• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Give me a reason why Darth Vader isn't the coolest villain ever

vuwIMr0HLgB9jUNTLv8YynGBUKOHlYKRRjoDR3KWW-pIvZy-b3gXsIuugvK5Roq1dmNOqIioNa20-TI9tsslprwaotgwdADAc00W89I=w320-h180-nc

WinFonda

opinions I guess, I don't think he looks cool at all... he looks cheap and plasticky, like a guy in a halloween costume... very much a product of his times

and i think his heavy breathing is dorky

aside from that he does sound cool though

Everyone citing Rogue One forgets that Vader fails, like he fails in A New Hope. Even his son would rather jump into a pit than spend time with him.

He usually just walked slowly around and had his plans constantly foiled.

Him getting shot at the end of Episode IV and being sent into a tailspin was hilarious.

jett

D-Member
opinions I guess, I don't think he looks cool at all... he looks cheap and plasticky, like a guy in a halloween costume... very much a product of his times

and i think his heavy breathing is dorky

aside from that he does sound cool though

I don't either. He looks silly.

latest

His voice I only like post-ANH. James Earl Jones put on a strange inflection in ANH, which I find kinda funny at times. It's completely gone in ESB though, he plays Vader a good deal more seriously.

Steel

Banned
He's iconic, looks good, but is more of an obstacle for 90% of the trilogy than an agent, other than at the end.

I like Vader but I wouldn't even say he's the best star wars villain(KOTOR 2 comes to mind)

I don't either. He looks silly.

latest

I like him a lot in the original series, but Rogue One really made me realize how cheesy his costume is when they were trying so hard to make him look like a menacing badass in all his scenes.

"oooh, lets have him living in a castle surrounded by lava! That's so cool!"

Pizza

tumblr_oli1xeO7QJ1rn2chmo2_500.gif

Because he's not Dio

tumblr_oaqudtaUPQ1rn2chmo1_540.gif

Or kira

Hell yeah jojo rocks

Also Dragonball has some sweet villains, I really like Lord Beerus, Emperor Pilaf, Piccolo, and General Red (vegeta is cool too)

Speaking of vegeta, ShadOw the Edgehog is honestly one of my fav antagonists.

He was created as a "perfect life form" so that Eggman's grandpa could use him to figure out how to cure the Sonic version of AIDS for his niece. Buuuut Gerald Robotnik couldn't figure it out (mad a gross dinosaur instead) and only made Shadow after enlisting the help of a mega evil alien version of the NiGHTS antagonist. Part of the deal was that the alien would come back later, grab the chaos emeralds, and do what he wants with the earth and shadow. Gerald says "ok" and builds a giant space colony/laser with his face on it to wreck the alien whenever he comes back

The world government hears about this and fucking storms the space station, slaughters everyone, and cryofreezes Shadow. Guy wakes up with fumbled memories and vows to enact revenge on the earth until he realizes that's not at all what Maria (the AIDS niece) wanted. Does a heel turn, goes super saiyan and dies heroically stopping the space colony from crashing into earth thanks to that gross dinosaur from earlier

Next game, he comes back with no memories and is revealed to be an android, then he comes back for real with guns and uses the space colony to kill the aliens

Then he's like a spy or something

I dig it, he even says that he's the coolest out loud

womp

"oooh, lets have him living in a castle surrounded by lava! That's so cool!"

That was actually something that was cut from Return of the Jedi. Lucas had that idea for Vader way back when and they just decided to regurgitate it for use in Rogue One. Much like how they are rummaging through McQuarrie's old cutting floor design sketches.

BibiMaghoo

His mask is timeless and iconic, but his chestpiece is poor by today's standards. It looks like it came from the era the film was made, and forever will.

jett

D-Member
Because it looks shit? Like some arcade / fruit machine buttons stuck to his chest. It did not age well, where as the rest still looks great.

I wonder what could a re-imagined Vader look like, one that fans could agree on. Probably an impossibility. :p That control panel sticking out of his chest really looks like shit, among other things.

He needs his helmet waxed with woodoo hide.

Not many beat this fellow:

giphy.gif

I bet the T-800 would be considered one of the most threatening villains ever if Arnold disappeared after 1984.

The image of Arnold as that goofy guy that is built like a brick shithouse is so ingrained into pop-culture it's difficult to see past it when rewatching the Terminator.

blakep267

Eh like he wasn't the main guy. He had a boss. That knocks him down severely. Also he didn't do enough IMO. Somebody like Ledgers joker had no boss and didntons of stuff

jviggy43

I'll give you several.

He was a whiny little bitch.
He was tricked by the most obvious plan of all time.
He killed the Jedi for no reason.
He was a puppet of the emperor

blakep267

I wonder what could a re-imagined Vader look like, one that fans could agree on. Probably an impossibility. :p That control panel sticking out of his chest really looks like shit, among other things.
Look at Kylo ten. He looks menacing yet his costume is sleek and stylish. Vader looks slow, clunky and his helmet is stupid. Ren is what Vader should look like

Top Bottom