• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 sells (to consumers) ~2 million units in 1 month WW

From Nintendo's AGM. Someone live-tweeting the event has shared that Mario Kart 8 has allegedly sold 2 million copies in 1 month world wide.

The tweet also mentions a reported upturn in hardware sales for the Wii U.

マリオカート8は発売から1ヶ月で全世界200万本。本体の販売も上向いている。(そこまで売れてるか…?)

https://twitter.com/NStyles/status/482332552267436032

My take:

Mario Kart 8 has sold 2 million copies world wide in the month since its release. System sales are also up. (Is it selling that much...?)

Confirmed by IGN: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/27/2-million-copies-of-mario-kart-8-have-reportedly-been-sold

Polygon chart me if old.

Toki767

Not even a complete month

Came out earlier in Japan I think.

What's the deal with Polygon here that you guys are referring to? Eating their words?

2548012-1521768639-mario.jpg

AdanVC

Excellent numbers! Also, so glad it was mentioned that actual hardware sales have increased as well. The power of Mario Kart
And the Luigi Death Stare

hawk2025

For those keeping track, that's already 80% more than Polygon's projection, if true.

I repeat: Stop trying to do statistical analysis if you have no idea how it works.

Edit: I see it's already been posted!

For those keeping track, that's already 80% more than Polygon's projection, if true.

I repeat: Stop trying to do statistical analysis if you have no idea how it works.

Edit: I see it's already been posted!

It looks like they assumed that literally no additional WiiU systems would sell after their article came out.

JLeack

Banned
First off, LOL POLYGON.

Secondly, That'd be an attachment ratio of 33%, which is flippin' insane for a game that isn't bundled with EVERY console since launch.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
https://twitter.com/NStyles/status/482332552267436032

My take: Mario Kart 8 has sold 2 million copies world wide in the month since its release. System sales are also up. (Is it selling that much...?)

Thank you Streets for the translation. Not surprised by the above, Nintendo will most likely have 2.3-2.5 million copies shipped for Q1. That's quite stellar.

On a side note, I've been watching Amazon.de and Amazon.fr and never has the Mario Kart 8 bundle left the Top 20. I know one can't extrapolate much from Amazon data, but never have I seen Wii U hardware in the Top 20 for such an extended period of time.

Attach rate seems very high. From here, the hardware really needs to move for this game to continue selling well down the line.

It can't even begin to think about entering 4-5 million until we have 9 million Wii U's on the market. Maybe we will get that by the end of this year.

Their features are amazing. Their news is mostly trash tho

Didn't their main feature writer just leave/get laid off/something?

The site was always had one foot in the garbage dump, they're primed and ready to jump in headfirst now. Good riddance.

Polygon sucks so, so badly.

Good news for Nintendo and Wii U, though!

Kelsey

Banned
Sounds about right, unless European sales are significantly higher. Just a question of whether or not the game is moving hardware in N. America.

It's easily the best selling game at Amazon.com US for the year. It passed Titanfall two weeks ago, so it's doing well in NA.

random25

Well deserved. Congratulations!

Looks like beating the least selling Mario Kart (Super Circuit) is easier than expected. Polygon projections of 1.26M really looks like shit right now.

So.... just out of curiosity. What do we think MK8 is going to be able to do in NA over, say, a year?

I bet it'l be leveling out at around 4 million. It will probably get a decent boost in the holidays. Which means, it would still be the worst selling mario kart ever though. Still great sales for the platform its on.

Top Bottom