• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gaming Mice: Post your rodent! (keyboards welcome)

mandiller

I just picked up a Razer Mamba yesterday and I'm loving it so far. Such a nice mouse! You can use it wired or wireless, it's really comfortable and you can change the dpi easily.

UkVqA.jpg

Rflagg

Since this thread is up anybody mind giving me a tip on if I should get a Naga and stick with a normal keyboard or go with something like a g110 and mx518.

Background the game that would most benefit form this, and the reason I am looking at the upgrades, will be swtor or maybe future mmos. I will be waiting to see if enjoy the game enough to justify either purchase and it is possible I would upgrade the other part (mouse if I go keyboard first for example)

I am just hoping for some tips about which would be more beneficial for mostly mmo player or if either is worth the cash, I have always played with standard issue equipment before so any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

my microsoft intellimouse explorer 3.0 is the best mouse i have ever used. i simply cant use any other mouse. :) ive used several logitech and razer mice, but i still always come back to my trusty intellimouse. i love it to death.

microsoftintellimouse30v200.jpg

Somnid

wireless-gaming-mouse-g700.png

Traded in my G7 about 6 months ago and never looked back. I've yet to see anything better, the tracking, macro keys, scroll wheel type switching, and ability to do wired and wireless is so awesome.

I also have one of these:
17680.png

Really quite a neat device if for no other reason than it's ergonomic. Endlessly handy for programming too.

My keyboard is a G15. I'd like to trade up to a G19 some day but it's not that big a deal.

God, Logitech gear is so awesome. Never had a single complaint.

Helmholtz

main.jpg

en-US_Razer_BlackWidow_Gaming_Kybd_DHF-00098.jpg

Logitech G5 and Razer BlackWidow. I've had the G5 for years and I love it. I'd probably get another one if this one broke, or at least something similar. The BlackWidow I've had for a couple months, it's also pretty awesome. I wanted a mechanical keyboard but wasn't prepared to spend more than 50-60 dollars and this one does the job fine. Typing on non-mechanical keyboards is really weird now.

I also recently got a Blackwidow. It was relatively affordable and it's SO nice to type on. I feel as though I may have spoiled myself, though.

Randomizer

medium_sidewinderx888.jpg

Sidewinder X8. Does anyone know why it has those extra feet hidden in it's wireless Hub? Are they superficial or do they offer different resistances levels or something?

I have a Logitech MX600 cordless mouse and fucking hate it.

1. The middle button is loose and just doesn't feel right when you press it. This was outlined in the reviews online but I chose to ignore it. Eventually I got used to it but still...

2. The zoom on the mouse goes crazy once or twice a day... it keeps zooming in non-stop and you have to fucking press the button over and over till it stops spazzing.

My Logitech wired keyboard has a major issue as well. The wire ripped and opened where it connects to the keyboard... it's like bent and the rubber casing opened up and you can see the wires. This causes it to turn off with any slight movement and I have to pull the plug and put it back in to turn it on again or sometimes just move it around. I'm never buying a Logitech device again. Gave them 2 shots. Don't care what anyone says... cheaply made garbage. I have old ass Microsoft/IBM keyboards that still work like 10 years after the fact and this pos wire breaks because they were too cheap to make the casing sturdier.

BY2K said:
I have the same.

Best. Mouse. Ever.
I'm hearing good things about that ugly looking abomination. I'm kinda surprised as many people own it because it's so visually offputting lol.

But! It looks like it has the features to back it up. Just curious, why do you (and any other R.A.T. 7 owners on GAF) like the mouse?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

JoeBoy101

Rickenslacker said:
I'm hearing good things about that ugly looking abomination. I'm kinda surprised as many people own it because it's so visually offputting lol.

But! It looks like it has the features to back it up. Just curious, why do you (and any other R.A.T. 7 owners on GAF) like the mouse?

I tried it and though the customization was very impressive, I didn't like it that much. The thumb part kept sliding out of place (yes, even tightened) and overall felt a bit too large in my hand. Instead, I'm working on:

Logitech-G500-Gaming-Mouse.jpg

and

microsoftkeyboardfeb2010.jpg

I had a logitech G110, but the macro buttons at the far left were right up with the keyboard and the same height, and when I went to hit tab, hit them accidentally.

Moaradin

I love my Razor Naga. I bought it in preparation for SWTOR but it works good for all games, especially RPGs and/or MMOs

Radec

Got this for about $40, pretty handy wireless keyboard.
logitech-dinovo-keyboard-mac.jpg

and this fucker right here
IMG_3009.jpg

and a steelseries qck mousepad.

Van Buren

razer-naga-gallery1.jpg

Razer Naga. Used a Lachesis very briefly prior to the Naga, but the Logitech G5 made me too used to the palm grip, and the Lachesis feels uncomfortable with the palm-grip.

razer-blackwidow-ultimate-gallery1.jpg

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate. Retired my G15 for this. While I miss displaying evga precision/ msi afterburner on the LCD screen of the G15, the Blackwidow's mechanical keys have made it very hard to go back to a membrane keyboard.

Razer-Vespula-Gallery7.jpg

Finally, the Razer Vespula mouse pad.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
All the ridiculous keyboards in here make me extra happy with my wireless apple keyboard, it's small, it's got the perfect keys and feedback, and it looks a million times sexier.

mattiewheels said:
All the ridiculous keyboards in here make me extra happy with my wireless apple keyboard, it's small, it's got the perfect keys and feedback, and it looks a million times sexier.
You don't know about perfect keys and lookin' sexy until you have a Filco under your fingertips.

Dennis

Banned
mattiewheels said:
I have that too but come on now....for gaming and long bouts of typing?

Madrical

Banned
IMG_0167.jpg

From the pickup thread, got a RAT 9 and a Razer Blackwidow about a month or two ago. Love them both, especially the RAT. It's so incredibly smooth and feels amazing. Not to mention it looks awesome.

Terrible photo though, my bad.

How appropriate that this tread should pop up now as I was just planning on buying a new keyboard and mouse tomorrow.

Right now I'm rolling with a Razer Lachesis & Lycosa, both of which I bought around two years ago, but the Lachesis been acting up for a while now and the left ctrl key on my keyboard isn't what it used to be.

*See previous pages for pics posted by other people*

I was thinking about upgrading to a Mamba and Blackwidow.

razer-mamba-gallery10.jpg

400x400_RAZER-BLACKWIDOW-ULTIMATE.jpg

Razer's products have worked pretty well for me in the past and I love their aesthetic as it goes well with my desk/PC and all of my other peripherals.

Well, I've recently done a big upgrade to my entire setup (except for the mouse - go figure) but I think it's appropriate to post it all here.

So here's a pic of the setup from front on.

1zkng.png

So anyway, here's my mouse - Logitech 518. I've bought about 4 of these over my life, eventually the pads underneath wear out, the buttons become less clicky and they just wear out through over use. But I've never felt comfortable with any other Mouse. I'd be happy to upgrade to something better but nothing else has ever felt as good in my hand as this, I think it's because I'm so used to the shape. Anyone else had a similar situation? If anyone else has moved from a 518 to something else please let me know? I'm happy with it because they're also relatively cheap and therefore not expensive to replace every few years.

268rn.png

Then there's my pride and joy at the moment... well part of it, the G19 :D

338ep.png

And a screen that I made for it using AIDA64 just yesterday... yes I custom put this together myself, so that I could have every single feature and detail of information about my computer that I would ever want whenever I would want as I play or do what I want, it's like having a Motec computer in my car, but almost better... perfect I say.

4k02i.png

Then I've got a G13. I'm a big supporter of these game pads. I could never go back to a normal keyboard now. Well I could, but my god, is it good to use one of these, the customisability is great, but the comfortability and ease of use is great. I'm still sort of getting used to it, but it's almost like an unfair advantage in games. There is also the Razor Nostromo pad, but this has more buttons and I like it better, almost better than the G19 keyboard and I got is so cheap! $30 AU which is cheap. Not to mention the way I've got my desk setup with the mouse to the right and the G13 to the left it's much more comfortable to sit with my arms spread on angles than mouse and keyboard the old way.

6pwc9.png
7svxr.png

Then there's my Thrustmaster Hotas X Joystick. Just got this a few days ago. Been using it in BF:BC2 so far to fly heli's and it's glorious, will use it more in other flight sim's when I get around to it. I've wanted a good flight stick for such a long time, and it's pretty darn good quality, lots of great buttons, very tight, good quality, but not too over the top. Only thing that I don't like is the extra plastic on the base of it because I always seem to bump my mouse into it, but that's a minor gripe.

Overall, I think I'm pretty happy with everything in my setup now :) Could do with a newer mouse, but the 518 has proved worthy for such a long time now :)

mattiewheels said:

apple wireless keyboard is way terrible for gaming. Also, the feedback is really bad since I'm used to the feel of mechanical keyboards.

The only time I use mine is for my laptop.

commissar

how loud are the blackwidows/filco keyboards? It's the one thing that puts me off mechanical.

I use a logitech dinovo edge which I love to death and a razer diamondback which I have ruined the front feet of by not using a mousepad for years :n

might have to buy a new mouse soon ]:

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Ohhh... I like this thread!

My gaming rig setup:

5945062593_63de02da6d_z.jpg

Alienware TactX keyboard
Alienware TactX mouse
Steelseries SX glass mousepad
Razer Armadillo cord holder
Gamecom 777 headset (not pictured)

My main iMac setup:

5945060603_8a25f4e634_z.jpg

Microsoft Arc keyboard
Razer Pro|Click mouse
Alienware hard mousepad

And my "portable gaming" setup:

5945621964_bc318f1f1b_z.jpg

Razer Orochi wired & wireless bluetooth mouse
Razer Kabuto washable mousepad

Van Buren

commissar said:
how loud are the blackwidows/filco keyboards? It's the one thing that puts me off mechanical.
They're very audible, but I'm used to them, and have even grown to rely on the sound as an aural feedback.

Even if they were twice as loud as they currently are, I'd still pick them up without a second thought, since their performance cannot be overstated.

vaelic

Banned
Curufinwe said:
I'm still using the Logitech G5 with one thumb button I bought in 2007. The middle mouse button has got easier to click over time. When I first got this mouse it was almost impossible to click the middle mouse button without accidentally pressing it left or right and registering as a horizontal scroll instead.

logitech-g5-laser-mouse-20050818053629725-000.jpg
same here. best mouse

Salsa

I had an MX518 aka the best mouse in the world

then it broke, and i started using some generic Genius one

to tell you the truth, i play pretty much the same. Im still gonna get another one someday, but it made me realize that the mouse differences are overrated. At least IMO.

Hejdlond

After having owned like 12 different mice (IE3, MX518 and so on) and tried out something in the 20 range I have now found my ultimate mouse. Small and simple, fits my claw grip just perfectly :)

ibTp5q.jpg

Zaptruder

Banned
SalsaShark said:
I had an MX518 aka the best mouse in the world

then it broke, and i started using some generic Genius one

to tell you the truth, i play pretty much the same. Im still gonna get another one someday, but it made me realize that the mouse differences are overrated. At least IMO.

Much marketed DPI and tracking wankery that's infected gaming mice in the last 10 years is in my opinion pretty much just a placebo thing (not to say the performance difference isn't there in the mice - but it just doesn't make much if any difference to most gamers when actually using it - its something the brain adjusts for quickly).

On the other hand, extra buttons that you can program are the shit.

Kudos to all the Logitech G700 recommendations. Best mouse I've had period (and I've tried plenty).

Grassy

IcedTea said:
TwC2V.jpg

j55pG.jpg

Went from a Copperhead to an Imperator myself, and I've been really happy with it.

Brofist.jpg

I've had this combo for just over a month now and it's awesome. I also have a Goliathus "control" mousepad.

Fularu

Banned
mattiewheels said:
I don't care about a "sexy" look, I care about precision, responsiveness, gaming and buit quality

The apple wireless keyboard is trash

G9 represent. Aside from the completely atrocious scroll wheel button, that one gets zero representation. With mouse acceleration off, this mouse feels completely godlike when it comes to precision. Too bad I'm too much of a scrub to become good at Quake Live with it.

Also considering getting a new keyboard, them Mac keyboards really aren't very good for gaming. Then again it's probably the only one I can fit on my desk to begin with, so meh.

YoungFa

TyrantGuardian said:
G9 represent. Aside from the completely atrocious scroll wheel button, that one gets zero representation. With mouse acceleration off, this mouse feels completely godlike when it comes to precision. Too bad I'm too much of a scrub to become good at Quake Live with it.

Also considering getting a new keyboard, them Mac keyboards really aren't very good for gaming. Then again it's probably the only one I can fit on my desk to begin with, so meh.

Whats wrong G9 scroll wheel??

Top Bottom