• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Octopath Traveler on Switch 2018, demo on eShop [Up: Surveys sent out]

Gaenor

Banned
Playing the game right now, it takes a while to get started (it's an RPG after all), but it looks sublime. The controller vibration is quite strong also !! Will buy for sure.

Music is great
Aesthetic is incredible; the look really works
Gorgeous map in the menu
Character sprites look a little soft/blurry and too small
Fonts seem too small as well
English VO is not good
Can't tell if this is 30fps... or lower

Music is great indeed.
I thought the size of the font was alright, in handheld mode at least.
The game is very bright at the center of the screen and very dark on the edges. Maybe it's just the town I'm in but I don't like that.
The menu map is gorgeous !!

Will def get this at some point. I like the art style for the most part but that hyper bloom lighting is putting me off. Getting some SD3 vibes from this one.

trixx

This looks interesting, Not a huge fan of the bland colouring but I kind of get what they're going for. The music is nice

Anyways I want to buy it.

Wow the game looks great in motion

Memory

Primrose's prologue is legit, VA, Music and story set up is nice. I really hope the story telling and script can stay on point as it seems like a game that really needs it.

The visuals of HD 2D looks great portable, I'll try it on tv tomorrow. I would kill for a Suikoden like this. Can't wait for the full game.

Honestly this graphical style is what I wished Tokyo RPG factory would go with instead of whatever the hell their current "style" is.

Robin64

The twist will be that "(working title)" will be part of the final name, on the box and everything, and then cleverly used ingame somehow to make us go "Ohhhhhh!"

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This looks really fucking good. May be time to pick up a Switch soon. I'd also like to say I'd be totally fine if Final Fantasy 16 was a throwback like FF9 was and done using this style of 2D HD. I don't expect it all but folks can dream.

Piscus

I think the voice acting is pretty good, actually. I was surprised, haha.

edit: well, good except for Philip, it turns out...

Shahadan

Okay I'm buying this as soon as we're able to
Don't even need to finish the demo

Phillip's voice acting is hilarious though

Seik

Banned
Anyone else's download taking forever? Mine's still at 3%.
tumblr_nyd6gz81ak1s9y3qio2_500.gif

MTC100

Banned
Edit: still can't get over that title though, I know it's a working title but uhhh xD

Well it's 8 stories(Octo) that unfold(path) and they are all about characters that travel(traveller) to the same destination.

It's a classic project title I think, let's hope they come up with a catchy name for the final game. -If not, it will still be a great game from the looks of it.

so this is actually developed by acquire & not silicon studios or what?
So I wonder if that drawing is just for fun, or if this game actually takes place in the same universe pre-Bravely Default.

I'm leaning towards "just for fun", but I wouldn't mind being wrong!

just for fun most likely

Milennia

loving it so far, started with primrose and the voice acting is great, in motion this game works so well

also yay for toggled rp walk button

they really setup the scenario well with her i fucking hate this guy

mazillion

I'm walking around the town at the beginning right now, the graphics are absolutely amazing. The transitions between outside and inside houses is pretty neat and totally seamless. The framerate seems weird... Hard to tell but I want to say it's above 30 and under 60fps, the frame rate is steady otherwise.

The voice acting in the opening cutscene was great and I think they're all the main characters. But I thought the little kid voice actor sounded pretty bad so it could be hit or miss with English, too soon to tell though.

There is a toggle or English or Japanese voices though so that's nice.

The story is seems like the usual JRPG stuff so far but it's presented really well so I don't mind.

Now to find some battles.

ghibli99

???? So far the only VA I'd say is not so great is Philip (Playing Olberic). I'd go as far to say that it's great.
Just sounds like slow overacting to me, but I'm reading that there's a Japanese VO option? Will have to check that out...

This game has a lot of potential I feel. The art style isn't wowing me like others but it still looks pretty and I like the idea of 'HD-2D', I'd love a potential Chrono Trigger remake to be like this but with the art direction of that game. The 8 characters idea is novel too, I'll definitely try the demo tomorrow!

Top Bottom