• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Games producing new game for Nintendo

Shiggy

Northfield resident Richard Garcia is working in a “recession-proof” industry on Division Street. He’s a video game designer for a company he founded 13 years ago called Monster Games.
“People will still pay for entertainment,” Garcia said, adding that profits throughout the video game industry are mostly on the rise, despite the national economic slump.
Garcia credits the steady increase to the growing public acceptance of video game playing as a “valid” form of entertainment. Nintendo’s recent widespread marketing of video games as “something for the whole family” with its latest “Wii” system has accelerated that acceptance, he said.
The success of the industry might be helping Garcia’s business thrive, but he said his location has also been a plus. The Twin Cities has a deep pool of talent, he said, and he can usually have his pick of designers since few other video game engineering firms exist nearby. Competition would be much stiffer on the West Coast, he said. Garcia has also hired a number of Carleton College graduates. Garcia, a Saint Paul native, is a 1988 graduate of Tufts University outside Boston.

Right now, the 20 employees at Monster Games are working on a top-secret video game for Nintendo. They’ve worked on it for two years and are nearly finished. The process is so private the designers must darken their monitors when the bottled-water deliveryman enters the office.
The company won Yahoo’s “Best Racing Game of 2006″ award for its last game for the Nintendo Wii called “Excite Truck.” Wendy’s fast-food restaurants across the nation, including the one in Northfield, promoted the game with Excite Truck kids’ meals. But, Garcia said, he believed few Northfielders ever realized the game’s designers lived right in the city.
Garcia is married and raising two daughters, who aren’t quite as avid video game players as he is, he said.
“I encourage them as much as possible,” he said, laughing.
The only bump Garcia foresees for the company in the near future is securing another contract with a video game developer once the contract with Nintendo ends.
“It is kind of nerve-racking,” he said. “Because, with this kind of work, it’s like having to find a new job every two years.”

http://locallygrownnorthfield.org/post/6017/

The project was started in December 2006, so it should be revealed soon. Will it be the rumored F-Zero? Let's wait and see ;)

Shiggy

Wii said:
PLEASE BE EXCITE TRUCK 2!

Would that make any sense? Excite Truck was started in December 2005 and finished in October 2006, eleven months of development. Their new project must be something larger!

Slavik81

Shiggy said:
Would that make any sense? Excite Truck was started in December 2005 and finished in October 2006, eleven months of development. Their new project must be something larger!
Excite Truck 2 AND 3?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
surfer girl:
23) Monster Games is developing another game for Nintendo, that is not an Excite Truck sequel.
3) F-Zero is coming to Wii and possibly, but probably not, being developed by Monster Games (according to someone with a rather legimate email address).

Stitch

Gold Member
Shiggy said:
Excite Trucks VS Street Fighter :O

Fantastical

Death Prophet
CoolS said:
What games did Monster Games do before Excite Truck? Were they any good?
Wikipedia brings up:
# 1998 - Viper Racing (PC)
# 2000 - NASCAR Heat (PC)
# 2001 - NASCAR Heat 2002 (PlayStation 2, Xbox)
# 2002 - NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (GameCube, PlayStation 2)
# 2004 - Test Drive: Eve of Destruction (PlayStation 2, Xbox)

And if this is not Excite Truck 2 this is disappointing. :( We need a bigger, better, online game of Excite Truck.

Emotions

I'd gladly takes both a new F-Zero and a new Excite track. These are the kind of racing games i like along with Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing. Please Nintendo.........

Davidion

Wait, wait, wait, wait.

EXCITE TRUCK VS. F-ZERO: BATTLE ROYALE

I know it's true, I know it's true, I know it's true, I know it's true, I know it's true, I know it's true, I know it's true, I know it's true, I know it's true.

jibblypop

Banned
excitetruck is one of my all time favorite racing games. if they make anything for nintendo i just hope it's another racing game.

Dartastic

EXCITEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

excitebike.jpg

EXCIIIIIIIITETTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

vlcsnap-11401741.png

yoopoo

Banned
Wow good timing - I was wondering last night what tis developer was doing. Don't think it'll be a direct sequel to Excite Truck. That game didn't do much at retail.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Rumored to be F-Zero? Really? Well I guess we knew it couldn't be Sega... does it not sell enough for Nintendo to do it them-selves anymore?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
jj984jj said:
Rumored to be F-Zero? Really? Well I guess we knew it couldn't be Sega... does it not sell enough for Nintendo to do it them-selves anymore?

The last entries in the series underperformed heavily.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
bigmakstudios said:
It should be called Excite, or Excitement, and have a wider range of vehicles. Bikes, trucks, cars, etc.
That would be great. I think the problem with the first one is just that it was a bit rushed. Given 2 years, (although reports say that this isn't Excite Truck 2) the game could turn into something really awesome. And the graphics on the first one really weren't that bad considering it was a launch game... I'd like to see what they can do now.

acidviper said:
So its Kid F-Zero Excite Truck II online???
Wrong. The full name is... Kid F-Zero Excite Truck II: Pikmin 3.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
jj984jj said:
Hey, Excite Truck was awesome, I fully trust Monster Games to produce the goods if they are indeed working on F Zero.

Still, I would rather Excite...something!

Top Bottom