• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2k sports announces The BIGS (MLB Extreme)

2K Sports Announces Larger-Than-Life Baseball Action with ‘The BIGS’

2K Sports Throws Big-Time Heat with New Extreme Addition to Major League Baseball Lineup

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--2K Sports, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (Nasdaq: TTWO), announced today a unique, new sports title that adds more explosive excitement to baseball video games than ever before - The BIGS. This over-the-top baseball action title puts an entirely new spin on Major League Baseball as it blends outrageous visuals and intuitive gameplay mechanics to bring fans a brand new MLB video game experience.

“The BIGS is sure to turn a few heads as it pioneers a completely different way of playing an MLB video game,” stated Greg Thomas, President of Visual Concepts, a 2K Sports studio. “2K Sports is always looking to deliver the most innovative and eye-catching sports video games to fans and The BIGS is one of 2K Sports’ most dynamic titles to date.”

Developed by Blue Castle Games, The BIGS brings blazing graphics to huge proportions with larger-than-life MLB player models and ballparks. Featuring fantastic pitching, batting, and fielding animations, gamers can also take advantage of spectacular power-ups with outrageous special effects. As a standard for all major 2K Sports titles, The BIGS features online play for up to four players, making it a grand slam for online baseball battles.

At the helm of The BIGS is Dan Brady of Blue Castle. Dan is best known as the creator of and Technical Director on the EA Sports MVP Baseball series of games. Joining Dan at Blue Castle is a number of experienced baseball developers, including Jason Leigh – the Lead Designer of MVP baseball. “This is an extremely exciting time for fans of baseball videogames, as Blue Castle Games has assembled an absolute all-star lineup for this game,” stated Greg Thomas.

The BIGS will be available for the Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 and PlayStation®2 computer entertainment systems, the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, and Nintendo’s Wii™ home video game console. The BIGS is slated for release in summer 2007.

Busty

Banned
I've read this twice and I still have no idea what they are talking about. An 'extreme' take on Baseball?

PFFFFTTTTT.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Andokuky said:
A new type of baseball game? Pioneering a new way to play baseball games? Guess they never heard of Slugfest.

Wow a PR spin from...PR... way to pick them apart!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
What frustrates me about this...is that supposedly this guy was working to make their real baseball game better. They added a new title to development? Ugh.

edit: so this isn't the same guy that's working on mlb2k7? Good. Well, the more baseball games the better if they're separate teams. Slugfest was not very good.

At the helm of The BIGS is Dan Brady of Blue Castle. Dan is best known as the creator of and Technical Director on the EA Sports MVP Baseball series of games. Joining Dan at Blue Castle is a number of experienced baseball developers, including Jason Leigh – the Lead Designer of MVP baseball. “This is an extremely exciting time for fans of baseball videogames, as Blue Castle Games has assembled an absolute all-star lineup for this game,” stated Greg Thomas.

The exodus from EA continues....Ben Brinkman, the lead gameplay designer for MVP, went to 2K as well...

They're wasting that MVP Baseball talent on this? **** them, they should put them on the MLB 2k series and throw Kush onto this throwaway shit

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
GitarooMan said:
They're wasting that MVP Baseball talent on this? **** them, they should put them on the MLB 2k series and throw Kush onto this throwaway shit

I wouldn't let Kush touch a game that involved a bat :(

This game has at least 12 people on it who have been involved with MVP since the series' inception. At the very least, the team knows baseball really well.

penguini

Banned
2020bb.jpg

:)

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
One would think they'd at least get a handle on making a good/great regular ol' MLB game versus this...

So will this be Soccer Slam: Baseball Edition?

Tiktaalik

I don't understand why people are being so critical about this. It's an arcade baseball game. We've had those before. They're usually pretty fun.

Pimpwerx

Hmm, I was hoping for something more like Baseball Stars for the NES and less like the sequel to Baseball Stars (Baseball somthing 20xx...something like that). I don't like the idea of powerups and unrealistic batting. I'd prefer if they focus more on a fantasy baseball game with stat tracking and owner mode stuff. Baseball Stars HD, in essence. PEACE.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
SolidSnakex said:

meh. Am I the only one who thinks that motion blur is ****in overrated, and wtf is up with the particle effect with the bat swing. With that in mind, i'm still suspicious that this is a bullshot.

Fifty

I think it's good that they're embracing the fact that the MLB 2K franchise is a joke and is better suited as an arcade game.

this is just a clever ruse by 2K to hide all the horrible bugs and glitches in MLB2k. Instead of making it so your outfielders CAN'T climb the Green Monster in Boston to rob a homerun, they just call it "eXTReme!"

Jim

Mifune said:
Oh wow, look at all the 2K7 bashing from people who have barely touched it.

It's a good game, damn it.

?

You are responding from people who posted last October...

Mifune

Mehmber
Drek said:
But its not nearly as good as MLB 07 The Show.

Of this I have no doubt, but if you want a good next-gen baseball game before the season is a month old, it fits the bill.

Top Bottom