• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman Clive Sales: 3DS > Android > iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckpebble

I got it on my 3ds and i was really enjoying it. Then i missed a jump and died. My character came back to life and i realized i got infinite lives. I really didnt like that aspect of the game. Havent played it ever since.

Yeah, I think the way lives are handled in this game is the way to go. You get a tally of attempts upon completion. I'm on my third save file trying to see how low I can get that number.

jackal27

Banned
Thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed Gunman Clive! I have it on my PC and 3DS. It also just makes more sense to play a game like this on a console with buttons.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to see that it worked out for you on the eShop. I bought the game last week, great stuff.

Awesome little game, well deserved!

Though I had some crashes on my 3DS... During the Train Boss fight the game froze and hard locked my 3DS three times in a row, always when he was spewing water at me (or is it fire...?). Then suddenly it worked. Haven't replayed that section since I had the issue...

beril

Though I had some crashes on my 3DS... During the Train Boss fight the game froze and hard locked my 3DS three times in a row, always when he was spewing water at me (or is it fire...?). Then suddenly it worked. Haven't replayed that section since I had the issue...

Yes that's a known issue and an update is on the way

MarkusRJR

iirc there were issues on a certain boss if you were playing in 3D. Play it in 2D and it'll be fine though.

EDIT: Beaten. :p

also

Banned
Thanks for the interesting breakdown of the DD markets. I'm really curious to see how the eShop version will fare in the long run.

For those that are thinking about picking up this game:
If you are not sure about which version to get, get the 3DS version. It has two new playable characters, one of which plays kind of similarly to Clive, while the other one is completely different and all kinds of awesome. The 3DS version also keeps track of your completion time for each level, so you can speed run them and if you are fast enough you get a star next to your time. You will really appreciate the level design when you are trying to shave off the seconds and get those stars.
Beril also previously mentioned that he gets roughly the same revenue no matter which service you buy GC from so get it on the eShop if you can.

The Boat

Congrats on the success! I got it for iOS, but if I had known it would come to 3DS I would have waited since I hate virtual buttons. I'll probably double bite someday if I have money to spare.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I applaud your decision not to take the route of charging way more for a console/handheld version of your game than the smartphone/PC version. Those easy impulse buy price points are a huge part of why smartphones are eating handhelds' lunch. The quicker console devs get it through their thick skulls that keeping their cheap games cheap pays much better dividends than tacking on an arbitrary upcharge, the better.

Doesn't hurt that it's a very good game!

Sanic

I barely use any middleware, so my engine is pretty easy to port. All the other versions use OpenGL but this one uses Nintendos custom graphics library (OpenGL is available for 3DS as well but Nintendo recommends not using it as it's apparently slower). The sound libs are different on all platforms, and I just use the default nintendo libs on 3DS.

Cool, thanks for answering.

Since this is sort of turning into an ask me anything type of thread, would you mind divulging if there were any technical difficulties in porting to the 3DS? Did you have to change up how you handled memory, things like that? You don't have too get specific if you don't want to, but i'm curious :)

Congratulations Beril... Swedes do it better!

By the way, I bought the game the day it was released on the PAL eShop. I loved it and this thread reminded me that I have to complete it the third time, with the third character...

It is nice to see how eShop can make indie games succeed; that's a huge improvement over the DSiWare, which was quite lackluster (Keith Webb, I hope you're considering to re-release Kokopolo on eShop so to find the success your game deserves!). I guess the reason is that it's still a quite young system so there are no many releases but still this doesn't assure instant sales.

Platy

Congrats !

Could you tell more about the 3DS dev kit ?

Prices, how it was, how much it took for you to get familiar with it, how did you manage to get it (don't you need an actual office for your company ? Or that was only the WiiU one ? ) and what is the language you used on it ?

Anything you want to talk about it .. really xD

Deband

Awesome game. Also thanks for the insight.

Everyone else in this thread needs to work out what a spoiler tag is.

MrKaepora

Glad is doing ok for you OP. I have intention in buying this in the future, there just are too many good games in the eshop to look for but you can count on this future costumer.

Yes Boss!

beril,

Just wanted to mention that the hand-tinting effect (with the bleed over) on certain objects was a really nice gesture for fans of silents.

Hero

How did I not know this was made by a GAFer? Will definitely +1 on the 3DS eShop sales. D-pad seems pretty integral to my enjoyment.

Thanks for the information. Very cool and insightful to how the indie scene is these days. Really pathetic that Steam Greenlight is so bad.

I think the fact that it isn't 10x the price of the mobile version (plants vs zombies, angry birds) probably helps. The gaming community will always buy quality games as long as they aren't being ripped off in the process.

While I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your statement I think the two examples you chose aren't the best. Plants vs Zombies is 7.99, I think it's normally 4.99 on the iOS App Store? Despite the price difference, PvZ is in the top 20 eShop all releases chart and has almost 14,000 ratings. On iOS it has 17,500 ratings. While I'm not directly relating ratings with sales, on the eShop you need to have played the game for at least one hour before you can return to give it a rating. I'm sure PvZ is quite profitable for Popcap/EA.

Also Angry Birds Trilogy has sold like 500,000 copies on 3DS despite being an order of magnitude more expensive than iOS/Android versions.

Spierek

Could you tell more about the 3DS dev kit ?

Prices, how it was, how much it took for you to get familiar with it, how did you manage to get it (don't you need an actual office for your company ? Or that was only the WiiU one ? ) and what is the language you used on it ?
Seconding that question.

I basically just applied on warioworld. I'd had some previous contact with NOE when I was at Might&Delight (though we never did anything for their platforms in the end) so that might have helped speed up the process a bit
Was it hard to pass the Developer Authorization?

n64coder

I'm curious which store gives you the best profit margin? That is, for the same number of sales, is the eShop more profitable or is Itunes better?

Empty

cool. i really enjoyed my time with it and am glad it's doing well, especially on 3ds as it's hard to imagine playing a tight platformer like that with touch. i mean i'm sure it's fine like with super crate box ios but it's nice to be able to have these mobile sized and priced games on button devices when that control scheme fits so well.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I've bought both iOS and Android versions. I just wanted to thank you for supporting hardware controllers on Android.
Congratulations on the success.

M-PG71C

I bought the game a week ago on a whim. It reminded me of a mix between VVVVV and Sunset Riders. I've not been disappointed whatsoever.

The eShop is seriously taking all of my money between indie releases and VC. I didn't know a GAFer made it so all the better in my book. :)

Well deserved success. Wouldn't have bought or even downloaded this for free on my ipod or my android phone due to lack of buttons so thanks for porting it! Nice that you see a return on your investment.

eggwolio

Gives me some warm fuzzies to know I contributed to the early success on eShop. I had money in my eShop account and was considering something else(I've already forgotten what) when I remembered this had just been released. I figured early sales are usually pretty important to the success of a product, so I triple dipped. I got it first as a freebie from the Amazon Appstore, then liked it so much that I bought the Greenlight Bundle for it, and now have it on 3DS as well. It's truly a gem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom