• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.
aaahhh, Stephen Harper called me his "friend" and wants me to donate money to the party because Trudeau is "undoing all of his accomplishments".

lol

djkimothy

http://www.680news.com/2017/04/20/trudeau-defends-supply-management-wants-fact-based-trade-talk-u-s/

http://www.680news.com/2017/04/20/strident-trump-targets-canadian-trade-energy-lumber-dairy/

This is going to turn into a shitshow very soon...

edit: To add onto this, NAFTA is the reason why the US enjoys low oil prices: their domestic oil production pales in comparison to what they import on a daily basis and the cost of bringing domestic production up is astronomical. The instant Trump signs an executive order on foreign oil is when the American people will pay through the nose.

Jean Charest made a good interview on Power and Politics yesterday and I feel like the Canadian position is still pretty strong and Trudeau's team has a strong ground game with the states. This despite the fact that I'm not in favour of supply management.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/924802115587

Apathy

Trump has said that every country needs to put themselves first when it comes to deals (which is impossible because then no deal would ever get met if everyone wants to get the better end of the stick). He can go fuck right off with telling us what to do with our dairy products.

SRG01

aaahhh, Stephen Harper called me his "friend" and wants me to donate money to the party because Trudeau is "undoing all of his accomplishments".

lol

I'd call the party right back and ask them to name one accomplishment that actually made a material difference to middle-class Canadians.

The only thing that is remotely close to being a worthwhile accomplishment is the TFSA, but like the RRSP it only benefits people who have money to save in the first place.

Jean Charest made a good interview on Power and Politics yesterday and I feel like the Canadian position is still pretty strong and Trudeau's team has a strong ground game with the states. This despite the fact that I'm not in favour of supply management.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/924802115587

I'm starting to feel as if this is a negotiation 'tactic' on Trump's part: puff himself up beforehand to look big and tough.

djkimothy

I'd call the party right back and ask them to name one accomplishment that actually made a material difference to middle-class Canadians.

The only thing that is remotely close to being a worthwhile accomplishment is the TFSA, but like the RRSP it only benefits people who have money to save in the first place.

I'm starting to feel as if this is a negotiation 'tactic' on Trump's part: puff himself up beforehand to look big and tough.

Earlier in the episode, the panel was discussing that it was no coincidence that he made that announcement in Wisconsin. State of Paul Ryan. And that he needs to get support if they want to pass that tax reform bill. I don't know if it's 4D chess at play but it does look a lot like posturing. I mean, he wants to re-open a deal that sees their dairy industry making 400$ million from Canadian imports. OK, Trump, make that more fair for Canadians then?

Pedrito

I feel like people still over-analyse what Trump says and does. He probably got to Wisconsin and asked someone "what would get me the biggest cheer around here" and the answer was "dairy". Then he probably talked to a dairy lobbyist who told him that Canada was destroying the US industry. So it's now Trump's new obsession until he find a new one in two days. And he didn't even tweet about it so he probably doesn't even care that much.

Apathy

I feel like people still over-analyse what Trump says and does. He probably got to Wisconsin and asked someone "what would get me the biggest cheer around here" and the answer was "dairy". Then he probably talked to a dairy lobbyist who told him that Canada was destroying the US industry. So it's now Trump's new obsession until he find a new one in two days. And he didn't even tweet about it so he probably doesn't even care that much.

too bad that his words have actual consequences simply because he is the president, whether he means them or not

gabbo

But Trump doesn't exist in a vacuum, so even if he couldn't find the state he's in on a map or as is more likely, read the actual trade numbers with us, his base is going to howl and it will become a political hot potato until such time as its dealt with somehow (might just be us talking to him ala China and NK), it might not.

Dear Mr Harper,

I give you my genuine thanks for getting rid of the penny. As for everything else you did, kindly choke on your wife's shit.

Regards,
AuthenticM

CazTGG

Where does Turks and Caicos fall in that timeline?

Right before we steal Puerto Rico but after Northern Ireland secedes from the U.K.

Right after we merge with Cuba and become Canuba just to piss the US off.

This is the future former Liberal PM Pierre Trudeau wanted.

pierre-trudeau-fidel-castro.jpg
but who will pay for the breaking off and moving of Scotland across the Ocean huh? THE MIDDLE CLASS THAT'S WHO

Clearly, it's an excuse for elitist, out-of-touch Justin to go on more vacations!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
One good thing about the Liberal regime is that they are apparently planning to implement name-blind resumes for Federal public sector jobs to remove implicit bias. I wonder if it'll catch on in local governments.

Sean C

I can't believe we're advocating a future in which we could potentially be informally calling our leader "Emperor Justin".
A history of the next century:

Emperor Justin I, reigned July 1, 2017 to October 13, 2054.
Emperor Xavier I, reigned October 13, 2054 to June 5, 2056.
Empress Ella-Grace I, deposed her brother in a coup, reigned June 5, 2056 to November 17, 2098.
Emperor Justin II, reign began November 17, 2098, human immortality discovered April 1, 2119.

Apathy

A history of the next century:

Emperor Justin I, reigned July 1, 2017 to October 13, 2054.
Emperor Xavier I, reigned October 13, 2054 to June 5, 2056.
Empress Ella-Grace I, deposed her brother in a coup, reigned June 5, 2056 to November 17, 2098.
Emperor Justin II, reign began November 17, 2098, human immortality discovered April 1, 2119.

when do we create warp-drive technology and when do the mutated human navigators start coming in?

Anyone have an iPolitics subscription? They have a detailed breakdown of how CPC membership is spread out across Canada. A coworker was talking about the numbers with me yesterday, but I didn't read the full article.

In any case, from what she said, reality lines up with perception: if you're a CPCer in Quebec, you likely have a wildly disproportionate say in the leadership vote. As the brief part of the story not behind a paywall says, there are several ridings in Quebec where each voter is worth 2.5 points. That's in contrast to, say, Medicine Hat, where each voter is worth 0.02 points.

Based on that, I think the winner will be either Bernier or O'Toole. At one point Bernier claimed to be getting 90% of all Quebec donations, but since then O'Toole won the endorsement of the party's most well-respected Quebec MP (Gerard Deltell, who helped them sweep Quebec City in 2015). One of them is going to come out of that province with a massive advantage in points, and then it'll be a matter of who can drag themselves across the finish line.

Yep. Just look at this picture:

That's ​from his most recent attack on Canadian dairy/lumber/energy. He may be talking about it, but none of it is planned ahead of time -- they literally have him ad-libbing remarks. Yes, it does become policy once he says it, but thinking this is part of a clear-cut strategy is giving him way too much credit.

back from Portugal. Milk is cheap, cheese is cheap, dairy products are cheap there.

now, look at our Dairy Cartel, (especially Quebec mafia state Dariy Cartel price hiking).
Our dairy prices are FUCKED UP!!!!!

Trump is a blow hard, yeah. But LOL our Dairy Prices are NOT NORMAL in the industrial Western World.

US dairy is affordable. EU dairy is affordable. Canadian dairy is expensive. Quebec dairy is criminally expensive.

so as for dairy. hmmmm fuck the dairy cartels

Sean C

Based on that, I think the winner will be either Bernier or O'Toole. At one point Bernier claimed to be getting 90% of all Quebec donations, but since then O'Toole won the endorsement of the party's most well-respected Quebec MP (Gerard Deltell, who helped them sweep Quebec City in 2015). One of them is going to come out of that province with a massive advantage in points, and then it'll be a matter of who can drag themselves across the finish line.
I tend to be skeptical that the endorsement of an MP will mean all that much, unless he's got a real machine behind him (though with membership totals that small, perhaps it has more weight in this case).

But I've tended to think that Bernier has a huge advantage because of the Quebec weighting. If he makes it into the top 2 against any of the various not-really-bilingual candidates in the top tier, you'd have to assume he's getting virtually all the points from Quebec, and that's half of what he needs to win. He could lose the rest of the country by two-thirds and still win.

From what I'm told, Deltell is the one Quebec MP who has a machine behind him. I know quite a few CPCers who were disappointed he didn't run, and I've heard from a few different places that Deltell's endorsement means more than anyone else's, apart from Harper and maybe Mackay endorsement. Like you, I don't think most individual endorsements carry a lot of weight, but with the way the race is set up and has with how much weight Quebec has, I could see Deltell doing it.

Sean C

According to that iPolitics piece, PEI has 632 CPC members across four ridings.

Of course, not everybody who is a member will vote, so the skew in some ridings in Quebec could be even greater.

gabbo

Yep. Just look at this picture:

That's ​from his most recent attack on Canadian dairy/lumber/energy. He may be talking about it, but none of it is planned ahead of time -- they literally have him ad-libbing remarks. Yes, it does become policy once he says it, but thinking this is part of a clear-cut strategy is giving him way too much credit.

I'm not sure if I find this scarier or not

Pedrito

I'm not sure if I find this scarier or not

I would vote for "or not". It shows that he has zero ideologies and we've seen already that his team is completely inept when it comes to implementing policies aside from short executive orders.

The best thing we can do is to not rock the boat so he forgets we exist and hope that he gets impeached or resign sooner than later. Even if doesn't, we'll negotiate with actual grown-ups*, not him, and he'll probably go along with them in the end.

Standing up to Trump, like it's being suggested by the left and the right, might make us feel superior for a day or two, but it would be a terrible strategy.

*Well, maybe not. But they probably won't be as crazy/dumb as Trump.

gabbo

Standing up to Trump, like it's being suggested by the left and the right, might make us feel superior for a day or two, but it would be a terrible strategy.
It's a strategy designed to make Emperor Justin look weak/inept regardless of how he handles Trump.
Stand up to Trump and tank our economy because he's too busy taking selfies with his shirt off or going on town halll trips to see retaliation coming. Don't stand up to the man-baby authoritarian-wannabe and he's too weak to fight for Canadian's interests.

CazTGG

I imagine Bernier will win if it comes between him and O'Toole, not that either are particularly great options.

Is that fucking sharpie on a crumpled 8.5 by 11 piece of paper? :( Dear Lord.

They need to be written in bigly for his tiny eyes to see.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I'd be more in favour of getting Turks and Caico to join us than Scotland. We don't need another wintery grey region to join us. We need sunshine and a lot of it! I want our own Hawaii dammit!

I'd be more in favour of getting Turks and Caico to join us than Scotland. We don't need another wintery grey region to join us. We need sunshine and a lot of it! I want our own Hawaii dammit!

I say we make a deal. We'll give the UK a good trade deal, they give us the Turks and Caicos. Its a win/win for everybody involved

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Yoooo I just caught up on the whole dairy farmer situation with Trump. He needs to shut up immediately ugh... I like Trudeau's answer in interview so far though. Keep it steady boy!

Cranster

Banned
It looks like the experiment is starting soon.

Ontario embraces no-strings-attached basic income experiment

Forty years ago, they were among almost 2,200 Manitoba households that participated in ”Mincome," a three-year federal-provincial experiment that sent unconditional monthly payments to low-income families as a way to combat poverty and streamline social programs.

There was little analysis of the project at the time due to a change in government and political priorities in the late 1970s. But a 2011 study of Mincome turned up some interesting findings about the rural community of Dauphin, Man., where the Richardsons and Wallaces lived and where all low-income households were eligible to participate.

Hospital use in the area dropped, including admissions for accidents and mental health problems, according to University of Manitoba researcher Evelyn Forget. Meanwhile, the rate of high school completion increased compared to similar towns at the time.

This month, Ontario is launching its own pilot project to see what happens when low-income families receive monthly payments with no strings attached.

Policymakers want to know if a so-called ”basic income" would improve health, housing, and employment outcomes for Ontarians.
As someone who has been struggling to find and keep fulltime employment I hope this succeeds, I've almost given up hope of trying to pay off my debt and getting my own place again.

CazTGG

I forgot, but isn't there a Scandinavian country that has a guaranteed minimum income?

A couple have, however it's worth noting that Finland or Denmarks's population i.e. the potential amount of people to cover with minimum income, is a mere fraction of what would be necessary in a more populated country (Quebec alone has a greater population), so Ontario attempting to introduce this is a major development that, hopefully, the rest of Canada and other countries will soon follow should it be successful. The only problem I could see depends on whether the project does or doesn't see completion/integration prior to the upcoming election in Ontario. If that doesn't happen, then short of another screw-up on the PCs part, it's likely the conservatives will come back to power and no doubt remove this project under the guise of a "cost-saving measure" before it ever gets a chance to take off.

Google just sent me a survey through their survey app, containing the question: "What does the word "conservative" mean to you"?

Christ lol.

I'm really liking how fast the Basic Income idea is picking up steam. Hopefully the trial comes out as a success and nobody messes with it. Unfortunately however, I have a feeling that the PCs are going to cancel this so fast when they get in after the next election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom