache glasses on Luffy, Zoro and sanji fighting over and later breaking a surfboard, the symbols behind the Supernovas, etc.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The anime did "the punch" well I'd say. Very movie 6 like. Overall I still like how the manga did it better though (but I guess that goes without saying).

Also anime-only watchers who have seen episode 394 should watch this clip from episode 8 and see if they recognize anyone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqe2Us5sTiQ (specifically starting at 2:45 and onward).

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
is episode 396 the one where luffy beats the shit out of the
tenryuubito?

neoanarch

grandjedi6 said:

I just saw 396. This is the reason I love OP so much. Oda builds up a character so well that when his the characters story climax finally happens its completely satisfying. I can't wait for the rest of this arc.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
397 covered exactly... one chapter.

Usopp entrance was EPIC :lol

Also the Haki sound effect, I swear I've heard it before... Dragon Ball Z?

Pimpwerx

Is the anime headed to filler town soon? I just started watching, though I already caught up in the manga. I know there's a long way to go. Just wondering if they're sending it to filler to keep the anime from catching the manga too much. There's not much after Shabondy, yet. PEACE.

gdt

The latest episode was weird.

I imagined the the captain's fight outside the auction house to be alot more...epic. It was a little on the goofy side.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Himuro said:
I'm in the process of catching up.

I was at the beginning when of the current arc when I last read exactly a year ago.

This is fucking amazing. That is all.

:bow Oda :bow2

:D

I'm up to date with manga but havent watched anime since the debut of brooke. saving it for later when the manga isnt so fresh in my mind.

its the only show I will do this for

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Himuro said:
This is the only anime or manga or comic or WHATEVER period that I do this with. I love One Piece so much that a teeny tiny chapter ONCE A WEEK cannot stop my hunger for it. So I don't read for MONTHS, sometimes a year in this case, and marathon it all in one gulp.

I call it binge reading. I do it only with One Piece.
I did that once (Didn't read one piece for 100 chapters, or 2 years, from 400-500), and decided to screw that and keep reading it. I like having a little something extra to look forward to each week.

Himuro said:
I try to read One Piece weekly and I just can't do it! So good! So awesome! It drives me crazy waiting for the next week!
This happened to me with the anime when i caught up with it last year june having to wait for an ep weekly just couldn't worked for me so i stopped watching it after Zoro's fight with brookes shadow and is now planning to start watching again when this current arc is finished.

Also i am surprised at the amount of people who does this One Piece is really just that awesome.

Firestorm

That's why I don't read the manga at all. I just watch the anime. Would rather get 20 mins a week. It's not like Naruto where the anime is so badly paced that I gotta get the manga either =D

<3 One Piece. Best running show on TV. Western or Eastern.

gdt

Firestorm said:
That's why I don't read the manga at all. I just watch the anime. Would rather get 20 mins a week. It's not like Naruto where the anime is so badly paced that I gotta get the manga either =D

Wow, no manga?

Wow, best running show?

BobLoblaw

Banned
Firestorm said:

This is what I do. I don't read the manga, just watch the anime. It's one of the highlights of my week. As for Naruto, I haven't watched that anime in months ever since that filler shit started (despite being behind the manga by about 2-3 years).

Twig

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Wow, no manga?

Wow, best running show?
I don't really watch the anime (except every now and then I try to catch up 'cause there's something awesome from themanga I just have to see in action).

But One Piece is I think definitely my favorite comic. And I say this as one who generally has a distaste for the atypical shonen stuff. I mean, I enjoy things like Naruto and Bleach to an extent, but after a while I just get bored.

I have never been bored with One Piece. Ever.

EDIT: As an aside, though, the manga has the superior art. Obviously it's impossible to capture all the detail in an animated show like there is in the still-frame comic panels, but it's a huge deal to me, as someone who absolutely and totally loves all things One Piece art.

Anime's still awesome, though. Nom.

gdt

I constantly proclaim my love for One Piece, its definitely my favorite manga/comic. Vagabond is in the ball park, and Berserk is as good if not better but has a fucktard author and release schedule.

And I usually wait a month or two and then spend a Saturday watching OP, except for the last couple of weeks.

I'd be very hard pressed to call the anime the best show on TV though... but hey!, whatever floats your boat.

Firestorm

gdt5016 said:
Wow, no manga?

Wow, best running show?
Not my favourite show of all time, but it's my favourite of what I'm currently watching (FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Heroes (gawd x.x), House MD, Scrubs, The Daily Show, and The Office).

rexor0717 said:
I fell off One Piece a long time ago. There are so many chapters/episodes that I haven't watched...its intimidating.
Lucky sonuvabitch. If there was something I could use to forget all memories of a show and watch it all over again for the first time.... oh god I'd do it so fast.

gdt

They (yes, they) need to get working on selective memory erasing. I'd just erase LOST, One Piece, FNL, etc etc (basically all of my favorite shows) over and over so I could watch them fresh all the time.

I'd only keep memories of my love for the show to force my self to keep watching.

Gomu Gomu

Best anime I've ever seen.

I'm kinda 10 years lttp on this one. 5 years ago I thought why not give it a shot. But the first 25 episodes were SO boring. Last year (One Piece's 10 year anneversiry) I told myself I have to give this another shot. Now, I watch an average of 8 episodes a day :lol .

I've reached the Water 7 episodes. And this shit keeps getting better and better.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Gomu Gomu said:
Best anime I've ever seen.

I'm kinda 10 years lttp on this one. 5 years ago I thought why not give it a shot. But the first 25 episodes were SO boring. Last year (One Piece's 10 year anneversiry) I told myself I have to give this another shot. Now, I watch an average of 8 episodes a day :lol .

I've reached the Water 7 episodes. And this shit keeps getting better and better.
You have no idea how awesome that arc is. None. Still my favorite arc in any anime to date.

Gomu Gomu

BobLoblaw said:
You have no idea how awesome that arc is. None. Still my favorite arc in any anime to date.

can't F-ing wait :D

Patriots7 said:
I just started watching it, on episode 6. It's funny. Reminds me of Dragonball/Z.
Just can't get hooked though.

As I said, It'll pick up after the first 25/30 episodes.

Firestorm

Patriots7 said:
I just started watching it, on episode 6. It's funny. Reminds me of Dragonball/Z.
Just can't get hooked though.
As mentioned earlier, the first 25 or so episodes are shit. After that DBZ only wishes it could be this amazing.

Top Bottom