• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steven_Universe_logo.png

WE!
Are the Crystal Gems!
We'll always save the day
and if you think we can't
We'll always find a way!
That's why the people
of
this
world
believe in
Garnet, Amethyst,
and Pearl
and Steven!

officialthread4banneri1u3b.png

ZFkHFHL.png

The Crystal Gems are a team of magical beings who are the self-appointed guardians of the universe. Half-human, half-Gem hero Steven is the "little brother" of the group. He's still learning to save the world using the magical powers that come from his bellybutton and he goes on magical adventures with the rest of the Crystal Gems, even though he's not as powerful as fellow group members Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl. Despite his shortcomings, Steven usually finds a surprising way to save the day.

NmqvYf9.png

STEVEN UNIVERSE - Zach Callison
The happy-go-lucky eponymous protagonist. The son of former Gem Rose Quartz (who died giving birth to Steven and passed on her powers to him) and Greg Universe (a one-hit wonder musician whose stage name is apparently his legal name), Steven acts as sort of a surrogate little brother for the other three gems. Although his heart is bigger than his brain, he still manages to do the right thing when it counts and unfailingly bring a smile to the faces of everyone he meets.

GARNET - Estelle
The strong, silent leader of the Gems whose stoic demeanor masks her kind, caring nature. She fights using a pair of crimson gauntlets summoned from the gems on her hands.

QiKXPtl.png

AMETHYST - Michaela Dietz
The Gems' token slacker; a rather immature girl who values having fun above completing missions. Despite this, she can still be very deadly when push comes to shove, and fights using a multi-tipped whip summoned from the gem on her chest.

PEARL - Deedee Mango
The most motherly of the gems, and the one in charge of making sure Steven stays out of trouble while learning to control his powers. She is also the thirstiest character in the show, which is simply undeniable. Pearl fights using a naginata summoned from the gem on her forehead.

PERIDOT - Shelby Rabara
The newest member of the gems, Peridot was previously stationed on the Homeworld planet where she was tasked with helping to destroy the Earth. After crash-landing and having numerous encounters with the gems, Peridot now dedicates herself to saving humanity from the rest of Homeworld.

EjGn47m.png

LAPIS LAZULI - Jennifer Paz
Though not an official member of the Crystal Gems, the hydrokinetic Lapis Lazuli has proven herself to be an invaluable ally and unlikely friend to both Steven and Peridot (with whom she spends most of her time ever since being rescued by the Gems). Though she's much more bitter and abrasive than the rest of the Gems, Lapis' heart is usually in the right place.

pdWONYR.png

Here's a wonderful episode guide for the entirety of Season 1 made by our very our Psxphile. Wow, thanks!

FAQ said:
A note regarding spoilers:

Spoilers are to be tagged for 3 HOURS following its initial airing, to give watchers on both coasts a chance to catch up before the thread becomes a minefield. Spoilers on unreleased episodes are to be tagged until the episode airs. THIS INCLUDES LEAKED EPISODES. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please try to be courteous regarding hints, teases and leaks from the creators, as not everyone wants to know everything in advance. Additionally, though it goes without saying, do not post links to leaked episodes or to unofficial streams of any kind. Failure to comply with spoiler policy will result in a thorough tongue-lashing from your fellow viewers and potentially mod involvement if you continually ruin others' experiences by posting untagged spoilers.

What is a "Steven Bomb?"

A Steven Bomb refers to a promotional event that has happened several times so far in which five brand-new episodes air over the course of a week. If you see someone use that term in the thread, they're probably talking about a deluge of new episodes over a protracted period of time. Variations include a "Steven Nuke" (in which new episodes air every weekday for a full month) and a "Minibomb" (in which multiple episodes following the same story arc air in proximity but not close enough to be called a true Steven Bomb).

Who is the best?

Peridot is the best.

War and glory, reinvention
Fusion, freedom, her attention,
Out in daylight, my potential,
Bold, precise, experimental,
Who am I now in this world without her?
Petty and dull with the nerve to doubt her?
What does it matter, it's already done.
Now I've got to be there for her son.
It's over, isn't it? Isn't it? Isn't it over?
It's over, isn't it? Isn't it? Isn't it over?
You won, and she chose you, and she loved you, and she's gone.
It's over, isn't it? Why can't I move on?

*Amazing banner lovingly created by Kyledk05!

iosefe

i see peridot is best gem now?

perfect

anyway, left this in the last thread, but as psxphile linked, we have a mostly complate verion of Love Like You.
unless they decided to remove it, i'ts just missing a Guitar Solo and Drum fill

i love this song

New thread! No Wall of Shame? :p

Also I like that you went with OT4. At least this way we can just change the title if we blast through an entire season in a month.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
really angry that Peridot
still has no star in her clothes, and doesn't appear in the intro

Spoilers for tonight's episode:
Darn it I was actually hoping she'd get poofed just so I'd regenerate. Steven even says "wow you don't poof easily do you?". Taunting us

PSqueak

Banned
really angry that Peridot
still has no star in her clothes, and doesn't appear in the intro

Given the gems only redesign when they get poofed
and we saw she can take a shit ton of non-Garnet administered damage
, she prolly wont get her star any time soon.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Also Peridot is literally the worst gem by far and episodes without her are markedly more enjoyable.

#TruthBombs

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
There's only so much I can watch Peridot fail to understand an obvious situation to supposed comic effect. She has one gag.

PSqueak

Banned
There's only so much I can watch Peridot fail to understand an obvious situation to supposed comic effect. She has one gag.

It's no like an Alien would suddenly understand everything in a new planet after one or two misunderstandings, hell, Pearl and Garnet have been in the planet roughly since the dawn of humanity and they too still misunderstand things some times.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's no like an Alien would suddenly understand everything in a new planet after one or two misunderstandings, hell, Pearl and Garnet have been in the planet roughly since the dawn of humanity and they too still misunderstand things some times.

I'm not saying it's an implausible set of events, I'm just saying that it stopped being funny after one or two skits. Peridot as a character is a massive one trick pony. She has the least character depth of any of the regular appearance gems.

EDIT: not to mention she uses the same basic concept as Pearl (know it all who often misreads the situation to comic effect), but worse, making her both annoying and redundant.

Thanks for the new thread, Scrafty!

#TeamPeridotIsTheBest

I just love how she (and Lapis) react to everything, though I can see why other people may dislike her for the same reason.

Plus...S4E1 Spoilers:
That Roadrunner & Coyote episode. Such a wonderful homage and the marshmallow barrage was beautiful.

Toad.T

Banned
Man, did anybody else get blown away by Camp Pining Hearts' season finale? I didn't think that they'd go there, what with the hints they've been setting up, but they did.

Kindergarden Kid's the best comedy episode the show's done so far.

doop_

Banned
Man, did anybody else get blown away by Camp Pining Hearts' season finale? I didn't think that they'd go there, what with the hints they've been setting up, but they did.

Kindergarden Kid's the best comedy episode the show's done so far.
Ehh, I think Hit the diamond is the best.
I really love the Rubies.

blamite

Lapis is the best and if you deny this you're lying to me and to yourself

I can't believe they fucking
did a Roadrunner episode???

Crocodile

Wait I don't think the last topic reached 20k posts. Is a new season coming up? I'm SUPER behind on this show. I'll catch up one day.......

I'm not saying it's an implausible set of events, I'm just saying that it stopped being funny after one or two skits. Peridot as a character is a massive one trick pony. She has the least character depth of any of the regular appearance gems.

EDIT: not to mention she uses the same basic concept as Pearl (know it all who often misreads the situation to comic effect), but worse, making her both annoying and redundant.

I get that her gags get repetitive, but I enjoy Peridot all the same because she serves as a second POV character that isn't Steven. Instead of Steven learning about the Crystal Gem multiverse, you get Peridot learning from Steven about earth, in turn giving us greater insight into how Steven sees the world and why he thinks every part of it is worth defending. This really comes to a head during their time spent in the drill, where it's Steven's perspective, not Peridot's tunnel-visioned reliance on technology, that saves the day. I don't think that would come across more effectively with the other gems. She's certainly not a redundant version of Pearl in that aspect.

Wait I don't think the last topic reached 20k posts. Is a new season coming up? I'm SUPER behind on this show. I'll catch up one day.......

The new Season 4 starts tonight. Even though Season 3 literally ended yesterday.

This Friday marks the end of a four-week stretch of new episodes (almost) every week night, before going back to weekly episodes next Thursday.

Yes, it's screwy scheduling, but it's a vast improvement from the dark days of hiatus when we had no idea when new episodes were coming.

ElFly

pearl was my favorite until sworn to the sword, which creeped me out, and thus the favorite spot was empty until peridot

Geist-

pearl was my favorite until sworn to the sword, which creeped me out, and thus the favorite spot was empty until peridot
I felt like that episode added a lot of depth to her character. If anything, Pearl became even more deeply entrenched as my favorite character because her character is so deeply flawed.

I guess Amethyst is also deeply flawed, but I'm not a big fan of self-pity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom