• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma ships 1 million worldwide, plans to develop brand into franchise

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As a side note, our current sell through data is:

92K NPD
Unknown Europe (maybe BKK can help here)
437,248 in Japan

I would guess it's at least 65-75%.

Though, for Capcom's largest ever development team outside of Resident Evil 6 and a development cycle of 3-4 years, probably not ideal.

AndriaSang said:
Dragon's Dogma Tops One Million Shipped
one min. ago
Anoop Gantayat

Worldwide shipments for Dragon's Dogma have crossed the one million mark, Capcom announced today. View the press release here.
Source: http://andriasang.com/con1n8/dragons_dogma_million/

---

Update:

Press Release said:
Global Shipments of "Dragon's Dogma" Top One Million!
- Capcom plans to develop this entirely new brand into a major franchise -

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) is pleased to announce that worldwide shipments of "Dragon's Dogma" for the "PlayStation® 3" and Xbox 360® have surpassed one million.

"Dragon's Dogma" is a completely new action role-playing game in which players enjoy various adventures in an expansive open world setting. The fantasy world of this game includes swords, magical powers and many other elements. The main character, which is the player, had his heart taken away by a dragon. The player then embarks on a journey to get rid of the dragon, but must solve a number of mysteries along the way. The game has become very successful by combining spectacular action with the characteristics of a social game, in which players can borrow and loan pawns with friends through online interaction. "Dragon's Dogma" set a new record in Japan for sales volume of an entirely new brand in its first week for releases during the past decade. Worldwide shipments have surpassed one million. As a result, "Dragon's Dogma" has become Capcom's 55th title to top the one million level, demonstrating once again that Capcom ranks among the world's leading game producers in terms of technical and development skills.

"Dragon's Dogma" is part of Capcom's basic strategy of establishing game franchises through the creation of new brands. This game was developed with the goal of creating another pillar of earnings for Capcom alongside "Monster Hunter" and "Sengoku BASARA". To further increase the value of brands used for its content, Capcom will continue to utilize a variety of initiatives that include the continuous distribution of downloadable content.

Capcom plans to add more titles to the lineups of its core game franchises while introducing original titles as well. By focusing on these measures to enlarge the lineup of content under development, Capcom aims to maximize earnings.
Source: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e120625.html

Boss Man

I'm really pulling for this game. The idea of putting a lot of resources towards a big project that developers genuinely want to work on is a good thing. I'd love to see games like this, that have a lot of care poured into them, become more common.

Takao

Banned
Totally glad that it did decent enough. Here's to hoping capcom doesn't deem it as a failure.

This game is the most expensive game in Capcom's history, and took over almost their entire Japanese development teams for years. They'll make sequels to save face, and make money off of reusing stuff, but oh boy it's Dragon's Bomba for a reason.

Hopefully this means Dragon's Dogma 2! With a weather system, a much better NG+ and more loot! Shit was so awesome, it was like Dark Souls meets MonHun

pdf_161.png

DMeisterJ

Banned
I'm curious to see the June NPD numbers for the game. Last month only accounted for one week of sales.

Aside from extreme or rare cases, the first week or two of sales normally is thhe highest NPD it'll see. This is a little different since May was a 4 week month, and June was a 5 week month, and it was only 1 week, but somewhere in the neighborhood of it's first week sales is likely. Maybe a little more or less.

This game is the most expensive game in Capcom's history, and took over almost their entire Japanese development teams for years. They'll make sequels to save face, and make money off of reusing stuff, but oh boy it's Dragon's Bomba for a reason.

Eh. No doubt some of the overpriced dlc is helping the books, but it can't be profitable with these sales. 300+ people for 3 years or more? Like you said, crazy expensive. Maybe we will see a wii u port so they can ship another 100 k or something.

It isn't a bomb though. That title should be reserved for the likes of dark voids.

nyong

Banned
Bring it to the PC and I'll do my part and pick up a second copy. Actually, my hope is that Dark Souls PC does remarkably well and they do just that.

Takao

Banned
Eh. No doubt some of the overpriced dlc is helping the books, but it can't be profitable with these sales. 300+ people for 3 years or more? Like you said, crazy expensive. Maybe we will see a wii u port so they can ship another 100 k or something.

It isn't a bomb though. That title should be reserved for the likes of dark voids.

Oh, there's pretty much no way Capcom makes money off of this first release. That said, it wouldn't be the first to have one entry lose money but the franchise to continue onwards. I'm no expert so I won't talk definitively, but once you have the game's general concept, engine, visual style, etc. nailed it'll probably be easier (and therefore cheaper) to release sequels. Their press release for this channel stuffing even says they plan on still making it a brand. So I fully expect to see a Dragon's Dogma 2, and Dragon's Dogma Portable or something eventually.

And yeah, this first one is a bomb. Something can sell a lot of copies and still be a bomb, ask THQ.

Striek

I was interested in the title but not in picking between a version with screen tearing or a version with a shitty framerate. If it gets a PC port or its improved technically with a sequel I'll pick it up.

I was interested in the title but not in picking between a version with screen tearing or a version with a shitty framerate. If it gets a PC port or its improved technically with a sequel I'll pick it up.

missing out on one of the best titles this gen. 100+++ hours and counting

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
As a side note, our current sell through data is:

92K NPD
Unknown Europe (maybe BKK can help here)
437,248 in Japan

I would guess it's at least 65-75%.

Though, for Capcom's largest ever development team outside of Resident Evil 6 and a development cycle of 3-4 years, probably not ideal.

Source: http://andriasang.com/con1n8/dragons_dogma_million/

Uhhh, wasn't the original plan 4 million or something? I know they lowered expectations a few times as it got closer to release.

Might as well get on the Wii U port. Make some easy launch window sales Capcom. Drop it on PC next to help round it out. Wanting to sell 10mil and seeing this figure so low at this point must hurt.

klee123

Yay, this means DD2 is confirmed.

They better release some good dlc or substantial expansion packs fast. The bosses besides online ur are getting piss easy.

Might as well get on the Wii U port. Make some easy launch window sales Capcom. Drop it on PC next to help round it out. Wanting to sell 10mil and seeing this figure so low at this point must hurt.

If I were Capcom

What I would do is make a G version, which would be $15 DLC for existing copies, that adds improvements, better quests, new monsters, etc. and release it for Wii U and PC next year as standalones.

Then announce a sequel for next-gen systems.

aeolist

Banned
If I were Capcom

What I would do is make a G version, which would be $15 DLC for existing copies, that adds improvements, better quests, new monsters, etc. and release it for Wii U and PC next year as standalones.

One week later Capcom announced a Vita-exclusive spinoff and said it is a test to determine the future of the series

demigod

I would DEFINITELY get it on the Wii U again if there's no screen tearing and maybe 60fps. This game would greatly benefit from the tablet, I really hate having to go into start menu in order to look up the map.

I expect ports and a quick iterated sequel to help spread this initial cost and turn it into an overall return. Pretty much all they can do, I don't see them hitting 1.5m as is and given the scale of the project I doubt that was a break even point either.

I have a feeling RE6 isn't going to do near as well as projected either.

If I were Capcom

Someone at Capcom is reading this and completely disagreeing with you. Sadly :(

I would DEFINITELY get it on the Wii U again if there's no screen tearing and maybe 60fps. This game would greatly benefit from the tablet, I really hate having to go into start menu in order to look up the map.
Yep. This sort of game is golden for the Gamepad. The extra horsepower would really do them some good as well.

Kolgar

I just loaded up GAF to find the official thread and say:

The more I play this game, the more excited I am about playing it. And I've got to be 40 hours in right now.

This is my game of the generation.

Coming off of RE4, arguably the most well-received RE game ever, RE5 hitting 5-6 million seems reasonable.

But as the second game of a generation, at the end of a generation, for older/existing IP entering the generation, after a less critically received sequel....

I still think 7 million is optimistic for RE6. Maybe the marketing will push it there.

Derrick01

Banned
The game was ok. It could have been really special but they made far too many mistakes so hopefully a sequel and a PC version can fix them all.

Top Bottom