• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awkward Scenes in Videogames That Made You Cringe

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Those MGS4 complains, yes I agree.
But this? Get the fuck out!
It's cheesy as hell. The combination of that handshake + hug makes it awful. If it was just either one of those it would be alright

edit, scratch that. It's the transition towards the hug that kills it. That just ruins the whole scene

Flipyap

NP0kq.png

Oh god, this thread had me in a fit of giggles the entire time, and I can't even watch the videos right now. I'll have to save them for later.

I loved Bayonetta, it was filled with such awesome camp. Did anyone watch AGDQ this year? I got kinda sick of Flicky whining about the game, but when everyone did the dance at the end... so hilariously awkward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYlu5-3begI

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Laughing scene in FFX.

Johnny/Meryl fight scene in MGS4.

98% of Bayonetta. (I will never play this game in front of anyone)

DMC1/3 Dante using the word "soul" in a sentence.

jaxword

I like how people are just using the thread to complain about their least favorite FFs. Come on, people STILL mention the laughing scene 10 years later? The scene that's SUPPOSED to be awkward?

I like how people are just using the thread to complain about their least favorite FFs. Come on, people STILL mention the laughing scene 10 years later? The scene that's SUPPOSED to be awkward?

It being purposefully awkward doesn't make it any less awkward.

Rather, effort was put into maximizing the awkwardness since it was completely intentional.

The product being incredibly awkward.

udivision

The fact that it's in the thread means they succeeded, and did it in an incredibly memorable way or else we wouldn't still be mentioning it.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Excuse me? FFX is one of my top 5 games of all time. So is DMC1 for that matter.

Stupid is still stupid.

all the "witty" banter that games are now trying to do.. Uncharted 2, Portal 2 (almost got it right but still made me cringe at times), the newer Assassin's Creed games... just fucking ugh, so awful. if you can't write funny dialogue, please don't try so hard. it's embarrassing :/ Rockstar are pretty much the only ones who can do genuinely funny dialogue IMO. most others just come off as such try-hards.

Petrichor

all the "witty" banter that games are now trying to do.. Uncharted 2, Portal 2 (almost got it right but still made me cringe at times), the newer Assassin's Creed games... just fucking ugh, so awful. if you can't write funny dialogue, please don't try so hard. it's embarrassing :/ Rockstar are pretty much the only ones who can do genuinely funny dialogue IMO. most others just come off as such try-hards.

Rockstar games funnier than Portal? Nah, don't agree.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Yeah, I always thought that handshake between Snake and Hal was pretty pimp.

Nothing wrong with best bros hugging it out before getting into some dangerous shit.

Rockstar games funnier than Portal? Nah, don't agree.

well i guess it's a matter of taste. i played Portal 2 with the gf and we didn't laugh once during the game, just looked at each other like "was that supposed to be funny?" playing San Andreas, GTAIV or even RDR however made us chuckle on a constant basis. i dunno, i just feel like a lot developers are trying too hard, as if it's a thing to do, to check that "witty banter" box. while in Rockstar's games it feels more natural and effortless, less cynical.

Petrichor

Yeah, I always thought that handshake between Snake and Hal was pretty pimp.

Nothing wrong with best bros hugging it out before getting into some dangerous shit.

I think the handshake just seems really silly and out of place tonally with the rest of the scene. It goes emotion > goofy handshake > emotion.

def sim

This thread has given me perspective. It's weirding me out to see the Gears 2 Maria scene is not as awkward or badly done as I remember it; it actually conveys the loss well enough.

I guess the discord between that scene and Marcus and Dom's wacky adventures is what triggered a hearty laugh from me and my buddy.

szaromir

Banned
-pretty much everything in MGS1
-pretty much every cutscene in Halo 3
-pretty much every dialogue line in God of War series
-Bayonetta, mostly the scenes with crying
-all the conspiracies in Fahrenheit

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Anytime Fi tried "singing" in Skyward Sword.

Oh god yes, same with Link playing the harp. You'd think they would have bothered to come up with some better animations, they looked dreadful.

Also MGS4 from start to finish.

BeeDog

The only game that has made me cringe is Bayonetta, with its awkward, oversexualized and stupid cutscenes. The sex Aphrodite scene in God of War 3 comes closely too.

Well... pretty much every single cutscene in Killer7 was awkward because of how batshit insane the whole thing gets... and some made me cringe, even.

Did you see that? A real handsome pose!

On-Topic:
The gay twins in God Hand made me cringe... worst possible stereotyping imaginable. :p

gerudoman

Meryl flirting with Snake when she was being controlled by Psycho Mantis. If it wasn't enough embarrassing I had to see it with my mother in the same room, I directly skipped this scene with Meryl's fake orgasms.

COURAGE IS THE MAGIC THAT TURNS DREAMS INTO REALITY

95268517_polls_cringe1_5904_996709_poll_xlarge_xlarge.jpeg

From Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World...it's particularly egregious when it's retardly repeated over and over by Emil

Roto13

95268517_polls_cringe1_5904_996709_poll_xlarge_xlarge.jpeg

From Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World...it's particularly egregious when it's retardly repeated over and over by Emil

Oh god, that was terrible. That whole game was cringeworthy, though. Fucking Emil. He spends the first hour of the game trying to work up the courage to thank someone for being nice to him. God.

And why is he wearing an evening gown?

Levyne

Banned
Oh god, that was terrible. That whole game was cringeworthy, though. Fucking Emil. He spends the first hour of the game trying to work up the courage to thank someone for being nice to him. God.

I played it again recently (lost my save, wanted to get one back for some reason). Yeah the first ~10 hours are very bad, the later 15 were actually tolerable though (even if only because Emil and Marta begin to be diluted a little among the more reasonable symphonia characters).

Oh I liked the game. I liked the endgame events and the final boss' music.I just switched my brains off everytime pussy-Emil was speaking. I've never wanted to slap a video game character so bad in my life.

About the evening gown...uh...Ratatosk's sense of fashion ?

Derrick01

Banned
But don't you see, that's what makes the game so damn wonderful. It's hilariously campy! (as long as you find campiness funny, I guess.)

I like the game because it's fun for the most part but I was never a fan of that "quirky" japanese humor in their games. It was always so off putting and weird to me.

Jezan

Oh God.

Other M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GixvXBCK6u4
Skip to 8minutes

Spoilers if you care. (you shouldnt)

If this scene was not in the game, it would have been SO much better. The entire story and Samus's character turned to complete shit at this moment.
Exactly :(
I thought Adam was boss, but he ruined Metroid :(

Every time Virginia Maxwell raises her guns in Wild Arms 3. It's supposed look badass, but it clearly isn't. And the scene after chapter 3 where some random guy dances.

And who could forget:
I AM IMPACT!
It's Mystical Ninja/Impact it's supposed to be awkward!

blind51de

Banned
Nerd/Node "pun" in MGS2's early Big Shell portion.
I was so dumbstruck I tracked down Japanese playthrough footage to find the same stupid thing, except while for them it's a change in one vowel for actual English it is far more different and furthermore completely out of context.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I heard really good things about Nier but found myself embarrassed while playing it in front of my girlfriend. Something about the voice acting and the weird dynamic between father/daughter just threw me off.

Some of the cut scenes in MGS4 were seriously cringe worthy, too.

The worst though is games that make me feel like a perv while playing them. Bayonetta is a big one.

I'm sorry, virtual people humping each other is not what I find amusing. Nor would I want anyone to come in when it's happening. Meanwhile who cares who walks in during the boobs of Game of Thrones? Thats pretty much the defention of awkward.

Good game outside of that. Great game actually, it's not like they hurt the game. They are just kind of awkward.

Top Bottom