• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft interested in EA Access like program, thinks it's good for publisher brands

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From Ubisoft's CEO.

Game Informer said:
That’s not to say that Ubisoft isn’t willing to explore different business models. The company is keeping a watchful eye on EA’s new Access program on Xbox One, and Guillemot sees benefits beyond the revenue.

“I think it makes the publisher more important in the player’s mind,” he says. “Often, people are only interested in one brand from a publisher, so they don’t look for other brands. When you buy into something like Access, you can try other things for free and discover other things you like. It’s a way to make sure gamers can get more info on what we do and the diversity of our portfolio.”

Guillemot likens the idea of publisher “Access” subscriptions to television channels. “When you look on your console, you have many channels and you want that diversity,” he says. “Instead of saying everything’s in one place, we can say ‘Okay, try these channels: EA, Ubi, Activision.’

He sees programs like this as a way to increase diversity and attract new users to the consoles. Interestingly, Ubisoft hasn’t yet signed on with the only platform-level program yet. The company is not included in the PlayStation Now library. “We are still in the process of studying what it can do,” he explains. “We are open to any way that can give players access to our games. It has to work well and be a smooth experience.”
Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ndo-customers-don-t-buy-assassin-s-creed.aspx

If they were really honest:

Ubisoft interested in EA Access like program, thinks it's good for publisher bank accounts

Looks like they are trying to promote brand loyalty, become a Ubisoft, EA fan rather than just a genre or game series fan.

I personally will never buy into this.

It's interesting that games seem to be heading for a subscription model, but if every publisher is going to have its own service, and I have to sign up for them all, I can't really see the model taking off.

Toki767

How many games does Ubisoft really put out every year? I could see them launching this next year with The Division though.

It's interesting that games seem to be heading for a subscription model, but if every publisher is going to have its own service, and I have to sign up for them all, I can't really see the model taking off.

This is what Yoshida mentioned in the Eurogamer interview when he was asked why Sony turned down EA Access.

$30 and I've played a bunch of Madden, as well as Fifa and BF4, two games I never would have bought. I'm looking forward to what else comes.

Don't get the hate for this program at all.

Oh oh if this continue I think we'll be having a PS+ like service for each publisher and it'll be the dominant service this well really mean an end if an era.

Sentenza

Of course. it's an horrible idea that consumers somehow decided to welcome cheerfully anyway.
I feel we'll see a lot of other publishers copying it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ubisoft is probably one of the publishers which can pull it off better, based on their lineup.

As always, I think subscriptions are great as an option. I don't think they'll ditch "normal" ways of selling games, since, otherwise, I fear it'd be not fiesable to have AAA games being developed to be released on a service asking at max 9.99 per month, and where there are many other games as well. It's just not possible, financially-wise.

EDIT: Even if, honestly, I'd prefer more having a "central" subscription service from Sony/MS/Nintendo with all the games than having to pay for subs for each publisher. XD

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well the idea is that the big players get the most success and continue to divert excess capital to themselves.

It's like season passes. You want to sell people more of your product.

... Ya know... I knew this was going to happen eventually but... I always held onto the hope it would somehow fade away and everyone would just forget about it as a one-time wonder kind of deal...

damn it...

I can just FEEL a subscription overflooded videogame crash 2.0 happening so hard it hurts.

If their going to copy EA, they should copy their PC policies with money back guarantees if you don't like the game, randomly giving out old games for free and time limited trial periods for major titles.

DigtialT

Other then EA, Ubisoft, and Activision what other publishers are big enough to be able to create a program like EA Access?

Doel

There has to be a good gif that represents disengaging from all this extra, heavily metrics-focused, boardroom-driven, unneeded, crap. Insert that here.

avaya

If you're a publisher you can't just sit by and watch Sony and MS rake in the high margin subscription revenue. This proliferation is inevitable, most people hope it is fragmented enough to fail but well have to wait a few years for the answer.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
$30 and I've played a bunch of Madden, as well as Fifa and BF4, two games I never would have bought. I'm looking forward to what else comes.

Don't get the hate for this program at all.

Yeah, I think it's actually a pretty good option for its target audience.

I don't really get the hate toward season passes or DLC either, which tend to get a lot of backlash.

This is what these idiot publishers don't understand, it's the same thing as when studios started pulling out form Netflix to do their own streaming service. They see the dollar signs and that's it not realizing people have no problem with Netflix cause it's just $8 once, not $8 for Netflix, for hulu, for amazon, for warner bros and so on. It adds up and people don't want that split content everywhere.

Kayant

Welp it was bound to happen... Oh my just looking at what pubs will start locking behind these access services is scary.

This is what these idiot publishers don't understand, it's the same thing as when studios started pulling out form Netflix to do their own streaming service. They see the dollar signs and that's it not realizing people have no problem with Netflix cause it's just $8 once, not $8 for Netflix, for hulu, for amazon, for warner bros and so on. It adds up and people don't want that split content everywhere.
this

Hopefully Sony nips this line of thinking in the bud. I like getting games from everyone through PS+ and I refuse to buy into 5 different subscription services from 5 different publishers.

A-V-B

You can always expect these dudes to group together. No big surprise. Long as I don't need a subscription to play all the other games on Steam.

FleetFeet

Thanks for opening pandora's box, EA and MS! Much appreciated!

Never will I ever in a million years appreciate this shit

Top Bottom