• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance Burning Skies |OT| Extinguishing the Flames of Vitality

AwRy108

So what the census. Is it worth $40?

Depends how you define worth.

For $40, you get a 5-6 hour campaign that's easy, linear, has a dreadful "story", and is all-around mediocre; and you also get an online mode that's fun for a handheld game, but, when compared to similar experiences on the consoles, it comes across as very basic. Oh, and you also get an easy Platinum, if Trophies are your thing.

IMHO, I'd wait for the game to hit $30 or less, which it'll do as soon as the Vita library starts to grow again.

Depends how you define worth.

For $40, you get a 5-6 hour campaign that's easy, linear, has a dreadful "story", and is all-around mediocre; and you also get an online mode that's fun for a handheld game, but, when compared to similar experiences on the consoles, it comes across as very basic. Oh, and you also get an easy Platinum, if Trophies are your thing.

IMHO, I'd wait for the game to hit $30 or less, which it'll do as soon as the Vita library starts to grow again.

I'm with you $40 seems a bit high for a 5 hour campaign, but in the end I only paid $20 since I had some BB credit. Plus I just finished R3 and wanted to destroy more Chimera.

kodt

Banned
Code:
Played the demo.

Good:

1. Framerate was solid
2. Shooter controls worked well on Vita
3. Demo was a decent length.
4. Some things look nice graphically

Bad:

1. Generic setting and encounters
2. Lame story
3. Overall, kind of boring
4. Some things look really bad graphically

I don't think I would buy it unless it was $5.

FireCloud

The IGN review called it formulaic, OK I'll agree. But what is the problem with that? I bought it to have a portable FPS I could take anywhere. I wanted that same "formula" with me in a portable. I wasn't looking for the next new idea in FPS game play.

I enjoyed it. The game really feels like a Resistance title.

These are my thoughts exactly. It is what I expected from this title.

So what the census. Is it worth $40?

If I was going to rate it I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10. I haven't finished the single player campaign yet. I've played both the single and multiplayer for several hours. I've got the last two story trophies to go (the last one listed and the hidden one I suspect is for the final level). Unless the game drastically gets worse in the next couple of chapters, I have to say that it is worth $40.

IMO, the story isn't that bad and doesn't drag the game down for me. But for those in it for the story alone I can see how it has gotten some of the lower review scores, 7 ok, 6 maybe. But the guy who gave it a 2 was just being a troll. A 2 would mean that the game was horribly broken which is definitely not the case with Burning Skies.

....my $0.02.

Tambini

I'm enjoying it but..I appear to be unable to kill anyone in multiplayer.

I see a sniper standing still so I knife him then unload a full round into him but he never dies, just turns around and kills me. I've played 3 games and nothing so far....

The single player is fun though, my expectations weren't really high so I'm not dissapointed!

mik

mik is unbeatable
Got the platinum last night. It's the easiest platinum to get by far, I think.

I really enjoyed it, but it's not great. I'd wait for it to drop to $20-25. Great proof that FPS can have a nice home on the Vita, though.

daviyoung

Banned
I'm enjoying it but..I appear to be unable to kill anyone in multiplayer.

I see a sniper standing still so I knife him then unload a full round into him but he never dies, just turns around and kills me. I've played 3 games and nothing so far....

The single player is fun though, my expectations weren't really high so I'm not dissapointed!

There are a lot of glitches in multiplayer, and that's not counting connection issues. I've tried shooting people who absorb my whole clip, then turn around and one-shot me with their gun. I've seen people stand still invincible while their 'ghost' runs around fragging everyone without their knowledge. Headshots seem to work whenever they feel like. It's all pretty buggy. Seems like the fun-destroying shotgun has been toned down now though, so everyone runs around with the rail gun instead.

How is the MP? I rented the game and really like the feeling. The story, AI and realisation suck, but these are non issue in a good MP. So, is it worth paying that 10€ online pass? :p How is the matchmaking?

Cudder

How is the MP? I rented the game and really like the feeling. The story, AI and realisation suck, but these are non issue in a good MP. So, is it worth paying that 10€ online pass? :p How is the matchmaking?

as barebones as multiplayer can get, but it works well on the Vita and is a great way to pass the time.

Amory

I'm really enjoying Burning Skies so far. It's not that it's a particularly great shooter, but just the novelty of having a full FPS experience on a handheld is pretty awesome. It's hopefully a sign of good things to come. Also, god I love the guns in the resistance series. Whatever their flaws, the guns are always fun to shoot. Every FPS should have the auger and the bullseye.

Between this and Gravity Rush I'm psyched to have a reason to dust off my vita. But man, play sessions longer than about 10-15 minutes really cramp my hands something awful. It's bad.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, I was just playing Nova 3 on my phone and said. "@&!# this, I can't take this horrible controls anymore" and I had an urge to buy this. But with Gravity Rush so close... should I just wait a few more hours? My Vita deserves some love.

newsguy

Let me mirror what many others have said. The final boss fight can ruin the rest of the game. I had to repeat it about 40 times. There's some fundamental design flaws with just that part. It's like they did QC and then shoehorned that boss in. What a fucking misery.

Seventy5

Let me mirror what many others have said. The final boss fight can ruin the rest of the game. I had to repeat it about 40 times. There's some fundamental design flaws with just that part. It's like they did QC and then shoehorned that boss in. What a fucking misery.
That stupid boss took me over 20 attempts my first time through, I wanted to throw the game out the fucking window. When the mp patch came out, it kept freezing, so I deleted the game data....which also deleted my game save. So I ran through the game again, beat that fucker on my first try. I didn't realize until my second run that you are wasting ammo if you shoot the glowy bits when they aren't actually glowing. Still, stupid design choice, they really needed better indicators that it was taking damage. Same thing follows into mp. I really have fun playing online, but there is almost no indication that you are taking damage until you're dead or damn near dead.

Massa

New trailer is out.

The reason I'm posting it: Is it just me, or is it kind of tasteless? Using what looks like a real life memorial to promote a game comes off kind of weird to me.

Carl

[/QUOTE]
last boss... anyone else want to throw their Vita in frustration?
how the hell do you dodge/protect?

Why do you want to throw your Vita? I did it on the first try.

Get our your (I forget the name. The huge machine gun) out and just don't stop moving.

Well that was an easy Platinum! Had a great time playing it. Wonder what the trade in value of this baby is. I think BB is still doing the +100%.

The game is not AAA amazing but a great look on how a FPS would and probably should work on Vita.

I loved that running was mapped to D-pad down, your thumb is really close to that and you can keep your right hand on the stick+face buttons. Should work great in other FPSes and I hope devs take notice.

Or at least give me the option to map it to D-pad down.

Rented this from Gamefly and I want to check out the multiplayer, but I'm not sure it warrants a $10 online pass. Does anyone have a pass they're not using and would be willing to give me? It would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Last boss is pretty easy..just keep moving, stay towards the back, and shoot all the ammo they give you.

Yep, saw people complaining and was dreading it but found it okay.

Overall my thoughts on the game :-

Positives:-
+ Shows FPS on Vita works (most important thing out of this game)
+ Cool Resistance Weapons to play with, thought touchscreen worked well in general
+ Enemy encounters
+ Weapon and Chimera models
+ Graphics (Inside)
+ Upgrades, nice idea, some more useful than other

Indifferent:-
= Story, it had potential, underdeveloped IMO, but feel we could see Tom Riley again down the road
= Difficulty, mixed the good with the bad,
that chamber in one of the last areas with enemies coming all round was a pain in the ass, had to memorize where they were coming to get through
= General level design, interesting at points
(GW Bridge, SRPA)
, not great at others
(last level very tame IMO)
= Multiplayer, not a huge multi-fan in general, played it and enjoyed it, found it a bit surreal to be playing a FPSmulti like that to be honest but means COD could be huge if marketed right.

Negatives:-
- Graphics (Outside)
- Human models (I think there was like, what, 4 or 5 and that's it and still didn't look all that good)
- Using touchscreen in the heat of a fight (Auger shield!!)
- Weapons sounds, what happened to the Bullseye and the (gah can't remember the name right now, mind has gone blank) but the gatling gun type thing - wasn't even sure if it was making a noise half the time.

In summary, as a Resistance fan I enjoyed it as I like the universe and the overarching story. Non-resistance fans may not enjoy it but I still think it's a good game regardless. Probably 7.5/10 for me as the positives that are there far outweigh the negatives. Nihilistic have got a lot of stick but I think they did a good job. I wouldn't go as far as to say I'd hand them the franchise just yet but (pending sales of course) I wouldn't object to them getting another crack at it. I can't speak for the US but at home I was surprised by just how many people were playing this game via Near so maybe it has done well in sales in some places.

Fun game, bit short, good gameplay, next FPS on Vita please!

And platinum. I don't usually try to plat games but by the end I only had 2 trophies left so I figured I might as well.
Overall mediocre.
MP BORED me to tears and I was a big resistance 1 (and slightly less 2) fan. Small amount of ppl meh. But Its a good rent. Definitely getting shinobido instead though.

enewtabie

Just got my first Platinum ever on this game. I think I got almost everything but the Impaler/Heatstacks trophies on the first play through. It wasn't a bad game.

Amory

Am I the only one still playing a decent amount of the multiplayer in this game? It's pretty bare bones but I love playing it before I fall asleep. Just mindless fun...

This nice looking level was showcased at gamescom and wasn't even in the game,the sound effects got a major downgrade and the cfg weapon isn't in the game too wtf? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFr5x7vwZTQ&feature=g-hist

Yeah I've already mentioned this. It's annoying that there's been no explanation given why this content was cut or stuff like the sound effects downgraded.

But in some promising news Nihilistic have mentioned on their twitter profile that a new patch has been submitted to Sony testing. The only thing confirmed at the moment is the inclusion of southpaw which came from Yoshida himself. There are no other details or release info.

I just bought this at the weekend; it's currently £10 or £9 with Plus on the UK PSN store. I'm only on the third level I think and I like it so far. It's not amazing and I don't think I'd feel as lenient were it not on the Vita, but yeah - so far I'm enjoying this. Feels a lot like a Resistance game; a little bit compromised overall, but a decent game all the same.

Busty

Banned
I just bought this at the weekend; it's currently £10 or £9 with Plus on the UK PSN store.

I'm thinking about picking this up as I played the other three Resistance games on the PS3 but can someone tell me what the status of the online MP is?

Are there still some people playing or is it totally deserted at this point? I've heard middling reports about the MP but it's still going to play a big part in my decision to buy it.

I'm thinking about picking this up as I played the other three Resistance games on the PS3 but can someone tell me what the status of the online MP is?

Are there still some people playing or is it totally deserted at this point? I've heard middling reports about the MP but it's still going to play a big part in my decision to buy it.

Only buy it for the singleplayer. If you want a good multiplayer, pick up Killzone Mercenary instead.

Finished this last night. A playable little game, but unremarkable in almost every regard and I felt like it could have done with another six months in the oven. The plot is absolute balls, the visuals are middling and look very dated next to Killzone Mercenary, the sound effects lack any kind of bite, and I encountered a lot of glitches where I was getting shot through scenery. But, like all Resistance games, the weapons are great, there's a nice mix in enemy variety and I like the '50s atmosphere which makes it feel pretty distinct (even though the last couple of levels take place in generic spaceships). It's not a bad game, just not particularly good either. I felt like there were some control compromises, and it definitely felt rushed in some regards. It was worth the £9 I paid, but I'm going to delete it tonight and I'll probably forget about it by tomorrow.

I just need to play one game of the multiplayer to get my first Vita Platinum. It's astonishingly easy to get all the campaign trophies.

Platinumed, and deleted. Middle-of-the-road, playable and fairly fun, but I can see why it got the critical reception it did and probably sent the franchise into an open grave.

I quite liked the multiplayer, simple as it was. Probably because I had a very good k/d ratio in the one match I was able to actually finish. Killzone Mercenary will be my go-to MP game on the Vita though.

Suirrad

Sorry for the useless bump.

Anyone care to help me out with the one online match trophy? I cant get a multiplayer game going (understandably) I just want to get this last trophy and be done. Thanks.

camo

Sorry for the useless bump.

Anyone care to help me out with the one online match trophy? I cant get a multiplayer game going (understandably) I just want to get this last trophy and be done. Thanks.

Did you get this? If not I need it too! my psn is camo_kill.

Any takers?

Top Bottom