• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game |OT| Gotta Collect them all!

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
These cards are coming to the US with Guardians rising in May. Just ordered 4 Decidueye.
You're right I just read the articles I thought they were part of the SM2 card reveals that have begun to pop up. Dammit​ it's going to be more annoying to deal with Deciplume Decks at the League I go to..I'm gladly anticipating the rotation at this point because that means alot of Decks I been dealing with since I came back to the TCG last year will die in the Standard.

Miles X

Ever have one of those really intense matches? For about 20+ turns I was just holding out until he drew to the end, kept swapping my water pokemon around with Manaphy, making them stronger each time evolving them to megas and adding belts and such, his pokemon getting stronger every time.

I lost when he got down to 3 cards left, but it was the funnest match in ages!

RoadDogg

So my son hit his eye tuesday night before the storm and had to get stitches. I bribed him with cards to sit still for it and picked them up today.

He picked the last sun and moon pack and a charizard ex box. He wound up with a full art lillie in the pack and one of the evolutions packs in the box had a full art mega charizard ex in it. He lost his mind when he got it. It was great to see. We have to figure out an easy fire deck for him now but most of his fire guys use too many energy.

johnsmith

remember me
So my son hit his eye tuesday night before the storm and had to get stitches. I bribed him with cards to sit still for it and picked them up today.

He picked the last sun and moon pack and a charizard ex box. He wound up with a full art lillie in the pack and one of the evolutions packs in the box had a full art mega charizard ex in it. He lost his mind when he got it. It was great to see. We have to figure out an easy fire deck for him now but most of his fire guys use too many energy.

Ouch, sorry to hear about him getting hurt.

As for a deck I got you fam
88-blacksmith1.jpg

Wanna step it up? Add a battle compressor to get the energy in a discard pile
$_12.JPG

Finally add a vs seeker. Use battle compressor to search out the 2 energy + the blacksmith into the discard, and use the vs seeker to grab the blacksmith from the discard.
1062230.jpg

MacAttack

These cards are coming to the US with Guardians rising in May. Just ordered 4 Decidueye.
One of us! One of us!

I'm hoping these guys will be a viable decidueye counter with victini and oricorio coming in the next set:
Of course, aqua patch will rain on my parade.

Ever have one of those really intense matches? For about 20+ turns I was just holding out until he drew to the end, kept swapping my water pokemon around with Manaphy, making them stronger each time evolving them to megas and adding belts and such, his pokemon getting stronger every time.

I lost when he got down to 3 cards left, but it was the funnest match in ages!

Long, competitive games are the best, especially when its an upset and one side is just barely hanging in. Decking out can be a major buzzkill in these situations.

Stencil

I'm sure you get posts like this all the time, but i was at Target looking to pick up a boardgame for me & mine (I have none, and there aren't a lot of game stores in my area,) and they were positioned RIGHT next to the trading card section. It took every ounce of strength not to buy a Pkmn TCG booster pack just to feel that nostalgic rush of opening one.

That fresh ink smell. I want a cologne of that smell.

Poppy

how on earth does anyone manage to play this game in paper, its like so many things cause you to search and shuffle your library, dont games end up taking forever? hell even with fetchlands i cant see magic being this bad

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
how on earth does anyone manage to play this game in paper, its like so many things cause you to search and shuffle your library, dont games end up taking forever? hell even with fetchlands i cant see magic being this bad
Matches can take anywhere between 5 minutes to 20 minutes and I would like to think that if your going to be playing a TCG in person than that person is already inherently patient to begin.

Miles X

Matches can take anywhere between 5 minutes to 20 minutes and I would like to think that if your going to be playing a TCG in person than that person is already inherently patient to begin.

Do you have to know all the cards inside out? Like working out resistance, item cards affecking damage/resistance ect. Sometimes I've expected to do a certain amount of damage and I've done less/more and that's with easy look access to all the cards on the board.

Xion_Stellar

Do you have to know all the cards inside out? Like working out resistance, item cards affecking damage/resistance ect. Sometimes I've expected to do a certain amount of damage and I've done less/more and that's with easy look access to all the cards on the board.
You're making the game sound more complicated than it actually is but to answer your question it's the player's responsibility to keep track of all the stuff the Online game does for you.

Damage counters are usually tracked with dices,coin filps can be done with a coin or dice, status effects can be tracked via markers provided by Elite Trainer boxes you buy,if you're unfamiliar with a Pokemon card, Trainer Card or card effect you're opponent used you are allowed to see the card your opponent used (after politely notifying them that you're unfamiliar with it) and if you're unfamiliar with a card ruling than you can either ask for assistance from the more experience players or a Pokemon Professor while playing in a League. If you're playing outside a League thou Google is your best friend regarding card rulings.

Ouch, sorry to hear about him getting hurt.

As for a deck I got you fam
[/IMG]

Remember, if you played these cards, they are banned from standard format. They (except for VS Seeker) can only be used in expanded.

Especially when you go against an EX deck which is basically:
7 Cards in hand
Play bench pokemon, ultra ball, grab Hoopa EX, Play Hoopa to Bench, Grab Shaymin EX and you're 2 EX backups, play Shaymin to Bench, Play all your hand aagain, play N/Sycamore.

For Froakie sake this first turn is pure arse. This Shaymin EX/Hoopa EX combo forces you to be patient.

The new BS you have to sit through now is people and doing everything on turn 1 into Decidueye GX to the point after turn 1, they may even be left with 20 cards.

MacAttack

The new BS you have to sit through now is people and doing everything on turn 1 into Decidueye GX to the point after turn 1, they may even be left with 20 cards.

Since both players will be item locked, the forthcoming turns should be much shorter. :lol

fwiw, nightmarch was absolutely brutal to play against in terms of searching their deck. Also, Seismitoad before Lysandres Trump Card was banned.

johnsmith

remember me
Been playing decidueye/vileplume all day on ptcgo. It's the real deal. And it's only going to get worse with the next expansion. May-September is going to be awful.

75% win rate for a deck I'm just learning, and I'm definitely not playing optimally is insane.

1upsuper

Have any recent-ish sets included shiny versions of Pokemon? I remember obsessing over the gold star shiny cards when I was knee-deep into the Pokemon TCG like a decade ago, and then a few years ago there were some shiny form Pokemon cards that weren't nearly as difficult to pull but were still secret cards, or whatever you call cards that have numbers beyond the listed number for each set.

johnsmith

remember me
Have any recent-ish sets included shiny versions of Pokemon? I remember obsessing over the gold star shiny cards when I was knee-deep into the Pokemon TCG like a decade ago, and then a few years ago there were some shiny form Pokemon cards that weren't nearly as difficult to pull but were still secret cards, or whatever you call cards that have numbers beyond the listed number for each set.

A few. Magikarp, Gyarados, Mega Gyarados, Mega Gardevoir, Xerneas, and Yveltal. Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head, but there might be more.
These are the basics versions, there's also some secret rare and full art versions of some of these.

XYP_EN_XY143.png
XY9_EN_26.png
XY9_EN_27.png

XY11_EN_79.png
G1_EN_RC31.png

XYP_EN_XY149.png
XYP_EN_XY150.png

1upsuper

A few. Magikarp, Gyarados, Mega Gyarados, Mega Gardevoir, Xerneas, and Yveltal. Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head, but there might be more.
These are the basics versions, there's also some secret rare and full art versions of some of these.
Thank you! Kinda wish they'd do more. None of these really grab me aside from the Magikarp.

Xion_Stellar

I went to a League Cup yesterday with my Umbreon GX Deck and I won 3 matches but I lost 3 matches. I lost twice to a Mega Mewtwo Deck and I lost once to a Zygarde EX Deck. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of Tapu Lele GX so I can hit those Mwga Mewtwo Decks for weakness but as for Zygarde EX there's isn't much I could do since most of my Pokemon are weak to Fighting Type.

There was alot of Mega Mewtwo Decks floating around and a few Deciplume Decks but I never got to fight a Deciplume Deck.
They gave away a SUM Pokemon League Nest Ball Promo but unfortunately I didn't pull nothing good in particular from my packs.

johnsmith

remember me
Tapu Lele's attack isn't affected by weakness or resistance

Energy Drive
エナジードライブ 20×
This attack does 20 damage times the amount of Energy attached to both Active Pokémon. This attack's damage isn't affected by Weakness or Resistance.

Still an amazing card though.

sora87

What other pokemon could i include in an break xerneas deck? I was thinking of a few gardevoir ex's but not sure what else.

Xion_Stellar

Tapu Lele's attack isn't affected by weakness or resistance

Energy Drive
エナジードライブ 20×
This attack does 20 damage times the amount of Energy attached to both Active Pokémon. This attack's damage isn't affected by Weakness or Resistance.

Still an amazing card though.
Dammit I completely forgotten about that! Looks like I'm going to have to figure out how to the deal with Mega Mewtwo another way.

johnsmith

remember me
What about a normal Sylveon, or mr mime to protect my bench?
Bench damage from attacks isn't really a problem right now. Umbreon isn't very good, and there's not much Fright Night Yveltal being played, and does nothing to prevent Decidueye damage.

Not sure which Sylveon you're referring to, but none of them add anything to this deck, imo.

sora87

I was just wondering cause Sylveon has an attack that can remove an energy from the opponents active, and it can do 150 damage in 2 turns. I was thinking mr mime because my friend uses a break greninja deck and he always wrecks my bench with the abilities.

Anyway i went with 2 gardevoir ex and 2 megas. 3 xerneas and 2 breaks. spirtzee and a aromatisse.

johnsmith

remember me
I was just wondering cause Sylveon has an attack that can remove an energy from the opponents active, and it can do 150 damage in 2 turns. I was thinking mr mime because my friend uses a break greninja deck and he always wrecks my bench with the abilities.

Anyway i went with 2 gardevoir ex and 2 megas. 3 xerneas and 2 breaks. spirtzee and a aromatisse.

Mr Mime doesn't prevent Greninja damage from abilities, it only protects from bench damage from attacks

XY8_EN_97.png

If you just want to counter Greninja go with this
P3658PC_290-80286_02.jpg

That Sylveon just doesn't do enough and doesn't help your strategy of accelerating energy.

Mr Mime doesn't prevent Greninja damage from abilities, it only protects from bench damage from attacks

XY8_EN_97.png

If you just want to counter Greninja go with this
P3658PC_290-80286_02.jpg

That Sylveon just doesn't do enough and doesn't help your strategy of accelerating energy.
That Giratina card is actually pretty cool but still not a good counter measure for reasons below.

That's a nice card, think i'll use it in my mega mewtwo deck haha
I've been running Greninja Break for a good 6 months now. I've been adapting it to constantly fit the new format and new Pokemon. I also have a Mega Mewtwo Y deck and gone against plenty. The Giratina card just isn't worth the space. Garbodor has a been a huge pain in my arse for months now. I've found a counter tactic which is to Lysandre Garbodor into the active, play XY Evolutions Rattata and then start Giant Water Shurikening everything again. If the opponent also plays a Garbodor or Hez Maniac your Giratina will be useless. There isn't any point in a Mega Mewtwo deck to play an ability card when your going for raw damage or using damage change if Shrine of Memories is in play.

There also aren't any Break Pokemon used outside of Greninja Break and that card has heavily dropped due to Decidueye-GX just being a better overall set. You might find someone using Talonflame Break, Delphox Break and Yanmega Break after Greninja and the only Breaks with decent abilities is Starmie, Delphic and Greninja. If you're going to shut off a a Breaks ability, you may as well shut off all Pokemon abilities with Garbodor. It is a much better setup and gives you the same effects.

What's more frustrating as a Greninja Break player, is that Garbodor can use any tool. If you do end up losing float stone via Rattata, you can attach any tool you want. My friend a few months back bad a dick move by putting a Mewtwo Spirit Link on it. On turn 2. You can play your entire hand, put Trubbish out and if you do play a Wally, you can evolve into Garbodor, put on a random tool including spirit link, and on turn one, no abilities can be played. The normal route would be to just play Ultra Ball on turn 2 to find Garbodor since you would be running Wally but it is a potential route, just not the best for Mega Mewtwo.

From personal experience I hate Garbodor. It shuts down Greninja Break and is the ultimate counter to it.

JDdelphin

Sigh.

So I've been back to collecting for a bit.
Father/son bonding activity.

He got an elite trainer box for christmas and we get boosters every now and then for a reward, a tin every now and then for the fun of it- etc,etc...

So there's this dollar store by where I work downtown- and they have a big box of pokemon cardpacks. For a buck. Looking at them, they're fakes- but they're cheap and could be fun so I snag the whole box.

I open up a few packs and there are some with the 5000 hp nidorans, the ones with the wonky colors, and some that seem pretty close but have the weird foil types and some seem fairly legit...

I come home the other day and to suprise me, my little man has opened and resorted all those cards with all the other cards we had.

The 5000 hp nidorans and the 9000 hp vulpix I can weed out, but some of the others...

Any easy tips on spotting fakes?

A lot seem to have little rock/paper/scissor hand icons on them- those can't be legit, right?

Eesh. What a mess.

Any easy tips on spotting fakes?

A lot seem to have little rock/paper/scissor hand icons on them- those can't be legit, right?

Eesh. What a mess.

Get one you know is fake like the 5000 HP Nidoran and hold it up to a light. If you can see through it, use that to sort the fake ones.

Maybe fake cards have gotten better since I was in middle school and you can no longer see through fakes. If that's the case, you're going to have to look for things like the yellow border being inconsistent and generally bad printing.

johnsmith

remember me
Omg, I need this for my Decidueye deck with Lillie sleeves

HMyzR18.jpg

LfhwfSN.png

Played Decidueye/Vileplume for the first time IRL today at a league challenge. Went 4-1 (with a bye). Deck is pretty good.

Poppy

i am not good at pokemon the trading card game but hot damn do i feel like single elim queues in tcgo is the biggest coin flip of all time. here i am with my kinda shit but admittedly annoying grassy vileplume lurantis deck like oh boy i cant wait to maybe get an instant win or have some hard carry lurantis action

and then i first match against some fast energy volcanion nonsense and i am ON FIRE CONSTANTLY HELP IM DOOMED

makes me want to be like HUH FINE TIME TO FIND SOME KINDA ANTI FIRE DECK

and then i could do the same when facing a mewtwo or darkrai deck and keep switching and be a scrub forever

in conclusion i am having fun, its just funny to get so goddamn roasted over type matchups sometimes

edit: also i misplayed into success by not doing damage math and leaving his lugia at 10 thus letting him kill my lurantis, but then he only had one prize left and i topdecked N to reduce his hand from 9 to 1 and proceeded to sweep for 5 prizes because he couldnt get back into it through vileplume and stuff. this game is such a swingy mess, it is hilarious

Omg, I need this for my Decidueye deck with Lillie sleeves

Played Decidueye/Vileplume for the first time IRL today at a league challenge. Went 4-1 (with a bye). Deck is pretty good.
Yeah I need that card. That is really nice! Also, congratulations on your win.

i am not good at pokemon the trading card game but hot damn do i feel like single elim queues in tcgo is the biggest coin flip of all time. here i am with my kinda shit but admittedly annoying grassy vileplume lurantis deck like oh boy i cant wait to maybe get an instant win or have some hard carry lurantis action

and then i first match against some fast energy volcanion nonsense and i am ON FIRE CONSTANTLY HELP IM DOOMED

makes me want to be like HUH FINE TIME TO FIND SOME KINDA ANTI FIRE DECK

and then i could do the same when facing a mewtwo or darkrai deck and keep switching and be a scrub forever

in conclusion i am having fun, its just funny to get so goddamn roasted over type matchups sometimes

edit: also i misplayed into success by not doing damage math and leaving his lugia at 10 thus letting him kill my lurantis, but then he only had one prize left and i topdecked N to reduce his hand from 9 to 1 and proceeded to sweep for 5 prizes because he couldnt get back into it through vileplume and stuff. this game is such a swingy mess, it is hilarious
Welcome to Pokemon, son!

MANUELF

Banned
Forgot to mention that I bought a Giratina blister pack and my only good pulls were a Garbodor holo and a Bronzong reverse holo

Poppy

Lurantis GX/Vileplume isn't that good. I think you might have gotten it confused with Decidueye GX/Vileplume.

Nobody has found a great use for Lurantis yet, but partnering it with Solgaleo seems to work best at the moment. http://some1spc.com/lion-doesnt-sleep-tonight-solgaleo-gxlurantis-gx-standard-format/

Forest and Vileplume are both rotating from standard in September, but will still be playable in expanded.

just wanted to say thanks for that link, i have been having a lot more fun with the deck you linked than vileplume junk. its fun to unload solgaleo or genesect and reload with lurantis. also i really like how genesect takes care of all the glaceons running around that threaten to wall my evolutions. havin fun! i still get rekt by volcanion decks a lot though

RoadDogg

So where do I preorder a guardians rising box on the cheap? Is $90 the best I am going to do? Am I better off waiting to see if they fixed the presort/mapping stuff?

Top Bottom