• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

latest info from the last scan of Zelda:PH translated

Teasel

Or, known in Japan as “Zelda no Densetsu: Mugen no Sunadokei”. The story kicks off when Link’s friend Tetra, leader of the pirates, get abducted by a ghost ship. Now Link must go rescue her!

This week’s issue of Famitsu introduces the underwater shrine that you go adventuring in. The catch is the place is cursed and your HP will drop slowly while you’re in there. And that’s where the Phantom Hourglass comes in. Using it will protect you from the curse for a limited amount of time.

But how do you refill it? Well, you’ll have to go around exploring islands marked out on your sea charts and defeat bosses to get some more “Sands of Time”.

Sounding exciting so far!

http://xcomp.gam*brink.com/?p=790
sounds kind of annoying though maybe this will help with making the game more challenging

Saterium

But how do you refill it? Well, you’ll have to go around exploring islands marked out on your sea charts and defeat bosses to get some more “Sands of Time”.

boxlwk8.jpg

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
And I guess that's the official mechanic that was introduced before, that would only allow you to explore so much of the main dungeon before you have to exit, explore other areas, and find ways to expand the amount of time you can spend in that main dungeon.

Deku

Banned
It's unconventional and I can't really fault them for trying. Though I understand the old linear dungeon progression system would be m ore palatable to some fans.

commissar

Um...okay? Certainly unexpected.

I'm sure it'll still be good as Majora's Mask had a similar reaction to the "you've got three days" thing, and that turned out to be awesome :]

Saitou

Banned
Wario64 said:
My frothing demand for this game has dropped like a brick.
Well, that means you once did have a frothing demand for it.

Some of us were cautiously unoptimistic. It paid off.

...Tetra?

Wario64 said:
What? My frothing demand for this game has dropped like a brick.

Didn't we know this game was going to have a big dungeon that you'd explore over time? What's different now?

edit: why are people calling this a fetchquest? Sounds like a giant dungeon with a bunch of subdungeons that let you explore the main one.

ethelred

Deku said:
It's unconventional and I can't really fault them for trying. Though I understand the old linear dungeon progression system would be more palatable to some fans.

And I'm the exact opposite.

Me, I love that they're taking so many unconventional approaches with this game, given how formulaic the series has been for so long. I really, really enjoyed Twilight Princess, but I just can't get into the idea of playing another game like that again right now... or even for years from now, honestly. It was great, but where do you go from there?

So I'm excited by the fact that the controls are different, the dungeon progression is different, the layout and pacing of the game is different, that there's lots of multiplayer options... if they toss in some additional non-linearity and freedom for the game, too, then that'll really be fantastic.

Brobzoid said:
fetch-quest: the game?

It doesn't sound like fetch questing. It sounds like you have your one main dungeon (as they've said before) but you're limited in how much of it you can explore without going out and accomplishing other smaller dungeons and killing bosses.

That's not what fetch quests are -- fetch questing is "The bridge is broken. Can you go to the village down the road and get some soap and give it to the guy in the manor to the east so he'll give you a saw that you can use to chop down a tree in the forest to the west so the engineer trapped in the mine (that you'll be going to, natch) can fix the bridge."

Visualante said:
Didn't Miyamoto express regret regarding the Wind Waker's fetch quest?

He needs to get Aonuma on a tighter leesh.

Miyamoto either needs to make the games himself and free Eiji up to go and do different stuff, or back the **** off and let Aonuma's team do what they want with the series.

ethelred said:
And I'm the exact opposite.

Me, I love that they're taking so many unconventional approaches with this game, given how formulaic the series has been for so long. I really, really enjoyed Twilight Princess, but I just can't get into the idea of playing another game like that again right now... or even for years from now, honestly. It was great, but where do you go from there?

So I'm excited by the fact that the controls are different, the dungeon progression is different, the layout and pacing of the game is different, that there's lots of multiplayer options... if they toss in some additional non-linearity and freedom for the game, too, then that'll really be fantastic.

It doesn't sound like fetch questing. It sounds like you have your one main dungeon (as they've said before) but you're limited in how much of it you can explore without going out and accomplishing other tasks. I like it.

Miyamoto either needs to make the games himself and free Eiji up to go and do different stuff, or back the **** off and let Aonuma's team do what they want with the series.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Tisan said:
Um...okay? Certainly unexpected.

I'm sure it'll still be good as Majora's Mask had a similar reaction to the "you've got three days" thing, and that turned out to be awesome :]

yeah, that was kinda what I was thinking, majora's mask is my favorite (3D) zelda, manly because it's so refreshing. hopefully this will work.

Wario64 said:
Time limits in general turn me off.

that's different though, the fear of getting hit in a dropping-hp game is so strong. I get so frustrated.

ethelred said:
It doesn't sound like fetch questing. It sounds like you have your one main dungeon (as they've said before) but you're limited in how much of it you can explore without going out and accomplishing other smaller dungeons and killing bosses.

That's not what fetch quests are -- fetch questing is "The bridge is broken. Can you go to the village down the road and get some soap and give it to the guy in the manor to the east so he'll give you a saw that you can use to chop down a tree in the forest to the west so the engineer trapped in the mine (that you'll be going to, natch) can fix the bridge."

I know what a fetch quest is... It's just that part about finding maps and going around digging shit up that triggered the fetch-quest memory from ww. If I need to buy a ****-load of maps from tingle again I'm gonna hack the game so I can kill him.

ethelred said:

Very little is known, but this format of going from island to island- in order to progress in a story that you're detached from doesn't sound promising.

When I think about it- it is a portable game and perhaps fragmenting the story would make more sense. However a single climax is a real turn off.
ethelred said:
:lol

Johnas

Count me in with ethelred and co., sounds like a refreshing take on a portable Zelda. I still wish it was on Wii or GC for the graphics alone, but it looks pretty nice as it is.

ethelred

If you don't want your HP to drop, then based on this info... you go and kill bosses so that your HP doesn't drop. Explore dungeons, kill bosses. Isn't that what most people usually do in these kind of games anyway?

Visualante said:
Very little is known, but this format of going from island to island- in order to progress in a story that you're detached from doesn't sound promising.

The format of going from island to island isn't promising? Exactly what did you expect in a game based on a water world filled with islands? Would it be better if you were confined to a single, solitary island? Because otherwise, uh, you're kinda going to have to go to different ones. And I don't see why you'd be any more detached from this story than any other Zelda.

Visualante said:
When I think about it- it is a portable game and perhaps fragmenting the story would make more sense. However a single climax is a real turn off.

I have no idea where you're getting this stuff.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
It wasn't exactly the island/water-nature of WW that made exploration somewhat tiresome. It was the lack of dungeons and the uh... non-user-friendly sailing. Mostly the sailing. I'm pretty sure that's been fixed this time around.

arab

hmm.

from what i read of it, i assumed that the underwater dungeon is the final dungeon which you can enter but can't survive unless you get sands, and sands are obtained from other dungeons.

so from my understanding, it's like an ordinary zelda except the final dungeon isn't inaccessible until the one before it, but rather impossible to beat without the other dungeons sands.

course i could be wrong

stewacide

I like the idea of a main/boss dungeon you can only progress through by beating side dungeons. I wouldn't mind that mechanic in a full console Zelda one bit: so long as you 'energy' only drains in the main dungeon (i.e. not in the overworld or other dungeons) shouldn't be too bothersome / makes the boss dungeon properly foreboding.

p.s.
...love the SPM take on this :lol :lol :lol

Majmun

Hype -100

I really hate it when games have forced gameplay.

Majora's Mask was awesome though. Hmmm...

Chris Michael said:
What did I tell you constantly GAF? This game is going to suck, **** Nintendo for a nondefinitive Zelda experience on the DS.

There was a time when inventiveness and newness was a definitive part of Zelda.

WHY ARE THERE GOOMBAS IN LINKS AWAKENING OMG ARGGH AND HE WALKS SIDEWAYS AND SHIT AND ITS NOT HYRULE UNNNGHH FLUTES AND A BIG CARP

Natsume

I think you are all being too pessimistic about this. I personally didn't enjoy the time limit in LoZ:MM but by the sounds of it, it is only the time in the dungeons which are limited which should be absolutely fine. It's a Nintendo game so I can't imagine it being very unfair time wise.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Chris Michael said:
What did I tell you constantly GAF? This game is going to suck, **** Nintendo for a nondefinitive Zelda experience on the DS.

I better call the pie store and up your crow order from fifteen to twenty.

disco

At first i thought it didn't sound too bad. Then someone ruined it comparing it with Metroid Prime Echoes. Thanks GAF.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
The story kicks off when Link’s friend Tetra, leader of the pirates, get abducted by a ghost ship. Now Link must go rescue her!

OMFG. Not again, WTF Nintendo... can't you imagine a different concept than captured princesses? I have tons of write ups with ****ing great stories just taking Wind Waker's end as a begining.

I'm deceived, very deceived. I can't see a good future for the Zelda series. Someone kill Aonuma!

And the hurry up theme... well, can be good enough done correctly. I just want a gameplay design that fits very shorts plays (5 minutes max). I wouldn't have finished Minish Cup without the GBA player!

Remember Nintendo, 5 minutes max!

ant1532

Banned
WOW.

Lol, what are all you complaining about? This is how EVERY Zelda is. I don't understand the bitching.

It basically reads this, "Tetra gets Kidnapped, can't get her until you travel to several dungeons beat bosses, and go in final dungeon and rescue" It sounds like when you get all the key items from the dungeons(the sands) the whole HP falling thing won't matter.
tanasten said:
OMFG. Not again, WTF Nintendo... can't you imagine a different concept than captured princesses? I have tons of write ups with ****ing great stories just taking Wind Waker's end as a begining.

I'm deceived, very deceived. I can't see a good future for the Zelda series. Someone kill Aonuma!
You play Zelda for the story?? It's a freaking handheld game and you want to ruin it with some fan-fanction love story... awesome.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I hate "dropping HP" type games. I can think of so many games where I've hated it: MP2 in the Dark World, Prince of Persia: Two Thrones, Otogi, and many, many more. I don't like being RUSHED like that.

If they want to add a larger time limit that adds a sense of urgency but still leaves things primarily up to me-- see MAJORA'S MASK-- that'd be sweet.

BUT...the idea of having a larger dungeon solved by completing "metadungeons" sounds particularly neat. I just hope there isn't too much travel time.

ivysaur12

Banned
tanasten said:

You people scare me sometimes.

Do you guys ever wonder if being one of the biggest gaming boards on the net is a good thing?

tanasten said:

I know I do.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
tanasten said:

:lol :lol :lol

Rufus

Second said:
I really hate it when games have forced gameplay.
Don't you mean pressuring gameplay, or something? Because a game is almost always defined by a set of rules you have to follow, no matter what. (Except when it's fun to **** around with the game world.)

tanasten said:
What would it matter? I mean, the series isn't exactly known for a compelling storyline and it doesn't have to either...

I don't like time constraints much, but if it's just in the dungeon it's not as bad, I guess. I wouldn't want to feel hounded all the time. Above that, I got a little sick of the same old formula. Maybe that'll shake things a little up for the better. Maybe.

Duderz

Banned
Luna104 said:
don't get me wrong, I love Zelda and i want to explore, but only when I want to. I don't want to be pressured into exploring in order to get some element that will buy me more time.

so no one's with me?

Nope. And nice edit, but it sounds like you're the dumb one here.

This whole time mechanic reminds me of the bitching Majora's Mask got from the casual Zelda fan about the constant timer from the world ending. After Aonuma's job with, gee, every Zelda he's been involved in, I think I'm going to give him a little credit and trust that this design is what's best for this Zelda.

mugwhump

I hate time limits too.... but it sounds like it's only for a tiny portion of the game, so I don't think I'll really care.

Top Bottom