• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

Arnie

How someone claimed they'd beaten it thoroughly in 20 hours is absurd, simply absurd.

I got the game yesterday and between then and now I must've but in around 10-12 hours (quite appalled with myself) and I'm still only at Chapter 1. I've been doing everything I can, and exploring Flotsam at my own leisure, crafting items, speaking to people and completing sidequests.

I've just *Chapter 1 spoiler
killed the Kayran and started the Roses of Remembrance quest
and my god this game is brilliant. I've honestly lost all faith in humanity seeing Mass Effect 3 have a higher Metacritic, especially as I'm fresh off beating that game last week.

I'd quite happily say, 10 hours in, on Chapter 1 of Act 1 that this is the best RPG I've ever played, by a mile.

Einbroch

Banned
Neat. Two minutes into the game and already have a bug.

Telling me to parry and wait for the symbol in order to riposte. Except I'm parrying and the symbol isn't appearing. Can't continue my game until I can riposte, except it's not letting me.

Ugh.

If you import a character that had aerondil (sp? the sword the lady of the lake gave you i think) it returns to your sheath after you lose it in the beginning. Its part of its magic i think.
I think that scene is programmed to take the default Witcher 2 silver sword no matter what. So it takes it out of your inventory even though it's not the one equipped.

C-Jo

Picked up the 360 version yesterday. I can't believe how much stuff is included in the box for $45.

Anyway, it's a shame you can't adjust camera sensitivity. I haven't gotten motion sickness from a game since Descent, but this game is trying its best!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

Telling me to parry and wait for the symbol in order to riposte. Except I'm parrying and the symbol isn't appearing. Can't continue my game until I can riposte, except it's not letting me.

Ugh.

the symbol is supposed to appear for a very brief period of time. Like VERY brief.

Enkidu

I think that scene is programmed to take the default Witcher 2 silver sword no matter what. So it takes it out of your inventory even though it's not the one equipped.
It's probably also a bug that CD Project didn't bother fixing, because even bringing the sword into the game would be quite useless if you still lost it in the prologue.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Where the hell are the Nekker nests? I'm in some tunnel that was defended/swarmed with nekkers and there is nothing that resembles a nest/entrance.

ced

I love the traps (only have conflagration so far) in this game, or they way they look. Obvious yes, but cool as shit nonetheless.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
buy the book on Nekkers. It will tell you how to fight them.

1)fast attacks with heavy finishers when it's appropriate
2)quen or fire
3)bombs
4)conflagration traps

rSpooky

Ugh.

I had the exact same problem. Keep your parry up all the time and watch the belly of the enemy. It is very short and brief and indeed a little fustrating.

despire

Missed my chance to buy the Dark Edition, would've liked the extras.

One shop still has the PC Nordic version for sale around here for under 30€. Would it be worth buying for the extras? It has the making of the DVD, soundtrack, game guide, manual, map, envelope and a coin, five foldable paper dolls.

Getting the EE for Xbox.

Is there any other way to get the 50 song soundtrack and the HD artwork than buying the whole game from GOG?

http://www.verkkokauppa.com/files/images/87/2_130109-1911x1380.jpeg

Edit:
If I buy the old Nordic Edition, can I somehow redeem it on GOG and download the extras from there?

Mainly meaning this:
http://www.gog.com/en/witcher2/backup/

Salaadin

On Dark Mode? I haven't even gotten out of my Witcher upgrades yet, so these Nekkers are shitting down my throat.

Nekkers are horrible on Dark. There are so many and they just overwhelm you. Any AOE attacks (bombs) are helpful because it lets you separate them some.

On Dark Mode? I haven't even gotten out of my Witcher upgrades yet, so these Nekkers are shitting down my throat.
No normal, the rest of the game is easier than I expected, but I'll save hard mode for the second playthrough, I probably won't ever do dark.

How's the art style? One of the issues I have with western RPGs (minus Mass Effect & Fallout) is that the mid evil European art style seems very generic. How would you guys rate it?

Edit: how would guys describe the art design?

pakkit

Banned
I suck at the combat in this game. When do you get the time to lay traps? Is there no ability to crouch or sneak? Do you flee from enemies often to get space between you? I keep getting in closed-quarters fights where I get boxed in and slain.

Minsc

Gold Member
It appeared once, then hasn't appeared again. It's most definitely a bug.

Reloaded, same thing. Will appear once, then never again, not letting me move on.

You can't parry if you have no stamina bars right? Or did that get changed... with quen on you won't regen stamina, could that be it?

lifa-cobex

Dunno if anyone else has experienced this yet but enemy's don't sometimes attack unless i execute the first move?
Noticed more popins than before too.

on pc btw

smr00

Banned
So how frustrating/difficult is the combat on 360? as someone who isn't the best at video games and defiantly isn't the best at action RPG's like this am i going to get stuck alot?

ced

So how frustrating/difficult is the combat on 360? as someone who isn't the best at video games and defiantly isn't the best at action RPG's like this am i going to get stuck alot?

It's hard at certain spots so far, especially the prologue.

You can change difficulty as you wish, and easy is really easy. Normal has been challenging but fun.

How's the art style? One of the issues I have with western RPGs (minus Mass Effect & Fallout) is that the mid evil European art style seems very generic. How would you guys rate it?

Visually is quite simply the best and more consistent Medieval world ever conceived in a videogame. I think I helps that the game is actually made by Europeans, and not some American sci-fi artists pulling chain-mail bikinis out of their asses.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
the game is awesome so far apart from the very shit map

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
"To paradise on whores asses!"

Please change the thread title to this. Such a great quest, can't believe I missed this last time.

smr00

Banned
It's hard at certain spots so far, especially the prologue.

You can change difficulty as you wish, and easy is really easy. Normal has been challenging but fun.
Might have to pick this up today, i keep hearing you have to remember a lot of things within the game and what not to progress (i think it was the IGN review) which scares me, since i have a problem remembering things, especially little things like names etc.

Is that a problem? i remember a review i watched (pretty sure it was ign) was talking about you need to remember names of people and places and what not, not a huge deal, i can always pen and paper stuff down.

Should be a difficulty level to match all skills. Don't be afraid/ashamed to take it all the way down, the story is worth it.

Berto

I'm replaying in Dark Mode, feels so good, perfect difficulty. I just finished that elven girl (Marla?) quest and the fight i had with the nekkers on the cave was glorious (used potions, oils and traps).
Felt good not to fall on her trap later on :D

Might have to pick this up today, i keep hearing you have to remember a lot of things within the game and what not to progress (i think it was the IGN review) which scares me, since i have a problem remembering things, especially little things like names etc.

Is that a problem? i remember a review i watched (pretty sure it was ign) was talking about you need to remember names of people and places and what not, not a huge deal, i can always pen and paper stuff down.

The game has a journal written by one of the characters, anything you need to remember is there.

inky

The art design is probably the best thing about the game. There is a lot of detail put into things like armor, cloth/fabrics, weapons and environments. I don't really think it feels generic at all, if anything it feels authentic and like others said it doesn't fall into the trap of making them overtly ridiculous like the bone armor in Skyrim or stuff like that. It's consistent and characters don't feel out of place within the world. The forests are lush with tall trees that really block the light, there are great vistas and a lot of attention has been put into the different areas, for example a field camp or a castle have different color schemes. It also has a very cool mix of almost pastel colored lighting that make it very vibrant, so it's not your typical greys and browns medieval color palette. It is a very colorful game. You should watch some screens and videos.

RedSwirl

Visually is quite simply the best and more consistent Medieval world ever conceived in a videogame. I think I helps that the game is actually made by Europeans, and not some American sci-fi artists pulling chain-mail bikinis out of their asses.

Yeah I was gonna say something like this. I'd still describe it as medieval European art, but TW2's art actually looks European instead of some generic modern representation of it. At the same time though, the production art has more of an edge to it. You can definitely tell that this game wasn't made by your typical North American or Japanese RPG dev.

World Map for instance:
32997witcher2-2011-03-3u6w.jpg

legbone

all right. i joined the club. never played a witcher title before. so i watched some videos about the first game to catch up on the story and then picked this up on my lunch break. just did the tutorial and while it seems complex it is not as near as bad as some people made it out to be. combat that is. went ahead and started on normal. i can always bump it down to easy if need be. i have no shame. anyway this game has an awesome feel to it. love the humor and the atmosphere. is it just me, or does the witcher give people a crazy look every once and a while. kind of a wild "crazy eyes killer" look for those that know curb your enthusiasm. it may be my imagination but it still cracks me up.

quick question for you witcher experts:

i plan on focusing on swordplay mostly but will also upgrade the bombs and traps a little in the alchemy (i think) tree. is this i viable method? i hate to neglect magic but i am more of a warrior type when it comes to rpgs. i don't play many but when i do it's normally boring old sword and board (except for amalur, daggers/bow all the way). but anyway, will this work?

smr00

Banned
But i like chain-mail bikinis :3

Defiantly going to have to pick it up, for the last couple of months i have been addicted to the song of ice and fire books (half-way through a feast of crows) burnt through the first season twice on blu-ray and on season 2 and although this isn't the same i have that medieval/fantasy bug, like i can't get enough of it.

I need to get some coffee in me so i can buck up and haul ass to best buy, one last question to people who have played this, is there any water moments in the game? like swimming, going under water or giant fucking monsters coming out of the water? silly fear but i have trouble with games that take place in or on water that have giant monster battles, it fucking freaks me out.

It's stupid i know but i shouted and threw my controller when a shark jumped out in the batman game, i am a complete pussy when it comes to scary moments in video games which is odd since i am a horror movie fanatic.

owlbeak

Speaking of the map, what is that compass looking object on the right that moves around a bit? I wasn't sure what it was supposed to be.

Kyaw

quick question for you witcher experts:

i plan on focusing on swordplay mostly but will also upgrade the bombs and traps a little in the alchemy (i think) tree. is this i viable method? i hate to neglect magic but i am more of a warrior type when it comes to rpgs. i don't play many but when i do it's normally boring old sword and board (except for amalur, daggers/bow all the way). but anyway, will this work?

Yes, it will work but you will want to get some points into Quen.
It literally is a life saving magical ability.

Enkidu

I just played through the tutorial and it recommended Insane. Should I go for it?
On my first play through I went pretty much exclusively sword for most of the game and it was more than viable. The only "mandatory" talent is the roll distance one, which is already in the sword tree (but get that one first, it's great). Don't be afraid of the magic though, it's still very much about using your swords, there is pretty much no way of making a pure mage in this game.

Top Bottom