• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(@ ´ `)b Dragon Poker thread of ROYAL STRAIGHT FLUSH (iOS/Android, JP) d( ´ `@)

Japanese language disclaimer
This game is only available in Japanese with no potential for an English release in sight. We have taken considerable efforts to translate vast portions of the UI that isn't already represented visually, and players with no Japanese ability have successfully been able to navigate the game. If being unable to read menus and monster skills is a dealbreaker for you, turn back now. Otherwise, welcome!

j1xVlAi.png

> > > The Sum Collective of English Knowledge of Dragon Poker < < <

Dragon Poker is a smartphone dragonesque game, bearing many similaries to other games in the genre like Puzzle & Dragons, Brave Frontier, and Marvel Puzzle Quest. Unlike those games, however, this game is designed aroung having real-time multiplayer functionality. Five players each contribute cards, each representing a monster, from their deck to make the best poker hand possible, which determines what attacks you do. This might sound kind of stupid, and I definitely thought so when first playing, but there's a few things Dragon Poker does that makes the experience the hypest shit ever:

Gameplay
Make no mistake, this is a real-ass game. What may initially seem like a simple decision (you only have to choose one of four cards, compared to something like Puzzle & Dragons where you have to evaluate the entier board) becomes much more complicated when you have to consider the monsters on each of the cards, meaning you have to ask yourself why a card is good to play. The best monster to play won't always necessarily be the one that creates the largest poker hand, and the nail-biting anticipation from waiting to see if your party members make the correct card evaluation is something else.

Have yourself more gameplay videos from various dungeons of events past:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kkD26YVHto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQWMUnyiwOE

Music
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i5T2SMXrTs
I feel pretty confident in saying that Dragon Poker has one of the best soundtracks that mobile gaming has to offer and is a real hidden gem of great videogame music. Like that's just the title theme up there, and it only gets even better. Just do a YouTube search for stuff from the game and just listen to stuff. How they manage to weavy jazzy tunes with a whole bunch of different genres is incredible.

PVP
The game runs PVP events every two weeks, and even has a full-fledged league matchmaking and ladder system. Test your skills against other players in five rounds of ruin and glory!

If you want to see what clashes between titans looks like, here's a fairly recent video of Colosseum involving many max leveled players:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWBfRDd0juo

Nicospamming wwwwwww
Fill up the screen with d(>&#8704;< )Nice!! after watching somebody save your bum ass with a clutch as hell play or go all (&#23662;&#65439;&#1044;&#65439;)&#23662; COME ONNNNNNN after a CPU wrecks your perfectly crafted flush with the most braindead of moves. There's even a special ability within the game to make your personal shouts ABSOLUTELY HUGE. Hells yeah the developers know exactly what their audience wants.

The Group Chat feature provides a linkshell-esque system for communicating with other players. From inside, you can set up private dungeon runs and even party up for PVP. It's also a safe haven for the tiny English population in the game to organize and play together. It's also evidence that Japanese players seem absolutely tickled that random outsiders are picking up the game.

Seriously, I started playing Dragon Poker not expecting much, but I'm glad I gave it a shot, because it has absolutely paid its dividends in fun and it's even overtaken PAD as my most played game.
TV Commercial

Player Testimonials
Robin "yes the one from Carpe Fulgur" Light-Williams 2014 said:
5/5 would spam NICE NICE NICE NICE NICE again
tiw-- 2014 said:
this is basically a MOBA in how angry you get at pubbies
Steparu 2014 said:
My only problem with the game is that it's very hard to find a cute looking character, other than that the game is great!
So, after two weeks of playing Dragon Poker, here are some of my impressions. This is coming from someone who played a lot of PAD for over a year. In also writing this on mobile, so errors may be prevalent.
[12:57:00] <teasel> is wanting to murder the people you play with part of the game?

Language barrier aside, the game starts newbies off well off, with a lot of stones readily available and many more theoretically available through evolving new cards. At the same time, getting good rolls are doubly important, since ss cards can provide a huge boost to stats over other cards, much more than in PAD. While rerolling can be an option, it is somewhat hard to do. You are better off just rolling again when you hit 40 stones.

The game play of making poker hands is fun, and there is more depth to it with managing the sp gauge and learning when to use support skills.

So, I'm really enjoying it, and will keep playing it, along with PAD. Apparently new players can get ss cards when they start now, although I don't know how good they are. I was fortunate to start when I did though, the nyanko collab provided a huge boost to leveling that cannot be overstated. With the collab ending a couple days ago, new players will have a slower time leveling.

Current Events
Cursed Pharaoh
YSIjLed.jpg

A "new-style" score attack event, meaning it's a great way to grind rank and exp feeders. There are two DRA rewards from this dungeon:
Pharaoh:
Active - Fire Element attack with a chance to inflict Paralyze or Poison or Stone.
Sub - When equipped to A, 15% skill boost for active card, and 20% status resistance. (Very good for Support Aces)

Bastet:
Active - Claw Attack that can have High or Low Damage (non-multihit blinguin skill?)
Sub - 20% unconditional boost to claw attacks.

Do watch out, because the boss has a nasty attack where he locks certain hand formations. These are announced purely as text every turn, unfortunately.

Million Nyanko Collab
In the past there existed a three-way collaboration event between Square-Enix, Asobism, and PONOS. While the special collab dungeon has closed, the crossover app is still available for download and to reap the rewards from:
http://portal.million-arthurs.com/kdn/
Fill out the monster book in that game (which is completely free of IAP, by the way), and you get two SSS class monsters in Dragon Poker without spending a dime.

Getting Started

First, you need to be able to download the game itself. If you've tried to get anything from the Japanese App Store / Google Play Store, you know the deal. If you don't...
Creating a Japanese iTunes account / Dragon Poker App Store link
Android APK
http://www.asobism.co.jp/social/dragonpoker/

Do I need to go through reset marathon rerolling bullshit just to make it?
Well, first off, the game binds an ID to your phone, so it appears to be impossible to reroll in this game. Luckily, the game tosses stones at you like candy especially early on, and pretty much every SS card in the game is usable! Roll that rare gacha without abandon!

Starter monster
Top Tier: Lancelot (blue sword dude) if you like big damage, Dryad (green healer) if you like big heals
Endgame Usable: Phoenix, Buffalo, Lapis Lazuli, Ranmaru (may upgrade to Top Tier once he gets a GOD evo)
Z Tier: the shitlords, wolfboy

Referral system
By entering somebody else's referral code before you hit LV20, you give them five stones up front and ten more when you hit LV20. Since everybody loves free shit, we can take advantage of GAF to start up a referral chain. Quote the person who last posted their code in the thread with "under you", and post your own. If you break the referral chain by either using the wrong person's referral code or ditching the game before hitting LV20, well then you are just a terrible person.

If you fancy yourself a friendly person, do also include your in-game nickname so we can invite you to English group chat. Game only allows search by nickname, not user ID (because ???), so if your nick seems like something that's super common please temporarily change it to something more unique so we can actually find you.

Gachapon
Like other dragonesques, the biggest wall of of IAP in this game is the rare monster machine. Every weekend as well as during certain events, the gacha button will glow gold, meaning selected monsters will appear out of the machine at boosted rates. Other events may have monsters at max level, ready to evolve, or with skill levels already put into them.

First steps
As a new player, you have two immediate objectives:
1. Get to LV20 so you can fulfill your obligation to your referrer
2. Collect 40 stones so you can do an 11roll on the gacha
The starter guide and English mini-reference go into detail about specific game mechanics as well as other things for you to do in the game.

Do also stop by #dorapo @ irc.synirc.net if you fancy yourself the IRC type of person or if you want any questions answered pretty much immediately.

Emalde

Make sure to include your referral code for the next person to use! You'll make the new little fairies very happy:

dHv7e2g.png

Cbajd5

okay yeah the music is awesome as hell

If I'm reading this correctly, my referral code is: d3ab997

(Although the site you linked says that the codes should be used in pairs, not chains...)

(Although the site you linked says that the codes should be used in pairs, not chains...)
That was from a different attempt at getting referral codes shared, but led to issues with players getting confused and breaking the chain. So I wanted to try a flat chain to see if things worked out any better.

Rahk

Been seeing you mention this in the PAD thread, but I think this thread will be the push that gets me to try it.

Ran through the tutorial quickly but I'll start playing tomorrow since I need to sleep.

That was from a different attempt at getting referral codes shared, but led to issues with players getting confused and breaking the chain. So I wanted to try a flat chain to see if things worked out any better.
Reading that site it seems you get stones for both referring and being referred, so I'm not sure a chain can work since the first person (Cbajd5) needs to put in someone else's referral code, and that should also be someone new to get the maximum amount of stones (30 total).

So tempting.

Cosmo, hold me.
Oh, I didn't know we had reached that point on the relationship yet

As for referrals, only the person whose code you entered gets stones, not the person who enters the code. The pair system was designed so two people playing simultaneously could refer each other and both get two stones out of the deal.

But, we had problems where a new player was unable to find a partner before hitting LV20, at which point the game prevents you from inputting a referral code. So that's why we're trying the "list" system here. Hope that explanation makes sense, cause it's a bit of a confusing system and we want to reduce the amount of confusion as much as possible.

Antialias

I used this code. Mine is: u1d706a

This seems to be an age of rapid evolution in Japanese mobile games, while in the west everyone is still copying the two market leaders. I think a lot of good stuff will come out of the Japanese scene in time.

Musan

Looks really cool, I've been really enjoying the BGMs on youtube. Sadly, I think I can stick to only two Dragonesques at the moment (PAD and Million Arthur). If this ever does come out in english, I'll definitely jump on the bandwagon.

Skye

The fact that the game is entirely in Japanese is a little bit daunting, but I'm getting sick of PAD and this game looks super hype so I'll give it a shot. The music is definitely really good! (at least the few songs I've heard)

I used this code. Mine is: u1d706a

This seems to be an age of rapid evolution in Japanese mobile games, while in the west everyone is still copying the two market leaders. I think a lot of good stuff will come out of the Japanese scene in time.

I used Antialias's code for my referrer. My code is: gde30d9.

Oh yeah, don't forget to mention your in-game nickname so we can invite you to English group chat. Game only allows search by nickname, not user ID (because ???), so if your nick seems like something that's super common please temporarily change it to something more unique so we can actually find you.

Rahk

The fact that the game is entirely in Japanese is a little bit daunting, but I'm getting sick of PAD and this game looks super hype so I'll give it a shot. The music is definitely really good! (at least the few songs I've heard)

I used Antialias's code for my referrer. My code is: gde30d9.
I used this code. Mine is: fd57b03.

My username is Rahk if anyone wants to add me to friends or whatever.

Cbajd5

So i'm having a good amount of fun so far, learning a bit about Poker hands, usually not screwing everything up, running the last 2 star stage (Blue version? I swear it was red for the first time I did it and then it's been blue since.) a lot, getting a lot of blue Evo materials by doing that, and got 40 stones and did my first 11 roll. Got 1 SS, 1 S, and 9 R cards, so now my deck currently looks like this:

Ryt7vml.png

Now I'm just waiting for my Stamina to refresh to start going into the 3 star stages.

Emalde

Ifrina (your ace) was my first SS as well, she's not bad! Will definitely make you less of an anchor to higher level people when your deck ends up being composed really oddly in the early game as you phase in/out gacha rolls.

No potential ?
Shame considering this is pretty polished.

Well the developer, Asobism, has only released one game in English ever, that being Freakyforms Deluxe. And as far as Japanese smartphone games go it only seems like ones from large companies (Gungho, Square-Enix) end up having staying power. Smaller ones either get picked up by giant conglomerate companies (then die due to mismanagement) or they try to self-publish (then die due to scalability). That's also not to mention there has been no indication of any sort of localization from Asobism.

---

Back to the game, in case it has not been abundantly clear the currently running event is REALLY FUCKING GOOD for powerleveling beyond the expected curve cause of all the mobs the final boss throws at you. Even if you can't actually make it all the way through you should still come out pretty full of EXP. Not to mention the Cherries that drop make good levelup fodder (if you evolve them to S) AND good skillup fodder (if you evolve them to SS). Run the highest difficulty you can be consistent on.

Totakeke

I started messing around with the game, but was confused by the loading that happens often and I have no idea what's happening. Definitely need to read up more (in English) but I'm intrigued by the game. Also I like the music.

When you go into a dungeon do you actually get placed into rooms where people are already halfway through the dungeon? That kinda confused me. Unfortunately I also don't have much time to play this now, can you elaborate on how to utilize the current running event? You seem to level up easily if you're new anyway.

My in game nick is Totakeke, don't know if that's common. :p

I started messing around with the game, but was confused by the loading that happens often and I have no idea what's happening. Definitely need to read up more (in English) but I'm intrigued by the game. Also I like the music.

When you go into a dungeon do you actually get placed into rooms where people are already halfway through the dungeon? That kinda confused me. Unfortunately I also don't have much time to play this now, can you elaborate on how to utilize the current running event? You seem to level up easily if you're new anyway.

My in game nick is Totakeke, don't know if that's common. :p

Friend request sent; just remember that accept is red and reject is blue lol

You can indeed get placed into dungeons halfway through completion. This can be good if you're only trying to farm dungeon treasure or only care about the drops from the final wave, but can be bad if you're trying to minmax stamina management to level up.

You don't really need to worry about not leveling up through regular dungeon runs for now, but much like in PAD that goes away soon enough. Unless you abuse the ridiculous EXP/stam ratio of the collab, of course.

The deal with the event dungeon (or deals, because there are multiple nuances) is that
- as soon as you hit the boss wave (and maybe even before) the game starts keeping track of various stats, like turns taken (that's what the counter on the bottom tracks), number and types of enemies defeated, and hands formed
- upon a successful clear of the dungeon, these stats are converted into a score. Starting with a score of 300, every 100 points for a new high score earn you Dragon Medals and Black Medals
-- for example, if you score 400 points on your first clear, you will unlock the rewards at the 300 point and 400 point tier. If you score 500 points the next time, you will unlock the 500 point tier rewards, but if you scored say 450 points, you unlock nothing
- additionally, every time you successfully clear a dungeon, your score is also added to a cumulative total of dungeon points (DP). You can spend these points on a special dungeon gacha accessible from the Special button from the main home screen.

- The dungeon gacha, as well as the first two waves in the dungeon itself, yield Cherries, mobs with two certain qualities: they are worth a LOT of exp when fed, and also give a chance to skill up the monster it's fed to. You can read up on skill ups in the miniguide.
- Like most other special fodder in the game, the materials required to evolve Cherries are other Cherries.
- Unlike the "crystal slimes" (as mentioned in the miniguide), you do NOT lose out on EXP evolving the cherries all the way to SS rarity. So it is to your benefit to evolve up five SS fairies then feed them to a monster all at once to maximize the chance for skillup.

- You also get placed onto a leaderboard comprised of players around your level, ranking players based on the highest number of points attained from the dungeon each day and over the course of the week. Placing well on the daily leaderboard earns you dragon medals, and placing well on the weekly leaderboard earns you black medals.
- Dragon Medals and Black Medals are spent at the Medal Exchange shop. Generally speaking, Black Medals are used to buy event monsters and evolution material to evolve said event monsters, while Dragon Medals are used to buy everything else.
-- I recommend buying the event monster Nimue and Nyanko (she's the green element catgirl) with your first ten black medals, because she has a great support skill and will be a great asset for your deck early on in the game. All the other event monsters are garbage, so save up any additional black medals you earn for a future date.
-- I recommend buying the SP skill "Shuffle 3+" with your dragon medals as soon as you are able to afford it. It is a staple skill for PVP, which will probably open up next week.

Emalde

- Unlike the "crystal slimes" (as mentioned in the miniguide), you do NOT lose out on EXP evolving the cherries all the way to SS rarity. So it is to your benefit to evolve up five SS fairies then feed them to a monster all at once to maximize the chance for skillup.

This is actually wrong, you do lose out on ~1000 EXP, but it's completely worth it due to the skillup chance.

Skye

Oh yeah, don't forget to mention your in-game nickname so we can invite you to English group chat. Game only allows search by nickname, not user ID (because ???), so if your nick seems like something that's super common please temporarily change it to something more unique so we can actually find you.

I changed my in game name to Skye@GAF, so hopefully you can invite me to the chat.

I got up to 40 stones, but I'm not sure when I should actually do an 11 roll. The mini-guide suggests doing so during a godfest (or whatever the equivalent is in this game) or when there's some sort of event that makes all rolls max level. How often does the latter occur, and how could I tell that such an event is going on?

Emalde

I changed my in game name to Skye@GAF, so hopefully you can invite me to the chat.

I got up to 40 stones, but I'm not sure when I should actually do an 11 roll. The mini-guide suggests doing so during a godfest (or whatever the equivalent is in this game) or when there's some sort of event that makes all rolls max level. How often does the latter occur, and how could I tell that such an event is going on?

Every weekend, and the "Gacha" button will be yellow. The catch on this is that most of the time, the switch they flip for monsters to come out preleveled/preskilled tends to happen on the weekdays outside of these fests. Right now it's yellow due to the collab event, but I believe there is also a boost event happening as well.

I'm not sure what Cosmo thinks, but I'd say you're about as safe as you can be currently by rolling on the Collab gacha right now (though i have no idea if there is an upcoming weekend fest in the first place due to the collab). We've determined that the collab monsters don't specifically suck, and the EXP fodder you get from it will help kickstart you a little. On the other hand, you don't get the slightly increased chances and guaranteed hits like you would for the weekend rolls (though these aren't always a good thing either).

Hige

Do I need to go through reset marathon rerolling bullshit just to make it?
Well, first off, the game binds an ID to your phone, so it appears to be impossible to reroll in this game.
Does that mean I can't transfer my save between my iPhone and iPad with something like iExplorer? I started the game on my phone and the text is practically microscopic, but it's the preferable device for portability reasons.

Does that mean I can't transfer my save between my iPhone and iPad with something like iExplorer? I started the game on my phone and the text is practically microscopic, but it's the preferable device for portability reasons.
You can use a transfer code to move your save between devices (not sure if there's a restriction on how often you're allowed to do it). From the menu button with a lot of options, click the sixth button, then the third dropdown, then eventually you'll see a thing to generate a passkey. Then on the new device, tap the bottom corner on the title screen where the text is and it'll prompt you for the passkey. Your save on your original device will disappear afterwards.

Hige

Gave it a try and it seems I can play on either device. My phone save didn't disappear even after I force quit the app and reopened. Thanks!

So for the collab app you just mindlessly go through every stage is it? I don't get the collecting part.
Well each stage has certain monsters that are featured in it, and spawn most commonly in it (and rarely in the stages near it). Each stage also has a rare mob which are predictably less prone to being handed to you. Monsters only get recorded in the book if you survive the stage with them intact or you sacrifice them with gacha bomb.

But yeah, it's a pretty mindless "game" and more tedious than difficult. Took me about two and a half hours to fill out the Drapo entries completely.

Emalde

The really stamina-expensive levels in 4*, 8*, and 12* at the bottom of the level list are where you farm rings. Mondays and Thursdays are Fire, Tuesdays and Friday are Water, Wednesday and Saturday are Grass (japan time).

Skye

The really stamina-expensive levels in 4*, 8*, and 12* at the bottom of the level list are where you farm rings. Mondays and Thursdays are Fire, Tuesdays and Friday are Water, Wednesday and Saturday are Grass (japan time).

48 stamina...yikes. At least I can abuse the event dungeon to level myself and increase my max stamina.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions! This game is certainly pretty addictive.

Antialias

I neglected to mention this before but my handle is Kuriboh ingame. Skye, I think I accidentally refused your friend request, sorry!

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
My nickname is &#12467;&#12450;&#12521;@GAF
Referral code is sa320c2

Used Hige's referral code!

AHHHHH. SOMEONE BROKE THE CHAIN.

Edit:

BTW, is there any special tips regarding leveling up cards? Like how in Puzzle & Dragons, you should level up monsters to a certain point in order to get the max amount of XP w/o diminishing returns? Or should you only use slimes? Etc.

Emalde

AHHHHH. SOMEONE BROKE THE CHAIN.

Edit:

BTW, is there any special tips regarding leveling up cards? Like how in Puzzle & Dragons, you should level up monsters to a certain point in order to get the max amount of XP w/o diminishing returns? Or should you only use slimes? Etc.

Only using crystal slimes (aka marons) or the "Cherries" (which are the feeder material of the current event).

What's the source of that webm?

No Game No Life.

Totakeke

Okay I finished the collab app, what now?

Edit: Tried to enter in the code from the collab app into the game under the ID box, doesn't work? :/

Hige

You have to go to &#12513;&#12491;&#12517;&#12540; then &#12471;&#12522;&#12450;&#12523; then click the banner for the collab promotion and enter the code there.

Totakeke

You have to go to &#12513;&#12491;&#12517;&#12540; then &#12471;&#12522;&#12450;&#12523; then click the banner for the collab promotion and enter the code there.

I think I'm at the right place, it says something like enter ID here right? I do see the banner with the cat guy. Doesn't work though, do I need to enter in some other I first?

Top Bottom