• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN talks briefly about Nintendo Revolution

SantaC

The text in bold caught my attention. I wonder what deep water Nintendo has given themselves into. I also wonder if it will pay off. Should be interesting to follow.

Matt said:
And then there is the great unknown: the Nintendo Revolution. This is the Nintendo-given codename for the successor to GameCube, which is slated for release in 2006; it will go toe-to-toe with Sony's forthcoming PlayStation 3 console. (Incidentally, Microsoft will allegedly launch the follow-up to Xbox sometime this holiday season.) We've read all sorts of mistranslated comments about the machine and we've also spoken with development studios that are only just starting to learn about its technical capabilities.

Frankly, there's not much to say, except that it's going to be different from just about anything Nintendo has done before -- so original, in fact, that it may buck the designs of current consoles in favor of a whole new gameplay dynamic. Sounds, uh, revolutionary. I'm still not sure what to think of the machine, and I'm sure most of you feel the same way. But 2005 is a very important year in this regard because in just four months Nintendo will tell us its vision for the console. It could be the greatest thing ever. Or maybe not. But at least we'll finally know. I have to say that as a longtime Nintendo fan, I'm pretty excited.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/579/579309p1.html

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
powerglove.jpg

Fuck controllers, we're talking Exclusive Dual Power Glove Control, bitches.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
And then there is the great unknown: the Nintendo Revolution. This is the Nintendo-given codename for the successor to GameCube, which is slated for release in 2006; it will go toe-to-toe with Sony's forthcoming PlayStation 3 console.
OMGWTF

Cain

Haha.

Anyway, I had thought up a not-so-realistic idea at another forum when discussing the loss of the A and B buttons. It would be cool, but not so plausible for there to be a touch-screen like pad on the controller, and you map out and position the buttons as you like (and obviously save the layouts for later use).

I wasn't being too serious when I thought it up, but it would be rad, you have to admit.

Diffense

Whatever advancement Nintendo is experimenting with will likely be in the interface and controller. I suspect standard controllers will also be available (if ports are to be at all feasible). The DS has a touch screen but it also has standard buttons and a D-pad.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
its gonna be totally revolutionary and change the face of gaming. just like the ds....

Socreges

Banned
Frankly, there's not much to say, except that it's going to be different from just about anything Nintendo has done before -- so original, in fact, that it may buck the designs of current consoles in favor of a whole new gameplay dynamic.
Yes, and cities are presently being built with the Segway in mind...

border

Get that hype train rollin', IGN!

Am I the only one that remembers.........

"NEXT GENERATION"? TRY "NEW GENERATION"!!

op_ivy said:
its gonna be totally revolutionary and change the face of gaming. just like the ds....

I dont remember Nintendo ever calling the DS any kind of revolution. Last I remember they were calling it the 3rd pillar gaming device than only 10% of the people might like...

doncale

Banned
meh. I need more than that, Matt Cass. is that ALL you can tell us about Revolution right now? I want some features on Revolution like we had when Dolphin was a big mystery.

I guess it's too early for that :/

bitwise

Banned
seismologist said:
I dont remember Nintendo ever calling the DS any kind of revolution. Last I remember they were calling it the 3rd pillar gaming device than only 10% of the people might like...

"The Nintendo DS's greatest features are its revolutionary control schemes, such as the touch-sensitive screen and the microphone input," Iwata said during a press conference at CEATEC, a large technology conference taking place here this week. "And its other major feature is the wireless connection. With it, we're going to revolutionize the way that games are played.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
bitwise said:
"The Nintendo DS's greatest features are its revolutionary control schemes, such as the touch-sensitive screen and the microphone input," Iwata said during a press conference at CEATEC, a large technology conference taking place here this week. "And its other major feature is the wireless connection. With it, we're going to revolutionize the way that games are played.
:lol :lol

OH SNAP!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
doncale said:
nes-max.jpg

^example of an inovative, rev/evolutionarly controller that was actually good.

Example of the opposite:

nes_uforce_stick.jpg

Holy shit what if the control method of the new millenium is:
-ROB
-wearing Dual Power Gloves
-punching at a U-Force Screen.

!!!!!!!

Amir0x

Banned
bitwise said:

This, class, is a type A exhibit of what we call "ownage." Please note the subtle bolding and sharp accuracy of the way bitwise approached the process with which he owned seismologist. It is to be commended.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
I absolutely despise the codename "Revolution". It's so fucking arrogant. Next thing you know, Sony will start talking about their next system, "Messiah."

Amir0x

Banned
Minotauro said:
I absolutely despise the codename "Revolution". It's so fucking arrogant. Next thing you know, Sony will start talking about their next system, "Messiah."

Their next codename is Y.H.W.H..

Hollywood

Banned
I predict 20 games a year for this machine. Only the steel balled would go into the territory of supporting this machine. Someone spill some info on this thing already.

DJPS2

Banned
Minotauro said:
I absolutely despise the codename "Revolution". It's so fucking arrogant.

It's not so bad... maybe someone at Nintendo took a liking to Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime. :lol :lol

Odnetnin

Banned
I think Revolution is going to ruin Nintendo. Seriously kill them. PS3 it is then.

* FUCK IGN AND THEIR NO NEWS ARTICLES

mCACGj

Hollywood said:
I predict 20 games a year for this machine. Only the steel balled would go into the territory of supporting this machine. Someone spill some info on this thing already.

Cause you know what the thing does...and you know what this machine is...oh wait. No, you then asked for people to spill info about it. That's logical.

Amir0x

Banned
bitwise said:
the Nintendo "Savior" :lol

And then Microsoft's codename will be "Lucifer." And later on they'll have a tagline that says "For true gaming, there is no power greater than darkness."

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
bitwise said:

Man, fuck Randy Nelson's rendition of Snake Eater... YOU are my new hero.

Seismologist so quiet. So sad.

Amir0x

Banned
Minotauro said:
Heh. How's that pronounced?

Good question. The truth is, nobody knows exactly how to pronounce it. It can also be YHVH or JHVH or JHWH, all which are the Hebrew Tetragrammaton representing the name of God. The general consensus is "Yah-weh", however. Commonly rendered today as "Jehovah". But it's not 100% certain.

Tetragrammaton.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
goomba said:
bitwise didnt provide a link to that quote....

To formally claim he owned him, he needs the link.

This is a good point. In order to certify the ownage we do require a link.

shuri

Banned
remember how they were hyping Project Reality. It was the same PR job before 2 years before launch. EGM was going on and on about how it would change gaming, how it would invent new genre. I'm sure we could dig up articles about the cube It's the typical console pre-hype for the next gen. Thing is Nintendo has lost the shine of their brand name in this current generation, and thats why they are turning to gimmicks.

We're going to start hearing absolutely crazy statements from Reggie, those people at Sony and the Microsoft PR dept any time now. I cant wait for the first wave of "OMFG WE COULD RENDER EPISODE 1 IN REAL TIME ON A PS2" and "IT WILL BE LIKE JACKING INTO THE MATRIX" type statements.

/me slists his wrists

goomba

Banned
"Remember how they were hyping Project Reality. It was the same PR job before 2 years before launch. EGM was going on and on about how it would change gaming, how it would invent new genre."

Well it did.. with mario 64

Gamecube was underhyped, remember the 6-12 million polys figure.. when sony and microsoft were talking 10 times that amount.

Top Bottom